• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Audio Quality

mecrens

I saw a recent thread on pro/con of sat radio.  couple of post mentioned not so good audio quality with sat radio.  i have std bose with add rca jacks.  (i can play ipod mp3 player thru aux)  how is audio quality for sat radio connected thru rca jacks and NOT USING FM transmitter.  i would hope it would be similar to CD and Ipod thru rca

I would disagree with others but I have a different setup.  I have a pioneer deck, a digital sound processor and my XM Myfi going through rca patches to the deck.  I think the signal is equal to if not better than cd quality.  They advertise it and I believe it.  I live in the Northwest and ocasionally fades out but it is worth it to me. 

If you want good or better Sat audio quality, you covered the worst offender to it already - FM modulators.

But with OEM line-in connections in place to improve it, consider the amp in the premium system (you said "std Bose"). It would be your next concern. The premium system "crap" amp is just that and most any aftermarket amp and speaker system would improve the quality even more; not just "louder".

That would concern me far before the A to D converter quality in the Sat receiver.

I have mine connected to my EQ, no head unit involved, using rca's.  Sound is comparable to a store bought CD.  LOTS better than downloaded/recorded cd's or mp3 files.

i think the sound quality is great.  the FM modulated signal is converted back to analog when you hear it through the speakers, so you will want to avoid this type of hook-up.

Back