• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tailgate lock problems

mountainman97

Has anyone had trouble with the tailgate lock?  About every 4 months or so mine sticks and you can't work the lock at all.  Any ideas on how to fix it rather disassembling the whole tailgate and regreasing it?  Then all the grease runs down the tailgate and looks horrible. Help!

Dont use, oil grease etc..  Try graphite inside the lock mechanism..  Works wonders..  Also shouldnt have to dissemble the whole tailgate, there are 2 torx head screws I think T-30 or T 20 that hold the bezel in place, remove those and you can see inside..  They are the outer 2 screws..
Maybe its just binding on something..

I have seen this binding or freezing with the lock on the tailgate. I see it when we do an automatic locking tailgate lock install. When we cut the bezel the fine fiberglass dust gets into the mechanism and bindes it up. If you have a shop vac follow these instructions...
    Unbolt the bezel with the t-30 torx driver It's the 2 outer bolts. Carefully remove the bezel using a SLOW side to side motion to avoid destroying the christmas tree connectors. Once inside you will see a piece of metal at your 2-3 O'clock It looks like the letter C connected with a handle to it's left. That is the locking mechanism. You should be able to move it up and down though I suspect it will resist because it is jammed. Lift the tailgate handle and apply suction or compressed air and blow or suck out the debris from inside the locking mechanism. Once that is done stuff some shop towels into the bottom of the bezel. Don't worry they can't fall down into the tailgate it is protected by a cup that separates everything. Spray in some WD-40 and work the locking mechanism untill it is free and clear. Try to work it wrather agressivly so that when you are spraying you are freeing and cleaning the internals of the mechanism.
    Once it is all free clear and ready to go. Remove the rags or towels and blow or vaccume out trhe mechanism to make all nice and clean and spray in some lithium grease or graphite. Personally I prefer the lithium grease because I think it works better. It's a personal preference. WD-40, Lithium grease Graphite. They are all good lubricants. But in thise case we are using the solvents of the WD-40 to break down the comtamination inside the lock. Then we are removing it at the end. WD-40 is not a suitable lubricant for this mechanism. Use the graphite or the lithium grease. Don't use 1-2-3 oil or any of those ir else you will be doing this again. GM uses those oil based lubricants in the lock they attract the fine dust that caused it to lock up in the first place replacing it with the same product will cause you to have to revisit this project again. Should take you 45 minutes start to finish and that is taking your time.
Good Luck,
JB

Thanks JB.

I'll give that a try.  It always seems to lock up at the worst times.  I'll let you know how I make out. I just finished detailing it this afternoon.

Yesterday my tailgate release handle popped when I was lowering the tailgate while still holding the release handle in the open position. The popping noise was the release mechanism disengaging from the release handle. Now I had to remove the bed covers to unload the bed. Anyone else have this happen? I can't see where the release mechanism connects to the release handle.

Are there any metal handles I can replace this plastic handle with?

Went out to the AV today and the key turned lift handle. ???

The Tail gate is locked shut:  :E: the key does squat. :E:

Well to busy to deal with it and need it fixed for the weekend.
Its at the dealer. :E:

Believe it or not had same problem a month ago, just thought is was dirt, gave it a shot of WD no luck, brought it to dealer had to have the whole mechanism changed, cost aprox. $180.00.

So I am gussing not a warrantee item. (02)

Wonder if they could up grade it to power lock.

That was to be one of my next mod. Out of like 25 others.

I worked as a licensed locksmith.

While graphite works well, it will cause the lock mechanism to prematurely fail.

White Lithium grease is a good option.

But I like a teflon based grease the best.

It will bond to the metal, last a very long time, cause no wear, and has a very high lubricity.

JSal69 said:
I worked as a licensed locksmith.

While graphite works well, it will cause the lock mechanism to prematurely fail.

White Lithium grease is a good option.

But I like a teflon based grease the best.

It will bond to the metal, last a very long time, cause no wear, and has a very high lubricity.

I have to check out NewtoLI tailgate lock. The key has been sticking and now wont turn at all :8:

ok its fixed: :cautious:
I was told the rod poped off and the handle was broken and was replaced.
Handle 71.16
Clip-f/d  0.66
Labor  179.90

Total 266.83 on bottom of bill

Got to love the Xtended warranty NO CHARGE. (y)

However get home chk out the Benzle its all scarred up.
Open the tailgate it has somthing rolling clinking a-round in it.
Call up and Rag to the manager. :7:

Well its fixed and I can start loading the AV for NASCAR on SUN.

cadboy1 said:
I have to check out NewtoLI tailgate lock. The key has been sticking and now wont turn at all :8:

We can try to gtg and we can open it up and look at it together.
Let me know...

Back