• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

$2,000 to replace rear differential !!

CCavalanche

today I took my avalanche to the dealer and they told me that the problem was the rear differential and that it would cost around $2,000!! Thank God it was on the extended warrenty, but they said that it would take about 3 days. At least they gave me a GMC canyon for now! I can't believe that a 2004 Avalanche with 47,000 could have such a big problem

Thats a lot of money, are they talking replacing the gears or the whole rear end wheel to wheel?

Butch

You can get a whole Moser rear axle for that money....an upgraded one with a 12-bolt diff that won't break.

If he can swing that with the extended warranty...

Are their ratio's close enough that they will match the stock unit's front axle ratio in the 4X4's? or are they primarily intended for racing and 2WD?

That sounds like a complete axle assembly vs. just a diff.

sperry said:
If he can swing that with the extended warranty...

Are their ratio's close enough that they will match the stock unit's front axle ratio in the 4X4's? or are they primarily intended for racing and 2WD?

Good question...don't know.

CCavalanche,

Would you mind telling me what prompted you to take her to the dealer to have the rear checked? Was it a noise? I'm having a strange noise out of my rear intermittantly, and the dealer can't get it to replicate. I'm right around what you are in milage with my '04. Thanks in advance.

Trubble

That price sounds about right if they are replacing the rear diff.  I traded in my 01 Dakota Quad for an 02 Av and love it but getting back to the 01 Dakota, I had my entire rear diff replaced under warranty (although if was about 9000kms out of warranty) by the dealership.  The clutch plates on the limited slip were binding after driving on the highway (even a 10 minute run) and the first turn I made caused the back end to shudder until they released.

Anyways, once it was fixed it was good until the day I traded it in.  Regardless, I wasn't even looking at Av's and was interested in the '03 Ford F150 Super Crew FX4's but each one I drove was crap and they were already starting to rust on the bottom of the doors.  So there was this Av and all it took was one ride and now it is in the driveway.....I love my Burban, I mean Av.

Getting back to the original thread, price sounds right.  Make sure they tell you exactly what the problem is first (I knew what mine was before I took it in there - I'm somewhat mechanically inclined).

Avalanches have had rear end problems since that came out. My 2002 lost the bearings at 42,000 miles. Chevrolet wanted $1100 to replace the bearings. I had everything changed out for $800, went to 4.10 rear ratio. I still can't believe there are so many problems and no recall.

jscotb said:
Avalanches have had rear end problems since that came out. My 2002 lost the bearings at 42,000 miles. Chevrolet wanted $1100 to replace the bearings. I had everything changed out for $800, went to 4.10 rear ratio. I still can't believe there are so many problems and no recall.

what problem?

mine is fine...and built in 2001....

they telling me it'll cost around 4,000, just the housing is 1700 from the dealer

jscotb said:

Huh?  The Eaton G80 is an excellent differential with a solid reputation.  When its doing its job it can sound awful - but that is normal operation.  My 2002 Avalanche built in 2001 was not exactly trouble free, but rear differentials is not a major issue I've heard about.  The 2002 model year had problems with the FRONT differential which was addressed in the 2003 model year with a slightly meatier offering (but still IMHO not great).

$2K for a differential sounds high to me.

I'm having my AV's rear end fixed right now and will be spending about the same amount.  After a day of searching the shop finally figured out that the misterious noise was coming from the rear.  Turns out the carrier is bad due to the bearings going out.  Seems to me there is too much damage for only having 90K miles.

I just got my Av back from the dealer; The dealer provided awesome service!! I made an appointment because I had a low coolant problem that I thought was the waterpump, turned out to be only waterpump gaskets. While the Av was in the shop I asked if they could check into the howl from the rear end when letting off the gas. They road tested it, and replaced the bearings, and ring & pinion set. In addition after road testing it again the dealer noticed a further growling noise in the front differential and replaced the pinion and carrier bearings. My Av had 80K KMS. and I have extended warranty (man am I glad I bought it, the bill for this work was more than 2K.) The Av now feels like Brand new ! I wonder.... Just returned from a 6 hr. hwy. trip and it seems to be getting significantly better mileage, need to check into this but I am very impressed with the level of service I received from my dealer and GM.

