Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR AVALANCHE?  (Read 12902 times)

shafman1

ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR AVALANCHE?
« on: 04/03/02 04:58 AM »

I am trying to compile a general  poll on who has had what problem and what the build date is.  If you have had any of the above problems please let us know and please let us know your build date.  Also, if your problem has been resolved and it has a TSB number, please list the number and the fix.  If you really feel want to be helpful, please list the miles you had on your Avalanche when the problem occurred.  If you haven't had any problems please list your build date and how many miles.  If you have a problem due to an accessorie please list it as so.  Thank you!  I hope this will help us compile a decent problems and answers list for our beloved Avalanches.   ;)

P.S.  I haven't had any problems yet.  I only had 1500 miles on my AV.  My build date is October 30, 2001.
I have installed the ROSS backup system and will soon be installing the Cadillac Escalade instrument cluster.
« Last Edit: 04/03/02 05:03 AM by shafman1 »

jamie

• Charter Member
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #1 on: 04/03/02 04:59 AM »

Other than the window tape due to deflector installation (which I don't count as a problem) not a problem. Build date of 01/02.

Jamie

Ahhnuld

• Charter Member
  • All it takes is an Engineer!
    • The SaberWorks
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/02 05:11 AM »

I have the seam issue and also have a problem with the midgate leaking now. The TSB for the Seam has been followed, but after 3 times, it still leaks in one well.
Date of 10/01 on the door.
« Last Edit: 04/03/02 06:07 AM by Ahhnuld »

Guest User

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/02 05:29 AM »

What about the rear window frame cracking??? I hear that's been a problem....mine did and they have ordered a new one.
:-[

Shawn A

• Charter Member
  • Red Z-71 - Loaded
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/02 05:30 AM »

I have no problems with mine.  It has a BD of 12/01, and it now has 3500 miles on it.

Mods: hood def, mud flaps, billet grill, R&D light equip, vent/visors, CatchAll mats, UPD, TBS, 899 fogs, Amber DRLs, silver stars, and strng whl audio cntrls.

shafman1

« Reply #5 on: 04/03/02 05:32 AM »

What about the rear window frame cracking??? I hear that's been a problem....mine did and they have ordered a new one.
:-[

Check back window or other.  Thanks for the question.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #6 on: 04/03/02 05:34 AM »

No problems here!

Condensation in lights but Shaf just posted about the TSB.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

wrchism

• Charter Member
  • Chevrolet Avalanche
« Reply #7 on: 04/03/02 05:42 AM »

No problems - built 11/01, 4200 miles (but I plan to check again for water and window cracks this weekend)
2003 Anniversary Edition Corvette - 2002 Z71 Avalanche
Thanks Chevy for two outstanding Vehicles!

kps

• Charter Member
  • 2002 Blue -- no, wait, now it's a 05 Sport Red!
« Reply #8 on: 04/03/02 06:04 AM »

Build date of 01/02, 4200 miles since mid-February.  Aside from the zipper pull on my jacket getting stuck in the seatbelt buckle, preventing it from unlocking, absolutlely no problems.

Had it in to the dealer for it's first oil change, couldn't find anything to complain about.  

-kps.   :D
Just because I drive a truck, that does not mean I will help you move!

chazmo2

• Charter Member
  • AV MAN!!!
« Reply #9 on: 04/03/02 06:26 AM »

:-\Production date 08/01 1.Shimmy in steering wheel 65-75mph
solution: dealer dropped driveshaft & turned 180 degrees
2. Occassional blue smoke at startup. solution: dealer changed pvc valve.
3. Av 3/4" lower on driver's side. solution: Dealer adjusted torsion
screw.
4. Firestone tires feathered after only 6500 miles. solution: dealer replaced all four tires under bumper to bumper warranty.
5. Low harmonic sound coming from front end at 35-45mph in 2WD
& louder in auto4WD. I suspect it is the ring & pinion gears in the front differential. solution: none! dealer does not hear the sound
or hears it but pretends not to >:(

