Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
08/22/14 06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Z66 Vs. Z71  (Read 39770 times)
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #100 on: 08/17/03 12:53 PM »

Welcome to the club

I suggest reading the various threads ...many will answer your questions....even check the thread title please read before posting as it has some links to relevant threads...

I have Z66 but live in flat land where it never snows.........

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Dazed Dave
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Proud owner of the Grey Wolf

Awards
« Reply #101 on: 08/17/03 03:27 PM »

Z66 is two wheel drive.

Sig Pic removed Exceeded file size limit of 30kb

03 Z-66 dk grey metallic unclad roof rack side rails, butt warming leather seats etc, etc, etc

If you can't be good, be good at it
Bruno

Ridin' High Member_#2014

Awards
« Reply #102 on: 08/17/03 03:43 PM »

hello all, winter is approaching as well as a family and other responsibilities, the 00 camaro ss needs a break, and I need another ride. It is between the z66 on z71 ?

a question how is the z66 off road, does the hd locking get you by well enough off road and in the snow~

the z71 is 4wd but 3500+ more abouts, i will not be hard core off road but will enjoy a trail here and there but nother too rough.....

z66 owners how do you like it Huh

also how is the car insurance on these rides....Many thanks in advance

In snow country I would recommend 4 wheel drive.  Especially in a pickup truck since the rearend is "light" to begin with.  Go with either the base model 4wheel drive or the Z71.  If you plan on towing you also might want to checkout the 3/4 ton 2500 4x4.  

2002 Z71, Victory Red, MSD wires, K&N Filter, Glassscapes American flag on the rear window. Texas Bowtie, etc, etc.
Desert Rat

GO MOPAR :-P

Awards
« Reply #103 on: 08/17/03 03:51 PM »

I no longer have the winter issue, as down here I could run racing slicks year round if I really wanted too, and I only do mild offroading. I bought a z71, as occasionally I do go north. I use to live in the snow and cold, and even though you could get by most of the time with only 2wd, on occasion I was very glad to be able to shift into 4wd. $3500 is a chunk of money for something you may never use, but to me, it is good insurance I can always get to where I need to go, and places I really shouldn't in a $40,000 truck   . Also the autotrac is nice when it rains and the roads get alittle slick. Just my .02 Cents

Grey_Av

Remember. You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.

2003 DGM AV..... RIP 09-10-2005

My new ride is a GoManGo Dodge Charger Daytona R/T mods thus far... Rockblocker headlight and tailight kits, MOPAR CAI
Nightshark

Ford's taste like chicken!!!

Awards
« Reply #104 on: 08/17/03 03:58 PM »

If you live in the snow (or mud) areas, or go off road occasionally, definitely go with a 4wd just for piece of mind.  You never know when you may get a surprise blizzard.   thumbs_up

2006 Corvette coupe in Monterey Red
2004 Cadillac SRX V8 AWD
2008 Buell XB12Scg in Translucent Red
...and others...

I finally found a cute single female...non-psyhco...with a job...Woohoo!!!!

Sold - 2003 Arrival Blue Z71 w/all options except XM Radio.Chrome step bars,protection package, SnakeEyes Backup camera,Amber DRL's, Billet grille, Reflective Blue lettering, Windshield lettering, Wink Bowtie, Procold Intake, HPPIII, GM Brush Guard, Line of fire
flynhigh
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

So yea... huh.....

Awards
« Reply #105 on: 08/17/03 09:03 PM »

Only way to go is with the Z71!  Piece of ind knowing you have the ability if you ever need it!  Also they tend to hold their value better over time!

Of all the things I've Lost,  I miss my mind the most.
SnowTrojan

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #106 on: 08/17/03 09:38 PM »

Z71 also comes with more knobby tires, though I suppose you could replace them on a base 4x4.

Like someone above said, Z66 is the 2wd "On-Road Suspension Package".  But traction control is nice too thumbs_up

SOLD: 2003 Avalanche WBH LPM
NEW! 2005 Avalanche WBH Z66 DGM[/b] - Mods:  ADRL, Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Moldings...
mcrendog
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering

WWW Awards
« Reply #107 on: 08/17/03 10:00 PM »

Hey Catherine Wheel, way cool name as that is one of my favorite bands! I like my Z66, I hear it does well in snow and is probably good for light, light trails. Generally a little cheaper on insurance too.

My Chevy Avalanche! - 2003 Z66, Arrival Blue WBH with full leather.

Mods: Pinstriping, Tailgate lettering, Amber DRLs, Line of Fire, Billet Fuel Door and the Av tent. http://www.michaelreynolds.com/av.html
midlifecrisis
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #108 on: 08/18/03 07:08 AM »

I have only used the 4WD a handful of times in the 18 months I've owned the Av.  But for those times in snowstorms and mud, the 4WD was INVALUABLE to me.  I live in NJ, where winters can get dicey, and I travel all over the northeast.  It inevitably snows like crazy when I visit my parents in NY state.

2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip
midlifecrisis
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #109 on: 08/18/03 07:12 AM »

Also, the 4WD does help with resale value, especially in the area where I live.  I would imagine in places like Florida that 4WD does not help resale as much.

2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #110 on: 08/18/03 07:30 AM »

Also, the 4WD does help with resale value, especially in the area where I live.  I would imagine in places like Florida that 4WD does not help resale as much.

But it also costs more upfront........I doubt a used Z71 would bring in the $3500 option price versus a Z66...IMO

You would get more but it cost more.......

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
got change

my avalanche does what ..I ..want

Awards
« Reply #111 on: 08/18/03 07:34 AM »

c-w, my old story, is if you need 4 -wheel drive, just one time , its worth it.
I still get gas milage in high teens, on the open road, with my z-71, and having 4 wheel drive means your truck can do more for you, when you need it to.

I pull a lot of boats, and at the ramp, many times a year, i would either call a wrecker to pull me up the ramp, or not be able to use my truck, for what i bought it for, to haul stuff!!!

if you figure it out by the month, its worth having 4-wd!

at least you for sure are on the right track, getting an avalanche!!

g/c
Big_Don
« Reply #112 on: 08/18/03 08:03 AM »

Check NADA for used prices on a 2000 Tahoe, 2WD vs 4WD.  I found there to be nearly $2000 difference in the value.  So if 4WD does cost $3500 more, your net cost was only $1500.  You would not need to use 4WD much for it to be worth $1500 in my opinion, but you will need to decide for yourself.
Hope that helps,
Desert Rat

Awards
« Reply #113 on: 08/18/03 08:11 AM »

why do they even make 2wd trucks? even semi's have 4wd  

My new ride is a GoManGo Dodge Charger Daytona R/T mods thus far... Rockblocker headlight and tailight kits, MOPAR CAI
Dazed Dave

Awards
« Reply #114 on: 08/18/03 08:15 AM »

why do they even make 2wd trucks? even semi's have 4wd  
For people like me who have to try everything out.  Just have to see if I can crawl over that rock or cross that mud pit.  Any trouble I can get into with 2WD, I know somebody can get me out goofy Cool

03 Z-66 dk grey metallic unclad roof rack side rails, butt warming leather seats etc, etc, etc

Desert Rat

Awards
« Reply #115 on: 08/18/03 08:25 AM »

or you clould own a 4wd, but use only 2wd, then when you get stuck use 4wd and get yourself out....   Roll Eyes

I am just alittle bias on this matter.... even if I lived in the bahama's or hawaii I would still buy 4wd.

Dazed Dave

Awards
« Reply #116 on: 08/18/03 08:28 AM »

What I meant was, I'd use 4WD to gett myself out and then get stuck using 4WD and use a winch to get out and then get stuck........................

catherine-wheel

Awards
« Reply #117 on: 08/18/03 05:38 PM »

Thanks for all your input !! You have been very helpful !!

Pending the insurance costs, i think i will z71....but if it gets too $$$ then the 66..... love

Either that..... or if anyone gets stuck in the mud I can pull you out with the camaro ss,  Grin
ChevyThunder
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

RESULTS...NOT EXCUSES!!!

Awards
« Reply #118 on: 08/19/03 04:43 AM »

My .02 is that I would rather have my  Z71  when I needed it, than have to want it when it really matters. Every little thing helps, especially when family is involved!

The Z71 is a great choice. You won't regret it.

Don't forget to look at the posts about changing the decals. See below!!!  Grin

CT chevy

2004 Victory Red Z71
2008 Blue Granite Metallic 3LT Z71
Z66 BUTCH
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

I love Dachshunds

Awards
« Reply #119 on: 08/19/03 05:42 AM »

Also you might want to consider the extra maintance that a 4 wheel drive can cost. I say unless you really need the 4 wheel drive try a Z66, with the locking rear end it got me through over 60 snows last winter with NO PROBLEMS. As for why they even make 2 wheel drive trucks, it is for the sensible people!

Butch
« Last Edit: 08/19/03 08:27 PM by Z66 BUTCH » Logged

midlifecrisis
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #120 on: 08/19/03 08:03 AM »

Check NADA for used prices on a 2000 Tahoe, 2WD vs 4WD.  I found there to be nearly $2000 difference in the value.  So if 4WD does cost $3500 more, your net cost was only $1500.  You would not need to use 4WD much for it to be worth $1500 in my opinion, but you will need to decide for yourself.
Hope that helps,

That was part of my point.  After 3 years, a vehicle may only be worth 1/2 of what you paid, but the 4WD drive option may retain 2/3 of its value.  Still a losing investment, but less so....

Plus in my area, almost everyone in the market for a used truck wants 4WD (lots of farms, etc), so it helps with getting the vehicle sold.

biohazard1.2
« Reply #121 on: 08/19/03 08:41 AM »

Also you might want to consider the extra maintance that a 4 wheel drive can cost. I say unless ytou really need the 4 wheel drive try a Z66, with the locking rear end it got me through over 60 snows last winter with NO PROBLEMS. As fo why they even make 2 wheel drive trucks, it is for the sensible people!

Butch

Be Nice or some "un-sensible" likewise in-sensitive owner of a Z71 may just leave you stuck when you need to be unstuck and ...more sensitive.

Being "un-sensible", I really like the ability to pull my heavily laden boat up slippery, algae covered ramps, pull right up the waterline on any beach...soft or not, pull my very heavy utility trailer into the woods thru water holes, mud and soft, deep sand.

If I bought the Z66, knowing that I would use it for all of the above, that would make me even more "un-sensible" Grin...just kidding around...but, really, sense and sensibility...

I live in FL...but do go to the North occasionally.
« Last Edit: 08/19/03 12:33 PM by biohazard1.2 » Logged
catherine-wheel

Awards
« Reply #122 on: 08/19/03 08:05 PM »

you guys are funny ! once agin thanks for the help in decieding. It doesn't look like I can make a bad choice.........
Lockout

Watch out for the Supercuts Special Cut!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #123 on: 08/19/03 08:23 PM »

It's funny, asking a question like this, and you can really see the line between us Z71er's and them Z66er's  

You really can't make a bad choice when it comes to the Avy... I've owned a lot of trucks, and I can easily say that this is the best I have owned.  

All you need to do is think about what it is you want your Avy to do. If you're going to do some heavy duty camping, boating, or 4x4ing.... go for the Z71. If you want to do some very light 4x4ing, some camping, and towing.... go for the Z66.

It's all up to what you want to do with it. Good luck, and let us know what you finally get. Grin

BTW... Welcome to the club

Edit: Doh!!! you bet me to the can't make a bad choice line.  banghead
« Last Edit: 08/19/03 08:24 PM by Lockout » Logged

Dazed Dave

Awards
« Reply #124 on: 08/19/03 08:40 PM »

If you want to do some very light 4x4ing, some camping, and towing.... go for the Z66.
What other vehicle can take a 2WD 4X4ing Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: