• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Remote Oil Filter on an 8.1L, Anyone done this?

DEWFPO

Crawled under the truck today to scope out the impending oil/filter change and cursed the GM engineers the entire time I was under there.

Anyone installed a remote oil filter on their 8.1L? If so, what brand did you use, are your happy with it?, where'd you move the filter to?

Thanks, DEWFPO

Performance Products has the Perma-Cool relocation kits with one or two filters Click here

The kits for the 1500 and 2500 are the same.

I have the Perma-Cool remote filter. I put the remote filter under the driver side right under where my left foot rests. I ran the hoses down and around the front diff to the engine cross member, then over to the very inner part of the left front wheel well, then around the body mount (the big rubber donut looking thing) and to the oil filter. I also purchased an aluminum cooling collar for the oil filter (from JC Whitney). It clamps onto the oil filter with a large metal hose clamp. I found that I no longer go through 1/2 to 1 quart of oil between changes. Also, the oil lasts a lot longer. I use to get about 2800 miles between changes and the oil change light would turn on. Now I have gone slightly past 3200 miles several times, no light. I don't go much past 3000 before changing. I want this thing to last forever. I've also noticed that when changing, the oil is not nearly has dark as it use to be. I figure this is because of the much larger oil filter that I'm able to use and the aluminum cooling collar around the filter helping to reduce the overall heat of the oil. The cooler works too. Gets fairly hot, to hot to touch so it is dissipating a lot of heat.

The spin on adapter is a standard Chevy 3/4-16 thread for the 8.1L, there are many of them available. The thing to watch out for on any newer Big Block, Gen V, VI and VII is the bypass valves. There are two, one for the oil cooler and one for the oil filter. The stock by bypass valve is 11 lbs. if you add any restrictions with an oil filter adapter then you need to change the bypass valve to the 30 lb valve. Otherwise it will work fine at low speed and pressure but as soon as you get into the throttle and the oil pressure goes up, the oil will bypass the filter and you will never know it.

If it's bypassing a lot you may notice you water temperature going up more than it used to on a hill.

There are two, the one in the middle is for the oil cooler, the outside one is for the oil filter.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-25161284/overview/make/chevrolet

Attachments

• 20151018.jpg
    20151018.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Bypass Valve.jpg
    Bypass Valve.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Randy!!  (y)

There's always something, huh?? As soon as you touch one thing, you gotta do a bunch of other things too.

CarMech1969

PS: As soon as you said "adding restrictions" I'm thinking maybe this isn't such a good idea.

Here's an article on BBC's, scroll down to the part on "Oil Filters and Adapters". While most Gen V, VI parts can't be used on the Gen VII 8.1L the oiling system is the same.

http://www.chevydiy.com/oil-lubrication-systems-guide-big-block-chevy-engines/

Back