RDSIGN

• Charter Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche!
« Reply #10 on: 04/03/02 11:54 PM »

:) :)
6000 kms working and performing great, going in tomorrow for minor concern. The radio is getting replaced do to the fact it looses time periodicly.
Had the tailgate latch adjusted would not lock properly.
shes been great
2002 1500 Avalanche
Victory Red
Graphite Leather, Heated Rear Seats,
Home built Bedslide
http://community.webshots.com/user/rdsign

Big_Don

« Reply #11 on: 04/04/02 12:13 AM »

8000 miles and no problems.  I returned to the dealer for a free oil-change and had them glue a 4" piece of trim on the roof that had come loose.  Absolutely the most problem-free vehicle I have ever bought.  This compares to my '95 Yukon (which I now love, but had many original problems) needing a new front axle, carpet replaced due to massive water leak, power brake booster replaced, antenna wiring replaced, complete new engine, all under warranty.  Apparently GM has come a long way in the last 7 years!

aVOLanche

• Charter Member
  • Everything else is road-kill
« Reply #12 on: 04/04/02 12:15 AM »

Born on 9/01.Have about 5,800 miles.

I thought I had a leaky midgate,but that problem may be solved.I found that it would not shut fully unless the glass was removed first.A klutzy work-around,but that's OK.

I have had 2 episodes of smoke on startup,but no oil consumption.BUT,I have not made any trips longer than about 30-40 miles.Dealer has not seen it yet.

The surround on the rear glass is cracked and will need to get a new window.I'm waiting til the 7,500 service.If these are all the problems I have,I'll be satisfied.Overall,it is a great vehicle! ;D ;D ;D
Pewter 1500  Z-71    
convenience pkg.
running boards,graphite leather
seat warmers,moulded mudflaps
Fumoto valve,Zaino
Amber DRLs
Poron talking backup sensor

shafman1

« Reply #13 on: 04/04/02 04:37 AM »

Of course this isn't a Presidential Election, but according to the "Polls" so far there are quite a few people who haven't had any problems.  I hope more people participate.   This seems to be helping other people who might have had the same problem.  Also, it also shows how the Avalanche stands as a whole when everyone participates.   :D

Hernz Av

• Charter Member
  • Hammer down in the fast lane !!
« Reply #14 on: 04/04/02 09:33 AM »

Ok here are my problems.
Build on 9/01

1. Midgate leaks- dealer has ordered part and just got a letter that they have arrived. Will drop off Monday
2. Rear window cracked-same as above
3. Hard panels 1&2 leak-they say they fixed the leaky panels, but after looking close today they just put some black sealent on the edge of panels 1&2. After looking closely they missed a spot and panels still leak
4. Seeing rust under the rubber mat (New one)-just found this new problem today after cleaning the rear rubber mat. Will take to the dealer on Monday see what they will do to fix this.

I really love my Av but if they don't fix all of my problems I may be looking for a HD CC truck. I really like the whole concept but if I am having problems now I can imagine what it will be like in 3-5 years down the road :(

George
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue
1500 2WD
Built 9/01 Bought 10/01
Back in TX (DFW)
66 Chevelle SS 396

mha

« Reply #15 on: 04/04/02 01:01 PM »

AV#1: NO problems.

