• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MIDGATE SEAL FIXES....WITH PICS...

BLUEavyZ71

Ok guys, here's my latest fix to the midgate leak just for you to get ready for the wintertime.  Water leaks would worsen during the cold weather with freezing rain or melting snow due to the midgate seal being atropied.  The water would seep through the atropied corner seal into the cabin.  Here's the picture of kinked midgate seal:

Attachments

• midgate seal 001.jpg
    midgate seal 001.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,029
Here's the fix... I got those 1/2" round close tolerance rubber from the local Keystone Automotive supplier.  About 6" strip per side will suffice.

Attachments

• midgate seal 002.jpg
    midgate seal 002.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,965
Use air compressor gun or a long metal rod with tip taped up with duct tape (be careful to avoid gouging the seal) with the rubber sapped in soapy water inside the top hole... When using compressor gun, pinch the midgate seal 3" past the corner to catch the rubber in place... See the picture for further instruction..

Attachments

• midgate seal 003.jpg
    midgate seal 003.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,563
Voila!  The final result, all fixes done in ten minutes or less...  Note how plump the seal is now..

Attachments

• midgate seal 004.jpg
    midgate seal 004.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,908
Pic shot from outside with midgate shut closed...  I'm thinking of adding more strips of rubber for upper sides of seal to do more of sealing job... But I don't think it might be necessary that the bottom section is where the water drain the most.  Water would just trickle along the seal to that hole of kinked seal in my case.  Check your Avy and see if you have the similar issue and eliminate this problem possibly for the first and last time...  I will follow up in a few months from now.

Attachments

• midgate seal 005.jpg
    midgate seal 005.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,870
Thanks, just doing what I can help the fellow Avers'.  Hopefully, I think this is it after a lengthy bout of locating the water leaks.  I think the late 03 and later midgate seal was redesigned and much thicker than the previous model years.  This fix will save you a leg and arm if you are gonna get a replacement seal without a factory warranty.  A new seal costs somewhere at around whooping $250.  On other word, Keystone Automotive is what I mixed up is actually for Kent Automotive.  The manager of Kent Automotive supplier was able to cut me a foot long strip of round close tolerance rubber for $6.99.  He told me those kind of rubber is difficult to mold and that's priced accordingly.   

Since this fixes, no water has entered my cab!  It has been a few months since and rainy days.. Checked the carpet and it's dry as bone... :D  For anyone of you with 02' must take a look into this and see if it solve your water leak problem.

THANX..............

GOOD POST !
GOOD PICS.
Now I know how to fix mine.......... It dribbles water down the midgate...........not to bad, but we ALL want a DRY midgate and bed interior..........SO  ill be using you idea to fix mine.

-Geronimo

This problem is how I found this club to start with. I have been parking up hill during rainy weather just to be safe. I will  do this Mod tonight so I can  sleep better for a change.  Thanks!  (y)

badinc1 said:
I'm going to have to try this out, as I cannot stop water from coming in my Avalanche.
Did you have to cut the rubber seal to add the hose inside it ?
Bobby.  :E:

Looks like he just used an air gun to run it all the way from the top,

index.php

Judging from the photo on reply number 3, it looks like he cut the rubber seal on the vertical section about 3 to 4 inches up from the corner edge.
He did note that he only used 6 inch pieces of hose on each side, and to do that he would have to cut the rubber seal.
I did mine today with two feet of quarter inch air hose on each side and some dish washing soap.
I removed the black plastic gate that covers the rubber mat and black hinge, being careful and starting on one end and gently unsnaping the piece and then sliding it towards the tailgate to unhook the midgate side tabs, and I then also removed the black hinge, thus making it easier to remove and replace the rubber midgate seal so I could stretch out the rubber seal to insert the air hose into it, and it also allowed me to check-out the drain under the black hinge, which by the way was clean.
I then unhooked the rubber seal, layed it out straight, and put dish washing soap inside the rubber seal and on the air hose, and worked it in .
I didn't have to cut anything as two feet was long enough to make it pass the curve on the bottom corners.
I pushed the hose in about 3 inches further into the end of the rubber seal ends with a screwdriver.
I put a little dishwashing soap on the sheetmetal where the rubber seal attaches, and slide the rubber midgate seal back on.
It worked out real nice and looks new.
Now all I have to do is test it with putting some water in the bed and leave my front and rear sill plates off and check and see if any water runs down the channel underneath the sill plates towards the front of the floorboards where my carpet was getting wet in front of the brake pedal.
Bobby.  :D

I don't have a digital camera, but.... it didn't look any different than the photos aready posted here, except that I used 2 foot pieces of hose on each side and I didn't cut the rubber midgate seal.
Bobby.

Hi

New to the site.  I just purchased an '02 NFE.  Have been reading and digesting all of the great help here.  It has been great.

I have a question about the 1/2" round close tolerance rubber listed as a fix in this thread.

I have called Keystone here in Chicago and a number of auto parts stores and body shop supply places.  No one knows/carries/heard of this stuff.  Is is called something else?   :E:

I looked at using vacuum tubing, 1/4" is close to the right OD, but I am pretty sure it would not be 'crushable' enough to allow the midgate to close properly.

Does any one else have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Dave

UPDATE:

I found a Kent Automotive Product called Close Tolerance Rubber in round and 1/2 round.  Only problem is it comes in 50' rolls from them, and they can't or won't tell me who carries their stuff.  They have a bunch of different sizes as well.

Kent Automotive Close Tolerance Rubber PN: P40325 1/2" x50' round.  It's $70 plus shipping for a roll.

I suppose I could call body shops until I find one with a roll.  Anyone with any other ideas?  I really don't want to buy 50' of this stuff......

Back