• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Tailgate won't open

sennister

CRAP!!!! I'm moving a bunch of stuff to the new house today and went to open my tailgate so I could throw a few things back there. It won't budge. I'm thinking it may be just frozen but I'm not sure. I'll have to park the truck in the heated garage or pole barn overnight to see if it will open up. It's not locked it just won't open. I can hear the latches functioning so I think the seal is just frozen to the tailgate. We have had a lot of snow and rain lately so it is very possible. I haven't been in there for a while. The big problem is that I'm getting ready to beta test a new tail gate camera setup so I really need to get into the tailgate. At least that won't be this weekend as I don't have the parts yet.

Do a search for it....

there are i think 2-3 threads on this with replies by members who figured out how to open them when stuck.......

iforget what it is...

Climb in through midgate.
Have person on outside lift latch.
and KICK!
It'll probably pop right open.

or alternate method.
Take Credit Card/DL whatever.  Run along edge of seal.  That will break the ice and it will pop open that way too.

JW

I'll go with that alternate method. Or just let it set in the sun for a bit if there's any warmth to speak of.

Forcing it could tear the seal.

I think I've mentioned it before, but, when you get it open, put a light coat of WD-40 on the seals. I've been doing that for several years now and my tailgate and doors don't give me any trouble anymore.

AVid

The old warm water trick may be the quickest and easiest way in, too.

Yeah, since I'm not in a hurry it will have to go in the garage for a while. I just wanted to put a block of wood in there that I was going to put under the jack on the trailer. Since it was stuck closed I just put it on the floor in the back seat area. It was no big deal. Like I said I will have to get in there to do the tailgate camera but that project isn't on the slate for this weekend.

Oh I guess I should let you know the results of this. It was the seal frozento the tailgate. It warmed up enough to open the other day so I didn't have to pull it into the garage. I have been swamped with the new job and my wife has a cold so as soon as I walk through the door I get the baby so she can go to sleep. So I haven't been on here much this week. Anyhow all is fixed. I figured it was just froze shut but I wanted to close this out.

Oh and it has been lubed with WD-40 so I should be fine for the rest of the winter.

I hope it is just frozen, mine won't open and there is no way to get into it.  If bed covers are on, rear ones wont release, you have to remove latches to open.  Even when cover is off, you cannot access the upper corner bolts on the inside tailgate panel to remove it. If you do get it open, the only way to access the lock is from the outside of the vehicle. This involves removing the top plastic panel from the gate which is held on by 2 way scotch automotive tape and is almost impossible to get off without damaging the panel.  There is one speed nut on the inside of the gate which also has to be removed along with a few plastic push in pins.  The handle and lock assembly go in and out from the outside of the tailgate.  Good luck!

Besides the fact that you are replying to a 12 year old thread, you can get to it by going through the midgate.  There are 3 torx head bolts that you can remove from inside the bed and then the outer cover can be removed.

The timing of bringing back this thread is kind of good.  My tailgate froze shut last.  I tried to get in the back after our belated Christmas with my brother-in-law's family and no dice.  Tried hitting with WD-40 - not really expecting much but as a last ditch.  Good thing it's and Avy vs. a High Dessert Avy wannabe - opened the mid-gate and put the presents in that way.  I did crawl in the back and kicked on the tailgate hoping to free it up but to no avail. 

Same thin happened a couple weeks ago in the deep freeze.  I hit it with lubricant when it thawed out hoping to prevent a repeat but obviously that didn't do the trick.

Well I do not have to deal with the cold like the ones east of me.
I use a seal conditioner or silicon spray this has helped me when
the ice and snow shows up here. The bad thing here is it will freeze and
thaw and over and over.

enoniam said:
I have more issues with my doors freezing than the tailgate.

I do the same for all my seals.

Just in case someone on the internet has this problem the way it happened to me, I will let my story out there. I blew my drivers front tire on the freeway, and the impact of it broke the little plastic clip that the actual metal bar hooks on to on the latches. Literally had to hop inside, take apart the handle inside out, blindly tried hooking back on the metal bar that actually pulls open the latch, and once I magically opened it, rigged it with rebar wire so it doesnt unhook again. Hopefully no one has to go through this like me in the palm springs summer

Back