Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/01/14 05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Tow a Trailer with the Tailgate Down?  (Read 3506 times)
pokee

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« on: 08/15/05 08:47 AM »

Hi,

One of the things I'd like to do with the AV if I buy it is haul a dirtbike (or two) with the tailgate down (and midgate up so kids can sit in the back seat) and also tow a travel trailer.  I've read some posts that have concerned me that the tailgate being down would get in the way of the tow hitch.

Can anyone tell me if the above is possible and how much clearance there would be between the tailgate and the hitch?

Thanks!
Paula
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/05 08:48 AM »

Depends on trailer..... and hitch insert for ball.....

this would be true for any tow vehicle....

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
pokee

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 08/15/05 08:58 AM »

Depends on trailer..... and hitch insert for ball.....

this would be true for any tow vehicle....

Okay - more specifically, if we were to tow a 24' travel trailer that had a hitch height of 22 - 24" and a ball size of 2 5/16" - could we have the tailgate down?

It seems to me, since a hitch for heavy trailers is mounted to the frame this is quite low and shouldn't restrict the tailgate at all.  But of course, what the heck do I know - that's why I am asking!!! Huh

Has anyone had any problems lowering their tailgate while pulling a larger trailer with a fairly high hitch height?

Thanks again!
Paula
ShapeShifter
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

What a great trip it's been...

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 08/15/05 09:08 AM »

My only experience is with the trailer in my signature. The tongue jack is just high enough that it almost hits the tailgate handle bezel when the tailgate is down and in a resting position. If you push down the tailgate, there is enough flex that it hits the bezel. I already have a little ding on the bezel from it, if I were to drive with the gate down, I'm sure it would bounce enough to really do a number on it.

The tailgate is really easy to remove. Is that an option?

-- SS

ImanX

03 Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 08/15/05 09:10 AM »

I can't put the tailgate on my TT all the way down when hooked up.  The trailer tongue jack gets in the way as it sits in the inside of the front of the a-frame part of the trailer. 

This will be true for pretty much any of the larger TTs since only popups have those tongue jacks that you can swivel side ways.

Otherwise, I could probably put it down all the way.

03 Av 1500
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 08/15/05 09:39 AM »

I can't put the tailgate on my TT all the way down when hooked up.  The trailer tongue jack gets in the way as it sits in the inside of the front of the a-frame part of the trailer. 

This will be true for pretty much any of the larger TTs since only popups have those tongue jacks that you can swivel side ways.

Otherwise, I could probably put it down all the way.

Same here.......our tailgates are a bit taller than most and with the Gas tanks and the jack up there on the tongue of the trailer my tailgate would not drop all the way down while hooked up. I suspect even if it will drop down with your trailer hooked up you could not leave it down because it would hit the tailgate while turning corners.

Butch

Murman

My name is Buford, I am a Vizsla, I live in NORCAL

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: 08/15/05 10:30 AM »

I cannot tow my camper with the tailgate down.

I can tow my boat with the tailgate down.

Murman Cool

03 4X4-LPM-Charcoal Int-BOSE-G80-MODS:285/75/16 BFG AT/KOK&N-Magnaflow-TOC-SilverStar-H2 levers-2500 Gauges-XM via HU-Maglight-Fire Ext-V1-CSA Bowtie-Brushed Grille
DougD
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

So, didja?

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 08/15/05 10:33 AM »

It's reallt dependent on the trailer and the equipment on it.  If it's set up with a long tongue with no really tall items up front, it would work fine.  If it has a short tongue, it could just as easily smack the tailgate on turns.

You're going to have to hook it all up and experiment for yourself.

2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).
msheldon

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 08/15/05 12:54 PM »

Biggest issue is when you turn corners. If your tongue jack doesn't hit, things like propane tanks, etc might.

There are extenders sold for pickups that have slide-in campers. Think of it as a very long hitch shank. Supposedly these work, but they will definitely require that you have a good weight-distribution setup.

2003 2500 2WD, 4.10, SnugTop XUV Cap, Jordan Ultima brake controller, Full-time Amber DRLs, All four on high, Equal-i-zer Hitch, RVCams video rear-view system, Pacer Hi-Five running lights, greyhound hood ornament, Putnam XDR Class V hitch receiver, Timbren SES Helper Springs, in-bed side-pocket hatches, Mag-Hytec differential cover.
2005 Skyline Rampage 257 Toy Hauler, dual 6v batteries, solar charger.
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 08/15/05 12:57 PM »

Thunk of something...

With 2 motor cycles, 4 passengers, gear etc etc....

PLUS you wanna tow a travel trailer?

ya might want to check your weight numbers...as you could exceed the gross vehicle tow numbers pretty easily as well as the truck cargo weight

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
4rvfun
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

02 Avalanche 2500 4X2

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 08/16/05 06:24 AM »

Same here.......our tailgates are a bit taller than most and with the Gas tanks and the jack up there on the tongue of the trailer my tailgate would not drop all the way down while hooked up. I suspect even if it will drop down with your trailer hooked up you could not leave it down because it would hit the tailgate while turning corners.

Butch

Ditto, I would think a 24' toy hauler trailer might be more in order Huh

02, 2500, Avy, white, 4X2 (bought 6/02, traded-in 2/08)
08, 2500, Silverado, white, 6.0, LT2, Z71 4X4
msheldon

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 08/16/05 05:29 PM »

Ditto, I would think a 24' toy hauler trailer might be more in order Huh

Depends on if he has a 2500 or not. Most toyhaulers, except for the smallest featherweights, are too heavy for a 1500.

2003 2500 2WD, 4.10, SnugTop XUV Cap, Jordan Ultima brake controller, Full-time Amber DRLs, All four on high, Equal-i-zer Hitch, RVCams video rear-view system, Pacer Hi-Five running lights, greyhound hood ornament, Putnam XDR Class V hitch receiver, Timbren SES Helper Springs, in-bed side-pocket hatches, Mag-Hytec differential cover.
2005 Skyline Rampage 257 Toy Hauler, dual 6v batteries, solar charger.
TigerRP

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 09/20/05 08:30 PM »

Pokee:

I wondered if you resolved this issue.  I justpurchased a new 05 Av and I checked the setup before I bought it. 

I will be hauling a Honda Rancher with the gate down or two Honda Dirt bikes.

My WDH sits well below the gate and the jack on my Rockwood Roo is back far enough that it doesn't appear the gate will hit except for a jack knife.  Anyway. I think I can change the jack and resolve the issue - if it is an at all.

Anyway let me know your thoughts.
omahajim

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 09/20/05 11:34 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the above is possible and how much clearance there would be between the tailgate and the hitch?

Well, for one member at least, it didn't go so well.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,52867.0.html

2005 1500 Z71 Bermuda Blue WBH, running E85 when able.
LOF in now, sail panel LEDs going in "Real Soon Now".
Hey Lee Iacocca: I found a better car, and bought it: my AVALANCHE!
Alaska_AV.
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: 09/21/05 12:30 AM »

Hay!!!!!!

LOL.........

Well, for one member at least, it didn't go so well.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,52867.0.html

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
TigerRP

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 09/21/05 04:34 AM »

Well:

I'm worried about the same thing, but in the test last night I had to be almost jackknifed for the tailgate to hit the jack.  But, I still may look into a different jack.

Bet you felt bad. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: