Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
04/24/14 03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can my 2004 av pull a 30 ft travel trailer  (Read 7695 times)
john97618

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #25 on: 12/07/05 06:48 AM »

I tow a 30 foot TT.  It's 5670lbs empty.  It tows fine on level terrain.  Put me on a slight incline and it wants to stay in 3rd and sometimes drop even further.  Your trailer is to heavy to tow behind a 1500 without causing some problems somewhere.  Even the hitch weight with a WDH would be exceeded.

2004 AV 1500 Z71.  Dark Blue Metallic.  Bed Slide, Bugdeflector, side window deflectors, Chevy brake light hitch cover.  Leather interior with power/heated seats, Sunroof. 6 cd player. Trailor tow package.
linksalot

Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 12/10/05 12:19 AM »

although i agree 11000 lbs is severelyabove and beyond 15oo tow stats , i have absolutely no drivablity issues other than not enough power. the above statement requiring 1300 lbs of tongue weight really doesnt apply to a triple axle trailer. 500 is more than enough. the trailer manufacterer set this trailer up and i assume they know proper loading. his only recommendation was to use a solid steel tongue and if trailer sway became an issue then use a weight distibuting hitch setup. the distributor that sold me the trailer hauls repossessed boats from all over the midwest with a 1/2 ton 6.0 liter pickup and they have roughly the same tow capabilities as the AV. now i am not recommending this tow setup with an AV, i know the transmission will certainly have major issues with this kind of abuse. but the vehical is new and i will sell it long before the warrenty is up and buy a 3/4 duramax. my comment i guess was geared towards my amazement that the AV towed so well considering how truly overloaded this set up is . braking was another concern upon my 1st tow, however with triple axle electric package stops extremely well.
linksalot

Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #27 on: 12/10/05 12:23 AM »

regarding the tow rating in above question the sticker on the class 2 hitch does say 11000 lbs but that is if equipped with a weight distributing hitch. and that only applies to the hitch , not the tow capabilities of the AV itself
Fast Eddie
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

I hate having to think of something to write here!

Awards
« Reply #28 on: 12/16/05 08:34 AM »

There is a very big disparity between being ABLE to tow 11,000lbs and being able to do it SAFELY.  Heck these trucks can pull 20,000lbs if you were dumb enough to hook it up, the truck would not last and it would be scary, but it would do it. 

Manufactures rate towing capabilities not just based on power, chassis and braking in a straight line, they base alot of it on the trucks ability to control the trailer under ABNORMAL conditions--ie panic stop, debris in the road, off grade turns,wind gusts etc.  These conditions may never present themselves to you while towing 11,000lbs, but if they do, once, you are very unlikely to make it through safely or even alive.

2005 EXT White Diamond, Nav/roof/rims/DVD
Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N 77 series intake, rear camera/ pac interface, Maglite mod 2007 18" Slade rims and tires
2005 Denali Nav/roof/DVD
2003 Turbo Sunset Orange 1500 Av Z71 --SOLD
msheldon

Awards
« Reply #29 on: 12/16/05 09:21 AM »

the above statement requiring 1300 lbs of tongue weight really doesnt apply to a triple axle trailer. 500 is more than enough.

No, 500 is not more than enough. Again, travel trailers are not boats. For a triple-axle trailer, the required weight will be less than a dual, but not *that* much less. You're still talking about having a "drop-dead" minimum of 8% of the loaded trailer weight, up to 14%. This means your *absolute* minimum is 880 pounds, and might still be as high as 1,500.

the trailer manufacterer set this trailer up and i assume they know proper loading.
Big laughter with tears Man, thanks for that, I've been sick all week, and haven't had that good a laugh in a while.

*You* are responsible for proper loading, not the manufacturer or the dealer.

The trailer manufacturer and dealer will say *anything* to get you to fork over the cash. Frankly, they're as bad as the stereotypical used car dealers ever were. I've seen guys get sold 36' 5th wheels, with the dealer telling them the whole time that their 1/2 ton pickup will handle it just fine. Now, to be fair, most sales droids aren't intentionally deceiving their customers, most of them are just dead ignorant about these things.

2003 2500 2WD, 4.10, SnugTop XUV Cap, Jordan Ultima brake controller, Full-time Amber DRLs, All four on high, Equal-i-zer Hitch, RVCams video rear-view system, Pacer Hi-Five running lights, greyhound hood ornament, Putnam XDR Class V hitch receiver, Timbren SES Helper Springs, in-bed side-pocket hatches, Mag-Hytec differential cover.
2005 Skyline Rampage 257 Toy Hauler, dual 6v batteries, solar charger.
sennister

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 12/16/05 01:51 PM »

although i agree 11000 lbs is severelyabove and beyond 15oo tow stats , i have absolutely no drivablity issues other than not enough power. the above statement requiring 1300 lbs of tongue weight really doesnt apply to a triple axle trailer. 500 is more than enough. the trailer manufacterer set this trailer up and i assume they know proper loading. his only recommendation was to use a solid steel tongue and if trailer sway became an issue then use a weight distibuting hitch setup. the distributor that sold me the trailer hauls repossessed boats from all over the midwest with a 1/2 ton 6.0 liter pickup and they have roughly the same tow capabilities as the AV. now i am not recommending this tow setup with an AV, i know the transmission will certainly have major issues with this kind of abuse. but the vehical is new and i will sell it long before the warrenty is up and buy a 3/4 duramax. my comment i guess was geared towards my amazement that the AV towed so well considering how truly overloaded this set up is . braking was another concern upon my 1st tow, however with triple axle electric package stops extremely well.

It would be nice if you posted your VIN# That way I won't be the poor guy that buys your truck when it is resold.

03 Z71 Avalanche cladded, every option but on*, XM, RSE (DVD) and Side Airbags.
Mods: Cubby Cam Tailgate Cam, 130 AMP Alternator, Amber DRL, Full Time DRL, 4 on High, K&N Air Filter, Flowmaster S40, Power Tailgate Lock, Key Fob Mod, Parking Brake Mod, Headrest Mod, Mag Light Mod, Removed factory cross bars on roof rack, Thule 450 Crossroads & 58" crossbars

99 Audi A4
97 Chevrolet Blazer
93 Honda ST1100
Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #31 on: 12/17/05 09:53 AM »

According to GM, 8200lbs. for a 2WD 1500 with 4:10 gears is the max. More than that. you need the 2500, good to 12,000lbs.

The VortecMAX 6.0 liter engine is rated at 345 horsepower, with 380 foot pounds of torque and GM's Web site says the four-wheel-drive 2006 Sierra 1500 4WD Crew Cab SLT - can pull 9,800 pounds, maximum. (The two-wheel-drive version can pull 10,100, the site says.) It's made in Oshawa, Ontario

I agree with AVid, if I wanted to tow I'd buy a 2500 crewcab I built.  chevy

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
tyrod

TPS-43E getting a sun tan.

Awards
« Reply #32 on: 02/11/06 11:41 PM »

Our trailers total approximate dry weight is 4439 lbs per brochure. Options add about 500 lbs and we probably add 600 lbs. of stuff when we travel. I do not like to haul water in the tank, so our total weight is about 5600 lbs. and I would suspect that on a long trip, we may add another 200 to 400 lbs.

6000 lbs. is about as much as I would care to tow and still be happy with the performance of my truck. The dyno tune helped tremendously.
« Last Edit: 02/12/06 09:53 AM by tyrod » Logged

2004 Z71, Victory Red, Fully loaded & GLAD to be CLAD.
Mods: K&N filter, FT Amber DRL's, All4onHigh, All4Brake&Turn, Magnaflow cat back.
Dyno tuned with LS1 edit. 243 hp/ 321 ft lbs torque @ rear wheel. (approx. 340hp/375ft lbs @ the flywheel)
2004 Mazda 3 five door, Velocity Red
2006 Trail-Cruiser 30QBSS 30' travel trailer
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 02/12/06 05:07 AM »

A 2500 Av.

Sorry, but that trailer is outside of any reasonable capability for a 1/2 ton. *Especially* when you consider that most trailers actually weigh more than the sticker claims.

that's what i think as well.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
zrdan

Mich-Placed Gator

WWW Awards
« Reply #34 on: 03/01/06 06:13 PM »

I pull a 30' with mine.  Just upgraded to a 2006 Prowler 300FQS from a 30' TrailLite 8304-S.  The TrailLite weight was around 5200 lbs normally loaded.  Pulled very easily.

The new Prowler weights 6800 dry, so I figure about 8000 lbs max loaded.  I won't be hauling water, grey or black waste, so I won't get close to the 9600lb max weight.

So far (one trip of 175 miles in lots of wind) my Av seemed to pull the trailer OK.  I always pull with tow/haul on and in 3rd gear, no faster than 60 to 65mph....maybe 70 on a downgrade.

I'll be OK for the amount that I haul the trailer....6 or 8 trips and a couple NASCAR parties each summer.

2004 Silver Birch Z-66 WBH - All Plastic Painted, Jesse Bubb Tuned PCM, Mag-Lite Mod, Rosen A-9 DVD, CubbyCam, and a bed full of bad Line Of Fire & Fire and Ice LED light bars.
zrdan

Mich-Placed Gator

WWW Awards
« Reply #35 on: 03/01/06 06:19 PM »

yes, NASCAR party, not NASCAR race.  My friends dig NASCAR, I dig the party!

2004 Silver Birch Z-66 WBH - All Plastic Painted, Jesse Bubb Tuned PCM, Mag-Lite Mod, Rosen A-9 DVD, CubbyCam, and a bed full of bad Line Of Fire & Fire and Ice LED light bars.
zrdan

Mich-Placed Gator

WWW Awards
« Reply #36 on: 03/02/06 02:32 PM »

I hope you heed everyon's warnings. A 30 foot trailer is too much for any half ton.

AVid

I disagree.  I pulled my "old" 30' Travel Trailer (2002 TrailLite 8304-S....true weight of 5475lbs loaded without any water/sewage) a total of about 9,000 miles over the past 5 summers without ANY problems.  First with my 2001 1500 Z-71, then with my 2004 Av....the Av actually pulled it better.  I just sold the TrailLite and got a 2006 30' Prowler, which I don't know the "true" weight yet, but according to the specs and my guesses, will weight 7400ish lbs loaded without water/sewage.  So far, I've pulled it about 150 miles in some NASTY cross winds, and the Av did OK.  Tow/Haul on, 3rd gear, 60-65mph tops.....not a problem.

If the person driving is familar with pulling a trailer, not in a hurry, and has a good weight dist. hitch and sway control, the 1500 Av will pull 8000 lbs without a problem (on occasion).  If I'm pulling 8000lbs everyday, I'm buying a big diesel, but for weekend camping trips or the occassional trip to Florida, my 1500 AV can and will do it.

P.S.  If your one of the ten million idiots that don't know how to accelerate on an entrance ramp to merge in front of me, get used to the ditch, cuz I ain't even trying to get out of the right lane when I'm pulling a 30'er at 62mph.

zrdan

Mich-Placed Gator

WWW Awards
« Reply #37 on: 03/02/06 02:49 PM »

.....oh yeah, I almost forgot.  I met an old guy last year at the NASCAR race in Michigan that pulls a HUGE 39' Travel Trailer (that's right boys and girls, 39 as in 1 less than 40) with two HUGE slide-outs WITH A CHEVY 2WD 1500!!

I couldn't believe it.  I don't know the trailer weight, but it had to be at least 10,000.  He had air assist in the rear of the truck, and a very good hitch/sway system.

If he wasn't a friend of mine's Dad, I would have sworn he was lying to me and stuck 1500 trim on a 2500.  He's pulled that trailer from Michigan to Arizona and back twice, and goes to 6 or 8 NASCAR races a year pulling it.  He claims he wasn't had any issues with the drivetrain....the truck had 60k on it.....a half those miles were pulling that friggin' hotel.

Slow your roll, stay out of overdrive, and keep the tow/haul button pressed!

gotmud

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 03/21/06 04:09 PM »

I also wish there was a way to get the AV to pull these big trailers.  I need it to pull a 30ft 8000lb 5th wheel but will probably have to sell....unless someone knows some magic that I dont.
Traz

WWW Awards
« Reply #39 on: 03/22/06 10:51 PM »

Sure you can tow it with the 1500. BUT, now ask if it is safe & what will it do to your truck.  You need a 2500 for that size.  Don't risk it.

11/23/02 2003 Black Onyx 2500 AV, Amber DRL's, Chrome raised cladding lettering, Fortified with ZAINO
Rdrunr

Red Avalanche, Red Mustang...what do I drive????

Awards
« Reply #40 on: 03/30/06 08:35 PM »

I pull a 30' Trail Cruiser with a slide with my '04 1500 Av. The trailer has a dry weight of 4400 lbs. We load enough "stuff" for sometimes 5 of us including coolers, firewood and bikes for all. I have towed to Maine with 10 days worth of "stuff" and maybe cruising at 70 MPH on the highway and have NEVER had a bit of problems. This trailer tows like a dream with my Avy!

'04 Av, Victory Red 1500, Z 71,Leather/ heated seats,  roof rack, running boards, Bose, XM radio, Sun and Sound package,drivers conv. package, Onstar, custom stripes,wind deflectors, AVALANCHE hood protector, Chrome CHEVROLET tailgate letters and Chrome AVALANCHE letters,Chrome BEZEL tail light trim

1996 Nissan Maxima, Bose, Leather, Sunroof

1966 Mustang Convertible, 289 V8, auto, Candy Apple Red w/ white top and red Pony interior

2004 Toyota Solara Ragtop, chrome rims, custom pinstripes,pearl/tan
cowtown_Z71

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 04/01/06 12:05 PM »

I tow a Jayco 29BHS, (30ft, 5600lbs dry); with my stock 03 1500 Z71 4:10's. On flat land , I feel pretty good about things. However, in the mountains, I wish I had more torque. I personally feel this is the absolute maximum capacity for the truck, in terms of safety, and mechanical longevity. I only do long trips through the rockies from Calgary to the B.C. interior 2 or 3 times per year. If I were towing more often, I would definitely trade in the AV for a 3/4 ton Duramax.

Try getting behind your brother in his big A-Class unit for drafting, turn up the tunes, and enjoy the mountains. Don't push it, you will certainly regret it.
cowtown_Z71

Awards
« Reply #42 on: 04/01/06 12:10 PM »

Sorry, wrong pic...That's a friend of mine..

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: