Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biggest [fuel] Fill On 1500?  Post 'em!  (Read 43140 times)

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
Biggest [fuel] Fill On 1500?  Post 'em!
« on: 01/04/03 12:09 PM »

Alright.  I know there have been a few topics about the actual size of the gas tank, problems with 2500 owners having to burp the tanks, not getting full fills, etc., but I thought it would be kind of fun to post your biggest fill-up receipts.  I know not everyone has a scanner or digicam, but to be counted you must show proof.  So here's mine from this Christmas travels:

30.554 gallons on a 1500.  Read 'em and weep. :)

If you can read my chicken-scratch at the bottom, that 431.2 is the mileage before filling up, so not great mileage at 14.1mpg.  But we drove a chunk of that in a 20-40mph headwind and used 4WD in some snow.  In this kind of weather, I don't care what the mileage is; I just want to get there!

So post yours, and provide unadulterated "evidence".  The only edit I did was to block out the last four digits of my card number.

Just a cool game I thought as I watched the gallons tick on past 28 (my usual gulp).

Brendan
2002 Avalanche K1500 Indigo Blue Metallic
Options: Z71 package, convenience package, 3.73 rear axle, 6-way heater leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, assist steps
MODs:
Leather 40/20/40 bench conversion, LOF, GM Bugflector, Amber DRLs, dual carseats

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

ShapeShifter

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • What a great trip it's been...
    • ShapeShifter
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/03 12:28 PM »

30.554 gallons on a 1500. áRead 'em and weep. :)
Cutting it a little close there, aren't you! :o

My record is 28.4 gallons. A mere pittance in comparison. Alas, I didn't save the receipt. :6:

-- SS

SJProwler

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • Michael Waltrip #15
    • Some pic's of the Av and Fiero
« Reply #2 on: 01/04/03 02:48 PM »

Mine is just a bit more than that of SS at 28.8, I don't think I'd want to try for more than that as the fuel light was already on and the DIC chiming at me.  If I beat that, I'll be sure to save the receipt.

SJP

Click on the Av to see more pictures Born 07/26/02 Mine 09/20/02  '03 Arrival Blue, Z-71, Everything but the DVD and Block Heater.  Mods: K&N Drop In, GM Protection Pkg, Step Bars, Tailgate Ltring, C-Pillar Av Logo's, FT Amber DRL's,  Lo/HI 7000k HID's, 885's,Top Box Mag-Lite/Fire Ext., Line of Fire, All 4 at once.
From Coloma_MI

fidelfs

« Reply #3 on: 01/04/03 03:04 PM »

I am afraid when I go to gas station so I made an habit to gas up after one quarter so I don't usually pay much every time but in the other hand I go very often.
The most I paid to gas up was 20 about half a tank.  An average of 17-18 miles per gallon all of those on freeway coming back from Colorado to Houston.

Have Fun!

Need4Speed

• Charter Member
    • Half-breed
« Reply #4 on: 01/04/03 10:46 PM »

The receipt isn't good evidence. If I gas up with 28 gal and then add 5 gal to the gas can for my snowmobile my receipt will show 33.....just indicates how many gallons I purchased at a given date and time, not what it went into.
2002 Z-71 Black, 2003 EXT Diamond White

SJProwler

• Michael Waltrip #15
    • Some pic's of the Av and Fiero
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/03 01:18 AM »

Half-Breed,

Do you ever go snowmobiling over here on my side of the lake?  I'm in SW Michigan near Benton Harbor.  If you're coming this way, let me know, I know most of the trails and we have a group of 6 or so that ride together.

SJP

Click on the Av to see more pictures Born 07/26/02 Mine 09/20/02  '03 Arrival Blue, Z-71, Everything but the DVD and Block Heater.  Mods: K&N Drop In, GM Protection Pkg, Step Bars, Tailgate Ltring, C-Pillar Av Logo's, FT Amber DRL's,  Lo/HI 7000k HID's, 885's,Top Box Mag-Lite/Fire Ext., Line of Fire, All 4 at once.
From Coloma_MI

dmacker

• America and the Avalanche aren't they great. USMC
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/03 01:32 AM »

The receipt isn't good evidence. If I gas up with 28 gal and then add 5 gal to the gas can for my snowmobile my receipt will show 33.....just indicates how many gallons I purchased at a given date and time, not what it went into.

There you go, always thinking..............

You don't think an Aver would pull something like that just for bragging rights do you???

On second thought.................

"Lady in Red", "THE ORIGINAL"  Z71, Loaded, Limo tint, Red Bow-Tie, AV bug guard, muds, Silver Stars & 899's, DRL,s, Mag Light, K&N,  Weather Tech , LOF and Magnaflow w/tip, Stripeman tailgate, headlight covers, 4 headlights at once + custom built flag holder, all in one sweet package.

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
  • Forethought is better than afterthought
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/03 03:58 AM »

Runnin' on fumes there, huh Brendan? Keep in mind that everything in the bottom of that fuel tank isn't gasoline.
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 05:19 PM by steelheadchaser »
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!

jackalanche

• Charter Member
  • I spent my lunch money on mods!
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/03 04:05 AM »

hey halfbreed it's called the honor system !!

sure I could pump mine, and swing the nozzle over the little hottie's car and give her a few free gallons too (or spill some in a gas can, but if you're gonna game the system do it in style at least :4: )

I actually like this concept, finally a game on the Av board that I play all the time anyway - "how far can I push my luck on the gas guage?" (Brendan, you da man with 30 gals!) As far as my wife is concerned, it's purely a male thing. Drives her nuts on long trip with me.
'02 4x4 Blue 1500, modded to the hilt [sold] / '08 Black-Black LT3-Z71, Wrangler Dual Battery kit, Pio AVIC-Z3 HU, XM, Bluetooth, 9" Viz DVD headrest players-monitors, blah blah blah [sold] / '13 White Diamond TriCoat on Black guts LTZ 4x4 fully optioned

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/03 07:08 AM »

No, okay, I realized as I hit "Post" that it wasn't pure evidence.  Next I'll require a video from your significant other while you honestly pump the 30+ gallons.  It should include her (or him) in the background saying, "Dang hon--I told you not to cut it so close!"  I won't comment on the soundtrack if you put a few gallons in hottie's car next to you while your wife is standing there... :)

Also, if your receipt said 33 and you have a 1500 I'd doubt you anyway...  But enough on that.  I don't mean to attack your cheatin' approach!

I just thought it was a fun game to play on the honor system.  I guess for that matter I could not have posted my receipt at all, but I thought it made the post more interesting--I like "multimedia"!

And Steel, I thought of that as I pulled away--what the heck did I expect was in that last half gallon?  Ewww...  Don't even want to think about it.  I've always, since I got my first car, wanted to see how many miles I could put on a tank (for mileage purposes) or how many gallons I could squeeze in there (to see how close I could cut it without running out).

Normally, though, when the LOW FUEL message comes on, I have 5 gallons left.  I was driving to the gas station one time, and it came on half a mile before I got there.  I got an even 26 gallons.  So I call the LOW FUEL the 5 GAL LEFT message.  At 15mpg, I should get 75 miles yet.  At 10mpg plus figuring you dont' want to use the last gallon, I could still go 40....   This time I think the LOW FUEL message came on at 398, so I went about 34 miles....

I'll tell you what though...  After driving that thing empty across the town of Fresno from my parent's house to the gas station right at the highway 99 entrance (@ 16 miles) Chevron, I felt like I had installed a load-leveling kit when I took off from the station!  Could definitely feel the extra weight of 300lbs of gasoline.  Felt like the rear was dragging.  I'd gotten used to how light and peppy acceleration was with an empty tank.  Guess I need a Whipple to a) preserve this feeling all the time and b) make me stop for gas more. :)

Thanks for the comments--even the "10 ways to cheat Brendan's game" posts!

Brendan
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 07:25 AM by brmiller »
Options: Z71 package, convenience package, 3.73 rear axle, 6-way heater leather seats, sunroof, roof rack, assist steps
MODs:
Leather 40/20/40 bench conversion, LOF, GM Bugflector, Amber DRLs, dual carseats

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/03 07:23 AM »

The most I paid to gas up was 20 about half a tank.  An average of 17-18 miles per gallon all of those on freeway coming back from Colorado to Houston.

We could save this for another "Board Game" on "Whose fill up cost the most?" which would be a testament to both [empty] fuel capacity and where you live and how it sucks to be you paying that much for gas....

But my other runner-up receipt in terms of "most gas pumped" (over the whole time I've had the Av) came earlier on this trip when filling the tank cost $47.50 (!)

The receipt is a little hard to read (running out of ink at this Chevron), but we faired a little bit better in terms of miles between fillups at 449.5.  MPG is still 15+; again the snow and headwind were a factor.  But don't buy gas in Willows, CA--1.61 for 87 octane sent me through the roof!

Let 'er rip--I know some of you (Californians?) have paid wild prices for even 87 octane.  Here in Salem, OR I usually pay $1.25-$1.40.

Brendan
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 10:03 AM by brmiller »
MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 01/05/03 12:39 PM »

The most I've ever put in the Av was about 29 gl. Brendan, pump gasoline weighs about 6.2-6.4lbs/ gallon compared to 8.33 lbs/gl. for water. Water will really make a bee-line to the bottom of a container of fuel given half a chance. The older the vehicle, the greater the chance for condensation. Keeping the tank close to full helps to keep this to a minimum due to decreased  surface area exposed to air. I am the worst offender,  being below a 1/4 tank most of the time, it seems.
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 05:18 PM by steelheadchaser »
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
« Reply #12 on: 01/05/03 04:46 PM »

pump gasoline weighs about 6.2-6.4lbs/ gallon compared to 8.33 lbs/gl. for water. Water will really make a bee-line to the bottom of a container of fuel given half a chance. The older the vehicle, the greater the chance for condensation. Keeping the tank close to full helps to keep this to a minimum due to decreased  surface area exposed to air.

