• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Everything Avalanche vs. Ridgeline...all comparisons here...

Tiger

Honda copied the Avalanche from bumper to bumper...yet they DO DOT compare it on any of their testing thus far.? ?:E:? It had to be done...? ?>:D

Ridgeline vs. Avalanche Specifications:
3.5L VTEC-V6? vs.? 5.3L V8? ? :B:
244hp & 241 ft lbs? vs.? 295hp & 330 ft lbs
Mileage 16/21* (Estimated) vs. 14-16/17-20mpg

Width 77.8"? vs. 79.8" (excludes mirrors)
Length 206.8" vs. 221.0" (Av has bumpers F/R)
Height 70.3"? vs. 73.6" (Wheels can affect this)
Wheel track 67.1"? vs. 66.9"
Seats 5? vs. 5 or 6

Hip Room F/R? 40.7/39.1? vs. 40.7/38.6
Leg Room F/R? 40.8/36.4? vs. 41.3/38.9
Shoulder Room 63.2/62.6? vs.? 65.2/65.2
Hip Room? 57.6/57.2? vs. 61.4/62.0 (there's a mistake here, but the Av is MUCH larger in the rear seat)

Ground clearance 8.2? vs. 8.6-9.6

Bed Dimensions
Length? 60.0? vs. 63.0
Depth? 20.7 vs? 22.5
Width? 49.5? vs? 49.0
Storage 8.5 in tire trunk? vs. 6.2 in side boxes
Covers? Optional? vs. Standard 41.0 Sq ft lockable
Bed Mat Optional? vs. Standard
Composite bed? Yes? vs.? Yes
Tailgate Capacity 300lbs vs. 1,500 rolling? ?:B:
Midgate? No? vs. Yes? ?:love:
Rear Window? Power? vs. Removable

Towing? Up to 5,000lbs vs 7,000to12,000 lbs.? ?:eek:
Transfer case? No? vs. Yes
Lock Rear Diff?? No? vs. Yes

Base price $28,000+? vs. $32,000+? ? :9:

So, the numbers were closer than I imagined!? The Ridgeline is only 2 inches shy in width!? It's 15 inches shorter overall, but lacks the protective Front and Rear bumpers that most trucks have.? The front seat dimensions are competitive, though the back seat seems to be tight in comparison to an Av.? I also must admit that the price and MPG were closer than I expected.? Given the fact there are no stripper Avalanches, plus the new Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Chevy Colorado, and Dodge Dakota...I'd say it'll be an interesting battle in the marketplace.? Just what does American want?

What are your impressions thus far?? ????

The Ridgeline would be better compared IMHO to the Colorado, Dakota, or Sport Trac, it is an apples to orange comparison.  But keep in mind that the Ridgeline stock, has more bed capacity than a 1/2 ton Avalanche.  With a 1,500 pound rating, by my understanding of the marketing speak, it is a 3/4 ton P/U truck...

Wow - that is not impressive mileage numbers - would have thought it would be better...

Chief said:
The Ridgeline would be better compared IMHO to the Colorado, Dakota, or Sport Trac, it is an apples to orange comparison.? But keep in mind that the Ridgeline stock, has more bed capacity than a 1/2 ton Avalanche.? With a 1,500 pound rating, by my understanding of the marketing speak, it is a 3/4 ton P/U truck...

Chief,

If you read through the literature (a time consuming task) you'll find that the bed capacity on the Ridgeline is 1,100 lbs.

Chief said:
The Ridgeline would be better compared IMHO to the Colorado, Dakota, or Sport Trac, it is an apples to orange comparison.?

Well, given the inaccurate News headline on the ticker today? "Honda's new truck takes on Chevy and Ford head on"? I felt this was in order!? ?;D

I can't wait for the first one to try to do a parking lot challange side by side.  I would love to actually compare them then head for the trail to compare them off-road and in use!  >:D :love: :B:

Hey, Kevin, before you head to the off-road challenge, be sure to put something the back of each truck, and see if it's still there when you're finished. Bet his will be gone.

Av-n-Taz said:
Hey, Kevin, before you head to the off-road challenge, be sure to put something the back of each truck, and see if it's still there when you're finished. Bet his will be gone.

Through the bed or out the tailgate? :-*

pdxkevin said:
I can't wait for the first one to try to do a parking lot challange side by side.? I would love to actually compare them then head for the trail to compare them off-road and in use!? >:D :love: :B:

Honda's? Ridgeline states use of the VTM-4 ("Variable Torque Management 4WD") which is currently available on the Pilot.?

To quote Car and Driver's Honda Pilot test:

"The Pilot's standard VTM-4 system has a dashboard switch that locks both rear half-shafts (there's no center or rear differential), but it operates in just the 1st 2 gears and unlocks at 18mph.? ?:eek:? Otherwise, the system runs primarily in front drive and sends torque to the rear wheels when wheelspin is sensed up front."? :7:

That is incredible.? I can see the pissed off rednecks now wondering WTH!? :D

:B:

Some observations.....
? I am wondering what the curb weght will be of the Honda... with the Av's considerable booty I don't believe that the HP #'s will be sufficient for the R/L
? If The Av had a simple AWD system I would have bent over bacward to get it ( w/o the premium of ..... say 20 K for the Cadi)... BUT the Honda system might work for the Pilot.. in it's capacity as family replacement for the station wagon... but not really on a truck. What good is a system that unlocks @ 18 mph? not much when driving on snow or gravel.
? As for towing.... It might come with a hitch .... but so does the Pilot.... I don't see many towing travel trlrs.. do you guys?
? I LOVE Honda's.... they run F O R E V E R? but I am lost as to the market segment that they see... Let's be real here. They're not going to compete w/ the Gen.... If they don't 'splode they are already better than? FERD  :D
and compete with Dodge?!? give me a break.
? ?I just don't see where they are going with this one.....?  :B:that's why I write tickets and don't run Honda I guess..... >:D

I posted quite a few of those numbers back about 14 months ago (12/03) and no one believed me the Honda was going to be ALMOST as big and as much truck as the AV.  I think towing capacity was (IMHO) a little low at like 4300 lbs.  But it was/is larger than most expected.  I kept telling people it was larger than they thought with more room inside and in the bed than many expected.  All I got was people bashing it because it's an import.

Of course my info also included a split midgate with a few blury pictures of a prototype (don't think they have ANY midgate now - GM must have sued them) and they talked of a hybric V6 engine for better power/fuel economy. 

Eh, here is one BLURY picture of the SPLIT midgate concept poster Honda claimed they were going to do with the Honda and Acura.  You can see the 8' load in one side.

Maybe the hybrid V6 will come out as the Acura...

However, if it can't haul drywall - it's not going to be in my garage.  Period.    :cautious:

Attachments

• DSCF2521 (Small).JPG
    DSCF2521 (Small).JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 2,261
Looked at the ridgeline today at the Auto Show,

I like the trunk space under the bed BUT if you were to haul gravel or barkdust you would never get it out of there.

Its roof hight is much lower than the av and...

The thing is FUGLY!!!!

:D:

I have been unable to find a curb weight on the Honda. It'll be interesting to see what kind of power to weight ratio it has.

As far as looks, I kind of like the profile.But as far as the front end, grill and rear go, Honda's designers were screwin' the pooch got it all wrong, IMO.  :eek:

Agree with Oohya 100%.  Got to see this "thing" in person and I can tell you that people that critized the Av will have a new focus of their attention.

No midgate and freaking ugly.  I do however like the use of the space below the bed as a storage area.  It would be great on the Av as a place for tool storage or survival supplies if you were 4 wheeling.

with regard to looks..... Av owner to Ridegeline buyer: 

Av owner: Hi, I'm mister pot
Ridegeline buyer: nice to meet you, I'm Mster Kettle.........

ETC. :B:

Photo from Honda's site:

main.jpg

The Ridgeline front end sheetmetal and grill fall short, IMHO.

ridgeline.jpg

It doesn't look as big in person as the numbers indicate. First impressions:

1. It looks more like a SportTrac.
2. Way too plasticky and cheap on the inside.
3. The dual opening tailgate and under-floor storage is a great idea.
4. Another Honda "appliance" that will probably sell very well to the masses.

I think I'll be keeping my Avalanche.  ;)

Fitzie Sensei (formerly said:
Steelheadchaser said:
I think I'll be keeping my Avalanche.? ;)

Even though it IS nekid!!? :p

It's not quite as cold here as it is where you live.  ;D

Back