• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Second Guessing My Avalanche Purchase

J

j166a99

hey peter,

dont get discouraged on your purchase. i know just a while back i was in the movement of the pinging/knocking GM vortec engines, but that is all put aside. you could contact your BBB and write GM a letter and seek lemon law routes, but it really looks like you just got stuck with the bad one of the group :(

from your post, i can tell how frustrated you might be, but if you notice, alot of people are also stuck in a rut with the rust from factory racks. if you were having other issues that others arent running into, then i would start second guessing the purchase, but in the end, its how you feel, and what you want to do with the situation ???

if you want some advise, i would run with it and see what you feel. if you arent happy paying monthlys just to have you truck still at the dealer, then you might want to take action. but then again, after all this is done, you may never have to see them again for a while. do what make's you happy and what'll keep you happy :)

:mad:Peter,

I'd be really pist off too. ?Sounds like you are a great case for calling the Customer Assistance Center (back of your owner's manual). ?Outline all your problems before hand, calll them with every single one and tell them your upset as hel. ?

They can also tell you if your roof racks were DEALER INSTALLED in which case you have a really case to be irate with the dealer. ?

My experience with the CAC is that for every problem I had with my '97 Silverado, they had heard the same issue from at least 100 other customers. ?They even had the correct fixes for a wheel balance problem I was having, they called the dealer direct with the fix and followed up with me (at my request) to make sure the dealer fixed the issue (after the 4th return visit). ?

After those problems were fixed, I was very pleased with my CK until I traded it in for my Av. ?I can't say enough good things about my truck, but I know when you're the one with the truck that isn't as good as it should be, you gotta get some *&^&* service.

Good Luck

I know how you feel. My 99 Silverado was one of the first to come out so I had it at the dealer tons of times. I finally got everything fixed, but I traded for the AV anyway. I had to get new leaf springs, a new steering shaft assembly, a new throttle body, a new filler neck assembly (fuel tank), Different fluid (thicker) for the front and rear differentials due to clunking noises, the back windows replaced three times. Both driver and passenger window motors replaced (They both broke), a new back handle assembly for the third door and latches, and different lube for the slip yoke on the drive shaft since it was making a groaning noise on stops when it slip back and forth.

Believe me I was very Peeved and aggravated. I did have luck by finally going to a different dealer who was on top of everything and who fixed everything the first time I brought it in. This is not including the dash noises that I ended up fixing myself. My Silverado wasn't as much as my AV, but it had a $33,000 sticker price so I expected it to be right. ??? :-[ :rolleyes:

The ding in the tail pipe is normal. My dads S-10 has been doing it for 10 yrs (over 100K miles). My silverado has done it since new (going on 2 yrs)

My AV doesn't ding nor did my 99 Silverado. My 89 Firebird did tick a little (heat shields) when I parked it, but it didn't have much ground clearance. I'll let you know if anything changes on mine. I have just a little over 1200 miles on mine so it may be too soon to tell.

Peter,

I'm sorry to here the problems your having with your Av....it seems like it isn't not up to par by a longshot....I would definitely keep on top of these issues....If in the end you decide to get rid of it I don't think anyone can blame ya....good luck :cautious:

I am in the opposite camp...My manufacture date was 08/01, and I haven't had ANY of the problems on this board (that's me knocking on wood). If it were my Av that had all of those problems, I would be asking for a new Av, period. No loaner, no waiting until it's fixed, just a new Av.

By the way, I have 8500 miles and I bought it in November '01 with 64 miles on it. :D

Got my Avalanche back today

1. Midgate fixed per TSB. Luggage rack inspected - not cause of leak.

2. Heated mirror on order

3. Wiper locking nut replaced

4. Rust under weather stripping removed

5. Dinging muffler - Considered Normal

I have to admit that it took 1 day to get fixed and that was impressive. The jury is still out on the leak. Will have to wait until next rain.

The cladding problems isn't that noticeable and am getting used to it. Where the cladding meets the front wheel wells, the cladding "wings out" 1/8 inch or so. It's not fluch with the fender above. And it's only at the tip of the cladding. I am not 100% sure that it was caused by pulling by the tow hooks.

I want to apologise to all of you. I was very pissed when I wrote my orginal post.

;)Don't sweat it Peter.
I can't blame you at all. I know I would feel the same way. No one likes forking out a considerable amount of money to have to deal with problems that should not be there to begin with. I hope it is all taken care of so you can enjoy the vehicle as much as we do.

Peter_OConnor said:
Got my Avalanche back today

1. Midgate fixed per TSB. Luggage rack inspected - not cause of leak.

2. Heated mirror on order

3. Wiper locking nut replaced

4. Rust under weather stripping removed

5. Dinging muffler - Considered Normal

I have to admit that it took 1 day to get fixed and that was impressive. ?The jury is still out on the leak. Will have to wait until next rain.

