• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How Safe Is The Avalanche?

Mystery.Shadow

Charter Member
Wow.... Take a look at the pics in the following link. It's to the recent Interstate-68 Pile-up in Western Maryland. Where 70+ Vehicles, including many Semi Trucks caused Auto Insurance Companies to cringe.

http://www.cresaptownvfd.org/accident/

Take close notes to pictures 63 thru 66 where you can see how well our beloved Avalanche survided!!

It's truely amazing, and a testimony to ALL vehicle manufacturers that there were only two fatalities reported in this pile-up.

pic 55 also has the AV, drivers doors are fine. 60 also is a good pic. Also interesting is 69, the Ford PU has no damage but the LeSaber's trunk is gone.

I don't want to think about 70 and 71, all that baby stuff in the trunk.

The last pic, accident1 also has the rear of the Av, some damage.

WOW that looks like it was quite an eye-opener!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The shots in 60, 63, 64, 65, & 66 in the main folder do show the AV. ?The shots 49, 51, 52, 55, 60, & 63 in the "accident" subfolder are the closeups on the AV.

The AV almost looks like it drove up right into the piled mess of those two cars for a photo op. after the accident. ?Those are some amazing shots. ?

Looks like it took fast reflexes and a clear mind during the accident to avoid major crushing like those two cars. ?I didn't see a single light lense broken on the AV. The rear bumper got a the brunt of it based on the photos.

Thanks for sharing. ?

I noticed that I hadn't answered the question posed in the subject line. VERY. I would much rather be surrounded by metal than a little aluminum during these types of accidents. The trucks survived the little cars? :( Is you life worth a couple mpg better?

DAMN...did you look at 81. Looks like an explorer.

I swear this happens every day here in Chicago, but it turns out we just have a lot of traffic :mad:

Unbelievable. It's always a heartbreaker when you see something like this happen. On the one hand, I'm shocked and pleased at how well the Av fared (since I'm trusting my family to one), but on the other, it's not like I want to go around giving high fives to other Av owners.

It still seems like there ought to be more body damage. That truck looked like it had just been in a minor fender bender. It would be interesting to know how the accident actually went down.

pdxkevin said:
The AV almost looks like it drove up right into the piled mess of those two cars for a photo op. after the accident.

I think it's a good bet that's close to what happened. The Av was able to get stopped in time, but whomever was behind it didn't. Looks like someone tagged the r/r fender and bumper on the Av.

Also interesting, the Av appears to be facing BACKWARDS in the traffic, it got tagged and spun around. Picture 49 shows this well as do others.

Does anyone know what interstate that happened on, I saw A maryland Tag on the AV, so I am thinking it might of been I-81 any ideas?

The fire dept jackets say Frostberg so it is probably 40/68 just west of Cumberland. It is also a Garrett Co fire truck. Another fire jacket has CVFD on it.

Back