• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

HELP Weird Stuff Happening

corvettejoe

SM 2003
OK this is new by me. This AM I drove to work and was backing into my usual parking spot and my radio went out. I thought may be the station was fuzzy. Put the truck in neutral and it came back on. I then put it back in reverse and the radio went back out. So I tried other gears and this does not happen in any of the others. Park drive etc.

Now why would my radio and my reverse be tied together??? ?:p

Whats up with that???? ?:eek:
CJ ? :B:

Search for the raqdio losing time threads or other threads in this sectiona about malfunction radios......

You just seem to have a weird one... >:D

Joe - that is indeed very strange - sounds like you will be seeing the General very soon :(

I had a similar problem a while back after 'experimenting' with the dash wires. In my case, it turned out the antenna wire wasn't completely plugged in the factory stereo.

In your case, perhaps something with your backup warning system?

You can always call Ghostbusters! ;)

I see you have a backup alert system. I wonder if somehow the two are tied in?
What b/u system do you have and does it work well? (maybe the price range too, if you don't mind)

Yes I have abackup alert system but it is seprate from the backup wiring in the truck. It pulls a trigger voltage from the backup light. I have had it installed for over a year and it works awsome. I like it alot and it is powered by itself. So I dont think that is the problem.

It cost about $200 with shipping but considering what it saves from abcking into unseen objects it was well worth the money.

I forget the name just now but I will look it up and let ya know.

I do nt think it is an antenna problem as the radio works in all other gears. If the antenna was loose I woudl supect nothing would come in.

I'll keep ya posted it will be about 2 weeks until I can get it to the shop. :cry:

CJ :B:

If you have a backup warning system, I bet the radio shuts off so that you will hear the warning. No point in having a beep when you can't hear it. Pretty cool if that's what is going on.

Might want to check your alternator output while you're in reverse but not moving. Shouldn't be a problem with such a new vehicle, but being in reverse and not moving lowers the RMPs which lowers the output of the alternator. Add the draw for anything else running (backup sensor) and if what's left falls too low your radio will cut out. It will lose it's time setting sometimes too so that might help you narrow it down.

On that same line, perhaps there's a short somewhere in your backup sensor that is making it draw more juice than it's supposed to? That might draw the load down far enough to affect your radio too.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I remembered seeing someone else having a problem in the cab when they messed with their backup lights.
See this link: link

It may not have a thing to do with your problem, but it might.

check for a misrouted wiring harness in your dash, remember reading about some problems where the harness was so tight it was pulling back out of the radio... sorry can't be more specific.

I think it is more along the lines of electrical noise on the radio power circuit coming from the backup warning device. I was an EE for a control module supplier to the big 3, and electromagnetic interferencee is a VERY big design/reliability/test issue. There are many microcontrollers (emmbeded computer processors) in the vehicle. There are also a lot of loads that are switched which draw power. These two things do not mix very well. Inudctive noise from switching the loads travels though power circuits, and modules (or raidios which do contain one or more microcontrollers) are subject to buggin out if the noise is too large. I recommend disconnecting the warning system and see if it does it then.

Have you done any other mods besides the backup alert system?

How come the 2 week wait till you can get it in? They should provide you with a rental free of charge.

I have had the backup system installed for over a year. Why would it just start doing this?

I am not inclined to belive it is the backup sensor system, but I can pull the fuse and see what happens. It is a really simple system. It only has 1 power (seprate line from battery) one ground and one trigger wirer.

I will check the radio connections when I get a chance. It is raining/iceing here today so that is out for a while.

I did not run anything off the factory power if I could help it. Was very careful about that.

One thing I did not check was to see if it happes on just 1 radio station or with the cd in it or on other stations. I will check this out on the way home tonight.

Very confusing...

CJ :B:

OK Update time. I managed to look into things a bit even with the ice storm we are having :-[

I put the truck in reverse and turned up the volume and
it was still on. I then pushed and selected another station and it was fine. So it appears to happenb only on one station. I am wondering if it has to do with the speed control volume ????

May be buy pushing the new station I got it out of its glitch. I will check it again tomorrow.

??? ???

Ok it is update tiem again. I had my radio on a diffrent station ans sure enough when I put it in R it went down in volume. I am thinking it is definately related to the SCV function of the radio.

TO the guies who wanted to know what backup system I used it is a MINI3 (3 sensors) Works great.

Back