The cladding problems isn't that noticeable and am getting used to it. Where the cladding meets the front wheel wells, the cladding "wings out" 1/8 inch or so. It's not fluch with the fender above. And it's only at the tip of the cladding. ?I am not 100% sure that it was caused by pulling by the tow hooks.

I want to apologise to all of you. ?I was very pissed when I wrote my orginal post.

Kudos to your dealer for jumping through hoops! No problem - we all get mad. Heck I got mad at my Pontiac Montana when the windshield wipers stopped working and bought an Avalanche - but that's another story..

;D

If it's any help. I don't think your cladding is out of whack. Mine is also not flush with the fender. Can anyone else confirm this? I noticed it early before any known incidents that would put it out of whack. Upon closer inspection I just determined that it was that way by design. Both sides are equal and there is no play in the cladding. It seems solid and I just assumed that it was designed that way...

My cladding also "flares out" right in front of the front tire about 1/8". It's caught my eye a few times, but it's the same on both sides. I'm not worried.

Besides, when the Over-The-Wheel cladding pieces come out, they'll integrate into that spot anyway. Never know the difference. ;)

First,

I pulled a car out of a small ditch last week with a tow strap and my front tow hooks

On that let me kindly advise all that you should pull out cars and other SUVs (Ford Explorer STs, for instance) by using a forward gear, I learned the hard way on another vehicle that the tranny she no like pulling heavy loads in reverse - those are recovery hooks up front, for recovering YOUR vehicle. For easy tow strap hook up for good samaritan work, get one of these, they plug right into your receiver hitch and THAT is designed for load:

rth100.jpg

This one is from Premier Motor Accessories, but I bet less expensive ones exist:

http://www.premiermotoring.net/cgi-bin/2/webc.cgi/st_main.html?catid=215

Second, sorry to hear about your Avy experience - having had my share of clunkers and clunker dealers, I can identify with how annoying an unreliable newly purchased vehicle can be. I have an early production Avy with no problems yet (but I look out the passenger side rear view mirror every morning for the blue cloud!) and would be heartbroken if one developed, but even my brother in law the Chevy dealer would advise calling CAC.

yeah, i could tell you were pretty mad when i read it.

BUT YEAH, mine flares out as well?!?!?!?? whats the deal? we need a quick fix!

oh yeah, and great info. by jackalanche!!!

I think the cladding flare is pretty much to be expected. I looked at many AVs on the lots and almost all had the same look. I did notice on some later arrivals it looked better but I think the cladding just not conforming to the shape of the wheel well. I think they may have tried to correct this at some point because newer ones look somewhat better. I am hoping that my AV gets straightened out quick or I am going to ask for a replacement. I don't think it qualifies for a lemon but the clock is ticking as far as I'm concerned. 5 service days out of 14 owner days. Tomorrow is the 3rd try to fix a left pull. New ring and pinion gears, vibration at 70-75...unknown problem. Just waiting for the smoke to fill my garage. If it were used...no big deal...but I paid for a new truck and its been in the shop more than my 130000mi 4.3L c1500 "94 pu. Hopefully this will be the end of it tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. I really love this truck and hope to keep it 150000 miles...give it to one of my boys and see what's out then. Sorry for the sob story but I've got this big hole in my garage where my Avalanche should be. :(

Just got the AV back and all is well...no pulling, whining is gone. Verdict still out on the 75mph vibration. I did notice two 3" balance weights on one wheel...seems excessive...should I ask for a new tire? I love this truck...now I'm just crossing my fingers. BTW the dealer has been great in handling this stuff...no blowoffs or excuses...they just took care of business.

Glad to see that the dealer was responsive,, I have been very happy with my 2500.. The only complaint I have is the fueling issue. Once the replacement tank is available should solve that problem.

Summit White 2500 4X4

Yes...I'm glad that things have smoothed out...this is what I expected when I bought this rig. I love driving the AV and can't wait to get it broken in and really start using it...to date it is more of a trophy than a vehicle.

My cladding also flairs out. When I took delivery of the truck, only one side poked out. After a month, the other side started to pop out. I thought it was just a screw that needed to be tightened. Nope. The dealer has ordered a whole new front bumper facia. :eek: I looked for a simple screw. Yup, none there to tighten. It seems to be one peice.

I've been trying to get my AV repurchased by the manufacturer since Oct. 2001. Finally have an award in hand for more than $35,000 through the CBBB Autoline. Check your owners manual to see if you qualify. Nobody should be treated like I have been throughout this process. !

If you had a clunk in your diffs it means that the ring and pinion wasn't set right and just changing the diff fluid with a heavier grade means that the mechanic at the dealership was a ****NUT, brain-dead...what else?? Or it may have been even the U-joint that were toasted due to lack of lube...wtf...You might as well of had him put sawdust is there to quiet the CLUNK. LOL

Damien ASE Certifed

ps. Don't mean to be 2 harsh...but how much did you spend on that truck? We need better quality control at GM...or we might as well be buying Japanese...God forbid.

Back