• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Is It Because They're Ugly?

Drooling_Dog

Obviously everyone here loves the look of the Avalanche. ?I'm no different. ?However, we can't deny that a lot of people think they're quite ugly.

How many of you fell in love with the Avalanche, in part, because some people think they're ugly?

I must admit that I'm one of them. ?All my friends hate the look of the Avalanche. ?For some strange reason, that just makes them that much more appealing to me. ?I reckon it's just my contrarian nature. ?In fact, I've even nicknamed my Avalanche "The Big Ugly".

Am I the only one here that loves the fact that some people think my ride is ugly?

The uniqueness was what first attracted me to the AV. I like having a "one-of-a-king" and hope they Avalanche remains that.

I am on your side here. I like the "stands apart" value of the Av. The world didn't need another Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Silverado-looking rig. Thus we *HAD* one year of uniqueness with the Av. Now all the other GM counterparts will gradually get the Av faceplate. But given that, doesn't that just go to show you that there must be an overwhelmingly positive response to the Avs looks if the rest of the stable is adopting it's front facia?

Maybe it's not ugly in their eyes, just out of reach. I know if not for the supplier discount and getting a decent tax rebate from the IRS, I probably wouldn't have an Av or at least not a loaded Z71!

Jamie

Sunday morning before church, I stopped to buy some Cheeze-Its for my 2 yr old to munch on (you know youve done it dads). While shopping for them, I heard the cashier talking to someone pointing at my truck saying, "They have too much plastic, I don't like em". Well, after paying I went outside to do the quick change, including the panels and all. I glanced over my shoulder to see 2 cashiers, and 3 customers pointing and gaulking at me changing the AV. Most were smiling from ear to ear. I think that day I made a believer out of that cashier. I gotta go back and see what he thinks now!!

I know just what you mean. The first time I saw an AV commercial, several in the room made negative comments. Immediately I knew this was my next vehicle! It took awhile to get it but the fact that the jAV prompts such reaction made it the perfect vehicle for me. It's fun being different. ;D

I bought mine due partly on its looks, also for the feeling of having something that only a few had. I have had mine since Feb. and as of today I still see people looking and pointing. I don't know about the rest of you but that gives me a great feeling to know my ride is one of or the most popular rides in or out of town. If anyone is interested I had the :0: that (considering I have 2 children) if the midgate was removed that it would give me access to the back from inside the cab. I noticed that it only had 8 bolts holding it . Once I took it out I placed carpet in the back and added a TV/VCR Combo and a GameCube. Knowing how kids get tired on long trips, it has become a great occupier. My kids go in the back through the small back seat and either play or watch TV. :)

Wiki said:
Well, after paying I went outside to do the quick change, including the panels and all. ?I glanced over my shoulder to see 2 cashiers, and 3 customers pointing and gaulking at me changing the AV. ... ?I gotta go back and see what he thinks now!!
You should've gone back right away and collected a buck from each! ;)

I first heard about the Av while reading a piece about the concept truck, and I though "I gotta have one of those!" It wasn't until a few days later that I saw a picture of the concept truck and my heart sank: I thought it was butt ugly! :9:

Well, it's grown on me since, and it didn't take long for me to get used to it. Now I think it looks great. It still bother's me a bit when other people think it's ugly, but I still love it. :love:

It took a long time for wife to get used to it. I still don't think she's real happy with the styling. :6:

My son thought it was sweet from day one! :cool:

Most of my friends say that they love it, while others are silent. I know what they're thinking, but they're too polite to say it's ugly to my face. :p

Cool or ugly, you take your pick. Either way, I like standing out from the crowd. (y)

-- SS

I've always liked the unique look of the Av . . and the functionality that it represents. I too am sorry that Chevy is diluting the look with the 2003 Silverados - unique is good . . . if I'd wanted a me-too, I'd have bought a Tahoe.

My wife's first response to seeing a real live Av was very positive too . . I was somewhat surprised that she liked the agressive look. But not all share her enthusiasm . . from the board some months back . . .

TrickyDick said:
My wife calls mine 'The Big Ugly'. Now looking for new wife. Interested ladies should send pictures of your Av with list of mods.

DroolingDog . . . enjoy your 'Big Ugly' ;D ;D ;D

temperance_d said:
If anyone is interested I had the ?:0: that (considering I have 2 children) if the midgate was removed that it would give me access to the back from inside the cab. I noticed that it only had 8 bolts holding it . Once I took it out I placed carpet in the back and added a TV/VCR Combo and a GameCube. Knowing how kids get tired on long trips, it has become a great occupier. My kids go in the back through the small back seat and either play or watch TV. ?:)
An intersting idea. However, it sounds a bit scary from a saftey point of view.
ukid.gif

Sounds like it needs a "don't try this at home" disclaimer!
noway.gif

-- SS

Saftey is always a main concern. Thats a given.. Maybe this ain't the choice of everyone but it helps.

