• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

front end noise

scottfurner

2002 chevy avalanche with front end noise.? Rotated tires, did not change noise.
"noise is a rotational sound or sounds that way" gradually getting worse.
Don't laugh but at 40mph the sound is grind...grind....grind....or ruuff.....ruuff.....ruuff. You get the point.? Jacked the truck up can't find any play in any thing.? Not brakes, dosen't feel like a wheel bearing.? Small whole in CV boot.? Pumped full of grease and sound did not let up at all.? Sorry sound sounds like it is coming from right front wheel.? May be a wheel bearing just not bad enough to get slap when jacked up.? When jacked up right front wheel does not spin as free and long as front left.? By the way just took off 22" wheels.? But the offset was almost identical to stock.

If any one has had this problem please let me know.? Im taking my children on a 8hr trip for christmas don't need to lose a wheel.

Thank You,
Scott Furner@hotmail.com

Exscuse me my girlfriend says it is not ruuff....ruffff...ruuffff...or.....grind....grind....she says it is woyw.....woyw.......woyw......woyw.....LOL......

Sounds like the bearing.  If appplying the brakes doesn't change the sound, it's not the brakes.

Here's a weird idea: how about a small rock stuck in the brake pads?  Any strange marks on the disk?

Good Luck!

Bruce

CV joint had hole?  they tend to click click when going bad......

could be front hub....(bearing)  jack truck up on side...
put long pry bar under tire...in air..and lift it up and let it back down...

have someone underneath....to look at suspension components to see if any ball joint or what not is bad...if none are bad and tire moves up and down a bunch and makes noise as you do it...it is the front hub (wheel bearing assy) going bad...more then likely

I've seen front diffs hang and constantly engage the half-shafts even though the transfer case wasn't engaged.? This tends to make the noise you mentioned.

I have a post going also that I started and it seems to be the same thing.  I had the wheel bearing replaced and no luck.  I had them put it back "like is was" as it was $443 that I did not need to spend.  Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow to get it looked at and hopefully diagnosed correctly and will let you know tomorrow what THEY say it is.

John

technical said:
I've seen front diffs hang and constantly engage the half-shafts even though the transfer case wasn't engaged.? This tends to make the noise you mentioned.
How do I check to see if this is infact happening.  Is there anything I can do.  Maybe engage and disengage the 4wd or back up or something.
Thanks,
Scott

Jack up the front end.  Spin the passenger side wheel and see if the front driveshaft and/or other wheel spins.  If so, then the diff is "stuck."

If this is the case, you'll need to have the differential serviced.  Unless you're confortable tearing apart the case.

My noise, as seemingly coming from the front drivers side, was ACTUALLY coming from the back!  The dealer kept my truck for 2 days and finally found the noice with a stethoscope (sp).  They pulled the drive shaft, replaced the LR axle and bearing and it is good as new.  $746.....

Anything new on yours?

John

What you are describing is  :E:EXACTLY:E: what I experienced with my '02 Z71. Rotated and balanced the tires several times, replaced the front wheel bearings etc. no luck. I have all of my work done at ElDorado Chevy in McKinney, TX. Their 4x4 expert checked the rear diff and found it was shot. The noise and vibrations were transmitted through the body in such a way that it seemed to be coming from the front. If you don't have it fixed already, get the rear end checked. I was lucky because the extended warranty hadn't run out and the $2000 repair only cost me a hundred bucks.

I have the same problem.....my 02 Z71 is going in for a once over on the 11th. I will have them check the rear diff. Thanks guys, this is a great forum! :B:

My 02 had the same problem last year. It was the front driverside wheel bearings.I had a new hub assembly put on and now 4 months later it is bad again.  Going in today to have it replaced again. I have towonder if this new "wheel pack" is really better then the old traditional wheel bearings. They seemed to last forever, these new things seem to be a pain in he rump.

Back