Aegis

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: 04/04/02 01:46 PM »

My Av born 9/01  (25000 4X4 no problems at all. no leaks that I can find, very happy with the vehicle. Only concern is the difficulty fueling, I see that as a minor annoyance. Once your used to it it's easy to deal with.  There is a TSB to correct.
Summit White 2500 4X4  Flowmaster 40  K&N
Xenon Blue 9005 9006 Headlights
XM Satellite radio, Flag Bowtie,UPD FIPK, (2) 7 inch dvd screens. Superchip , Pioneer GPS navigation system.  Torrance,Calif.

ecoklr

« Reply #17 on: 04/04/02 04:08 PM »

Oil gague was broke, fully tacked out, just got it fixed.  Miles 2780

Chasman

• Charter Member
  • Grand Canyon 2006
« Reply #18 on: 04/08/02 11:39 AM »

I placed one vote in the others category, namely a flapping sound coming from the front hood hinge covers (little rubber flaps) at speeds in excess of 120 km per hour.  The dealer told me this is typical where a bug deflector is installed on all Chevy trucks!  
2008 1500 LS Blue Granite
2005 1500 Z71 Silver Birch Metallic
2002 1500 Z71 Onyx Black

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
« Reply #19 on: 04/08/02 11:57 PM »

Problems:  Zippo, Zilch, Zero

and hope to keep it that way.....

1500 miles and counting
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

Transformer

« Reply #20 on: 04/09/02 09:57 PM »

Z-66
Built:  9/1/01
Took Delivery:  10/16/01
Miles: 13,167
Problems:  Rear Main Seal Replaced  4/9/02
                 Some leaking in the bed area - 3 new hard covers have
                 Been ordered

Thats' it...    8)   :D   :)

coolbeans

• Charter Member
  • The Avalanche takes no prisoners
« Reply #21 on: 04/10/02 02:31 AM »

BD 11/1
1.Rear diff has light howl, dealer will fix
2.Occasional creak from right side of rear window,   dealer will also fix.
3.Long pause in transmission when shifting from drive to reverse, dealer will fix.
4.Dealer is also going to adjust trans to have more positive shifts.

These fixes will help my towing problem greatly.
No smoke, rattles, leaks, rust(I have the roof rack), everything else is perfect!  :D
02 indigo blue, z-71, graphite,GM bug shield,amber drl's, roof rack,only one in town

Butch

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: 04/11/02 04:41 PM »

Front Differential Failed at 1800 miles...,, Dealer found Case Cracked, Bearings, and Gears Shot.., Replaced under Warranty, in one day.., new one fine so far.., but Im listening to it closely still, and will change the Gear Lube at 3000 miles to check how things look.....
Black 02- Z/71, 5.3.., 4.10 gears Loaded... Mods to date..., Tail Lite Black Outs, Cranked Torsion Bars, Weld Stone Crusher Wheels, B.F.G. 33.5 A/Ts, Eibach Pro springs, Boxed Tubular lower control arms, Hotchkiss sway bars,  Volant Cold Air Induction, JBA Headers, Borla Exhaust, Electric Fans, Yank Converter, Modified Trans, Whipple Supercharger...custom injectors and tuning, 50 shot Nx Nitrous, Cyrogenics air and fuel chilling, Water/Alky Injection system, Custom Stage Two heads, SLP 1.85 rockers....

jbl

« Reply #23 on: 04/11/02 04:50 PM »

I bought a z71 that had 5001 miles on it, it was a demo.  The first night I owned it my wife rolled the rear window down, but when she went to roll it back up it was real slow.  
I took it back to the dealer the next day and had them look at it.  They said that it had the same motor for the windows that the tahao has and that there had been some problems with them.  They had a motor in stock and replaced it in about 20 min.  I watched the whole thing to make sure everything was ok.  works fine now. :)

teking

• Charter Member
    • Tom & Lisa King
« Reply #24 on: 04/12/02 12:31 AM »

Only have 700+ miles but so far the only problem has been the rust colored spoting on the roof and under the door seals.  The dealer said it was fallout not rust.  Does that sound right????

See signature line for build date
http://www.tomnlisa.com
2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT  
Sable Black / Pewter Leather & Wood
6.0L 345HP AWD
10-Way seats, HID lamps, Auto Leveling, Ultrasonic Parking Assist, Stabilitrak, Rear Audio, Chrome Rims, On-board Driver Information Center, Sunroof, Tow Package
Options?  We don't need no stinking options!

shafman1

« Reply #25 on: 04/12/02 03:50 AM »

Only have 700+ miles but so far the only problem has been the rust colored spoting on the roof and under the door seals.  The dealer said it was fallout not rust.  Does that sound right????