OK, I'm sorry, but I still think my Sierra is better looking than an Av. But hey, I no longer think of the Av as actually ugly. It's the better ride and still being able to carry lumber that I want. With a few Mods you make any vehicle different and unique. Keep the midgate setup, get rid of the cladding, round off the wheelwells, get rid of the grab handles (I guess that's what they are) and now you've got the ideal Pickup/SUV. BTW, as Avs go, the ones I've seen on here are some of the best. I've used your photos to create an All Av Screensaver slideshow on my computer here at work. Thanks.
(y)

I agree with ShapeShifter it sounded SO perfect, then when I saw it I thought it was ugly. A few months later I bought a Trailblazer for my wife and saw the AV again and kinda liked it...then I went back to drive it the next day....five days later I had one! Now I love it...she still thinks it's ugly but what can you do?

My wife at first didn't like Avalanche. She called it the "Rubber Maid" Truck :6:. Now that I own one she has seen the utility in the vehicle. She has also started to like the looks of the truck :).

I have a few friends tell me that they couldn't talk to me since I owned such and ugly vehicle. I said fine, don't call me when you want something moved. Nothing like watching a car move somthing with it sticking out the of the trunk ;D.

I LIKE IT. It has unique styling and character :love:.It reminds me of my dog.

I really don't think that the Av is ugly, but is so unique that people need to be acclimated to the look. When GM radically changed their pick-ups in 1988, many people, including Chev lovers, hated the "new look" trucks. They were deemed too car-like. Of course, that changed and a lot of new pick-ups were sold. I personally like having a vehicle that doesn't suffer from universal, cookie- cutter styling.

I was attracted to the AV simply for it's aggessive style and road presence....everyone that's ever followed me anywhere always tell me how big the AV is compared to most of the vehicles on the road....not to mention with the size factor does come a sense of security....this coupled with the obvious..(room, ride, versatility) make the Av a winner in my book... :B:

I think the AVY is unique and good looking for a truck...it is different and that is what people hate....They all want cookie cutter cars and trucks....

I get bored with the look of most trucks on the road today.....

What makes me mad is now the 03 trucks will have a similar front end to the AVY :8:

ygmn said:
I think the AVY is unique and good looking for a truck...it is different and that is what people hate....They all want cookie cutter cars and trucks....

I get bored with the look of most trucks on the road today.....

What makes me mad is now the 03 trucks will have a similar front end to the AVY :8:
I agree with you completly, ygmn! (One for the record books! ;) )

I sure wish we could've kept that unique agressive front end styling a little longer before it got diluted by the Silverados! :6:

-- SS

When I first saw it, I thought it was kinda ugly. But it grew on me quickly. I love this truck.

For a long time I struggled to find the words to describe what attracted me to this truck. So far I think two words I heard from Car & Driver best describe the AV.

Those words are "Angry Styling"

I fell in love with the AV, from the time I saw the concept AV. I thought it was a handsome vehicle then, and I think it is a handsome vehicle now. My wife even likes the looks of the truck.

I have a VW t-shirt, that fits the AV as well. on the front of the t-shirt, it says "if you don't like being stared at..." on the back it says "may we suggest you drive a Honda" with the big VW logo behind it. The AV could easily use this shirt as well. (and we could even change the Honda to say Ford, if that would make you all happy, even though I also drive a Ford).

It took owning one to actually start to like the looks of it. At first, I thought there was too much plastic (read all for show). We needed something that would be up for some hard work and hard play. I came to this site and asked a ton of questions to see if owners thought it was up to task or if it should stay on the pavement.

It was and still is the only vehicle out there we could buy in the US, which met all of our needs.

After using/owning it for a while, I love the looks because there isn't much on it that doesn't serve a purpose. We have even put our chairs up on the back covers to watch a parade in our private bleacher!

When i first saw the Av I loved the look, but then again none of my friends would go so far as to call me normal. Most of the people I know really like it , if not love it. The only ones that have called it ugly are my buddies in the construction industry. They tell me "you cant haul anything in that", or "the bed isn't big enough". So I guess it kinda has to do with what you plan on using it for.
I don't think it's ugly, I would have to say unique.

Speaking of..

I had heard of people setting up the lawn chairs on the bed covers, and was wondering if there is some kind of weight limit? I would hate to break one of those babies. I just got my Av last night and there doesn't seem to be anything referencing the amount of weight you should/ should not put on those panels in the manuals.

each panel can take up to 250lbs dead load. The main area you would be in trouble at, is live load (don't jump on them).

I like the way the Avalanche's design. It looks the way it looks, and it makes no apology for it. Gotta respect that.

They're just jealous! Send 'em over to Pontiac and have 'em look at an Aztec (They'll have to go to a dealership because exactly zero are actually on the road).

Back