Hi,

Here is my thread on the front and rear

Actually, had to pay $895 for it. Then they told me the bad news. My rear diff is going soon and this will be $1200. In addition, original sound that sent me to the dealer is still there. Took the advise and e-mailed and called GM Powertrain Division. Told them I was pissed. Asked to speak to an engineer to tell me what I did wrong. After 8 weeks I told them I was buying a Toyota or a Ford. They agreed to re-imberse me 60%. I told them to keep it and apply it to the remainder of a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty. They said they would rather do this. I said we will become involved again as soon as the rear is done. They would not budge. My Service manager said I never had it serviced, even though I had the recipt and work order. They also stated this was normal. I told them thanks for the heads uup saving me from another GM mistake. They re-imbersed me 60% of that as well. As of 2/21/06, I now drive a Ford Expedition. I loved my Avalanche but will not give patronage for lousy service. I told them I was looking at an 06 Avalanche and she stated GM stands behind their product. I said it seemed like cock-roaches running from bright lights. When GM has lay-offs over the next few years and Toyota superceeds them as #1 in the world, do you think they will realize it is easier to keep a customer than earn a new one? I got a great trade in though an figure the next owner will be pretty pissed off when his rear diff goes at about 60,000 miles. Will they be mad at me or Chevy....

JPT1971 said:
I'm having my AV's rear end fixed right now and will be spending about the same amount.? After a day of searching the shop finally figured out that the misterious noise was coming from the rear.? Turns out the carrier is bad due to the bearings going out.? Seems to me there is too much damage for only having 90K miles.
We had the same problem with the 02 last year. Plus both front hubs.
60.000 miles. All covered under ext warranty

Dang, these prices seem high.  I exploded a G80 2 weeks ago and (hope to pick it up tomorrow).  Mine is costing $458 for a Detroit TrueTrac, $219 for the ring, pinion and master install kit (all bearings, crush sleeve, and shims) and $300 for labor and oil.

KY_BOB said:
Dang, these prices seem high.  I exploded a G80 2 weeks ago and (hope to pick it up tomorrow).  Mine is costing $458 for a Detroit TrueTrac, $219 for the ring, pinion and master install kit (all bearings, crush sleeve, and shims) and $300 for labor and oil.

I'd be willing to bet that these prices are not at a GM dealer. That is why he should find a different shop unless it is being covered under warranty.

sennister said:
I'd be willing to bet that these prices are not at a GM dealer. That is why he should find a different shop unless it is being covered under warranty.

You would be correct.  Also, I'm not changing axle bearings or seals since they were done when the gear swap was done in October but that shouldn't add more than $100 in parts and labor.

Yes, the gears that I trashed were less than 6 months old :E: .

Like I said earlier, you can get an entire rear axle assembly for $2000, and that's upgraded from a 10-bolt to a 12-bolt.  If all you're doing is replacing a carrier, that should be $800 tops, if you're doing both carrier and gears, that should be $1200 tops.  Any more than that and you're getting ripped off and should be going somewhere else.

And, like someone else said earlier, go to a dealer if you're under warranty and not paying, otherwise, go to a specialty shop and get better work done for less.

I'm having the same problem.  I took my truck in yesterday from a check engine light with a code of P1870.  Got a call today from the dealer telling me that my rear end was shot.  :E:  Then they told me that the repair would cost about $3K :eek:.  So I'm taking it to another shop where they said they would do the repair for $1200.  Why do the dealers charge so much, it's insane.  I love my chevy but hate dealing with the dealer.  If they keep acting like this they may loose another customer.

rear end on my burb just blew up they tolf me $2000 but i dont care because its under warranty still with only 3000 miles left on the warranty

Back