• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

'New' Av Owners Not As Friendly??

A.J.

SM 2003
Something I've noticed lately:

19 times out 20, I'll wave, beep, or flash the lights when I see another Avalanche on the road.

The first year I had my truck, I'd say that 7 out of 10 people would respond favorably. I've noticed over the past 6 months or so that that number has decreased. Now, it's more like 3 out of 10 respond. Anyone else notice this trend?

Similarly, a guy moved into my apartment complex with a white '02 Z71 with a couple of mods - but obviously not from this site. I approached him twice to talk about the club and our trucks. The first time I said to him "Nice truck!" after I got out of mine, which I parked about 25 feet away from his. He looked at me like I had four heads, and quietly said "thanks." Whatever, I thought... Maybe he's stressed out from moving or whatever. A couple days later I approached him with the intention of talking to him about the trucks, and he went for the cell phone after he saw me.

:B: :B:

A.J.......Uh, no offense, but if I saw you get out of your truck covered in mud and dragging a LittleTykes playhouse in the bed, I'd go for my phone as well..... >:D

j/k

Jake

Quote by: A.J.

The first year I had my truck, I'd say that 7 out of 10 people would respond favorably. I've noticed over the past 6 months or so that that number has decreased. Now, it's more like 3 out of 10 respond. Anyone else notice this trend?

Definetly, a friend of mine (Black 01' AV owner) has totally given up trying to be nice to other AV owners. Beacuse of the same reactions, he thinks "Newer owners seem to be stuck-up".

I don't agree with that but still have no explanation as to why.

ditch
:B:

I've seen it also. Twice now I've waited at a red light right next to a nice lifted AV - SAME color as mine, but with painted cladding. Looks like a kid driving it, but he won't even look over at me. I mean how many lifted pewter AV's do you see everyday on the way to work???

It's weird...

Hey, I consider myself a "new" AV owner and never would respond like you had four heads. (Two heads maybee, but not four). ;)

Anyway, I had a similar experience. I was at Frys (a local electronics store) and noticed an 02 Z71 in the parking lot. I went back to my truck to grab a flyer and by the time I got back to the Z71 I spotted, the owner was actually there. So I handed him a flyer and told him about the club. He didn't seem the least bit interested and acted like I was annoying him.

One of these days, I'll actually get someone to this club. Out of at least 15 flyers (some with personal meets), zero (that I know of) have joined the club. Hope this changes.

-Ed

I've waved at a few Av owners in St. Louis and they have waved back. One thing that we need to remember is that some people buy a vehicle because they like it but don't necessarily want to be a "fanboy" of that vehicle. A lot of people at my work think I'm crazy for visiting this site daily.

So, wave. If they wave back, GREAT, if not, then leave them be. I know I'll continue to wave.

Craig

A.J. said:
I've noticed over the past 6 months or so that that number has decreased. ?Now, it's more like 3 out of 10 respond. ?Anyone else notice this trend?

A.J.,

Your trend seems to be in better shape than mine. I'm getting about 0 out of 10 at this point. Maybe it's time I change my deoderant or something. ;)

The only thing I can possibly imagine is that Avs were ultra-unique when they first came out. Now they are more commonplace in many areas and I guess some people aren't relating the same to that initial uniqueness. . . . . but who really knows why. Okay, I'm off to get that new speed stick. ;) :rolleyes: :p

teksavy said:
Hey, I consider myself a "new" AV owner and never would respond like you had four heads. (Two heads maybee, but not four). ;)

Anyway, I had a similar experience. I was at Frys (a local electronics store) and noticed an 02 Z71 in the parking lot. I went back to my truck to grab a flyer and by the time I got back to the Z71 I spotted, the owner was actually there. So I handed him a flyer and told him about the club. He didn't seem the least bit interested and acted like I was annoying him.

One of these days, I'll actually get someone to this club. Out of at least 15 flyers (some with personal meets), zero (that I know of) have joined the club. Hope this changes.

-Ed

I know how you feel, I'm sure we have tagged a few of the same trucks. I got about a "1 responce to every 20 hand outs" record going... tuff job ya know?

~BIGRED

imaniguana said:
The only thing I can possibly imagine is that Avs were ultra-unique when they first came out. ?Now they are more commonplace in many areas and I guess some people aren't relating the same to that initial uniqueness. . . . .

I think you hit it on the head. When I got my AV in Sept of 2001, there were not a lot of AVs out there. It used to get a lot of looks and comments. :eek:

When you saw another AV, you stopped in the middle of the road and talked. :D Think we 02er?s experienced something different with our AVs as it was the first years of a very different vehicle. We only have one 03 AV that I can think of that attends our Houston GTGs. :6:

I just think most people in general, suck. I mean 10-15 years ago if you let someone get in front of you at a light or something, you would get a little wave of thanks or they would mouth the words "thank you". Nowadays 9 out of 10 go when you wave them in but they dont even look at you. Rude :8:

I have to say I was suprised after I bought my 03 AV that there wasn't that comrodory...I drove a 97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, lifted, etc...and 7 out of 10 Jeeps I passed would wave...It's a Jeep Thing...

I was suprised with the AV being pretty different (which is how the Jeep Wave started) that there was not a wave or something in place...

Most people consider their vehicle an appliance...I talk to my assistants at work, who drive nice vehicles (03 Trailblazer, 02 Dodge Ram Quad Cab), and they can't comprehend why I go onto an Avalanche Forum...I talk about the meet and greets and how I want to go, and they just ask my WHY??? They just don't get it...

Let's face it guys... There are two types of AV owners...

1. The AV is just a mode of transportation... A way to get from point A to point B.

2. Owners like us! ;D

I have not run into anyone who waves up here with my Av. Being a past motorcycle and Corvette owner, I understand the wave concept. Unfortunately I believe alot of people do not. They probably think "what does that person want, they must think they know me. Maybe if I ignore them they will go away". I think that combined with the fact that people just get more rude, selfish, and self absorbed as the years go by. Oh well.....I will definitely wave if I think you belong to the club, or if I do not think you will shoot me for doing so.....

Friends.............I feel your pain!
My wife laughs at me everytime I wave at another Avalanche, cause they almost never wave back. Most of the time they never even look my way. :-[
I think those of us who are fortunate enough to be in this family, ;D, are constantly looking for amber DRL's. Those who don't know about this club have nothing to do but drive and talk to thier spouses on the cell phones about what they need to pick up from the store for dinner.
We are a unique bunch of people driving a unique truck. Some people, like was stated before, just buy and drive as a means of transportation.
I have a friend of mine I work with that has visited the club, but refuses to join :cautious:, I don't understand! What gives? He often askes me about recent mods I have done. He now wants to paint the lettering on the cladding, He sais that mine looks good! Go figure!
I guess some people just are not the "Club" type.

Does one finger count as a wave or are we El Numero Uno...!!!

;) ;) ;) ;D

Now with some seriousness... People are busy, preoccupied and not too aware of their surroundings.

I'm always on the hunt for AV's 'cause I luv em...

We @ CAFCNA can be excited... they just haven't caught on yet...

and from my experience.... SOME NEVER WILL!

I know the feeling I wave at every AV that I see some people wave, some look at me like who is that, and one guy fliped me the finger

I believe all of us AV owners are relatively new so to speak - and with over 7100 members - I believe most of these would wave - I wave to everyone I see and attempt to tag each one as well - much to the embarrissment of my wife ?;) I have met with many warm responces as well as a couple odd looks - but it wont deter me ?;) Hope to see everyone at the Nationals - at which I will be waving my arm off!!!! ;) :) :D ;D

I don't want to be mean to you guys, but I'm not the type of guy that would respond either. Most of the time I just listen to my music and pay attention to the road. I have a bad habbit of playing my music really load. I'm also the kind of guy that if someone walks up to me I'm kind of quiet and just play it a little soft. But that is just me. If I don't know you to well I'm really quiet. The reason I pay such hard attention to the road is that I'm trying to dodge all of those crazy drivers out there.

SoCalCindy said:
Let's face it guys... There are two types of AV owners...

1. The AV is just a mode of transportation... A way to get from point A to point B.
2. Owners like us! ;D
I think there are middle-of-the-roaders too Cindy. Like me. I like my Av a lot and it's definitely more than just transportation, but I'm not a fanatic. Although my Wife might argue that point.

A.J.
Its their loss if they can't have a little fun in life. An example... My wife and I and another couple were leaving a Cher concert the other night. The usual parking lot jam up... A guy in an Explorer tried to force his way out of a parking spot. I was already too far to let him out... he kept inching closer to the side of my Av, then flipped me off. Now I know the type of guy who goes off the deep end and you read about it in the paper the next day.
Anyway, don't change what you're doing just because of somebody may be having a bad life.

I'm not outgoing enough to initiate a wave, but I'd respond with one if someone in another AV waved to me. I have looked for waves, but have yet to see someone waving to me from their AV. Maybe part of it is that there is a lower percentage of "wavers" in the AV owner pool now, and people are surprised when someone does give them a wave.

It's funny that this topic was brought up today. I was driving home yesterday and a Dark Gray Avalanche (just like mine) beeped at me coming the other direction. I was like 'huh?' Why did that guy just beep. I have heard stories about PT Cruiser owners beeping and waving to one another. I guess the Av owners do it too. Although, I've had mine since November and that's the first encounter I've had. I don't think there is anything wrong with it I was just taken back a little by it. Next time I'll wave too. (y)

I tend to beleive that most drivers are "off in another world" while driving. I don't mean out of shear joy from driving an AV. Drivers in general seem to motor around on cruise control. They are anywhere but thinking about what's around them.

I don't mind if they don't wave back. I still smile and wave.

Back