Hey!  Thanks for the weight on gasoline--always wondered and used water as a "close estimate".  And thanks for reminding me about the condensation potential--I'd heard/read/learned that somewhere along the way, but hadn't thought about it in awhile.  Always good info here, even from a silly "competition"!

Brendan
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 06:03 PM by brmiller »
MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 01/05/03 05:17 PM »

It's actually Brendan--no worries, though.

D'oh! :2: Sorry about that, Brendan! I knew better than that! I went back and fixed it (on both posts!).
« Last Edit: 01/05/03 05:20 PM by steelheadchaser »

Marc'sAva

• Let's ride out Avalanche style!
« Reply #14 on: 01/05/03 07:14 PM »

I bought the truck on 08/25/02 so this is my first fill-up.
Currently: Non truck owner :-(

Previously owned: 2002 Black(Base), 2003 Dark Gray Metallic Cladded(Z66), 2005 Dark Gray Metallic WBH(Base), 2007 4WD Graystone Metallic(LT2), 2002 Black Z71 and 2004 Blue WBH(Base).

Marc'sAva

• Let's ride out Avalanche style!
« Reply #15 on: 01/05/03 07:16 PM »

This is the most that I have put in.

Currently: Non truck owner :-(

Previously owned: 2002 Black(Base), 2003 Dark Gray Metallic Cladded(Z66), 2005 Dark Gray Metallic WBH(Base), 2007 4WD Graystone Metallic(LT2), 2002 Black Z71 and 2004 Blue WBH(Base).

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
« Reply #16 on: 01/05/03 07:19 PM »

Cool, mustang!  I went back through my receipts, but the first Avalanche fill-up I could find was 4/02 when we bought our truck in 10/01.  I know we didn't drive 6 months on the dealer tank of gas, but I can't find it.  Nothing like that first fill-up.... Ahhh...  Except in Oregon they take most of the thrill out of it since they pump your gas for you.

Brendan
MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

gojira-san

« Reply #17 on: 01/06/03 05:56 AM »

Dang, I just checked all my receipts (I have the data stored in my Palm device) and the most I ever put in was 23.442 gals. Not even close  :6:

I usually don't like to go below 1/4 tank for a bunch of reasons, but mostly because I don't want to push the truck...  When I was in college I made a dead stick landing in my roommate's '69 Olds 98 (with the 455 Delta GT engine :) ); that car taught me to have respect for a vehicle's weight!  :o
Former owner of 2002 Indigo Blue AV 1500 4x4 Z71.
2006 Pontiac GTO
2011 Cruze Eco

wonder91178

• 100% Texican ;-)
« Reply #18 on: 01/06/03 05:59 AM »

Geez guys, I won't even let mine get below 1/4 of a tank! Too paranoid  :o

You have the guts!  ;)

Kim
*Official Flashlight Holder For Mods*
*Tinman's Helper*
*Member/Installer in Edward K's Zip-Tie Team*

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
« Reply #19 on: 01/06/03 06:03 AM »

After 10 months I finally let the gas get low enough for the light to come on.  It took 28.5 gallons to refill.  I don't have a picture of my receipt.  How could I not think to take a picture of a gas receipt??   ;)

Usually, my wife pesters me by asking if the Av will get her to the grocery store (5-10 miles away).  Then I ask her how much gas she has left and she always says 1/4 tank.  Yes, honey, I think you'll be okay.......    ;)
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

sponger

• Like A Rock.
« Reply #20 on: 01/06/03 06:23 AM »

I've been running on vapors for the last 15 miles after my "Low Fuel" warning came on... I'll get a full fill after work and see how much this 1500 tank can really hold... I've passed about 20 stations since, but keep on rollin' by... its takin' me too long to figure in the math of how much I will loose from station 2 station.
If theres a Sunset-O on the side w/ a AAA single gallon fill... you know its me.

sponger  :B:
2002 Sunset Orange 1500 -
Tinted - Full Time Amber DRL's - Billet Grill Emblem & Gas Cover - MSD Wires & NGK Iridiums - MUTH Signal Mirrors - Magnaflow dual exhaust - 22" KMC XD Series - Eibach drop springs - Belltech Sway Bars - Graco Rear Seat -

Blanche The Avalanche

« Reply #21 on: 01/06/03 06:46 AM »

I fill up around the half way point. After driving a kar.
w/ an 8 gal. tank for about 23 years and having that 8 gals. last about a week to week and a half....... Well, at half way it dosen't seem to hurt so bad.
 Still overall I think the AV's mileage is much better than I expected.  I use to own a Chevy truck with a 454, everytime you stepped on the pedal the gauge would move.

I SOOOoooooo love this truck ;D ;D :B:

RR

A.J.

• Who says you can't drive through ponds?
    • Read about my pond adventure
« Reply #22 on: 01/06/03 07:27 AM »

Funny you should mention this...  for 2 reasons.

1.  My girlfriend and I debate over this a lot.  As soon as she sees the Low Fuel warning light in my Lanche, she lets me know - as if I can't see the 4" yellow square in my face.  ;-)  She's one of those ooh - my tanks at 1/2, gotta go get gas now!!  I take the stance that when my low fuel light comes on, I know I have about 25-35 miles left.  I check the odometer reading so I know...  (more on this in a bit...)  I think the 'when to fillup' debate can be divided between the sexes.  I remember on my honeymoon (yes, with my ex-wife for you sharp readers) we rented a jeep and cruised up to the top of some volcano in Hawaii.  The low fuel light came on on the way up, and she wanted to turn around and get gas right away.  I said not to worry - we've got plenty of room to get gas when we get back down the mountain.  Besides, if we run out, we can coast down!  ;-)  She was pissed the whole day because of that.  (Shoulda seen the warning signs)    :4:

Now, on to reason #2:

After I did my stereo install, I noticed a rattle in the dash.  I wanted to check it out.  I'm always looking for something to do while filling up the tank, cause it takes like 10 minutes.  So, this particular time, I decide to take apart my dash board, pull out the stereo and see what the problem was.  I paid for the gas (without even looking at the receipt I just signed for) and pulled away.  Around the corner, I noticed the low fuel light was still on.  I thought that I had pulled something loose in one of the fuel gauges or something.  Went to my friend's auto repair shop, and had him look at the gauges.  "You sure you have gas in here?"  Yea, I just filled it up...

I thought, "oh well, I'll check with the dealer on Monday..."  and continued driving around.  Sure enough - truck dies that night.  Called On-Star to pick it up - sent a flatbed in like 5 minutes, that was cool!  They drop it at the dealer.  Monday morning, I call the dealer - again - "You sure you have gas in here?"  Yea, I just filled it up...  "Well, we put a splash of gas in here, and it started up."   Hmm.. check my receipt - only like $12.  (Keep in mind in NJ you can't pump your own gas)

So, I go back to the gas station (good place - I still use em) to find out what happened.  Turns out that they had new pumps, and weren't used to using them.  No gas went into my truck, but the display went up to $12.  So I drove around on fumes for about 35 miles.  ;-0  The guy that pumped the gas gave me $20 out of his pocket for his mistake.

So, I know the range once the low fuel light goes on - cause I tested it  ;-)

When I filled it up after picking up the truck, I put in 29.19 gallons, so the dealer must have had a generous 'splash.'  My record in 29.62 gallons.

Damn, didn't think that would be such a long story...  ;-)

ShapeShifter

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • What a great trip it's been...
    • ShapeShifter
« Reply #23 on: 01/06/03 08:16 AM »

Dang, I just checked all my receipts (I have the data stored in my Palm device) and the most I ever put in was 23.442 gals. Not even close  :6:

I hate to get off topic, but what do you use to keep track of gas? I love my Palm m505, and can't live without it. I've been using AutoMobile to keep track of gas, but I'm wondering of there's something better.

Damn, didn't think that would be such a long story...  ;-)

Long, but good! :1:

-- SS

gojira-san

« Reply #24 on: 01/06/03 08:27 AM »

[...]what do you use to keep track of gas? I love my Palm m505, and can't live without it
I have used AutoBase (works ok, shows instant MPG when you enter the fill, no conduit just copy to memo, oh it is free :) ).

I am also using AutoSlate which has more features (more categories, more flexible alarms, custom filters) and has a conduit to output the data to a file on your PC. It is $15 I think.

Both work on Palm 5, well the newest version of AutoSlate does (v1.26) because I asked for them to fix the bugs before I would buy it ;)

Still trying to decide so I use both right now :)
« Last Edit: 01/06/03 08:27 AM by gojira-san »
Former owner of 2002 Indigo Blue AV 1500 4x4 Z71.
2006 Pontiac GTO
2011 Cruze Eco

sponger

• Like A Rock.
« Reply #25 on: 01/07/03 03:18 AM »

after rollin' on next to nothing for over 20 miles after the warning...

the 1500 filled 27.35 gal @ 1.53per... totaling around 42$

:B:
Tinted - Full Time Amber DRL's - Billet Grill Emblem & Gas Cover - MSD Wires & NGK Iridiums - MUTH Signal Mirrors - Magnaflow dual exhaust - 22" KMC XD Series - Eibach drop springs - Belltech Sway Bars - Graco Rear Seat -

Rus7y

• The best of the best, AVALANCHE
« Reply #26 on: 01/07/03 11:02 AM »

The best I have done is 27 gals. that was about 30 miles after light came on. Are there any variables, such as 31gals tank holding 1 or 2 gals more or less? Also does the warning light come on at the same level, vehicle to vehicle?

