• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Painless Dual Battery Install

Rolando

Charter Member
SM 2009
SM 2003
Special thanks for the ICHNGE's coming out and installing the Painless dual battery install.? ?It was a pleasure to observe, assist, and learn from this dynamic duo.

1.? Overview with Stinger chrome battery terminal connectors
2.? Used cubble hole for dual battery switches and indicators

Attachments

• Painless4.jpg
    Painless4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,289
  • Painless1.jpg
    Painless1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,248
1.  Connection from main battery
2.  Silenoid connection on 2nd battery tray

Attachments

• Painless2.jpg
    Painless2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,231
  • Painless5.jpg
    Painless5.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,225
1.  Close up of Stinger batt. connection
2.  Close up of negative ground connection taken from under AV.

Attachments

• Painless8.jpg
    Painless8.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,195
  • Painless6.jpg
    Painless6.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2,185
All the credit goes to Mr and Mrs ICHNGE.  They are the bomb!  We just feed them long enough to get through the install which took about 5 hours.

The instructions with the Painless Kit I guess are very straight forward, but you do have to get other stuff not included such as:

- 2nd battery tray
- 2nd battery itself (duh)
- Your choice of battery terminal connectors
- Your choice of battery cable gauge/thickness and color (we used 4 gauge)
- etc.

Very nice! Y'all are ready to hit the drive-in, and leave your lights on with the tunes cranked up for the duration of the movie!  ;D

IB Mike said:
Very nice! Y'all are ready to hit the drive-in, and leave your lights on with the tunes cranked up for the duration of the movie!? ?;D

Yup, next time we'll stay for the second movie without any concerns about cranking her up. 

Mine's been sitting in my garage now for 3 weeks. I haven't had the chance to get it working yet. Install pics look great.

Dune said:
Mine's been sitting in my garage now for 3 weeks. I haven't had the chance to get it working yet. Install pics look great.

The installation is quiet involved if you want to do it right.  There are connectors we didn't use in the kit because we used better ones.  The switches in the cubby hole, also took some thought on color, style, shape, thinkness, etc.  The wiring was all loomed from beginning to end.  Details like this are not in the instructions, but are worth it for quality and longevity.

Yea I knew there was some additional items I needed to purchase... just haven't had the time to look thoroughly at the kit enough to know what I need / don't need, would like to add, etc.

Install looks very good. Any hints / ideas you could throw my way? Or better yet, just send ICHANGE this way for a weekend. I'll put them up and might just take them to see a movie  :0:

Btw, what did you use for your cubby mounting plate?

Dune said:
Yea I knew there was some additional items I needed to purchase... just haven't had the time to look thoroughly at the kit enough to know what I need / don't need, would like to add, etc.

Install looks very good. Any hints / ideas you could throw my way? Or better yet, just send ICHANGE this way for a weekend. I'll put them up and might just take them to see a movie? :0:

Btw, what did you use for your cubby mounting plate?

Here are some of the checklist items I got from ICHNGE before the install:

1 Red Top Optima battery
1 nine foot section of positive battery cable
1 six foot section of negative battery cable
2 positive cable end caps
1 negative cable end cap
2 positive battery post clamps
1 negative battery post clamp
10 feet of split harness loom
1 3.5"w X 4.5"h X 1/8" thick piece of black acrylic

Hrmmm... now where did you find the acrylic? Something that you can find at an automotive store? I know people have used cut trash cans and such.. which I didn't care too much for.

Dune said:
Hrmmm... now where did you find the acrylic? Something that you can find at an automotive store? I know people have used cut trash cans and such.. which I didn't care too much for.

We have a place out here in Northern California called Tap Plastics.  They make signs and other plactics stuff.  I just brought the measurements there, picked the color and texture I wanted and they cut it up while I waited.

I like the painless wiring solenoid. It looks more weather resistant than my wrangler unit which looks like sh*t after a short time :mad:

RoarinRow said:
We have a place out here in Northern California called Tap Plastics.  They make signs and other plactics stuff.  I just brought the measurements there, picked the color and texture I wanted and they cut it up while I waited.

Now how is that going to help a person in Florida??????

I wouldn't mind having a 3' x 3' size so I can cut my own.  :E:

cadboy1 said:
I like the painless wiring solenoid. It looks more weather resistant than my wrangler unit which looks like sh*t after a short time :mad:

It looks like it will last a long time. ?We also used the Stinger chrome connector with plastic end caps and loom to protect the wires going to the solenoid. ?

Dune said:
Now how is that going to help a person in Florida??????

I wouldn't mind having a 3' x 3' size so I can cut my own. :E:

I'm sure they have plastic sign places out there.  No?

Some people just don't understand how small Crystal River is. I'm almost 100% positive they don't have anything like that here.

`Can't be that small, you have an airport and you're what, 60 miles from Tampa/St. Pete? >:D

RENORCR has the part numbers somewhere for the factory switch/blank inserts in the cubbyhole. Maybe PM him.

I don't want the cubbies.. as I already have stuff there. I just wanted some spare stuff to make additional switch mounting pods and such. I have SOOOOOOO much to install...SOOOOOO little space to install them in.

Understood.. And I relate. I want to keep the stock look but there's always that accessory cord or widget somewhere you just need to find the right spot for..

Well, its looking like I'm going to be adding another 5 switches or so. I've done some planning, now its time to start looking for the acrylic.

Dune said:
Well, its looking like I'm going to be adding another 5 switches or so. I've done some planning, now its time to start looking for the acrylic.

Look for plexiglass shops locally ;)

Five? Maybe in the overhead console? That's been a neat mod so far...

Back