• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

05 AVY cladding air deflector

BLUEavyZ71

Anyone noticed that 05 Avy with clads have air deflector panel under the front bumper?  After seeing a number of deletions on model newer than 02's, GM added the air deflector to the 05's  ???

I think it makes the Avy more stable during the high speeding or it has something to do with the electric fans.  I am not sure if the air deflector looks better or yet weird with that clad bumper.  Any of you former 02 owners and driving 05' clads can tell us more about it.   

I went from an 02 to an 05.

Not sure yet about what I think about that thing. It does kind of look neat and it's nice for hiding neon tubes.

But I also drive in snow and want to offroad and it looks like it'll be something that gets ripped off at some point.

Its held on by about 50 screws so I'm in no hurry to remove it.

David

This is somthing GM did on all 1500 models, Silverado's, Tahoes, Suburbans and the Avalanches.  They all have what is called an Air Dam.  I guess some how it helps the vehicle get better fuel mileage and stay cooler, Does it work ????I don't know. 

Is this it ???

12498124.jpg

AvaLance said:
This is somthing GM did on all 1500 models, Silverado's, Tahoes, Suburbans and the Avalanches. They all have what is called an Air Dam. I guess some how it helps the vehicle get better fuel mileage and stay cooler, Does it work ????I don't know.

I don't think that is correct.? ???
My understanding is that the part is available only for cladded Avs in the darker ('03 and up) cladding color.

avz66 said:
Is this it ???

12498124.jpg

If it is, and if that is an '02, (looks like Arrival Blue to me - probably '03) I want one!
Somebody, anybody, get me a part number please.

Yep, that's the air dam I'm talking about...  You can bolt up that to your 02' and nobody would be able to tell if you have it or not.  It's already shady in the area of lower bumper.  It was pretty much inconspicious until I checked underneath of my friend's '05 for shocks up close.  The air dam has that "Avy" contour lines to match the bumper cover similar to Avy mudguards or 2500 front tag bracket.

Still, I am still at a loss on the purpose of having the air dam on 05 cladding Avy.  I think Avalance might be correct for his theory that 05's have the electric fans in junction to air dam for the cooling needs. 

For one second, I thought it didn't look bad then for another second, nah.

Picture sure tells thousand words, thanks avz66!..

GoldBowTie said:
I don't think that is correct.? ???
My understanding is that the part is available only for cladded Avs in the darker ('03 and up) cladding color.

Ummm well the cladding Air Dam only fits the cladded Avalanche BUT the WBH and Silverado 1500, Tahoe, Suburban all have an air dam that was added this year.  It is not cladding but it is black air dam I will get a pic of it on my dad's new suburban.

Here is the part # for the Air dam

You can see more pics of it in this thread!!
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,26966.0.html

HTH
Nats

I believe there are 12 or 13 bolts that hold it on it is a 10 min instal and makes the front look more agressive .. Not sure about bettermilage or performance .. I had one on my last Av that was cladded .. The nekid one just has the valance with the fogs no air damm ..

:)

You could get this air dam in '03, it came with the factory ordered splash guards.

When I was doing the lube job on my Avy today, I noticed that the front bumper is predrilled for the air dam bolts..  So you guys who want to do that, go for it!

Back