Just thinking out loud.
02 Summit White 1500, Full Time Amber DRL, Sliver Stars, 899 Fogs, Born 10/01, GM Dash Cup Holders,Hitch Step, Flowmaster 70,  Gatorback black

NJAV

• Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: 01/07/03 11:44 PM »

I don't know how you guys do it....If I ever let the Av get below a quarter tank...I think I would have a heartattack.....thus I don't think I would provide any real results in this dept.... :B:

ZimmsAv

• Nightime DRL's!
    • ZimmsAv Pics
« Reply #28 on: 01/08/03 02:19 AM »

On my trips back & forth to Detroit the other day I went about 40 miles past when the light came on, and it took 29 gallons.
My avg was 16.2 mpg. ::)

Royal Oak, Michigan
ZimmsAv Pics

fsuguy

« Reply #29 on: 01/08/03 02:38 AM »

I never get  too low. I fill up whenever I get my beer!

I always make the amount  ##.61 and then get my beer.
It always comes up ##.00.  I've gone to the same place for years and these guys are always amazed.
'WOW - it come up even. How you do that?'

'78 CORVETTE

byron

• He Who Must Not Be Named
« Reply #30 on: 01/08/03 02:41 AM »

I always gas up at about 1/4 of a tank or so.  I have a buddy who is a GM mechanic who spends most of his days replacing the $700 fuel pump in Silverado's.  The fuel pumps are gas cooled.  So when you hit the bottom of that tank they are not covered in gas anymore and can burn up.

sponger

• Like A Rock.
« Reply #31 on: 01/08/03 03:55 AM »

good point byron...

thats reason enough for me to not force the situation and fill-up before the light comes on...  :1:

NJAV

• Charter Member
« Reply #32 on: 01/08/03 06:32 AM »

I always gas up at about 1/4 of a tank or so.  I have a buddy who is a GM mechanic who spends most of his days replacing the $700 fuel pump in Silverado's.  The fuel pumps are gas cooled.  So when you hit the bottom of that tank they are not covered in gas anymore and can burn up.

Wow...that is money that can be used for mods...instead of replacing a fuel pump....hey that would be headers for my Av.... :D :B:

PUNISHER

« Reply #33 on: 01/11/03 06:40 AM »

all i was able to get was 22 gals. and $30 in the tank today the AV. :B:
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

PUNISHER

« Reply #34 on: 01/11/03 06:42 AM »

that is good info Byron.  thanx.  i try to fill up at about a 1/4 anyway to keep the trash out the pump and filter.  now i have an even better reason. :B:
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

Wiki

• Island Bound
« Reply #35 on: 01/11/03 06:48 AM »

I try not to remember how much each fill up is.....I mentally block it out until the card statement comes in and then I spend a few moments with Jim Beam, and Jack Daniels to wash away the sorrow!!!!  (not really)

Wiki
Until then, keep your foot in the pedal, and keep reaching for those MODS!

Left in Disgust

• Seven parts Crazy, Three parts Fool
« Reply #36 on: 04/14/03 06:08 AM »

Friday night, I was pushing the gas mileage as there is one exit on I65 where gas is 20 cents cheaper per gallon. Range said 40 miles when it went into sulk mode (only says Fuel Low), and I was 32 miles from the exit.
I put in 31.6 gallons at the exit. My everloving was biting her nails the last 10 miles.....

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
« Reply #37 on: 04/14/03 08:21 PM »

Dang! Tree-Hugger!  Great work!

So did they enlarge the fuel tank on the '03 1500?  I thought it was only 31 gal...

Brendan
MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

RichUF

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • UNP1MPD
« Reply #38 on: 04/15/03 12:46 AM »

31 gal on the '03's AFAIK.  Speaking of, I'm not going to make a habit of running it this low, but my new '03 is on its first tank of gas and I wanted to see when when the light would come on.  I'm in the red and no light.  What gives?  Does my "stripped-down" Z71 not have the light?  Is it a part of the convenience package that I don't have?

Rich
[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]

Left in Disgust

• Seven parts Crazy, Three parts Fool
« Reply #39 on: 04/15/03 02:41 AM »

My reading of the manual is 'approx' 31 gallons, so I don't distrust the pump's reading of 31.6 gallons. It first cutoff at 30.55, this was a second squeeze. I suspect I had a VERY close to totally empty tank, and fuel in the filler neck after I filled up.
My real response is now to basically trust the last 'Range' reading  (before 'sulk mode'!), but still fill up at the first reasonable opportunity after 'sulk mode' is initiated.
BTW, I can't see why you would expect to get crud into the lines at the bottom end of a tank. The input to the pump is ALWAYS at the bottom of the tank, doesn't matter how much fuel you have in there, it always sucks it from the same place....
And leaving it full(when possible) when parked overnight to avoid condensation USED to make sense. But now every vehicle runs a positive pressure fuel vapor return to the tank, and your empty tank is now full of that, not humid air.....
I think these are another couple of 'used-to-be-trues' it's long past time to retire (like not cross-rotating radials!)

Edward K

• The Commercial Appeal
« Reply #40 on: 06/15/03 08:27 AM »

On the way back from Charleston, SC on Friday I finally got one worth posting and since a picture is worth a thousand words...

pdxkevin

• CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member
  • Spero nos familiares mansuros
    • pdxkevin's webshots albums
« Reply #41 on: 06/15/03 03:15 PM »

The biggest I can remember happened only a couple days ago. and let me tell you I was sweating the ride to the gas station. Once that light came on I tried to get to the station but needed to stop home for the gas card first.  Then the long slow drive to the gas station.  There is a gas station in my town it closes at 6pm though.

I ended up putting 28.76 gallons into it.  Not beating any one here but sure had me on edge during that ride to the gas station.  I kept thinking "well, its not raining so the walk won't be that bad." and "I hgope they don't charge me to borrow a gas can."

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel pump being cooled by the gas.  I will try to keep it over a quarter tank from now on.
...  Go Play outside  ...

smigdiggler

• former Avy Addict
    • Dacalier Wine Co.
« Reply #42 on: 06/16/03 02:03 AM »

Try 30 gallons...that came to 57.00...Living in NorCal is tough on the wallet...

when does the avalanche go hybrid??
FORMER CAFCNA REGISTERED PARTNER

RIP-- 03/2003, DGM WBH, Z-71

Now an Acadia owner..but i miss my Avy!

PaulP

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!
« Reply #43 on: 06/16/03 11:05 AM »

I had an extended cab 8' bed with dual tanks. I got to find out that a lot of pumps stop pumping at $50
Silver Birch - LT WBH Z66

roro

• My Motto: $10 pair of boots and $100 shine.
« Reply #44 on: 06/16/03 11:20 AM »

Coming back from the beach..I really pushed it.  30.9 gallons.

I was literally on vapors.  Sorry no proof, but nothing to lie about here.

RoRo

2003 Z71 Chevrolet Avalanche Dark Grey, Charcoal Interior
Mods: Wagg BG, airbag sticker cover, 23% tint, decal removal, ProCold Air Filter, Mag-light mod, Trenz bowtie, Stull polished grill, window visors, FT-DRL

Bisonovich

« Reply #45 on: 06/16/03 11:40 AM »

ah man...i push 28-29 gallons every time i get gas...i don't like to fill up until the last minute...i like to be able to shop around for a deal on gas and see if the price will drop...of course my luck it rarely does...but i have a few gas stations i like to scout on the way to or from work and if i see one just before the light comes on with a much cheaper price of gas i might stop...i figure if i'm filling nearly 30 gallons a shot...then 5-10 cents a gallon really helps...and it's the principle of paying too much for gas that drives me to wait on the light...i'll have to keep track and see if i run the Av under 30 gallons...I've filled 29.75 gallons before but I was getting nervious that i'd run out...
i have run out of gas in my mom's camaro with her in it...b/c i was pushing it to get to a less expensive gas station...I nearly ended up literally pushing it
« Last Edit: 06/16/03 11:43 AM by Bisonovich »
2005 1500 z-71 dark blue ava born 5-05 picked up 8-05 w/  no mods

WindnSnow

« Reply #46 on: 06/16/03 11:46 AM »

I just filled up 232 gallons so I could make a cross country trip without  so many stops! Since the bed is so "leakproof" I just plugged the drain holes and filled her up with 93 octane. Connected a syphon tube over the side into the tank.It was a huge bill I don't have the reciept since I immediately drove off the lot (after I busted the cameras with my baseball bat) I mean like, I"M not gonna pay a bill like that! Would you??  It is really smelly though....and DO NOT open up the midgate!! This part is very important.

Sincerely not....

Oh, I really do sincerely wish the computer on the 03's would not give up after 40 miles to go! It should take you down to the last mile. It would be so cool for betting purposes and the macho thing of gas station logistics.

Kimberly

« Reply #47 on: 06/16/03 12:51 PM »

30.8.... no proof....just a wallet that floated like a birthday balloon in space!  $51.00.  'Nuff said.

geopyg

« Reply #48 on: 06/17/03 07:13 AM »

A bit off topic - but my Dad was an "expert" at getting the last bit of gas out of his car.  I remember twice being in the car with him and COASTING into the gas station 'cuz we were out of gas!  He was the "busy" type of guy running here and there, and I think buying gas was a low-priority.  Now guys like that (me!) have the idiot light to say "Honey - shouldn't you get gas now?"
2002 4x4 Indigo Blue

DragonSlayer1

• DARE TO PLAY...
« Reply #49 on: 06/17/03 07:19 AM »

here's one for ya... 118.4 Canadian litres. @ .929ó

G.

« Last Edit: 06/17/03 07:19 AM by Gene »
03 2500 4X4 Black,TOG,Valanca body kit, K&N Gen2, 20wheels,2" wheel spacers,full front billet grill,custom Lit Bowtie,custom airbrush paint for the AVALANCHE "SS"lettering in silver/purple and grey,custom interior paint work,overhead light switchs(10 in all),blue lights all around,flashers,strobes,checker plate all around incl. cargo covers,cargo box covers , Custom Dual exhaust ,full detailed DRAGON air brushed on gate ,dropped & leveled, and More...

RichUF

• UNP1MPD
« Reply #50 on: 06/17/03 07:51 AM »

My "best" is only 29.005, so I won't bother scanning it and posting as it wouldn't come close to competing here.

Main One

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • I've got Yellow Fever!
« Reply #51 on: 06/17/03 08:32 AM »

Oh, I really do sincerely wish the computer on the 03's would not give up after 40 miles to go! It should take you down to the last mile. It would be so cool for betting purposes and the macho thing of gas station logistics.

My wife's previous mini-van's computer would go ALL THE WAY DOWN.  We had gone to Disney World and were stuck in traffic trying to get to a gas station.  I could have thrown a rock and hit a pump, but we were stuck in stand-still traffic with the computer saying we had 0 miles left before we ran out of gas.  Luckily we had enough to idle our way over to the gas station after the traffic cleared after a couple of nervous minutes!  :o

Fastest AV at Bowling Green GTG - 88.76 mph
Quickest 1/2 ton AV at Bowling Green GTG - 15.914 sec ET
Reaction Time - Don't Ask!!!
Bowling Green GTG Texas Hold'em Champion!

7of7

• The GateCam
« Reply #52 on: 06/17/03 04:21 PM »

My biggest was about 30.87 gallons.  I drove from Everett, WA to Gold Beach, Oregon on one tank, after running a few errands at home.  My range indicator goes to LOW at about 25 miles.  Don't know the mileage, but the bill was 54.00, and I remember the price was 1.74.  My dad wanted me to go to a station further down the road because it was 3 cents cheaper per gallon.  The only thing I could picture was pushing an Avalanche, or walking in the rain to the gas station that I passed up....  Or, I could have called OnStar up and had some delivered...  Anyone ever do that? call onstar and tell them you need gas delivered?
2003 Arrival Blue 1500 Z71, Every Option Except Engine Block Heater and XM Radio.  Snakeeyes Rear View Camera System, Stainless Assist Steps, Protection Package,  DRL Mod,  Headrest Mod, 2500 Front Wheel Well Moldings,Full-Time DRL's,

FISHNFF

Biggest [fuel] Fill On 1500? áPost 'em!
« Reply #53 on: 08/08/03 09:45 PM »

:o

I just filled up my 03 AV Z66 before coming to work. I have been driving for two days since the fuel light came on. The last day it stayed on. It was a little hard to start the last two times. I drove the 4 blocks to a Shell station and was very surprised about the amount of fuel that went in. I actually put in 30+ gallons before at another station, but this time it kicked off at 31.7 gallons. The final tally was a hair shy of 32 1/4 gallons.
I know you can't put 10lbs of s#*t in a 5lb bag, so whats up?
The other time I put over 30 gallons in, I was doing it to see how far I could go after the fuel light goes on (I know about damaging the fuel pump and sucking up crap).
Are the stations ripping us off (more than usual) or do I have a "fat" tank?  I could care less about bragging rights, but I am wondering if I should report this to some regulating agency. I use this station fairly often and fill my boat tanks there too. There seems to be little if any variance with filling at other stations (i.e. I can get 6.5 gallons in my 6 gallon tank if I fill it up to the lip).

Thanks, Brian K.
FISHNFF

AvaLance

• RIP Avalanche 2002-2013
« Reply #54 on: 08/09/03 08:53 AM »

Well it was not my biggest fuel fill but it was the most I have ever spend on gas when I was up in Canada I fueled up 88 leters of gas and it cost me $80.00 :o
Current
18 Silverado Centennial Edition Z71, Centennial Blue LTZ

PAST (My Av's will be missed)
18 Traverse 3LT, Silver Ice
16 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ TX Ed Tungsten Gray
15 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 Deep Ocean Blue
14 Silverado LT Texas Edition, Rainforest Green
07 Avalanche Z71 LT3 Summit White
06 Avalanche Z71 Summit White
02 Avalanche Z71 Summit White

wonder91178

• 100% Texican ;-)
« Reply #55 on: 08/09/03 09:01 AM »

:o

I just filled up my 03 AV Z66 before coming to work. I have been driving for two days since the fuel light came on. The last day it stayed on. It was a little hard to start the last two times. I drove the 4 blocks to a Shell station and was very surprised about the amount of fuel that went in. I actually put in 30+ gallons before at another station, but this time it kicked off at 31.7 gallons. The final tally was a hair shy of 32 1/4 gallons.
I know you can't put 10lbs of s#*t in a 5lb bag, so whats up?
The other time I put over 30 gallons in, I was doing it to see how far I could go after the fuel light goes on (I know about damaging the fuel pump and sucking up crap).
Are the stations ripping us off (more than usual) or do I have a "fat" tank?  I could care less about bragging rights, but I am wondering if I should report this to some regulating agency. I use this station fairly often and fill my boat tanks there too. There seems to be little if any variance with filling at other stations (i.e. I can get 6.5 gallons in my 6 gallon tank if I fill it up to the lip).

Thanks, Brian K.
FISHNFF

We talked about this at a GTG once and decided that once you filled the tank, you also have to account for the pipes and stuff so you could technically put more than 31 gallons in your AV...

I never run mine below 1/4 of a tank myself so I've never had a big fill up to test it out.

Kim
*Official Flashlight Holder For Mods*
*Tinman's Helper*
*Member/Installer in Edward K's Zip-Tie Team*

bobith4

• Nothing like a Heavy Chevy
« Reply #56 on: 08/09/03 09:52 AM »

I just put $45 in and I still had a 65 mile range left.  My beef is the MPG I was getting 11.7 :7: and now I use Plus gas just so I get 12 flat to make me feel better.
2003 Z71, Black, full featured tan leather, loaded, powerfold mirrors, XM, and portable Playstation 2.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bobith4

My Baby

502Hoss=Me

• My little Avalanche Passenger!
« Reply #57 on: 08/09/03 10:42 AM »

Biggest ever filled up was 31.? gallons and it wasn't even on empty when I filled up. Cost $50.80   :o
It is a 2500 though and the 31 gallons didn't last that long either driving around for the weekend here and there. I try not to go below 1/4 tank now just because don't want to suck up yucky stuff at the bottom.  :1:
2002 Chevy Avalanche 2500:  Black, 4x4, Leather, OnStar, etc.  Flowmaster 70 series, Full Time DRLs, Custom Bowtie from Carriles.  Only the best... 8.1L engine... I could pull your house down with this!!  :o  What else could a girl ask for?...besides maybe a gas card? ;)

timfarn

• Charter Member
  • "Have you still got that fancy truck?"
« Reply #58 on: 09/26/03 02:06 PM »

Pushed the limit several times - never had a stumble (yet).

2002 Indigo Blue Z71
Tan Leather/Fully Loaded/K& N/Full Time Amber DRLs & 885 Fogs/Cassette Deck/Enkei Fenders/Hayden Trans Cooler/MSD 8.5MM/NGK TR55s/Magnaflow SS Exhaust
1979 WS6 Trans Am

brmiller

• Charter Member
  • Will code for food.
Biggest [fuel] Fill On 1500? Post 'em!
« Reply #59 on: 09/26/03 02:20 PM »

Pushed the limit several times - never had a stumble (yet).

Dang!  That's a lot of gas...  a lot of times!

Brendan
MODs:

10/08/01 - 08/21/08

Trafficman

• CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member
  • I love CAFCNA
    • Picture Trail
« Reply #60 on: 12/03/03 11:19 AM »

I was sweating buckets getting back from the SLC.  I filled her up and she took a 40.00 bill and 27.042 gallons @ 420 Miles which gives me 15.531395 MPH.  Now remember if you go to Petes place and read about my Christmas Tree adventure My AV was doing alot of keeping kids warm while sitting.  So I think this is great MPH.  In '93 I was coming across Nebraska and did not fill up I was with My Aunt and My Mother and Father in a Big ford econoline Van with two tanks.  I ran out of gas.  Cost me 100.00 + gas + all the crap I received from Ma and Aunt Oma.  Thats why I was sweating bullets before I filled up.  The wifey kept looking at the Get Fuel message and then at me!!!!!

love_the_lanche

• Go Chevy!
« Reply #61 on: 12/03/03 11:22 AM »

28.5 was the most for me.  Had me worried too.

yellowz71

« Reply #62 on: 12/03/03 11:58 AM »

But how close is the computer to what you put in.
Every time I fill up I put atleast a gallon more than the computer
says I used, where does all that gas go?
2006 TrailBlazer EXT

TD Harley

• Its not the destination,it's the way you get there
« Reply #63 on: 12/03/03 12:40 PM »

I have gotten into the habit of filling up well before I am down to the 1/4 tank mark since the gas pumps only go to $50.00 on the credit card and the company pays for my gas. I would have to reset the machine to fully fill the tanks on my 2500.
2002 Summit White 2500 with ALL the Chevy options, Pioneer DVD with Pioneer speakers, chrome nerf bar, Amber DRL's, *Hi, low  Silverstar's*, tailgate mod, hardwired radar detector, Bullbars w/PIAA lights, Go Rhino SS back hitch assist step, Viper alarm w/ remote start, tinted windows, headrest monitors, air bag assist rear suspension & trim to match my toy hauler travel trailer

2005 Raptor toyhauler travel trailer, 2001 Harley, & 2001 Indian

Wvusquatch

« Reply #64 on: 12/03/03 01:26 PM »

I do not have the reciept, but can say that I have done a 31 gallon fill.  When I first got the Avalanche I thought that the tank was 34 gallons, so when the light use to come on I was like wow I still have another 7 gallons.  Well when I was going to the Piegon Fordge Meet, a couple of other memebers told me that I was wrong.  That is when I looked at the book at saw that it was 32 Gallons
Please do not send me a PM, as I can not reply to you.