See signature line for build date

I'd say it's normal if there isn't any rust left after you clean it, but I would check it again to make sure.

Just_Bruce

« Reply #26 on: 04/12/02 07:37 AM »

I have 27000 on my AV so far and am feeling pretty good about it so far.  I have had a cracked window frame, defective sun roof visor, unbalanced t-bars, squeaky seat belt, and a worn out E-brake (dealer fixed it but we don't know why it happened).  I feel like these are very minor probs that could happen on any vehicle.  Considering this is a new model vehicle it seems to be very low on the problem child list.  I don't image seeing this vehicle on the lemon list any time soon!!! :D :D

Ghost

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Aye, Laddie...Ya got any beer?
« Reply #27 on: 04/26/02 09:08 AM »

I have a black Z66,  build date 10/01 (where do you find the day/) purchased 02/02, 2600 miles.  I had a pull to the right, fixed.  However, I have a noise in the steering I'm not happy with:

This doesn't occur every time.   I hear the noise (which sounds like a groan with slight vibration) when doing a three point turn.  The fluid in the pump is full.  Pull up to the shoulder, cut wheels left, begin the turn.  Stop.  Cut wheels to the right before backing.  This is when the noise occurs, on the cutback.  I gotta get it into the dealer, havn't had the chance yet.  Anybody else?  Haven't had any other difficulties yet....

R.I.P Burner
1961-2008

chevylover

• Charter Member
  • Nothing to see here.....Just my Bad Ass AV!!
« Reply #28 on: 04/26/02 12:55 PM »

Build date 01/02.  Had to have the tranny replaced at 3800 miles.  Leaks a little at the back window, but only when I spray it with high preasure water.  Nothing else at this time.
2002 Victory Red 1500 Z-71, 4.10 fully loaded.  KN FIPK, 40 series Flowmaster, Magnaflow stainless 4" tips, Amber DRL's, PIAA 9006's, 22% Tint :B: Castro Valley, CA
http://www.PictureTrail.com/daren_james

Mr._A_Valanche

• Charter Member
  • Good grief, I wish I had an Avalanche.
« Reply #29 on: 04/26/02 01:16 PM »

I had the cladding replaced on the rear passenger door. It started pulling loose at the top corner so the dealer replaced it no problems. I asked the parts guy how much the panel sold for he told me $94.00. Glad it was under warranty.
Also had a klunking sound in the steering wheel when making right hand turns around 30 mph. I was told it was the upper intermediate stearing shaft that was bad.They lubed and replaced it. Build date 10/01
03 K1500 Z71, RED W/GRAPHITE FULL LEATHER BUCKETS, 4:10 GEARS, SUNROOF,TRAILERING EQUIPMENT, WOL TIRES, DRIVER CONVIENCE PACKAGE, MANICK POLISHED STAINLESS BARS,GIBSON CAT BACK SYSTEM,K&N FILTER, GM BUG DEFLECTOR, CW BILLET GRILL AND TINTED FRONT WINDOWS.

Mellow Yellow

• Charter Member
« Reply #30 on: 04/29/02 03:15 AM »

I have the same problem with the cladding on driver side rear
passenger door. I noticed the cladding pulling away from thre sheet metal. I haven't gone the dealer route yet, just noticed
it yesterday (4/28).  Mine was built on 12/27/01, just 1700
miles. I'll let everyone know how I make out with the dealer.
03 Yellow North Face 1500 Born on 03/06/2003
Sunroof XM Radio and Power Mirrors Cool X Treme Catch All Floor Mats Factory Running Boards
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

BUCKEYEAV

• Charter Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche! ....Times Two!
« Reply #31 on: 04/29/02 04:15 AM »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Just had my first leak issue over the weekend.

