Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 15  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What Do You Have In Your Side Compartments?  (Read 100444 times)

Dj_Genesis

Re: What Do You Have In Your Side Compartments?
« Reply #25 on: 09/05/02 04:26 PM »

Lets see, on one side, i have an army blanket, 2 towels, bathing suit, pool stick, and ponchos.  On the other side, flashlight, trailer stuff, 100' of rope, and space for beer.

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
  • Forethought is better than afterthought
« Reply #26 on: 09/07/02 04:14 AM »

Recovery straps, tree strap, turnbuckles, snatch block, flares, assorted hand tools, jumpers and a whole lot of very fine dust!  
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!

PUNISHER

« Reply #27 on: 09/07/02 04:07 PM »

i keep my trailering accessories, tie down straps, and those seat covers & floor mats they use at the dealership service department in the driver side compartment.  on the other side i have shop towels, nitrile rubber gloves, heavy duty wet wipes, and a pair of 36" bolt cutters ( wife had my Av and got locked in a fenced in storage building: luckily she was small enough to squeeze through the gate to give me a call). :B:
« Last Edit: 08/30/03 12:42 PM by 02-Z66 »
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

got_change

« Reply #28 on: 09/08/02 01:58 PM »

razorback,  sports authority sells "crush coolers, the are like a duffel bag with a zipper, and will fit in boxes...will keep em cold for two days!!!

Razorback

« Reply #29 on: 09/08/02 02:39 PM »

Thanks for the info got_change.  I looked at their web site and did not see anything that fits the bill.  Is there a particular brand, size, or model number to look for?

Any thoughts on a modification to insulate the around the bin?  There are drainage and "water management" issues to consider, but I might look into the feasibility of shooting some expanable foam in there.

Ambalanche

• I love my 5th Ambalanche!
« Reply #30 on: 09/08/02 04:55 PM »

Nothing, they come in handy for wet things when I go to the beach, or for my Lab's toys when I've been throwing them in the water for her. Drain holes are fantastic! :B:
My Fith AV!
'07 Chevy Avalanche Black Z71
LT3, Z71Pkg, Nav,Bose, Backup Camera, Roof, Rear Entertainment, Rack & Bars, Black w/Ebony-Light Titanium interior.
I had 0ne of the first in Mobile, Al.'02 Cladded Indigo Blue Z-66. Loved the Stares I got, now I'm not as radical, but still cool! ;-)~ Just moved back to Pensacola, Fl.

capman

« Reply #31 on: 05/02/03 05:43 AM »

the backside of the light for the bed is in the compartment. does the ice affect the light when you use the compartment as a cooler?

ChevyThunder

• CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member
  • RESULTS...NOT EXCUSES!!!
« Reply #32 on: 05/02/03 05:58 AM »

I use my passenger side storage for emergency stuff..jack, cables, crago stuff(straps,chains etc..) and on the other side I carry detail stuf...however...

Last weekend on a cruise I packed it with ice and soda. I put two bags of ice and 2 twelve packs in there. The ice lasted all day. Average temp outside was about 75-80.
Drained just fine, but depending on how your AV is sittiing, there is no telling where the drip will come from.

AWESOME!!
2004 Victory Red Z71
2008 Blue Granite Metallic 3LT Z71

fsuguy

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: 05/02/03 05:59 AM »

talk about a thread that comes back from the dead. it's 8 months since the last post.

I'll add:
Tire pump, waterblade, towels, Z6, blanket, battery cables and MAG lite. Plenty of room left for beer and ice.

'78 CORVETTE

RichUF

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • UNP1MPD
« Reply #34 on: 05/02/03 06:00 AM »

driver's side:  3M quick detailer, glass cleaner, synth chamois in a tube, Trimshine, ziplock bag of microfiber towels, glass towels, and assorted adjustable bungee straps.

passenger's side:  ratchet/tool set, jumper cables, maglite (brinkman actually), and, of course, standard issue tire changing stuff.

I've been waiting for so long to be able to post to this topic!  ;D ;D ;D
[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]

kcfunke

« Reply #35 on: 05/02/03 11:13 AM »

I have jumper cables,tire changing stuff, tow straps, tie downs, fire extinguisher, maglite, shovel, gloves, cleaning supplies, towels, tri-ball hitch, change of clothes, spare pair of shoes and still have room for more!
03 Arrival Blue Z71; Mods: Line-X, bug deflector, weathertech visors, fire extinguisher, flashlight, rear seat headrests, painted bowtie, vinyl cladding letters, rear seat cover and pads, painted tailgate handle, and.....

avaeverafter

• Avalanche!!! What else is there???
« Reply #36 on: 05/02/03 12:59 PM »

Toilet paper, You never know. Came in handy in the past. Folding shovel,Tow straps and battery jumper.
« Last Edit: 05/02/03 01:00 PM by avaeverafter »

Jester

« Reply #37 on: 05/02/03 01:36 PM »

Hmmm...2 cans of tire sealant, fire extinguisher, MaGuire's detail products, tire dressing, tiedown straps, first aid kit, coveralls - hey, you never know when you have to stop and help someone fix their Ford!    
2002 2WD Avalanche, ZQ1 suspension, bucket seats, running boards.  Mods include K&N FIPK, Niche Shok 18" wheels, Xenon headlamps, re-programmed ECU.

avking

• Say Hello to Moose!
« Reply #38 on: 05/02/03 02:56 PM »

Drivers side: Desert Eagle Mark XIX .50AE, KABar Knife, First Aid Kit, 4CELL MAG Lite Mod, Hiking Boots

Pass Side: Tow Straps, HD Air Comp, Tire Deflator, Tire Guage, Shovel, Trailer Hitch and Ball
My New Toy:
1995 Hummer H1

My Old Ride:
2004 Summit White 2500 AV - 6" RCD Lift - 16x8 MT Classic Locks w/ 35" Baja Claws - Westin Bull Bar & Fuel Door - Rear Diamond Plate - NAV System - Sill Plates - Cargo Deck - Dual Camera Backup System - Manik Polished Step Bars & Taillight Guards - Putco Blue Flame Grille - Bed Rack w/ Yakima Basket - Rear Window Flag - Billet Bowtie - Solid Billet Flame Door Handles - Twin Headrest Monitors, PS2 & DVD

http://www.PictureTrail.com/avking or www.mycoolcabin.com

AtomTaz

« Reply #39 on: 05/03/03 08:31 AM »

Oil, washer fluid, breaker bar with extinsion and soket, fist aid kit (I read the book alread in it, it tells you how to fix a broken leg  ;D.  Anyone need my help), tie downs, rope.  tow rope.  That is all in the passengers side.

Drivers side has a Tennis Raquet, Racketball racket and some tennis balls and racket balls.  

I have but Ice in mine before and it works really good and it doesn't hurt your eletrical at all.  the only thing I would say is that you need some kind of plug for the hole cause things would stay cooler if you could leave the cold water in there. the water leaks out as it melts.

chadx

« Reply #40 on: 05/04/03 06:28 AM »

AvKing:  .50AE D.Eagle.  Now THAT would be a handy item in the side compartment!

When my Av comes, I'll probably keep the things in there that I currently keep in a container in my truck bed.  jumper cables, trailer ball hitch, tools, TP,  old overshirt and jackets to keep from getting dirty if need be, warm clothes in winter.

I didn't see in any or the responses when I skimmed them...can some of the smaller fold up lawn chairs fit in there? you know, the canvus ones with the expanding/contracting framework. some of those are pretty compact and I always carry a couple of those around.

I will be interested in hear how the 'insulating' project turns out (the one fellow that was considering foaming the outside to gain some insulating properties. I never looked from underneath. is that area accesible from under the bed or is it blocked off? good idea if you can get to it. Even a full compartement of ice won't last more than a day on a summer camping trip.

