• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Dark Gray Metallic...looking Green?

ref

I have the Dark Gray Metallic, 2003. In certain light it looks green. Anyone else with DGM noticing thier Av looks green at times?

Yes - I think there must be some green metallic flake or this is how dirt/dust interacts with the perceived color. ?I was able to help the situation a little by using Zaino wax. ?Dawn and do a clay bar treatment on it - use z-5 (2 coates) and then z-2 (only have had time for one coat so far) and it almost looks like liquid black in the shade and it brings out the gray in the sunlight. ?This requires an investment of $150 + a few hours - but is good for the vehicle and is the best shine I could imagine. ?I recommend going with the ZFX - read the site for details - www.zainobros.com . ?It still has a slight green tint in some light - but it does not look like it was painted dark green metallic. ?I noted this "green" observation way back when I first picked up my AV.

Others have mentioned they felt the DGM tends to pick up colors from it's surroundings and has different looks in diff. situations. Usually it costs big bucks to get that kind of paint job. :eek:

They do have a green pigment in the paint, I originally order DGM on my new truck, but after viewing a few AVY's in a local GTG I called the dealer and had the colour changed to BLACK, as the green cast wasn't for me.

G.

I dig the green tone. It only shows up in certain conditions. I've also noticed a little purple right at sunset/dusk. ;D

i have been told that I own a DGM WBH, but as I am colorblind, it could be green, black, or sunset orange for all I know....

Okay, so I am not that bad, but I am bad enough to have to keep asking my fiancee when we pass another ave to ask "is that one DGM, black or green?"

it figures someone would bring up using Zaino wax. ?I think I may finally go out and spend a zillion dollars on the stuff. ?My skin seems to be a little dry right now. ?Do you think it will help out my dry skin. ?How about sun burn...it's been really hot out lately. ?Heck...I wonder if it would help out with dandruff. ?Anyone out there with dandruff that would like to test it. ?Heck, the people out there at the Zaino company should be looking into other markets. ?It sure seems like the stuff is the cure all end all for everything. ?I bet it even cures cancer and AIDS. ?They should deffinately do some more research. ?I have a nasty paper cut on my finger. ?I bet Zaino would heel it up in no time flat, what do you think? ?

Note: Zaino has a "Starter Kit" out now that has everything you need to get started (Except for the Tire & Cladding Gloss (Critical for our AVs - IMOHO)

Great way to get started! You WILL love the shine. There isn't another car in our parking lot at work that looks anything like mine. It looks like cars you see in magazines, just a totally smooth wet shine ;D

Gene said:
They do have a green pigment in the paint, I originally order DGM on my new truck, but after viewing a few AVY's in a local GTG I called the dealer and had the colour changed to BLACK, as the green cast wasn't for me.

G.
I can see why that wasn't for you, that would have made you Mr. Green Gene. :p

(ok, bad joke)

In pictures DGM is the hardest color for me to figure out. I did not know this was an available color for the 03's. When ever I saw it in pictures I swore it was either black or green. Ask Princess Ave she'll tell you all about my confusion with her truck. ;D

I might have to try the Zaino treatment. Do you have to buy it online? Was wondering if anyone like Pepboys sells it. Castle Rock Av.....maybe I'll see you on the road someday....I play golf at Red Hawk Ridge quite a bit. Thanks for the info and link to Zaino!

When I picked up my DGM Av from the dealer I noticed THEY registered it as green. ?Now my registration says green under color of vehicle. :cautious:

When I first got mine, I parked it at work near a training hangar. ?One of the instructor supervisors came looking for me and told (not asked) me to move my "black" truck.

Since I object to people that I don't work for telling me what to do, I told her that if I ever bought a BLACK truck, I'd be happy to move it. ?Then since she does have the power to inconvenience my life, I moved it >:D.

I knew it was grey when I bought it and I love the fact that it changes with its surroundings yet still stands out.

I also like that it's nekkid.

Tribal said:
When I picked up my DGM Av from the dealer I noticed THEY registered it as green. ?Now my registration says green under color of vehicle. :cautious:

That is amazing. The DGM look green in pictures but when your standing right im front of one it is obviously grey.

Well look at it this way, if you ever get caught leaving the seen of a crime they can't use your car's color against you. The witness would say the purp left the scene in a dark grey Avalanche. "But your honor, my Avalanche is green you see, here look at my registration!"

My LPM shifts colors too, but not as dramatically as what I've heard here.

I've seen it look anything from a golden-bronze to a light milk chocolate-white.

Really don't care for the golden-bronze look but I love the light milk chocolate-white look. Get that one mainly at sunrise and sunset.

Oddly, it never really seems to have a silver look to it, even though the color is so close. It's either really goldish or really whiteish.

David

justhrowit - I really do not think that Zaino will help you with all of those other things, but it will sure make your truck shine. I just applied the 4th and 5th coats on this weekend. Started with the clay bar - put a coat of z-5, then z-2, then z-5 and 2 coats of z-2.

I really got tired of hearing all of zainomaniacs on the site too, but was convinced to try it after I read the comparison reports of the 50+/- waxes that is on their site. I do not regret spending $160+ to get a full set of their products. The color is much deeper. It is much easier to wash. Water beads in drops the size of quarters. On Saturday, I was even reading my owners manual off the reflection in my tailgate.

I have to agree that there is some dark green flake in the paint - but the Zaino brings out all the colors to be very deep and "liquid".

It even makes your paint feel good. Smooth and slick.

Sure does, My wife wanted Black or Forest Green, so of course I bought the DGM and low and behold when I brought home the first thing she said it looks green.

Well, I love the fact that the DGM picks up different hues of color. In fact, depending on sunset/sunrise conditions it can have a slightly green hue, a lighter gray hue, a black hue, and once, with a particular spectacular sunset condition almost a purple hue. I wouldn't think of changing that potential. I love it! Now if GM only made the paint a little thicker. Grrrrrrrr!!!! Otherwise, I love it!!;D

saw one at the dealer and thought that it changed color from gray to green I guess I was right it does have a green pigment in the paint.

Yup!

shandar said:
saw one at the dealer and thought that it changed color from gray to green I guess I was right it does have a green pigment in the paint.

Attachments

• DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 129
I noticed the green in mine the first day I had it..So did my friend when he seen it :D

What is zaino? are there any shops in NC that use this stuff I'm terrible at washing my Av my self always need someone to wash for me
:E:

Back