Had panels and rear window in place, with midgate folded down.  Had full of 8 and 6 foot ladders, bunch of shovels, rakes, tool box, saw-horses etc...  Backed in my driveway when got home, so bed was uphill, with front end facing wown hill.  Was in very bad rain.  Intended to go out and unload stuff to garage when stopped rainng.  Rain never stopped, so just went to bed.  

Got up in morning to unload, and was a good deal of water had pooled in the front on the seat cover.  (Glad had just bought a month or so ago the midgate seat cover from GM parts direct......saved inside).  First thought it was just run off from some of the wet ladders and equipment when loaded.  But on further inspection, noticed leakage around seal where midgate would be if were closed.  

Once closed midgate.........had to soak up a good deal of water from carpet, and under midgate hinge cover from rear floor.

Have seen other posts in other places, is this covered on a TSB?  With bed panels, and window in place, midgate down is it supposed to be water tight?  Should I go to the dealer with this?

Bought 02/23/02, need to check for build date.

Any help appreciated!
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue Z66 1500
Born 01/08/02
Bought 02/23/02
13 Avalanche Black LS 4X4 w/Tow Package
Born ?
Bought 06/29/13

BUCKEYEAV

• Charter Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche! ....Times Two!
« Reply #32 on: 04/29/02 09:17 AM »

Just noticed the number of posts for water leakage under:

My Avalanche leaks con't.  section.

Will post this message there.

Thanks!
02 Avalanche Indigo Blue Z66 1500
Born 01/08/02
Bought 02/23/02
13 Avalanche Black LS 4X4 w/Tow Package
Born ?
Bought 06/29/13

Rake

• Charter Member
  • Bought one to carry my Boards.
« Reply #33 on: 05/02/02 02:23 AM »

Rear window Leaks

Midgate Leaks

Wheel Well Leaks

Driving a f*ing metro while it's in the shop for an "undetermined amount of time"

Right now I think chevy sucks to the hairy root.

'02, Z71, 1500, Onyx Black, Neutral Leather, all the options.

Maverick

• Charter Member
  • Chevy Avalanche is a Can o' Corn!  I luv it!
« Reply #34 on: 05/02/02 05:49 AM »

Rake,

What was your "born on date"?
2002 Indiglo Blue 1500.  Graphite cloth seats. Mountain Z66 decals, Stripeman tailgate letters,  overhead DIC console, Pioneer stereo, XM, Kicker 300x4 amp, Kicker Rs6 door speakers, Kicker CVR 10 in custom box, Carriageworks billet grill, Trenz chrome bowtie.

Maverick

• Charter Member
  • Chevy Avalanche is a Can o' Corn!  I luv it!
« Reply #35 on: 05/02/02 05:54 AM »

Rake,

I see in another thread your born on date was 1-02.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

I would have to agree driving a Metro with your AV in the shop would suck a fat man's a**!
2002 Indiglo Blue 1500.  Graphite cloth seats. Mountain Z66 decals, Stripeman tailgate letters,  overhead DIC console, Pioneer stereo, XM, Kicker 300x4 amp, Kicker Rs6 door speakers, Kicker CVR 10 in custom box, Carriageworks billet grill, Trenz chrome bowtie.

Durwin

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: 05/06/02 04:12 AM »

Hello All,
    Well, I picked up my Avalanche from Family Chevrolet in Shingle Springs, near Sacramento. During dealer prep, (P&I, I found out) it got sctrached up. It doesn't seem to be down the the primer. The area is on the bed just below the plastic A pillar, which got scratched up too. Same thing for the other side... :8:
Great. The only good thing about the entire day was that the detail people told me that it was most likey caused by the service techs that had prepped it. Seems that they had recieved quite a few vehicles the same day mine came in. At least she was truthful and told me.
Oh well, maybe it's a good thing that the first damage occured at 3 miles. Time to go back to the dealer to get it fixed.
It's a GREAT vehicle though. Chevy really did their homework this time  :)
Durwin
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
« Reply #37 on: 05/06/02 04:50 AM »

Well, after 2 months and 2,000 miles I found my first Av problem.  Yesterday I lowered the right rear window.  When I pressed the button to go up - nothing.   :'(  Fortunately I could still get the window up by using the local switch on the rear door.

Must be the driver's switch, because the motor obviously works.  Anybody else have a similar problem on an Av or other Chevy vehicle?
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

trash

• Charter Member
  • Black Z71 Avalanche
« Reply #38 on: 05/06/02 05:37 AM »

Had a problem on the weekend (well, the girlfriend did).  Driving out on the highway in gale force winds, one of the side saddle covers flew open, ripping the small cable in half.  Doesn't look like any damage to the lid itself, but the cable will have to be replaced.

Trash

WolfDogTom

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • In Loving Memory
« Reply #39 on: 05/06/02 05:22 PM »

I got the AV in July of 2001 & haven't had any problems at all!
...except an occasional whine, but now I just let the wife out & the whining stops!

2002 Pewter Z71, TOTALLED in 2007-RIP.

Chasman

• Charter Member
  • Grand Canyon 2006
« Reply #40 on: 05/07/02 11:03 AM »

Good one.  

My wife whined for the first few days after I bought mine.  

2008 1500 LS Blue Granite
2005 1500 Z71 Silver Birch Metallic
2002 1500 Z71 Onyx Black

empty

• Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: 05/07/02 07:52 PM »

Had the driver's door cladding replaced.  The pointed part had warped and was pointing the wrong way.

Discovered another gripe the other day.  The left rear reading light goes through this sequence (from off): on, off, on, off, on, off, on, on, on, off.  Rinse, repeat.

2002 Z71

Brado

« Reply #42 on: 05/07/02 11:00 PM »

Bought my Avalanche in June of last year.  It currently has 21,000 mi on it.  So far the only problem I've had is the water leakage and a fog light building up condensation.  The fog light was replaced at no cost, and the water leak took 2 visits with no cost.  I don't know if the second visit fixed the problem yet. ( Just took it in Monday).  They said they found a faulty seal around the midgate on the first visit and another on the luggage rack on the second.   Other than the water problem my Av is running strong as an ox with no complaints.  

1500 Z-71, tan leather, power everything.

beesouth

Re: ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR AVALANCHE?
« Reply #43 on: 10/26/16 10:53 AM »

Radio mast antenna mount stud breaking off when trying to unscrew antenna.

This happened to me on my '02 Silverado, so I my antenna were already up when I went to unscrew the mast on my 2013 Avalanche. Popped plastic cover off and unscrewed the mount to see what was going on as I attempted to unscrew the mast. Good old factory techs mounted the mast with the addition of Blue LocTite. Worked it loose carefully and saved the mount. Thanks GM.

Cat Dancer

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • Well Stanley, This is Another Fine Mess!
« Reply #44 on: 10/26/16 11:46 AM »

The early Avalanches came with a Wing Nut type of tool in the glove box for tightening down the Antenna Mast. My 2003 seemed to be loose about every 2 or 3 months.

I did not see this tool in my 2010 or 2013 Avalanches.

Your LocTite experience must have been cheaper than providing tis tool or, if you are not the original owner, someone else solved it that way.

How did you find a Thread that died in 2002?  :o
2K03 LPM Z71 5/03 - 4/10
The True Essence of Understatement

2K10 Z71
Not Sperry τΏτ Driven, Sperry τΏτ Approval Pending

2K13 Black Diamond, Chair Lift Edition , Black Of Course!

brudon82

« Reply #45 on: 12/20/16 09:55 PM »

got a stuck cd in the stereo , drivers window and pwr locks and panel inop. broken tailgate latch ,  :laugh: :thumbdown: :E: :beating:
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.