RichUF

• UNP1MPD
« Reply #65 on: 12/03/03 01:35 PM »

I do not have the reciept, but can say that I have done a 31 gallon fill.  When I first got the Avalanche I thought that the tank was 34 gallons, so when the light use to come on I was like wow I still have another 7 gallons.  Well when I was going to the Piegon Fordge Meet, a couple of other memebers told me that I was wrong.  That is when I looked at the book at saw that it was 32 Gallons

Hey, Wvusquatch, that is the very first post of yours that I have EVER seen that did not contain at least one exclamation point (!)  Are you down today or something?  :P ;) ;D

Gary2kC5

• I feel the need 4 speed
    • My Corvette Forum website
« Reply #66 on: 12/03/03 04:25 PM »

where                 Gallons   PPG     Total     date     time
Minonk, IL Shell 31.436  1.599  $50.27 19-Oct 19:48

Always got to top off a little when pulling the big 24' box.
« Last Edit: 12/05/03 02:48 PM by Gary2kC5 »
2003 yellow Avalanche, WBH, Z71, no mods yet
2000 yellow Corvette Coupe, very modded 480 hp
1969 yellow SS 350 Camaro
1969 silver   SS 396 Camaro
1969 yellow LS1 Camaro (project)
1974 yellow Porsche 914
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/2kmyc5/

CraigF

• That's Maddie--the cutest little girl in the world
« Reply #67 on: 12/03/03 04:46 PM »

I was thinking about this thread today as I put 26.7 gallons in.  That's my biggest fill to date, I don't think I'll beat it.  I usually fill around 24 gallons.

Craig
2003 Onyx Avalanche Z71 sold on 9/27.  Replaced by 2006 SOM Chevrolet HHR

Ghost

• Aye, Laddie...Ya got any beer?
« Reply #68 on: 12/03/03 05:34 PM »

29.6 is my personal record... AJ, ya beat me by a splash...  That was the road trip last year... Averaged 21.9 mpg... 3300 miles...

R.I.P Burner
1961-2008

Wvusquatch

« Reply #69 on: 12/15/03 01:25 PM »

Just the other day!!!!!  (Just for RICHUF)!!!!!!!!!

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
    • Chevy Avalanche Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: 12/15/03 01:33 PM »

A $1.22 a gallon?  Damn - I'd be driving more if gas was that inexpensive here.

The most I've done is 30.1 gallons.  If I had more motivation I could find a receipt for 29.8 gallons from this weekend.

The most dollar wise I've ever put in the tank was $60.00.  it was $2.08 ot $2.09 a gallon when  I filled up.  That was depressing.
2011 LTZ 4WD, White Diamond Tricoat, Black Leather - purchased 4/6/2015

2002 Z71, Indigo Blue, Graphite Leather

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Holden Commodore conversion

2005 Saturn Relay FWD3 Bronze Mist, Tan Leather, weather beater

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 Silver, Gray Leather

1985 Isuzu Impulse Silver, Blue Cloth, fully restored survivor

gotmyav

• I love the Chevy Avalanche; especially in YELLOW!
« Reply #71 on: 12/31/03 04:43 PM »

Just got back from Northern WI pulling the sleds (14 mpg on the way up and 10 mpg on the way home - strong head wind).  The low fuel light was on and I pulled in to fill up - I stopped at an even $50.00 (couldn't take anymore $$ shock) which came to 30.26 gallons, my best yet.  Note: I usually get about 18 mpg not pulling anything (interstate driving)

Need4Speed

• Charter Member
    • Half-breed
« Reply #72 on: 01/01/04 05:52 AM »

My biggest fill - 28.762 gallons. Note - the resources page of this site, 2002 specifications, indicates "fuel tank 31 gal" (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/2002_1500_4x4.html).

The owners manual (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/owners_manual.htm ) section 6 under capacities also shows 31 gal for the 2002 1500 Av.
« Last Edit: 01/01/04 05:54 AM by half-breed »

cotton

« Reply #73 on: 01/06/04 01:25 PM »

just curious, I keep hearing that there is a 2 gallon reserve. Is this information false?
Brian

Wvusquatch

« Reply #74 on: 01/07/04 12:03 PM »

I think the tank is 31 Gallons, but the filler neck holds a 1/2 gallon!!  I promise that is one true receipt without any modifactions!!  So do I get a n award or something???

WVUSQUATCH

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #75 on: 01/07/04 01:37 PM »

Man....the other day...the light comes on...I drive about 5-6 miles...and start filling...

after a while I say dayum must have hole in tank as this thing is not shutting off....

look under dry...

finally clicks off....31.5 gals.....WOW

this after light just comes on....
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

RichUF

• UNP1MPD
« Reply #76 on: 02/11/04 02:11 PM »

Man....the other day...the light comes on...I drive about 5-6 miles...and start filling...

after a while I say dayum must have hole in tank as this thing is not shutting off....

look under dry...

proof please

:P

Zuhl555's got us all beat on highest cost for fill-up
check it out  :o
« Last Edit: 02/11/04 02:14 PM by RichUF »

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #77 on: 02/11/04 03:03 PM »

look under dry...

proof please

:P

Zuhl555's got us all beat on highest cost for fill-up
check it out  :o
no proof as I send in reciepts for reimbursement....which means more to me then this thread hehehehe

other day was filling and put gas cap under handle doohicky thingy...and went to other side of truck and talked to GF...after while she says....I smell gas....I say we are downwind....then I hear splash splash splash...and look down and concrete is all wet....

I run around truck.....yup....dayum thing did not sut off.....Argggggggg

It got to 30 gallons......but probably 3 on ground hehehehe
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

zukracer

• CAFCNA Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: 10/26/04 12:53 PM »

hmmm..... looking at some of these old reciepts .... what we wouldnt do to get those prices back!!
My webshots folder
03 Onyx Black Z71, 4.10, lots of stuff added, normally with a nice coat of dirt

IB Mike

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • Californication
« Reply #79 on: 10/26/04 01:05 PM »

hmmm..... looking at some of these old reciepts .... what we wouldnt do to get those prices back!!

Ain't that the truth! Tired of spending a $50 bill per fill up   >:(

When I got my AV, being a typical male, I just had to test out the 'puter and see how accurate it was.

It is pretty darn close... I within a couple of miles... but luckily I was prepared and had put a gas can in the bed.

My Dakota was way off, when it said I had 0 miles left I could easily get another 30-50 miles.

Now I know... when the AV speaks, I listen!   :B:
USAF CMSgt (E-9)

04 ONYX BLACK 1500 Z71
MODS: MAAP Challenger steps, mag light, extinguisher, LOF, Auto Trim Designs patriotic theme decals (Z71/windshield/door/tailgate letters), sail panel LEDs, red neon, 2 4' red, white, & blue FireStiks, Flowmaster SUPER 40, dual batteries, custom AF bowtie, tint, 2 Orion 10s under back seat w/ 500W Hifonics Apollo Son of Boltar amp...

woodchuck

• 2003 Avalanche Z71
    • WoodchuckCanuck.com
Re: Biggest [fuel] Fill On 1500? áPost 'em!
« Reply #80 on: 05/12/05 05:45 AM »

Like I said in another post, 113L (about 29 gallons) and the low fuel light was not even on. So what does that say about the tank size? Based on what I've read here, there's 5 gal left in the tank when the light comes on?
Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.WoodchuckCanuck.com

Fast Eddie

• I hate having to think of something to write here!
« Reply #81 on: 05/12/05 06:26 AM »

Man it sure does suck looking at that receipt and seeing $1.29 a gallon    :C:

Most stations over here are $2.59-2.65 for premium. :E:

ygmn, I never saw this thread last year when you posted, but it seems like your station was pulling a fast one on you.  From what I have heard gas station pumps can be modified so that when you reach say 20 gallons they switch to a different fill rate effectively cheating us out of gas.  They do that b/c when they are sampled for proper measurement they don't ever sample that much gas.

Since your truck has a 31 gallon tank and you took 31.5 gallons that would mean you basically filled up the tank, filler neck filter and lines.  Your truck would have been dead by then.  these tanks are so long they will loose fuel pressure with 1-2 gallons left in them.

I have noticed some local stations will sometimes seem to give an extra gallon than the truck should take.

Ed
2005 EXT White Diamond, Nav/roof/rims/DVD
Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N 77 series intake, rear camera/ pac interface, Maglite mod 2007 18" Slade rims and tires
2005 Denali Nav/roof/DVD
2003 Turbo Sunset Orange 1500 Av Z71 --SOLD

Flint4x4

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
« Reply #82 on: 06/12/06 01:16 PM »

Man it sure does suck looking at that receipt and seeing $1.29 a gallon    :C:

I just got my first gas pump quit, I always pay at the pump $75.00 it stopped  :E:
'94 Chevy S10 ext. cab. low miles, '09 GMC Acadia low miles
FWD + RWD = 4x4, loaded '04 AV totaled late 2016

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Teach your children well, they are the future.
    • Fcaebook
« Reply #83 on: 06/12/06 02:21 PM »

The most I ever put in was last year in Milwaukee. I spent 100.31. I put in 29 gallons at 3.45 a gallon.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

goom49

• The AV is outta this world!
« Reply #84 on: 06/12/06 02:30 PM »

:o 31.5 gallons!  :o Just a little over a week ago.

I filled up (ie the pump stopped at $75) before leaving for a 7 hour drive.  After the light came on and said I had 40 miles I drove 20-25 miles to get cheaper gas, saved $0.15 per gallon and spend $82.00 to fill it. 

Ill look for the receipt  :4:
06 Black 1500 Cladded LT.  chrome step bar, Sunroof, & tent/mattress    Mods: full time Ambers, front tint, 4onHigh, Split hinged Mid-Deck, Maglite, rear head rest removed, diamond plate rear bumper, stainless window trim, chrome handles, power tailgate lock, sail panel LEDs, F&I, dual batteries, Pioneer F90BT, & two 8 inch kicker L5s (gotta get pics)

67 Mustang midnight blue coupe (50% of modding budget)

Flint4x4

« Reply #85 on: 06/12/06 02:39 PM »

I didn't fill mine, 26.6 gallons and it quit at $75

LoneWolfbd

• It's not over until the Wolf howls.
« Reply #86 on: 06/12/06 04:04 PM »

28.7 gallons...

Brian

'04 SBM Z71, FT Amber DRL's, All 4 On High, Blue Curb Lights, Flowmaster 40, Bugflector II, BowTie Hitch Cover.

Hammer

« Reply #87 on: 06/13/06 06:08 AM »

As the typing of this post my wife has the Av and she has to fill the tank from under a 1/4 to full. I gather it will be over 30 gallons of fuel and bout $75 to $80 in cost. I have to laugh because she never fills the damn truck and I always get stuck with it empty. Its not like I don't already have to fill 2 other vehicles.
2005 Dark Metallic Blue Gray Int Z71 LT Fully Loaded No Mods

cwharper

• WhoHoo!! I got an Avalanche!!!!
    • Wes's Avalanche
« Reply #88 on: 06/21/06 06:00 PM »

I can vouch for the 5 gallon rule when the light comes on. I think my largest fillup was a little over 29 gallons. I've never done it, but what does it take to get your engine started again after it has sucked air from the fuel tank?  Can you just fillup and crank until it fires?

rony_espana

• 04 Z71 WBH
« Reply #89 on: 07/05/06 05:49 AM »

I just filled it for the first time yesterday and it had almost a 1/4 tank, it got $110, that is canadian, currently gas prices are at about $1.10/litre, not sure the conversion, but thats expensive!

Roch207

• Horsepower for Horse Towing
« Reply #90 on: 07/05/06 03:10 PM »

92 Liters came out to about $110.00.  Light did not come on.
2002 Summit White 1500 4x4, - Traded on 2010 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4wd with Duramax Diesel

Troublemaker

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • NY NY DC PA
Re: Biggest [fuel] Fill On 1500? Post 'em!
« Reply #91 on: 07/11/06 05:30 AM »

Just think....  4 liters to a gallon.  At $1.10 per LITER, that's $4.40 per GALLON.

And I thought US gas prices were rediculous.  :E: :E: :E: :E:
Click the pic to listen along!

dhrivnak

• Family Home Page
« Reply #92 on: 07/11/06 07:31 PM »

Many of you run it far closer.  The most I have put in is 28.6. gal after 564 miles at a cost of $63.50.  The MPG was 19.7 that time.

I went 566 miles once but only used 26.4 gal that time for 21.4 MPG.

My most expensive was $71.  That tank took 24.4 gal after 481 for 19.7MPG.

So I figure I can easily go 600 miles on a tank if I keep to the highway.

04 AV, 1500 2wd with 3.73 limited slip rear end.  www.hrivnak.com

russo_z

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #93 on: 07/12/06 04:19 PM »

new game whos paying the most per fill up :)  It costs me $109 last week in San Diego.

Zach Russo
Automotive Editor
www.reply.com

butterfingarz

« Reply #94 on: 07/13/06 11:48 AM »

Costs me an average of $91 to fill mine up without the idiot light on. :E: Thats here in Orange County. I think the average cost is about 3.23 per gallon right now here. It was more a couple weeks ago for the 4th...

02 LPM w/ black Gatorback, FTDRL's, sail panel lights, 3rd brake decal, drop-in K&N, MSD wires, Magnaflow cats, Rancho shocks, Escalade cluster, Apline HU, Alpine 4 chan amp and speakers with 12" ported sub, painted engine cover, powerbar and grill.

fokellz

« Reply #95 on: 07/13/06 01:57 PM »

So that means I can get to LosAngelas from SFO in one tank of gas :B:

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #96 on: 07/13/06 04:59 PM »

I can get from Pocatello Idaho to Cheyenne Wyoming on one tank. The total distance for that drive is 587 miles. My record is still 625 miles from Blue Earth Minnesota to Gillette Wyoming.
« Last Edit: 07/13/06 05:01 PM by Shanes 02 Avalanche »
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
.....Abr

downdog2

• To many toys, too little time...
    • Mysite
« Reply #97 on: 07/13/06 05:49 PM »

I put 27.866 Gal. in today for a total of $78.00. i guess we have it somewhat lucky down here in marianna florida. the gass cost 2.799/gal i hope it doesn't go any higher... i will have to hitchhike.... oh yeah, in that 27.866 gallons, it only got me 320.4 miles....
gas prices are really  :beating:
My drinking buddies:
Avalanche - Gas guzzler
and the Mini-lanche - Mazda Miata - Gas sipper

Ready for a trip around the block to the next drink... at the gas station that is.

CHEERS!

Flint4x4

« Reply #98 on: 07/13/06 06:09 PM »

I can get from Pocatello Idaho to Cheyenne Wyoming on one tank. ,..... 587 miles.

Why would anyone be in Pocatello Idaho to start with  ???   :kidding: 

I've never paid over $75 but I don't let my tank run much lower than 1/4 often.
It was $3.05 around here last week, cost me $68 to fill up.

HuntOhio

• Warning...My Avalanche actually goes off road.
    • Jolly Holla Hunt Club
« Reply #99 on: 07/13/06 06:17 PM »

I believe that owners manual states that the Z71 tank is 31 gallons.
I spent $60.00 to fill half the tank once.
Right now the gas price is 2.80 per gallon.
2002 Z71, Pewter, numerous factory options, amber DRLs, vent visors, 4 fender mod, future treated cladding, four on high.

Island Raider

« Reply #100 on: 07/14/06 01:00 PM »

Prices here on Long Island are runing anywhere from $3.15 to $3.45 per gallon of regular and up to $3.80 for premium.  :o

Since I got my truck two months ago I've only had two fill-ups over $80 with the highest being $87.  I know it's stupid but it feels cheaper when I fill up at half a tank and it is only $50, even though it is the same cost to fill up half a tank twice than a whole tank once.  Either way I love my Avy and gas milage be damned, I'm enjoying her.

Mike

Flint4x4

« Reply #101 on: 07/14/06 04:12 PM »

I know it's stupid but it feels cheaper when I fill up at half a tank and it is only $50, even though it is the same cost to fill up half a tank twice than a whole tank once. 

No more stupid than me filling up at 1/4 tank on my credit card because it hurts more to use cash. I glance at the receipt and stuff it in my pocket to throw away later. My paycheck is direct deposit and wife does the bills, the numbers on a balance are abstract unlike parting with the greenbacks from my palm $$$

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #102 on: 07/14/06 04:44 PM »

I fill my truck up every 2 weeks unless I happen to drive more than usual. If for some strange reason I do put a lot of miles on my AV and need to fill up I try to not go below a 1/2 tank. I feel better when I fill my Av up with $40.00 instead of $75-$90.
Gas is going for 2.71-2.76 a gallon around these parts. I filled up Tuesday in Idaho Falls cause I was taking the family to the Zoo. Anyways the gas was 2.81 at the Maverick and it cost me $56.00. I was reading 1/4 tank at that time.
.....Abr

black jack 05

« Reply #103 on: 07/23/06 06:01 AM »

well my 02 i filled it up every week but never let it go below 1/2 tank cheaper to fill up . gas miles ranged anywhere from 17-21 highway and at 300-400 miles.                                                                on my 05 i do the same as with the 02 and gas fill up anywhere from $50-$60 and miles are 300-400 @ 1/2 tank again highway .found that the 05 gets alittle better gas miles than 02.
2002 chevy av z71, cladded , mods corsa cat back ,throttle body spacer, afe intake, edelbrock shocks traded in july 06                                                 2005 chevy av z71 lt, cladded , afe intake                2005 pontiac gto slp lt headers, corsa cat back, cs performance intake,m6

sean

« Reply #104 on: 07/23/06 08:57 PM »

The pumps here stop at $75 and I've done that a couple of times.  It doesn't take much at $3.49 a gallon...

Chrome AV

• Give Me Your AVALANCHE Keys Now!! Keep The Wallet.
    • Chrome Avalanche
« Reply #105 on: 07/28/06 03:18 PM »

40 gallons. What ever the price may come to.

That includes my 2 jerry cans lol.
I like to go on long trips.

Armageddon

« Reply #106 on: 07/30/06 09:59 PM »

I bought the truck on 08/25/02 so this is my first fill-up.
I had to pull up this receipt, and repost >:(
Surreal Innovations' Avalanche SS

7" Pioneer Dual Din 6disc indash
Prototype15" sub on 2800rms in midgate replacement box Nov 2010: Surreal Ra1024-18" on 6000wrms
Tweeters and 4" Midranges in A-pillars
6.5 Midbass Doors [Soon (4) 6.5"]
3way Active crossover setup

Tint: 2.5% all around w/30% windshield
26" MoZ Rims, Kumho 305|30|26

K&N 77series chrome intake
Custom dual 4" tips with flowmaster 40series
SS Bumper/badges, smoked headlight/tails, blacked grill, drl ambers,diablo programmer

Chevy Girl

« Reply #107 on: 08/01/06 09:06 PM »

My biggest is $72 it was my own fault for letting him get that empty, but what really ticked me off is when I went in and the clerk, says "$72"  With this look of shock.  I wanted to smack him, instead I kindly reminded him that gas is $3 a gallon or more. :beating:

josh36530

« Reply #108 on: 10/20/10 09:59 PM »

MY RECORD FILL UP IS A LITTLE OVER 31 GAL. SO IM GUESSING I HAVE A 32 GAL TANK. USUALLY GET ABOUT 500 MIL TO A TANK

TeamCarr

« Reply #109 on: 11/11/10 02:09 PM »

I just purchased my 2005 AV Monday. The fuel light came on, and I filled up a mile later , totalling 28 gallons. I am new member , and will be on everyday, anad will get ppics asap
 Take care,Paul

MooseAlanche

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • The Moose Is On The Loose
« Reply #110 on: 11/11/10 03:44 PM »

I just purchased my 2005 AV Monday. The fuel light came on, and I filled up a mile later , totalling 28 gallons. I am new member , and will be on everyday, anad will get ppics asap
 Take care,Paul
Try not to let the tank go below 1/4 because the gas actually cools the pump so it won't overheat.
Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech

avz66

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • AV - AHOLIC!!!
« Reply #111 on: 11/11/10 04:28 PM »

Try not to let the tank go below 1/4 because the gas actually cools the pump so it won't overheat.
My AV is always empty  :E:
2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,106,000 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door

7-13-15 stage 4 cancer

LornesAV

• CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member
« Reply #112 on: 11/24/10 10:34 AM »

I hopefully won't do this again but I was trying to back to the cheap gas area (30 cents a gallon diff). I know at 30 gallons that only 9 dollar but as much as I drive it adds up quick. Here it a picture of the pump, this was a real butt clincher.

Here a picture of the fuel usage but it' always off and I should of taken a picture of the needle well below E. I haven't run out of gas since my first car and couldn"t afford to keep air in the tires and it was free then.

« Last Edit: 11/24/10 10:59 AM by LornesAV »
2008 Z71

dud_05

« Reply #113 on: 12/30/10 09:15 AM »

I dont remember the exact number since its been a year or two but I put in just under 31 gallons. That was after driving 70 miles with the fuel light on.
02 Avalanche
Windows tinted(20%)
Drop in K&N airfilter
MSD Wires
Magnaflow muffler(stock pipe)
Cranked torsion bars
285 BF Goodrich AT
Corvette 2/4 servo, pinless accumulators, and shift kit
Trans temp gauge installed in stock cluster
Diablo Predator

MooseAlanche

« Reply #114 on: 12/30/10 09:34 AM »

I hopefully won't do this again but I was trying to back to the cheap gas area (30 cents a gallon diff). I know at 30 gallons that only 9 dollar but as much as I drive it adds up quick. Here it a picture of the pump, this was a real butt clincher.

Here a picture of the fuel usage but it' always off and I should of taken a picture of the needle well below E. I haven't run out of gas since my first car and couldn"t afford to keep air in the tires and it was free then.

Wow  :o you guys like to push it
Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech

Chris_G1

• Burlington, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #115 on: 12/30/10 09:41 AM »

A 77 dollar fill would be a dream come true ! Im in Canada and I am between 110 and 120 each fill. Its embarassing when 2 or 3 small cars come and go while your still filling one tank !!!!
2007 Black Avalanche LTZ

Dueck

• CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member
« Reply #116 on: 12/30/10 09:53 AM »

A 77 dollar fill would be a dream come true ! Im in Canada and I am between 110 and 120 each fill. Its embarassing when 2 or 3 small cars come and go while your still filling one tank !!!!

I feel your pain. Although in Manitoba gas is a bit cheaper than Ontario ($1.049/ liter), it's still between $90 and $100.  :E: Makes vacationing south of the border a bit easier, now that the Cdn dollar is up there.
2007 LTZ, SOM, GM bug deflector, Chevy mud flaps, Weather Tech floor mats & vent shades, mid-deck, color matched bowties, rear head rest mod, amber DRL's, low profile bedslide, RECON LED tail light bar, Bowtie hitch cover, Silverstar zXe headlights, AR893 black & machined wheels/Nexen Roadian HP tires, LED reverse lights, EZ Down tailgate assist .
VI - Winnipeg, Manitoba

TeamYardsale

« Reply #117 on: 07/26/11 11:13 AM »

Put in 30.57 gallons at $3.86 a gallon in NY the other day and it cost me $118.00. I drove for another 81 miles after my low fuel light came on then got nervous and decided i should fill up. good thing cause she was thirsty. before reading this thread I have never put in more then 27 gallons at once cause I usually just fill it within around 15 miles of the low fuel light.  :B:
2004 Avalanche Z71 104K miles: black bowtie: black bowties on stock 16s rims: LED rear light bar: black lower front bumper

erict1234

• The family photo on top of Killington Vermont.
« Reply #118 on: 07/30/11 11:39 AM »

But my other runner-up receipt in terms of "most gas pumped" (over the whole time I've had the Av) came earlier on this trip when filling the tank cost $47.50 (!)

The receipt is a little hard to read (running out of ink at this Chevron), but we faired a little bit better in terms of miles between fillups at 449.5.  MPG is still 15+; again the snow and headwind were a factor.  But don't buy gas in Willows, CA--1.61 for 87 octane sent me through the roof!

Let 'er rip--I know some of you (Californians?) have paid wild prices for even 87 octane.  Here in Salem, OR I usually pay $1.25-$1.40.

Brendan

The post above was back in January of 2003. Fast forward to today and it will cost $128.00 @ $4.00 a gallon in Connecticut.  :E: That's a 269% increase!!! Who would think that gas would have jumped this much in 8 years?  ???

Thanks Washington, you bunch of ASS CLOWNS!!!  :beating: Remember this in 2012!
« Last Edit: 07/30/11 11:47 AM by erict1234 »
Proud owner of a mint 06 Bermuda Blue LT Z-71 WBH Avy. I love this truck! Ummů SUV? OK, I got it, Dual Purpose Vehicle! :1:

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #119 on: 07/30/11 02:47 PM »

Hard words bud, if you only knew what I pay for a fill up.
« Last Edit: 07/30/11 02:50 PM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

erict1234

« Reply #120 on: 07/30/11 11:51 PM »

Yes, very hard words indeed! I guess.  ::) The truth can hurt sometimes.
Proud owner of a mint 06 Bermuda Blue LT Z-71 WBH Avy. I love this truck! Ummů SUV? OK, I got it, Dual Purpose Vehicle! :1:

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #121 on: 07/31/11 03:55 AM »

I just did a to round trip drive from coarsegold, ca to 16miles south of Jackson, wyo. I spent 4 days camping with family. I pulled a 2000 lbs trailer up and pulled 7000 lbs trailer back and spent $ 477 on gas for the entire trip. I averaged 12.3 mpg for the trip.
I do have one tip, never pull that heavy of a trailer without trailer brakes. I had a hell of a time getting down the Ca. Side of Donner Pass. That trailer did not want to stay behind me at all. Just keeping out on one lane was hard enough.
.....Abr

gayrdnk

• awesome truck
« Reply #122 on: 08/10/11 09:20 PM »

Just filled up for the.first time last night. Wasnt sure how reliable the fuel.light and guage was so got a little nervous. It was 29.339 gallons at 3.59 a gallon, so $105.00 was my largest fill so far...
02 chevy avalanche north face edition, green, green and black interior

BCmountaineer

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
    • CarDomain
« Reply #123 on: 08/11/11 02:41 AM »

I havent seen gas below $1.30 per liter (times 3.9 for gallons) for about 6 months now.  you do the math, i dont have the stomach too.

2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH: Factory BOSE Sound System, GM Bug/Rain Guards, GM Side steps, Amber DRLs, K&N CAI/FIPK, Dual Electric Fan Conversion...

Region VI - Vancouver, British Columbia

Need4Speed

• Charter Member
    • Half-breed
« Reply #124 on: 08/11/11 04:05 AM »

Most gallons was 28.762 gallons, needle was below the empty mark, sitting on the "E" letter.
Farthest on a tank was 535 miles, indicated I still had about 60 miles until empty. My last tank was 516.0 miles (26.093 gallons), before that was 499.2 miles (27.906 gallons).

MooseAlanche

« Reply #125 on: 08/14/11 11:03 AM »

I havent seen gas below $1.30 per liter (times 3.9 for gallons) for about 6 months now.  you do the math, i dont have the stomach too.
According to my math that is  :o $5.07 a US Gallon  :9:  :9:  :9: and I thought paying $3.70 a gallon was too high  :E:
Pete

BCmountaineer

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
    • CarDomain
« Reply #126 on: 08/18/11 11:34 AM »

According to my math that is  :o $5.07 a US Gallon  :9:  :9:  :9: and I thought paying $3.70 a gallon was too high  :E:

Its ridiculous.  I go down into the U.S. now and then to get shop and always time it for an empty tank.  It seems the further south from the border you go the cheaper the gas.  Lots of other things too, especially milk, eggs and cheese.  Cheese is sometimes 3 times the price here.
2004 Avalanche 1500 Z71 WBH: Factory BOSE Sound System, GM Bug/Rain Guards, GM Side steps, Amber DRLs, K&N CAI/FIPK, Dual Electric Fan Conversion...

Region VI - Vancouver, British Columbia

gayrdnk

• awesome truck
« Reply #127 on: 08/19/11 08:47 AM »

just filled up for the second time, and i was actually amazed. i went longer after my gas light went on, and i still only put in 29 gallons... but i filled up at costcos, and paid 3.23 a gallon, so i got a full tank for under 100.00.  actually 96 bucks.. woo hoo
02 chevy avalanche north face edition, green, green and black interior

erict1234

« Reply #128 on: 08/19/11 12:30 PM »

Pulled into a gulf station today with almost a quarter tank. Paid $3.79/ gal. $90.98 to fill. I'm off to Maine for a week which is 80% highway driving. Looking forward to seeing what kind of mileage I get on the highway and my vacation of course!!!!  :thumbsup: My DIC shows 16 miles/gallon with 70% around town and 30% highway driving.

Bwheeler

« Reply #129 on: 08/23/11 12:04 PM »

I always drive about 40 miles once the fuel light comes on. Then my fill ups are right at 31g. Once even had 31.25g I have the receipt for it still. Over $125.00
2002 Avalanche 1500 4x4
265.75r.16 GoodYear Wrangler DuraTrac's
(305.75r.16 won't fit in stock wheelwell, when you Turn)
Spectre cold air intake

Shanes 02 Avalanche

• Fcaebook
« Reply #130 on: 08/23/11 01:38 PM »

I always drive about 40 miles once the fuel light comes on. Then my fill ups are right at 31g. Once even had 31.25g I have the receipt for it still. Over $125.00
This is not a very smart idea unless you want to change your fuel pump. You see the fuel in the tank is used to keep the fuel pump from overheating.
.....Abr

JVZL1

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #131 on: 09/16/11 02:29 AM »

Try to fill on 1/2 a tank well this one got a way.
Pushing it coming back from a GTG
Well the pump limit saved me and kicked off at $125; 29.768 gls.
« Last Edit: 05/01/12 01:54 PM by JVZL1 »
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray
 03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded

JV

blackm

« Reply #132 on: 12/29/13 04:51 PM »

fill ups are depressing sometimes

Fin_ava

« Reply #133 on: 01/06/14 11:35 AM »

Mine Avalanche doesn't use gasoline at all. Because we have rather expensive gasoline (about 1,62 euros/liter) my car is using gas from earth. I don'n know how you call it? I have two container on my car.

09chevyavy

• Building my first dream AV, someday Ill get more
« Reply #134 on: 01/06/14 11:50 AM »

The most I have filled up was 98.87 Haha I know cuz I had to write it down in my personal gas log I use to tell my dad where I am going and stuff

Price was $98.87, I filled up with 29.1 gallons of fuel

It was so low that when I was too far back to fill and I went to start it back up, I had to try the key three times before it went hahahaha. Price per gallon for regular was at 3.39
Owner and operator of Deep South Performance
2009 AV LT
Check out build here: http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,144942.0.html

Thomcat

• CAFCNA 2013 Supporting Member
« Reply #135 on: 01/06/14 12:08 PM »

Never over 20....plenty of gas stations in the US ........gas cools and lubricates the internal fuel pump,and less chance clogged screen or sucking rust or dirt off the bottom from a gas station pump with a defective or missing filter.
Current Chevys - '16 SilveradoZ71;'13 Malibu LT; '15 Traverse LT2; '15 Camaro LS
Previous Avys - '07 Silver Birch LT, '12 Black LT;'13 Fairway Green LT Z71
Previous  Chevys: '11 Tahoe LT; '11 Malibu LS; '06 Colorado WT; '80 Citation (a FWD POS -turned me off Chevys for 15 years); '75 Impala; 72 Chevelle; '69 Camaro R/T; '65 Impala SS; '62 Nova; '59 Impala; '53 model 210
Other: '80 Cordoba, '84 Crown Vic, '88 Crown Vic, '90 Fleetwood, '96 Taurus, '99 Cirrus, '00 Explorer, '02 300M, '04 300M, '06 T&C miniv

marzahld

« Reply #136 on: 09/03/17 10:28 PM »

If you're going to try to beat this fill, make sure you carry a gas can with you...  I didn't have one, and got really lucky... lol!
I wonder if this is real, or costco needs to recalibrate their flowmeters?

2013 Avalanche LT Z71 Black
Past: 2003 Avalanche Z71  Arrival Blue

Vaeagleav

• The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #137 on: 09/04/17 08:45 AM »

Gee I was hoping this "contest" was going to die out and not attempted for the many reasons mentioned in older posts, such as destroying your fuel pump by letting it overheat with no gas to keep it cool, sucking up gas tank sludge to clog filter or injectors. Then on the other side owners trying to "top off" their tanks to get most in one fill and they overflow the tank and mess up the evaporator vent solenoid/tank or whatever it's called......Oh well to each his own I guess?  :4:
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

marzahld

« Reply #138 on: 09/04/17 09:53 PM »

while i agree in principal the fuel will help cool the fuel pump,  i'm not sure that overheating is what's killing some ppl's fuel pumps.   My factory pump went to 120k or so and was still working when I put a new one in (i changed it cause it started getting slightly louder and it was 10+ years old)...  if I ran my original pump to it's ultimate death, there's no telling how much longer it could have been in service...   I've never filled my tank until the warning light has come on... well... maybe once or twice while on a highway trip with other ppl to save time by filling up at the same stop.  I don't often get a fill exceeding 30 gallons.       

again, not encouraging everyone to run their tanks down and get stranded...  this just kind of happened and was a shocker for me.   I don't actually believe it filled 31.1 gallons anyhow.   I bet it was more like 30 gallons and costco's flowmeter was wrong.   I don't know what the law says on tolerance but I'll bet those flowmeters can't be more than  +- 2-3%

bg_88

« Reply #139 on: 09/15/17 12:23 AM »

Alright.  I know there have been a few topics about the actual size of the gas tank, problems with 2500 owners having to burp the tanks, not getting full fills, etc., but I thought it would be kind of fun to post your biggest fill-up receipts.  I know not everyone has a scanner or digicam, but to be counted you must show proof.  So here's mine from this Christmas travels:

30.554 gallons on a 1500.  Read 'em and weep. :)

If you can read my chicken-scratch at the bottom, that 431.2 is the mileage before filling up, so not great mileage at 14.1mpg.  But we drove a chunk of that in a 20-40mph headwind and used 4WD in some snow.  In this kind of weather, I don't care what the mileage is; I just want to get there!

So post yours, and provide unadulterated "evidence".  The only edit I did was to block out the last four digits of my card number.

Just a cool game I thought as I watched the gallons tick on past 28 (my usual gulp).

Brendan

I filled my silverado 04 with 36 gallons it cost me 100$  rare model with the long bed option and jumbo tank 36 gallon with the 4.8L engine  sold that truck lost a bit of money :( on it

AirJunky

• Live hard, die young, leave a good lookin corpse!
    • AirJunky.com - go big or go home!
« Reply #140 on: 09/15/17 07:38 AM »

I bet it was more like 30 gallons and costco's flowmeter was wrong.   I don't know what the law says on tolerance but I'll bet those flowmeters can't be more than  +- 2-3%

Because their actually selling by the gallon, federal law says the error out of 1 gallon is allowed by law to be up to 0.003 gallons. And their supposed to be checked & calibrated yearly.
-
Bill
2005 Avalanche, 4x4, Z-71 1500, 5.3 liter, 4.10 rear, upgraded 4L60E.
Mods: Heated cloth seats, Pioneer stereo, 2 Kicker subwoofers, MB Quart speakers, tinted front windows, removed Z71 decals, Flowmaster 50, All4On, Amber DRLs, CAI, Maglite, wrapped steering wheel, Indoor/outdoor carpeted the bed & midgate.
My Av Gallery

marzahld

« Reply #141 on: 09/19/17 11:59 AM »

Because their actually selling by the gallon, federal law says the error out of 1 gallon is allowed by law to be up to 0.003 gallons. And their supposed to be checked & calibrated yearly.

0.3% wow... that's pretty accurate. :o   I'm not sure they can do that with the equipment they have...   That would mean after you stop the pump, you can't have more than 1/3 of an ounce difference on a gallon.   you might need smaller fill hoses to get that kind of accuracy.  Maybe that's a goal and not a law.. hmmm..

2004Slickside

« Reply #142 on: 09/20/17 05:47 AM »

Gee I was hoping this "contest" was going to die out and not attempted for the many reasons mentioned in older posts, such as destroying your fuel pump by letting it overheat with no gas to keep it cool, sucking up gas tank sludge to clog filter or injectors. Then on the other side owners trying to "top off" their tanks to get most in one fill and they overflow the tank and mess up the evaporator vent solenoid/tank or whatever it's called......Oh well to each his own I guess?  :4:
AMEN!!
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

XTheBEAST42

• I'm diggin my Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #143 on: 02/06/18 05:29 AM »

25 GALLONS $70  IF I WAS ON E IT PROBABLY WOULD TAKEN ANOTEHR $10-$13   
2002 Z-71 Pewter Metallic, Remote control starter, Tinted windows, K&N air filter

SwaintaN

• Ride it like you stole it.
    • My Company!
« Reply #144 on: 03/19/18 08:34 AM »

The day we bought it, he literally didn't have gas in it.. Test drove it, then paid the scam artist, drove right over to gas station put in a little over 30 gallons (30.xx) of reg unleaded at 2.89 a gallon.

if we were talking biggest fill up.. ha, i own an excursion with a 45 gallon tank, and weve drained her to E and had to fill it up while gas was 4.xx a gallon... that hurt
Doing it 1 part at a time.

I will revive her body and soul to better then it was!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 23 queries.