Biggie

• GOBUCKEYES
« Reply #41 on: 05/04/03 08:19 AM »

All we have in the side compartment are a tow rope   ::) to pull stupid fords out of the ditch lol. and some tools thats about it :D

Proud Member Of The BoilerMakers Local 696 Union

The Dude

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • GO BIG BLUE
« Reply #42 on: 05/04/03 11:15 AM »

I have a 12 pack in the box (it fits) in there most of the time. Plus bungee cords (lots), tow strap, tool kits, fire extinquisher, umbrellas, rope, emergency flashlights, gallon of water, MREs
Bose, its just plain blows!

sparky

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • Put on your seatbelt, I'm gonna try sumthin'
« Reply #43 on: 05/04/03 02:16 PM »

chadx, I have not put one in, but I am sure that the ones that come in the canvass bag will fit. I put a snow scraper and a wash brush both in there and they are at least two feet long (the upper part of the box is very long)
On the passenger side is stock plus some stuff relating to the wheels.
Drivers side has snow scraper, brush, Calafornia duster, 3m wipes and several other cleaning products, and the most used item a water blade.
BUT my newest purchase was today. I have to believe that others of you have the frustration that I have when washing the AV. I take the water off with a water blade, then take towels to complete the job, and then it seems no matter what I do, if I drive the truck in the next few hours water runs out from under the mirrors, door handles and cargo lids and streaks the sides  :7: :8: Drove me NUTS. A person from this club put me onto the idea of using a leaf blower to get the water out. Sounds crazy, and the neighbors thing you've lost it  :2: but it works.
That said it was kind of a pain to dig the thing out and get an extention cord, etc. etc.  And what do you do at the carwash when you are not in your driveway ???
So I went in search for a solution. I needed power, and I needed air.
After considering several options including power converters I found a portable air pump  :o. You can charge it off 12volt or regular 110. Then I got a straight adapter piece (plastic) that is not very tappered to fit on the end of the air hose. Now when I'm done blading I can just grab this out of the side box and shoot air around all of the openings before using towels.
I am such a happy man!!
« Last Edit: 05/04/03 03:08 PM by sparky »
Sig Pic removed Exceeded file size limit of 30kb

02 blk Z71 Born 06/01 K&N Gen2, HF flow exh., drop kit, cladding paint, Cargopro, TOGs, Whipple S/C, Whip tuner, ramair hood, Stripeman Z71, 20" Epic Blitz, 22" Players, Stull grl, custom BT, JVC 12 disc cd, spoiler, sunvsr, sail window, SLP Rockers, much more..
PictureTrail Gallery

jamesf

• #4:10 H3T Slantback! #3:07 LTZ #2:05 Z71 LT #1:Z71
« Reply #44 on: 05/04/03 03:53 PM »

Crammed with with stuff...I only wish they didn't taper at the top; I've scratched myself more than once digging in there...

I've also filled one with ice a few times to amuse folks at picnics/tail gate parties.

But normally...

3 recover straps
1 tow rope
8ft of heavy chain
3 clevis hooks
2 eye hooks
2 30,000lb shackles (big)
a clevis receiver hitch thingy to pull from the back with (HiddenHitch.com)
a bag of various cotter pins
a cheap multi-tool
2 cans tire sealant/inflator
1 can of highly reflective spray paint
some epoxy
a small tarp; maybe 2...
first aid kit
road reflector & one of those fun traffic cone flash lights
a dozen or so zip lock bags for those 'extra' parts left over from a road repair
a few pairs of gloves (heavy,rubber,fabric)
hand wipes and goop (oil remover)
windshield fluid
3 or 4 small bottles of water

A lot of that is stuffed into individual clear-plastic bags or large zip locks; shortly after getting the Av I noticed that dust gets in through the drain on the bottom; a one way drain plug would have been nice; I suppose I could line it with a piece of rubber...

and on the other side.. !!!

Big thin tool kit
a bag of bungies, tie downs and ratchet straps
a 12v compressor
a kit with two fold up metal traction strips (unbelievable folded up)
and a sleve of platic glasses to toast with friends when we get someone way out there...

I keep the Maglight in the cab where you can get it quickly; I have a window breaker in the cab too but if it goes flying that nice heavy Maglight would take care of a window pretty quick; I don't see keeping it in the side compartment very handy unless you only need it for tail gate parties.

I try not to keep anything I'd need overnight when camping in there because when you put the Av's bed tent up you lose access to the side bins.

It might sound like a lot of that stuff is for off-roading; but noooo.  I drive around the city with that load; it's just a road kit for that one time someone needs it.  I have two really large rubbermaid bins full of the real offroad gear; more recovery equipment, tools, tarps, supplies and then a collection of large things like a couple of shovels (yea, two shovels...why should I be the only one digging this thing out - if your navigation was so [bleep] fantastic would we need two shovels right now?), a 4', 8000lb high-lift jack, a heavy pry bar.

A chain saw (don't think that'll fit in the side...) and a heavy duty come-a-long winch are on my wish list this summer.
« Last Edit: 05/04/03 03:55 PM by jamesf »
...jamesf

jamesf

• #4:10 H3T Slantback! #3:07 LTZ #2:05 Z71 LT #1:Z71
« Reply #45 on: 05/04/03 03:53 PM »

Crammed with with stuff...I only wish they didn't taper at the top; I've scratched myself more than once digging in there...

I've also filled one with ice a few times to amuse folks at picnics/tail gate parties.

But normally...

3 recover straps
1 tow rope
8ft of heavy chain
3 clevis hooks
2 eye hooks
2 30,000lb shackles (big)
a clevis receiver hitch thingy to pull from the back with (HiddenHitch.com)
a bag of various cotter pins
a cheap multi-tool
2 cans tire sealant/inflator
1 can of highly reflective spray paint
some epoxy
a small tarp; maybe 2...
first aid kit
road reflector & one of those fun traffic cone flash lights
a dozen or so zip lock bags for those 'extra' parts left over from a road repair
a few pairs of gloves (heavy,rubber,fabric)
hand wipes and goop (oil remover)
windshield fluid
3 or 4 small bottles of water

A lot of that is stuffed into individual clear-plastic bags or large zip locks; shortly after getting the Av I noticed that dust gets in through the drain on the bottom; a one way drain of a plug would have been nice; I suppose I could line it with a piece of rubber...

and on the other side.. !!!

Big thin tool kit
a bag of bungies, tie downs and ratchet straps
a 12v compressor
a kit with two fold up metal traction strips (unbelievable folded up)
and a sleve of platic glasses to toast with friends when we get someone way out there...

I keep the Maglight in the cab where you can get it quickly; I have a window breaker in the cab too but if it goes flying that nice heavy Maglight would take care of a window pretty quick; I don't see keeping it in the side compartment very handy unless you only need it for tail gate parties.

I try not to keep anything I'd need overnight when camping in there because when you put the Av's bed tent up you lose access to the side bins.

It might sound like a lot of that stuff is for off-roading; but noooo.  I drive around the city with that load; it's just a road kit for that one time someone needs it.  I have two really large rubbermaid bins full of the real offroad gear; more recovery equipment, tools, tarps, supplies and then a collection of large things like a couple of shovels (yea, two shovels...why should I be the only one digging this thing out - if your navigation was so [bleep] fantastic would we need two shovels right now?), a 4', 8000lb high-lift jack, a heavy pry bar.

A chain saw (don't think that'll fit in the side...) and a heavy duty come-a-long winch are on my wish list this summer.
...jamesf

paulb

• Why didn't they make this truck 20 years ago!!!!
« Reply #46 on: 05/26/03 02:59 AM »

Let's push this back up to the top. ;D

Drivers side

3 bags of tools
Roll of shop towels
Windex
Long ice and snow scraper
First aid kit
Fire extingusher
3 liters H20
(My Mag Light is mounted in the cab)

Pax side

30' jumpers
30' 3/8" chain
30' tow strap
Foul Weather gear
Boots
10' x 10' Tarp

Has anyone been able to figure out a way to fit the panel storage bag into one of the storage compartments??  Or am I just being a dope.

Not always right, but never in doubt.

PUNISHER

« Reply #47 on: 05/30/03 01:48 PM »

here's what's in my storage boxes:

- 35' tow strap
- hitch/ball/trailer wire adapter
- tie down straps
- bungee cords
- service dept floor mat & seat cover (when i am  dirty)
- bolt cutter's
- rubber gloves
- hand cleaner/rags
- Mag Lite

i like that wet weather suit idea.  i will have to put one in there. ???
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

blackice

« Reply #48 on: 06/03/03 01:46 PM »

two 30 packs of keystone and a lot of ice.  pretty cool that the compartments have holes for the water to drain in.  Perfect for camping trips!

EarthQuake

« Reply #49 on: 06/03/03 01:51 PM »

Maglite, fire extinguisher, Lug wrench, tow straps, tie down straps, blanket, gloves, first aid kit, rain jacket
...I think there's more stuff, I'll have to inventory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 15  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 23 queries.