• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

why z71 package?

Palerider

Choosing between "regular" 4x4 and the z71 package. I will not be taking this off road and will be mainly using it to do chores around the town.

Does this package improve handling? Is it better in the rain/snow? Is it a tougher transmission?
Thanks.

No reason at all to have the Z71 for your stated purposes. Go to chevy.com and check out the things that come in the Z71 package would be my advice.

it does have a slightly better resale value years down the road.  many of us who DO go camping/off roading/etc.  have found the skid plate, etc w/ the z71 to be priceless...

imho, if it fits in your budget to have it... get it... but i wouldn't necessarily go hunting one out if it just seems a waste to you. 

z71 includes off road tune suspension...ie different shocks...17" wheels... High flow air box...and skid plates.
if you look hard enough you can find the z71 for the just about the same price ... there are a lot of z71's out there.
Goodl uck,
Damon

get the Z-71 package .... I drove a regular 4x4 (16" tires) vs the Z-71 ......night and day difference ....

plus better resale value with the z-71 package ...

I had the 4x4 smooth ride package for 3 years, loaded Z71 13 months now. Not much difference in ride really, if you buy off the lot you'll likely find a larger selection of options on Z71s.

What bout the rear locker? dose the 4x4 come std with it (I know it is a aviable option)

Also do you drive snow. Your home town is not in sig Palerider ?

I actually didn't want the Z71.  I found that most local dealers ordered them to pad their pockets with more $$.  I would prefer to set up the suspension my own way since I could do it cheaper than buying a Z71.  If you are not going offroad ALOT then save the $$ and get a smoother riding truck.  You would have to order the locking rear seperately if you need it- back to offroading alot.

Fast Eddie said:
I found that most local dealers ordered them to pad their pockets with more $$.?

huh?  the profit margins are what the profit margins are... if u were offering a dealer... as an example... $500 over invoice... whether it's a 30,000 invoice or a 31,500 invoice, it's STILL $500 over.... now if you were one of those sweet folks who INSISTED on paying msrp, you'd be right.  but honestly, from a dealer stand point...  we order from the factory what sells... if it doesn't sell as much, why would we order as much?  typically the z71 package sells better, even w/ those who DON'T go off roading.  many people i've chatted w/ get the z71 JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE THE STATUS  ???

i do hope your search goes well... try going to gm buypower and see if you can find what you are looking for... that might make it a little easier :)

The dealers often give certain discounts off msrp, not markups from cost. 

Example:

Av 4x4= $42k sticker
Av Z71= $43.5k sticker

If the dealer advertises $10k off sticker including all incentives (employee pricing etc) he will still sell the Z71 for $1500 more than the regular 4x4.  Part of that $1500 is dealer invoice cost and part is profit to the dealer.

That is why the "savy" dealers order things like white lettered tires that cost $125.  It does not effect the buying decision to the consumer b/c of its low unnoticed cost, but it might add $50 to the profit of the truck.

Back in 1999 A Z71 package on a tahoe yielded many differences such as painted bumpers, roof rack delete, 17" wheels (only way to get 17s back then), two tone leather, and the suspension package.  Today it is mainly an emblem with skid plates.  Dealers on LI order over 75% of their trucks with the Z71 package (my experience trying to find a non-Z), yet we live on a flat island with no offroading in sight.  After talking to a friend at the dealer he said they make more on them that way...

Avalanche (CTS) Fox said:
it does have a slightly better resale value years down the road.? many of us who DO go camping/off roading/etc.? have found the skid plate, etc w/ the z71 to be priceless...

imho, if it fits in your budget to have it... get it... but i wouldn't necessarily go hunting one out if it just seems a waste to you.?

(y)? True that- I only got my Z for the resale- I don't offroad, and rarely does my truck even see anything other than asphalt, but especially buying 1 yr old, the prices are SO spread and melded together between the different badges (Z71, Z66, 4x4, etc...), that with a little effort, you can find a Z for the same price (or less, as in my case) as a comparably equipped 4x4, etc.? Just my .02?

:B:

Fast Eddie said:
I found that most local dealers ordered them to pad their pockets with more $$.?

By that logic, I'd expect to find most dealers ordering Avalanches with the body armor, since it costs $600 more.  However, you can barely find one w/ body armor on the lots in Central TX!  Dealers order what sells...a hefty margin @ MSRP isn't worth squat if they have to discount the extra profit away to move it.

Most people don't want cladding, hence why over 75% of Av's are sold w/o body hardware- also why Av's sales skyrocketed when WBH became available.? Has nothing to do with profit there, just that people want less tupperware on their trucks...

I love my Z71 i rides awsome you get the skid plates which my case takes care of the road kill from making a mess on the  undercarage ;D the decals are lame i really like the tahoe/ sub. Z71 if they whould give the Av that same package it would be sweeter ;D

Palerider said:
Choosing between "regular" 4x4 and the z71 package. I will not be taking this off road and will be mainly using it to do chores around the town.

Does this package improve handling? Is it better in the rain/snow? Is it a tougher transmission?
Thanks.

If you are not going offroad why not go with the Z66 2wd? Unless if you live in one of those "snowy" states ;)

I ordered my 4x4 plain in 2001, it was just fine for the snow and limited offroad use. Traded for the Z71 for new warranty, sunroof, Bose 6 disc, XM/Onstar, roofrack, locker, skidplates, heated seats etc.

Mainly for the Arrival Blue color and the sunroof.  :cool:
OH, and no way I'd have traded if the Z71 wasn't cladded.

Flint4x4  :B:

Back