Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/30/14 04:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Poll
Question: What Kind Of License Plate Does Your AV have?
Truck - 216 (57.8%)
Car - 86 (23%)
Specialized Plate Doesn't Say - 72 (19.3%)
Total Voters: 373

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Or Truck License Plates?  (Read 34400 times)
rustaholic

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #125 on: 03/02/07 02:40 PM »

Thanks Maverick1974 for the welcome.  I had a 75 Ranchero (with a heated tailgate to keep your hands warm in the winter while pushing it) and had the same problem with the plates as you have with the ElCamino, maybe that's why this is so personal to me.  I'll check out the Keystone Av Club.  Thanks again!   Wave   
Ra

Awards
« Reply #126 on: 03/02/07 03:09 PM »

I have car plates on my Av here in NY, but that's only 'cause the dealer transferred them from my old '96 Ranger to the Av. Don't know how long it'll take for the DMV to send me commercial plates.
  Looks kinda funny sitting there with car plates on it.

'03 1500 Z71 4x4. White w/ black cladding. Tinted Windows, Leather, Sunroof, Roof Rack, Ambers, pretty much all stock (for now)
Dupont 24

I like BIG Trucks!

WWW Awards
« Reply #127 on: 03/10/07 04:01 AM »

In Pennsylvania any vehicle with a gross weight of 7,000 pounds or more require a truck plate and registration.
The gross weight of the 1500 Av is 7,000 pounds.

02' Av 1500 Z71 Light Pewter.
Biker Trash

Let's do it in the snow!

Awards
« Reply #128 on: 03/11/07 08:15 AM »

In Wisconsin it can registered as either.  the Avalanche has an stock enclosed cargo area, so it can be classified as an SUV which uses car plates here.  For us the big difference is the registration fee, $30 more a year for a truck.  I have EMT plates, which can go either trucks or cars, so it just didn't make sense for me to register it as a truck.

2005 Avalanche LT Z71 4x4
Jock191

Awards
« Reply #129 on: 03/08/09 03:12 AM »

Here is the WORST thing about living in the City of Chicago. When I first got my avy in 03 I transferred my plates from my 85 blazer to it which were regular car plates. Now I'm rocking US Marine plates which go for either truck of car. This part doesn't have to do with a plate but a city sticker. In chicago you have to have a city sticker. The prices are as followed. For a passanger car its $75.00 for a Large passanger its $120 and for a truck its $180 a yr.  In the state of IL my Avy has a register body style of PASS CAR wouldn't that mean that I shouldn't have to get a truck sticker? Not only that if I can have regular plates on the Avy how can they make me pay $180 every summer for a stupid truck sticker? Sorry about the rant.

2002 Z71 Forest Green. MagnaFlow True Dual exhaust. Still havent hit 100,000 miles yet. Very close though.
thundr306

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #130 on: 03/08/09 06:18 PM »

Anybody else have car plates on their Av? Mine is titled as a SW. Every other one I see around here has truck plates. Makes registration alot cheaper! Sorry, didn't see this post first.
« Last Edit: 03/08/09 06:30 PM by thundr306 » Logged
TheGame

Time To Play The Game!

Awards
« Reply #131 on: 03/09/09 03:14 PM »

Just got my PA title today in the mail.  Truck plates listed as truck on the title.

2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z71, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, Sylvania Ultra Headlights/Fog lights, Sylvania FTDRLs, Optima Red Top, Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X592 head unit, Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X1710 speakers, LED Taillights and Bumper Light Bar, Chrome Gas Door.
Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #132 on: 03/10/09 04:34 AM »

My registration says truck as does the title. We used to have letters or numbers first for cars and the other way for trucks but now they are random. The truck designation may make a difference on insurance costs, trucks are usually cheaper to insure. 

Michigan- For model years 1984 and newer, the vehicle registration is based on the manufacturer's suggested retail (or base) price (ad valorem). Registrations for models 1983 or older are based on the vehicle's weight. Minimum $50.00

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #133 on: 03/10/09 03:15 PM »

Reg says SUV but plates are the same as a cars plate in NY. Its either a passenger vehicle or commercial vehicle here.

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
pmb123

Awards
« Reply #134 on: 08/07/09 08:54 AM »

IN PA they are trucks and have the truck plate.
gn85

I love the AUTOBAHN!

Awards
« Reply #135 on: 08/07/09 09:39 AM »

My old Maryland plates had "T" for truck, but now I have the Agricultural Ed. tags and the lady at MVA told me the letters are random.  But on the registration, it's still a truck.

These are the Ag tags.

Chris
2003 Chevy Avalanche Z71... finally!!
1987 Buick Grand National
Support Education
firemedic84

Awards
« Reply #136 on: 08/10/09 05:29 PM »

In Alabama they don't differentiate between cars and trucks on the tags. I've got a specialty Firefighter tag. I tried to attach a pic but the file was too large. So here's the link to it.

http://www.ador.state.al.us/motorvehicle/firefighter.htm

Here's a link to all the specialty tags for Alabama.

http://www.ador.state.al.us/motorvehicle/specialty.html

2002 LPM Z-71 Loaded, Ambers, Flowmaster 50 Series, Bugflector, Ventvisors, Tinted windows, 8000k HIDs in Lows and Fogs, Saddlebag Maglite, Fire extinguisher, Memphis Audio replacement speakers, and Toyo Open Country 265/75 R17.
gn85

I love the AUTOBAHN!

Awards
« Reply #137 on: 08/10/09 05:43 PM »

In Alabama they don't differentiate between cars and trucks on the tags. I've got a specialty Firefighter tag. I tried to attach a pic but the file was too large. So here's the link to it.

http://www.ador.state.al.us/motorvehicle/firefighter.htm

Here's a link to all the specialty tags for Alabama.

http://www.ador.state.al.us/motorvehicle/specialty.html

Y'all have a lot of cool tags.  Maybe this should be a new thread.

Chris
2003 Chevy Avalanche Z71... finally!!
1987 Buick Grand National
Support Education
firemedic84

Awards
« Reply #138 on: 08/10/09 06:26 PM »

Y'all have a lot of cool tags.  Maybe this should be a new thread.

Thanks. I like em. I'm relatively new to the site, so I'm not exactly sure what would be a good start to a thread. You should start it! I'll definitely contribute to it!

2002 LPM Z-71 Loaded, Ambers, Flowmaster 50 Series, Bugflector, Ventvisors, Tinted windows, 8000k HIDs in Lows and Fogs, Saddlebag Maglite, Fire extinguisher, Memphis Audio replacement speakers, and Toyo Open Country 265/75 R17.
Morley

Knight Industries Two Thousand and Somethin'

Awards
« Reply #139 on: 08/11/09 10:36 AM »

In Nova Scotia, we have a universal non-commercial vehicle plate. They are sequential. The difference is in the regestration. Due to the weight of the vehicle, my AV is classed as a commercial vehicle, however I do not have commercial plates.

Just another way to try and confuse us I guess. Just like my last car. It was a 2007 Impala. I went to have it registered upon purchase. "I'm sorry sir, there's no such thing as silver in Nova Scotia. Your car is grey" Well, that instantly takes some 'bling' from your ride.  I used to have a purple ScumBird way back. It was tagged red. I don't know if we have just the primary colours here or what.

And yes, that's how we spell colour. Smiley
~M

2005 No-Clad 1500LT 5.3
FTDRLs, Eight in your face on High, Silverstar Ultras, Aftermarket Chrome Grille, Custom 5X 100w 6" round Roof Lights, K&N Drop-In, Cherry Bomb Exhaust, Tailgate stencil 'If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them', Door badges 'KNIGHT Edition', ProComp Mud Terrains 285/75/16, front level.

I thought WBH was Wanna Be Hummer. Who knew? Smiley
D-Loc

High Rider

WWW Awards
« Reply #140 on: 08/11/09 03:26 PM »

Custom plates  Thumbs up!

Veteran plates along with the custom lettering

04 Avy, 6" Lift, BOSE system with Two 10" kickers, 1200w PT amp

Go Halos!!!!
Cardomain
Myspace
brad0109

Awards
« Reply #141 on: 08/19/09 09:10 AM »

Hi there
I am here in Ontario Canada and you can have either plate on your vehical.  I asked at the MTO and it all goes by the ownership and what it is clasifed as at the dealer. chevy
Morley

Knight Industries Two Thousand and Somethin'

Awards
« Reply #142 on: 10/07/09 11:16 AM »

Hey Brad. Welcome to the crew.

Are you absolutely positive though? You can notice a distinct difference between Ontario plates.  Car = 111 AAA Truck AAA A11=  Van = AAA 111
I just thought that was a mandatory thing.

~Morley

Hi there
I am here in Ontario Canada and you can have either plate on your vehical.  I asked at the MTO and it all goes by the ownership and what it is clasifed as at the dealer. chevy

2005 No-Clad 1500LT 5.3
FTDRLs, Eight in your face on High, Silverstar Ultras, Aftermarket Chrome Grille, Custom 5X 100w 6" round Roof Lights, K&N Drop-In, Cherry Bomb Exhaust, Tailgate stencil 'If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them', Door badges 'KNIGHT Edition', ProComp Mud Terrains 285/75/16, front level.

I thought WBH was Wanna Be Hummer. Who knew? Smiley
tritonboulder47

Awards
« Reply #143 on: 10/07/09 03:40 PM »

The AV is a truck and should be registered as such...  Here in PA, stock plates from Harrisburg for truck start with a "Y" as in YAA-1111...  But even if you have a custom plate, it's still registered in Harrisburg as a truck. 

Rollin' in my 2 Z's
2003 LPM Cladded Av Z71 5.3L 4X4 - 1985 Camaro Z28 Tuned Port 5.0L

911 Calltaker / Dispatcher, Volunteer Fire Fighter & Fire Policeman, Volunteer Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Guru
Ghostdiver
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Awards
« Reply #144 on: 10/09/09 08:14 PM »

FWIW, when I transferred the registration from Montana to Texas, I was given the option to title it as car or truck.  Cost was the same, so since I already had a car in Texas, I had to have a truck....

Wonder what plates are on my wife's Murano???

that would have been cute.....if I would have got "car" plates for the Ava and the Murano has truck plates....

Think I would have been kicked out of the state for that one...

2006 SRM Avalanche LT Z71 (cladded, FTA/DRL's, 4OH, SStars (H/L/F/Turn), Escalade Plat cluster)
1997 Camaro Z28 (HPIII, K&N FIPK, Suncoast Ram Air hood)
1965 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight (58k orig miles all restored)
woodchuck

2003 Avalanche Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #145 on: 10/24/09 04:50 AM »

In Nova Scotia, we have a universal non-commercial vehicle plate. They are sequential. The difference is in the regestration. Due to the weight of the vehicle, my AV is classed as a commercial vehicle, however I do not have commercial plates.

Just another way to try and confuse us I guess. Just like my last car. It was a 2007 Impala. I went to have it registered upon purchase. "I'm sorry sir, there's no such thing as silver in Nova Scotia. Your car is grey" Well, that instantly takes some 'bling' from your ride.  I used to have a purple ScumBird way back. It was tagged red. I don't know if we have just the primary colours here or what.

And yes, that's how we spell colour. Smiley
~M

You know, I was going to argue that point until I thought first I should check my registration Smiley It shows "Class 20" which on the back reads as "Commercial Truck". Which is good news, since I have commercial insurance on it, which is cheaper that car insurance. However, if you talk to RevenueCanada (tax man) about claiming your AV as one of your work vehicles, you might have a fight on your hands. Depending on who you talk to, they may look at it as a SUV. If its got 4 doors and seating front and rear, its a passenger vehicle in their eyes.

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.WoodchuckCanuck.com
DrGixxer

Awards
« Reply #146 on: 04/27/11 06:25 AM »

I notice most PA Avalanches are tagged as trucks.  I've had my 2004 AV since 2006 and traded a truck in for it, tried to transfer the truck tags and had to buy new car tags instead because DMV classified it as a station wagon.  I'm not complaining because I only pay $36 year to renew and don't need a weight sticker. 

I just find it odd that so many others were forced to use truck tags when I tried to use them.  Guess we should never try to figure out a state run agency?? banghead
old-chevy-dude

Awards
« Reply #147 on: 04/27/11 08:40 AM »

I received Commercial plates for my AV, in CA anything over 6,000 pounds and has a cab separate from the truck bed/back is classified as Commercial, so a Burb might weigh the same, but it is classified as a passenger vehicle because it is enclosed.

however as I am disabled I can get a weight waiver for the $186 commercial classification so I had the DP plates put on the AV last week, lowed my registration from $590 to $400, so I'll take the savings, because the only thing commercial plates offer me here in CA is the ability to park for 20 min in a loading zone without getting a ticket, and the last time I needed to do that was..... well never.. 

grendel

Awards
« Reply #148 on: 04/29/11 07:54 PM »

Mine is titled in CA as a commercial vehicle.  Didn't realize that was the criteria used for parking in loading zones.  Apparently residential alleys as well, as my neighbor watched a parking cop check my plate on my alley parked Av (marked "no parking") and drive on.

2003 2wd 1500 Av Dark Spiral Gray w/ 6" RCD lift and 315/75R16 Pro-Comp X A/T's
Currently call sunny Southern California home (Santa Monica).  Planning a move to Seattle in 2012.
beserkur

Awards
« Reply #149 on: 04/30/11 03:58 PM »

Here in Quebec,if it's not a commercial vehicle,you get car plates.weight not withstanding.

2005 Avalanche
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: