• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

AMBERS 101 - ATTENTION NEWBIES - EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AMBERS

avalanCHEVY

SM 2004
Ambers 101 ? Attention NEWBIES - Everything You Need To Know About ?AMBERS?

?Ambers? is the popular conversion of changing out the white 4114K factory Daytime Running Lamps (?DRL?s?) to AMBER bulbs. This ?mod? <modification> is a popular Chevy Avalanche Fan Club conversion used to identify other club members. It is also really neat-looking, PLUS it is actually a safety enhancement as amber light is visible at a further distance. (Amber is the color to which the human eye is most sensitive.) Some vehicles such as Corvettes, Buicks and Chevy Vans are factory equipped with Ambers. However, check your local laws as some localities are very specific about what you can and cannot do as far as making changes to automotive lighting.

Now ? on to accomplishing the AMBERS mod?s.

If you have the plastic skirting all around your Av, you have a CLADDED (aka ?Body Hardware?) Av. If you have NO CLADDING you have a WBH ?or- ?Without Body Hardware? Av. (GM terminologies.)

The procedure for changing the DRL?s is different for each of the two models.

On the CLADDED Av, your DRL?s are located within the lowest part of your front bumper and are the INBOARD lights (closest to the tow hooks.) Switch on your fog lamps while the LOW BEAM headlamps are on and the transmission is in PARK. The DRL?s are the extinguished lights next to the fog lights. NOTE: The fog lights will normally switch off whenever the HIGH BEAMS are on.

On the WBH Av, your DRL?s are located within the set of lights below the headlamps. The DRL?s are the INBOARD lamps (closest to the grille.) Switch on your parking lights while the transmission is in PARK and the DRL?s are the extinguished lamps adjacent to the parking lights.

Amber bulbs to purchase <for either model of Av> are Sylvania 3157/4157NALL. A pair can be obtained at certain auto parts stores for around $5.50 or so. Do NOT pay $10 for these bulbs, as some other parts stores (who will remain unnamed) charge.

CLADDED Av?s. From beneath the bumper, depress the lock tang on the DRL socket and turn 1/4 turn, pull socket out of housing. Remove factory bulb and replace with the amber. Reinstall socket (turn to lock.)

WBH Av?s. Open hood. Remove ?L? shaped shiny aluminum retainer pins from the tops of left and right headlamp assemblies. Carefully lift assemblies up and out of the way. (Do NOT disconnect any of their sockets/wiring.) Reach down to the DRL socket and depress its lock tang, then turn socket 1/4 turn, pull socket out of housing. Remove factory bulb and replace with the amber. Reinstall DRL socket (turn to lock) and reinstall headlamp assemblies. You may have to fuss a bit when reinstalling the driver?s side headlamp assembly as the wiring may need to be positioned to allow clearance. Very easy to do, just do not force anything. The headlamp retainer pins may utilize a slotted tab at the top of the assemblies in which to ?lock? the pins in place.

CHECKING YOUR DRL?s.

BE FREAKING CAREFUL whenever you do this using method ?B?!

Your DRL?s will normally only be on in daylight (NOT inside your garage,) with the engine running and in DRIVE, NOT in PARK. The DRL?s will switch off when the transmission is placed into PARK.

Method A) The safest method is to drive somewhere to observe the reflection of your Av in a glass window. Go to a local business, or convenience store (you need beer anyway, right?) Check DRL operation in drive, with the engine running, footbrake applied.

Method B) You can also check DRL operation by placing your Av in DRIVE on a flat, open area, and engaging the parking brake. Get out and observe the DRL?s. DO NOT walk directly in front in case the brake slips. Or you can have someone stay in the driver?s seat, depressing the brake pedal while you make your check.

Method B) is not recommended unless you live out in the boonies, as method A) is so easy and safe.

Method C) You can monitor DRL operation during the course of normal driving. At traffic lights you can often see a reflection off the back of a vehicle in front of you. This is an easy method for monitoring lamp status to determine a burnout. They should last quite a few years as the "NALL?s" are long-life bulbs.

Follow up notes.

A) The amber bulbs will not burn your sockets or plastic lamp housings. When you go to change them from the factory bulbs, you may notice a very slight ?burnt? look to the base of the sockets. This is noted to occur on the factory sockets with factory bulbs and is not to be of any concern to you. Lamp sockets which have just a little use (a brand new Av, for example, with only a few hours of running) may exhibit the slightly burnt-looking socket condition. Simply ignore this non-issue.

B) The description of how the DRL?s and headlamps operate during daytime, as told in the above instructions, assumes that you have an original factory electrical wiring setup. Other modifications, such as ?Full Time DRL?s? (or ?All Time DRL?s?) and ?All Four-On Headlamps? changes the way the DRL?s and headlamps operate compared to the original factory set up.
You can do a search on the CAFCNA site to learn more about these additional modifications.

[? ?Hey, maybe we should have a LINKY THINGY to "AMBERS" off the web site main page. ;)? ?]

:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:? ? ? ? ? ? ?:B:

Very Nice Keith!!
I feel pretty good about doing this mod!!

You are turning into a Wild Man >:D

Nick

Test method (b) should only be used if your wife has a camcorder taping the fiasco that is about to happen. >:D

I do believe there are some television shows that still pay good money for a funny home video....

And here I thought I had ambers!!!!  I was looking in the wrong place.  Thanks for this in depth explanation/instruction 101.  I'm running right out to get my ambers!!!

Blanche02

Check DRLs at night, they come on with marker lamps, puddle lights, int. lights when you click remote unlock.

I don't think that worked on my '02 but does on '04

WOW!  that was so detailed, I went out and changed mine again.  It was so simple using your directions.  lets just hope everyone can find it.

This one oughtta be sticked for the new people. I figured it out on my own, but lots of good info in there for those that are (Hmmm are there any...) less technically inclined than me :)

I agree - STICKY THIS ONE!!

(or else avalanCHEVY will have to bump it everyday!)

Nick

04avfan said:

Nick

this one should stay at the top of the new, unread posts.  I rarely make it to the homepage and only read older ones if I'm searching for a specific answer.

04avfan said:

Nick

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ?>:D

Most excellent post! Great job Keith!!

Todd

As a side note...the amber bulbs ARE NOT exclusive to CAFCNA. Ambers signify "Avalanche Enthusiast". Members of other clubs and many people who are not active on any Avalanche website use Amber DRLs. (There are about 10 people in the Jacksonville, FL area alone have ambers that are not on any of the communities.)

I know have seen two Chevy standard pickups around my area with amber DRL's. One truck was blue, the other white. I wonder if they did that from a sudden thought popping into their heads, or actually got the idea from seeing an Av enthusiast around . . . . .

Those ambers really stand out, don't they? ;D

:B:

Stickied so it does not get lost....

Thanks for the thread...very well done..

avalanCHEVY said:
I know have seen two Chevy standard pickups around my area with amber DRL's. One truck was blue, the other white. I wonder if they did that from a sudden thought popping into their heads, or actually got the idea from seeing an Av enthusiast around . . . . .

Those ambers really stand out, don't they? ;D

:B:

Actually, it was the other way around...we stole their idea.

ygmn said:
Stickied so it does not get lost....

Thanks for the thread...very well done..

Wow this gets stickied, but when I put together all of the directions for 02 FullTimes (to help people find the instructions quick), I was told to pack sand...

avalanCHEVY must be an LSU fan...

How 'bout sticky-ing the directions for FullTimes for all models right below this thread? Or some of the work done by Autoworker, XRover, and WesTexAVY?

Method B) You can also check DRL operation by placing your Av in DRIVE on a flat, open area, and engaging the parking brake. Get out and observe the DRL?s. DO NOT walk directly in front in case the brake slips. Or you can have someone stay in the driver?s seat, depressing the brake pedal while you make your check.

Method B) is not recommended unless you live out in the boonies, as method A) is so easy and safe.

I see a Vonage ad coming on...

Who hoo!  Hoo hoo hoo!  Who hoo!  Hoo hoo hoo! Who hoo!  Hoo hoo hoo!

avalanCHEVY said:

This can be made a little safer by leaving the ignition on, but without the engine running.

Method C) You can monitor DRL operation during the course of normal driving. At traffic lights you can often see a reflection off the back of a vehicle in front of you.

This seems to work best with clean dark colored vehicles that have smooth rear sheet metal. A black pickup truck tailgate works great. (y)

Flint4x4 said:
Check DRLs at night, they come on with marker lamps, puddle lights, int. lights when you click remote unlock.

I don't think that worked on my '02 but does on '04

No, it doesn't work with '02. Also, something in the back of my mind says that they will turn off if the parking brake is set for an '02. (Or is that just the automatic headlights and not the DRL? Not sure, I'll have to check that next time I go out, as I'm too lazy to pull it out of the garage to test it right now. :2: )

Also, for '03 and later, I think the lights that come on with the remote is something that can be configured using the Driver Information Center, so if they don't come on when you click the unlock button, check the perimiter lighting settings.

-- SS

Installed mine on my SOM , looks great with the
amber bulbs. Found it easier to lay on my back
and install than to try and do it topside. To much
crap in the way.

Later,
John

Finally did my ambers during my 1st oil change! :)  Was pretty easy on the 05 WBH.  Lift the headlights out of the way, and turn and pull out old bulb socket, remove bulb, put in amber, and put back together.

ShapeShifter said:
Also, for '03 and later, I think the lights that come on with the remote is something that can be configured using the Driver Information Center, so if they don't come on when you click the unlock button, check the perimiter lighting settings.

Horn & lights are a DIC setting, when others had thier strobes and stuff on a couple of us just kept clicking our unlock for some GTG night photos. I've given away ambers to a few coworkers, they offered to pay and I told them to just JOIN THE CLUB.

Back