• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Engine Make A Blub Blub Blub Sound When Cold.

T

timmyd

I have had my 2002 Avalanche just one month with only about 700 miles on it. I notice that in the morning or after the vehicle has been sitting for a long time it makes a blub blub blub sound after starting. This eventually goes away after the vehicle warms up. Anybody else experienced this and have any ideas as to what is causing it?

Back in my day we paid big bucks to make our engines sound that way. Usually by installing a 3/4 or full race cam. ;D

Seriously, I live in Houston so even when the engine is cold it is still at 100 degrees or so. Purrs like a kitten when started.

timmyd said:
I have had my 2002 Avalanche just one month with only about 700 miles on it. ?I notice that in the morning or after the vehicle has been sitting for a long time it makes a blub blub blub sound after starting. ?This eventually goes away after the vehicle warms up. ?Anybody else experienced this and have any ideas as to what is causing it?

Mine does too, the sound is from the exhaust right?

The way I see it that sound is better than the tap tap from the engine that will soon replace it.

-Mark

Never heard this sound before....I will pay attention now though....

Sounds almost like an air compressor? I hear that on mine anytime it's running and the hood is open. Still runs stout so I haven't worried about it I guess.

Jamie

My 8.1L engine sounds like a Duramax diesel in the morning when I first start it. Nothing like a little piston slap to get your day off to a good start.
Durwin

No weird noises here . . . this is the quickest, smoothest starting fuel injected engine that I've ever owned!

If I think back to the days of carburators, a well tuned warm engine would start with a mere flick of the starter. No holding the key to be sure it was running, just flick it and go. Then came fuel injection - early ones always seemed to take a bit of cranking - I presumed for the computer to figure out what conditions were before turning on the injectors. But with the Av, it's almost back to the quick starts that I remember from some years ago!

SOUNDS LIKE ITS CAMMING COOL. IT DID COST A LOT BACK IN THE DAY TO MAKE THAT SOUND.

My AV and '01 Tahoe both sound like that on occasion and I love it. :love: There aren't too many V-8s out there anymore. Most are trucks and luxury cars. The V8 rumble is as unique as the Harley sound. There just ain't no substitute for cylinders! >:D Enjoy it...we're paying for it at the gas pump! :C:

Truckman :B:

Back