Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash Vibration and Bouncy Truck  (Read 22384 times)

MR.SMITH

Re: Dash Vibration and Bouncy Truck
« Reply #25 on: 12/12/05 08:27 PM »

Mine has a little shimmy at 70 and everyone said they needed to be road forced balanced. When I got them rotated it stoped so apparently I moved the unbalanced tire to the back. I guess I need to find time to get them balanced. :P
Also if you have a husband or another male in your life you might want to take them with you. I dont feel this way and hate to admit it but alot of men will treat a woman like an idiot when it come to automobiles. I hope you have better luck. If you need any help just let me know.

brittbeitz

• GO VOLS!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: 12/13/05 05:42 AM »

Thank you so much everybody for all of your help.   :D  Hopefully I will find a solution to my problem soon!    >:(
2003 Victory Red Chevy Av - Z-71

Eddy_O

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!
« Reply #27 on: 12/14/05 03:02 AM »

I have a tapping sound that comes from the space between the windshield and the front fenders caused by a small piece of plastic that bounces up and down with the wind didn't know what it was at first thought it was in the dash and found it one day in the summer when it was warmer and bounced faster.  I hope it is the same for you put a Velcro dot under it and it stays in place now.

Hi Ho Eddy "O"

brittbeitz

• GO VOLS!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: 12/15/05 01:34 PM »

I have a tapping sound that comes from the space between the windshield and the front fenders caused by a small piece of plastic that bounces up and down with the wind didn't know what it was at first thought it was in the dash and found it one day in the summer when it was warmer and bounced faster.  I hope it is the same for you put a Velcro dot under it and it stays in place now.

Hi Ho Eddy "O"

I'll have to check that out.  Thansk for the advice.
2003 Victory Red Chevy Av - Z-71

1turfman454

« Reply #29 on: 01/11/06 09:52 AM »

I have the same bouncy treuck issue to. It seems to come from the rear. THe best way to descibe it is like being in a boat crossing a wake.I took it it to the dealership today and they claim  it is the tires. I think it is more of a suspension issue. Any ideas guys? It is most noticable at highway speeds an I could use new tires but I dont think that is the issue

03whitediamond

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
  • Nothings finer than Carolina Blueskies!
« Reply #30 on: 01/11/06 10:42 AM »

Turfman...........If it's time for the tires that's the route I'd head toward. The tires may have been damaged while stopping from a high rate of speed avoiding an accident, etc.  Previous owner issues, etc. Flat spots left in the aftermath of a skid can ruin a brand new set of tires. If you need tires ..........Stay away from Walmart or a least be prepared for balance issues. Remember that Walmart and Sam's club tires often have either no milage warranties at all or less than comparable brands from a dealer.  Many of these offerings are private labeled manufactured by major brand companies for Sams, Walmart, ie. . Most often it's old technology, design and compounds being used in these tires. Even if they have BFG, Goodyear, Michelin stamped on the sidewalls. There not the same products. They are private labled for mass merchandisers like Walmart, Sears, etc. If you shop at Sears their lifetime balance and rotation cost only a few dollars over the regular balance package. Get it if you shop there. Be sure and purchase (LT) light truck tires for your AV and not Passanger rated ( P) tires. The sizes and appearances may only be in the number of radial belts in the side wall that separate (P) from (LT) tires. On the rack they may appear the same including tread. But the (LT) tires are manufactured for trucks including the weight of your AV. The newest, designs, technologies including the best wearing and performing compounds are found at major brand dealers.
If your positive that its something other than tires start with having your Drive shaft checked. Components like yokes, u-joints in the drive train can be the culprit as well. If the Bounce worsens during braking and it's a rear end bounce........ rear Driveline components check is a must.
More often than not the bounce would be felt in the drivers and passangers seat, headrest, and arm console if it's a problem from the rear tires or rear driveline system.
More often if the bounce,vibration or shimmy is in the steering wheel , dash or front end it will be just the opposite. If that's the issues your having...........
It is not unreasonable no matter the vehicle year or milage the front-end components, joints, tie-rods, wheel bearing/hub assemblies, etc, including the (Front) four wheel drive system can be worn out or defective...have a professional put the AV on a lift and start checking these...........Good Luck and let us know the out-come................
HELP OUT A YOUNGSTER WITH CANCER They're your future.

1turfman454

« Reply #31 on: 01/12/06 04:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I am going to take the tech for a test drive today and see if he is feeling what I am.  This is my 4th Chevy truck in the last 10 years and I have never had this issue before. Of course we are talking a 5 link vs. a leaf spring set -up. Ill let you know what happens!

Need4Speed

• Charter Member
    • Half-breed
« Reply #32 on: 01/22/06 06:45 AM »

Interesting complaint. I have Chevy Avalanche Z-71 rims with Goodyear Wrangler AT/S with about 34K miles as well as a set of Escalade rims with about 8K miles with the HPs. Neither shows any vibration or anything else at any speed. Like others have said, you can rotate front to back and see if there is any change. I would also bump up the air pressure a bunch (stay within max pressure rating) and see if it changes with higher pressure (if you run them hard, then try at the minimum recommended pressure).

You could also put it into 4HI and see if anything changes.

Other suggestion - you could remove the cargo panels and drop the tailgate, and see if the difference in airflow changes it, or possibly add a few hundred pounds of stuff and see if there is any effect.

The only thing suspension wise I have done was to install the harder sway bar bushings. Anyone know if that would help the problem?
« Last Edit: 01/22/06 06:47 AM by Need4Speed »
2002 Z-71 Black, 2003 EXT Diamond White

Hop45

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • Galveston, TX - "B.O.I."
« Reply #33 on: 01/29/06 06:59 AM »

Bought new tires for the AV this weekend. My bounce at 70 MPH is no longer there.  It was just a bad tire.  Hope everybody else has luck in fixing theirs.

Old.Ski.Bum

• Charter Member
  • Avalanche - Always ready for a SKI Trip!
« Reply #34 on: 04/26/06 05:19 AM »

Here's my latest experience with a shimy.

I have 57K on my 03 Z71. I replaced the shocks with the KYB and I liked the ride improvement with my old 57K Wrangler RT/S. I then went and purchased 4 new Goodyear TripleTred tires and had them balanced and an alignment at a GOODYEAR TIRE CENTER. I really like the way the tires grip the road. Now for the bad news. The alignment took forever. The mechanic told me he was having trouble doing the alignment but finally got it. The truck is bumpy to the point that it feels like I'm constantly driving on washboard. Not sure if this can be characterized as a shimy. It does the same thing on the highway.

I checked the tire pressure and all 4 were at 40 pounds. I lowered them all to 36ponds. Not much of an improvement.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance!

Paul
2003 1500 Av Dark Gray Met.  Z71, Roof visor, Dual Maglite, Billet Fuel Filler Door, GM Window Visors, Amber DRLs, GM Mlded Mud Flaps, SilverStars 9005&6st, Corsa Exhaust Tips, Visor Decals, Moutain Decals, 885 Fogs,Snakeeyes Backup System, Billet Bowtie,CW Billet Grille,Sportwing, Vizualogic Headrests, Alpine DVD,Taylor 409 wires, NPK Iridium plugs

easy05

• Bad spellers of the world ewnite!
« Reply #35 on: 04/27/06 09:04 PM »

I would take the truck to dealer or shop that has a road force balancer and get the tires road forced balanced. This is a different kind of balancing then the standard spin balance that most tire shops do. I know it made a big difference in the vibration in my truck as well as a few others on this board.
'05 Av, chrome package, AVS ventvisors and bug shield, Putco Shadow billet grill. K&N drop in filter, Kenwood kfc-1789 speakers, Alpine MRV-F345 amp, Maglite mod, tow hook covers, GMC door moldings, Streamline Designs decals, Stainless fender trim, CK-807 rims with 20 inch tires, front window tint, and much more to come.

Old.Ski.Bum

• Charter Member
  • Avalanche - Always ready for a SKI Trip!
« Reply #36 on: 04/29/06 06:24 AM »

Thanks Easy05 for your help!
2003 1500 Av Dark Gray Met.  Z71, Roof visor, Dual Maglite, Billet Fuel Filler Door, GM Window Visors, Amber DRLs, GM Mlded Mud Flaps, SilverStars 9005&6st, Corsa Exhaust Tips, Visor Decals, Moutain Decals, 885 Fogs,Snakeeyes Backup System, Billet Bowtie,CW Billet Grille,Sportwing, Vizualogic Headrests, Alpine DVD,Taylor 409 wires, NPK Iridium plugs

Z66 BUTCH

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
  • I love Dachshunds
« Reply #37 on: 04/29/06 06:35 AM »

Turfman...........If it's time for the tires that's the route I'd head toward. The tires may have been damaged while stopping from a high rate of speed avoiding an accident, etc.  Previous owner issues, etc. Flat spots left in the aftermath of a skid can ruin a brand new set of tires.

Interesting but not likely with anti-lock brakes, I would try the road force balance first, if it does not help go back where you bought the tires. Did you say the problem started after you bought them?

Butch
« Last Edit: 04/29/06 06:39 AM by Z66 BUTCH »

daveandpat

« Reply #38 on: 07/02/08 04:34 PM »

Z66, 2002, 92K miles

We've had the vibration at the steering and driver seat at 65mph+ for about a month now - started after we took it in for balance/rotate to Discount Tire Co.  Took it back.  They re-balanced.  Less vibration but still there.
Took it to dealer.  They noticed the inside of one of the tires at the back has tiny bit of uneven wear.  Were probably the front tires before Discount Tire rotated them to the back and guessing the wear is from the turning done when they were at the front.  Dealer will re-balance and check out the problem.

Just now thought to check how old our tires are.  We were assuming they weren't too old.  Looks like we bought them at 40K miles Dec 2005.  So, probably close to end of life but no one has told me that.

Will post results after we get truck back.

timjcarter

• My 2003
« Reply #39 on: 11/21/08 10:59 PM »

Have the u joints checked.
Mine was doing that. U joint change fixed it.
New To Me - 2003 Z71

artsrs

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #40 on: 01/05/10 03:18 PM »

I seem to have the same sort of problem. When I start my 2004 it get this rapid, loud ticking noise coming from the drivers side dash. it almost sounds like a relay but nothing else seems to be having issues?????????   :E:

Lifted07

• It broke WHAT this time ?!?
« Reply #41 on: 05/06/11 01:22 PM »

I seem to have the same sort of problem. When I start my 2004 it get this rapid, loud ticking noise coming from the drivers side dash. it almost sounds like a relay but nothing else seems to be having issues?????????   :E:

My 07 starting having a squeak, tap, plasticy crinkly sound coming from the drivers side dash area late last fall and I damn near beat a hole through the dash throughout the winter trying to shut it up :E: :E:  Finally when the weather got warmer I started tearing the dash apart and that is when I found the loose bolts.  The panel nearest the windshield on my 07 simply snaps into place and the part of the dash closer to the passenger compartment is held in place under the front panel by 4 or 5 bolts.  That was the culprit of my annoyance anyhow.  Hope this helps.
2007 Graystone metallic, Amber LED DRL's, all LED lights on exterior, 6" Pro Comp lift, 35x12.50 Amp terrain grippers, Cali offroad 20x9 anarchy's 4:56's K&N FIPK, Bully dog GT Tuner, Color matched front and rear bow ties, 6000K HID low & fog lights, Rampage fire and ice tailgate light bar, led light bar on the sails, Sirius satellite radio, Compustar Pro 2 way, color matched Bushwhacker pocket style flares. LS460W Dash cam
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.