• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

You Won't Believe This......

Pendlum

Charter Member
This weekend I went to drive the truck and everytime I hit the brakes, the steering wheel would jerk to the right. I'm talking severe. Well, I thought one of the calipers wasn't working so I took the wheels off Sunday to check the brakes. Everything looked good. I even pushed the pistons back in and let them reseat to the pads.
Well, as I was putting the passengers side back together I noticed that when I went to tighten the screws on the caliper, the whole suspension assembly moved.
I thought, "that's not suppose to happen." On checking it closer, I noticed that the upper A-arm was loose. The bolts were hand tight. So, everytime I hit the brake, the A-arm would move back.
I had the truck aligned at the dealership about a month ago and noticed that the alignment was gradually getting worse. Now I know why!
The damn tech. didn't tighted the bolts all the way.
Took the truck in this morning and told them and now I'm waiting for an answer. I told them I wanted another alignment, but this time I wanted the tech to tighten the bolts per spec.
I was pissed. The bolt was just rattling around in the hole. If that thing would have come out going 70mph, I would have been toast!
Don't you just love the dealer?

Jason:

I'd raise a big stink - life time free oil changes comes to mind! Glad to here that you are OK - hate to lose you with all your valuable input and great steering wheel controls!

Glad you're OK Jason . . .

Fun factory / dealer experiences from years past - mine or other members of my family . . .

Tool left on top of engine - jammed throttle open
Loose drain plug in differential - fell out - seized diff
Many loose bolts in rear suspension - took several
months to find them all
Screwed up alignment - destroyed two tires (but they
had tightened the bolts)

In all cases, the dealer fixed the problems, but some of these were downright dangerous!

So you see why I avoid dealerships like the plague. If I can't do it myself, I'll find a reputable independent mechanic. But warrenty work is another question - I just hope that I don't need any.

I hope everything works out for ya. I always stand over the mech's shoulder when any work is done on my vehicles.It's amaizing what these mech's can forget.

Oh I beleive it Pendlum.., I know these Dearer Techs., Im about to bring My Truck in for a Front Differentail Problem.., needless to say.., Im S_ _ ting a Brick.., Im going to have a Good Talk with the Service Manager.., first to know Exactly what Failed.., and to be Sure it gets Fixed Right.., because if they cant Do it Right.., I know a couple of places that Can Fix it Right.., not to Hammer All Dealerships, or there Techs., but Good Ones who know there stuff., are not that easy to find.., Id feel better if they tell Me.., the Front Diff. is Shot., we need to Replace it..., Laughs........

I think I would be getting a hold of the NHTSA. Plus that guy should be fired. They owe you big time. :rolleyes:

Back