• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I am thinking about moving to Idaho or Montana.

avking

SM 2003
Anyone willing to email back and forth with me a bit. I would like to chat about the area, real estate, jobs, etc... Thanks. mcne2026@aol.com

I am 35, almost married and have 4 dogs. We are trying for kids. I am a computer person, specifically LAN's and WAN's. Microsoft or Novell. My better half is senior management in manufacturing.  We will have at least $400k in equity when we sell the house here in California. We would like to pay cash and have no mortgage. At least 1 acre but more would be great. I don't want to commute more than 45 to 60 minutes each way. Any suggestions on cities to look at?

just moved from mt after five great years there, lived outside of Billings, greatest place of all to live in, cost of living low, insurance higher on cars ( my move to nc , cut my insurance in 1/2) gas a little more hefty, but weigh that against all else, its still worth it, hy did I move then? had to take care of my parents, but I heading back there someday.

Another plus great weather

I'd like to move around there site unseen just to try something different.  Wife wouldn't allow it, and I fear I couldn't find work, so probably won't happen  :cautious:

Hope it turns out great for you and the family.  At least some of us outside of the MT board are interested, so let us know how it goes  (y)

I am originally from Southern Idaho (Magic Valley area) and most of my family is still there.  I go back often.  Idaho is a great place to live. It is about 75% public lands (forest service and BLM managed).  It is beautiful and diverse.

I currently am living in Billings, MT (for the past 10 years).  We love it.  I'm into riding dirt bikes, camping and other outdoor activities.  No state sales tax.  Great state and, like Idaho, diverse topography, climate and opportunities.  Good winter skiing and snowmobiling is close  (60 miles to Red Lodge Mt).

Too, Wyoming is just to the south and is wide open for all kinds of outdoor activities.  Yellowstone Nat Pk is about 90 miles.

Billings is the largest city in MT at about 95,000.  Currently it is a rather booming economy in spite of some of the problems in other places.  Medical care is tops and there is a university, a four year college, technical school and a Bible college.

Climate is moderate.  Winters are rather mild typically.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of help to anyone.

dstormvetnc said:
just moved from mt after five great years there, lived outside of Billings, greatest place of all to live in, cost of living low, insurance higher on cars ( my move to nc , cut my insurance in 1/2) gas a little more hefty, but weigh that against all else, its still worth it, hy did I move then? had to take care of my parents, but I heading back there someday.

Another plus great weather

I keep joking with my wife and others that we are going to move there. Still haven't made a trip yet though, hope to next year to check out the western third of the state and get a feel for things. Probably wouldn't move for several years though can't wait for our first visit. As was said, would consider WY or ID too, all three are beautiful and hardly any people to deal with anywhere you go, at least I would think so given the pop. numbers and the size of the states. So another out of stater that would be interested as well.

Where are you in NC? Hope to meet you at GTG someday  :B:

We're in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area, population around 300k - 350k. Moved here 4 yrs ago from Seattle. Had equity in a condo & moved into a much bigger, newer house for less money. Don't tell the locals thats what your doing, it makes you unpopular in a hurry. In our neighborhood we had people come up & offer cash deals on houses at higher prices than we thought they were worth. Then a lot of them lost money when housing prices started to drop a year or so ago. But it priced the locals out of some homes as a result.

Overall we love it. Great climate, real summers & real winters. Spokane is an older town, heavily Catholic & not really my style. But CdA is great. A resort town, great lakes all over, tons of dirt bike, ATV & sled riding to do, probably like 30k - 40k people year round. And pushing 200k in the summer. Housing is a bit more expensive right in town, but you can find property & a nice place for $400k 15 minutes away.

Back