• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MY Onstar Antenna Is GONE

davidw55

Charter Member
I just noticed after getting home tonight that my Onstar antenna was gone! Well doesn't that just :8: SUCK! I ran it through a soft cloth wash this evening, but I have done that many times and not had it come off, especially since it screws on. I went quite a few places today, so no telling, but I am all but positive that someone just took a liking to it.

Has anyone else had their Onstar antenna stolen off their Avalanche? How much will it cost me to get another one from the dealer, anyone know? I didn't renew my onstar after the free year, but looks pretty stupid with a big gold threaded bolt sticking out the top. Plus since I am looking at having to sell, should have it on there in case someone wanted to get the service.

David

hey David,

that really sucks....I will call you today..your still going to PF next weekend right? If so I can bring an antenna for you. See you then.

It's not uncommon for the car wash places to unscrew it and place it inside your AV. Check around in your AV... check in the drivers seat and see if it's between the seat bottom and seat back.

David

Check the question and maybe maintenance section...they used to ship loose and the dealer would install.and of course they did a poor job and some folks lost theirs too.....

My dealer told me that they don't screw them on until someone buys them because they get stolen right off the lot. I take mine off and toss it in the center console when I have to park in crummy neighborhoods like the courthouse here in Tacoma.

I'm not sure what good they are other than as OnStar antennas, but apparently, someone has found some use for them.

you're lucky to even have one - I had to make my salesguy steal one off a just delivered yellow WBH, as the dealer's make-ready guys just throw the accessory kits in the trash - out of 3500 cars and trucks NONE had antennas... go figure.

Also, the '02 antenna will NOT fit on an '03 - the post and threads are different - it will seem like it is firmly attached, but there is a big gap, and it will blow off :(

pedr0 said:
What's the procedure for removing them?

They just screw off.

I wonder if a little industrial strength loc-tite would help. Might make it just tough enough to remove that people wouldn't bother.

NascarDave said:
you're lucky to even have one - I had to make my salesguy steal one off a just delivered yellow WBH, as the dealer's make-ready guys just throw the accessory kits in the trash - out of 3500 cars and trucks NONE had antennas... go figure.

We had kinda the same scenario. There was supposed to be one in the OnStar box in glove box but they didnt have one in there, So they took one from a different Av. It has stayed there since.

The one on my 02 fell off the first time I washed the truck. I checked the one on my 03 as soon as I got it.

I hardly ever use a car wash but I was in a hurry today before taking clients to a job site. Anyway I lost my On Star antenna in the car wash and they can't find it. Do I have any other options other than going to GM for an OEM replacement?

TIA
Jeff (Indiana)

As far as I know there is no aftermarket for that antenna. I do believe the installation of all antennas is part of dealer prep. If it fell off, it would be their fault. :B:

HTH
John

I think you may be able to get an ant.from some where to screw on....I have seen some with about the same threads out there...but where I forget.....

Wished this helped

rapid-richard said:
They steal them at my dealership all the time. I always wondered what they were doing with them. Now I guess I know.

It's a viscous cycle. If yours gets stolen, you look on ebay for a replacement. The person "selling" it needs another one to sell, so they steal one. Now that person needs a new one, and looks on ebay.....

These were new in sealed GM package, that's why I bought them.

I wasn't looking to help out those jerks!

AWACS

If you aren't going to use the onstar service anyway, you could always use the antenna mount for one of those big lighted hats they have on those little napa trucks.

Jodiesel said:
If you aren't going to use the onstar service anyway, you could always use the antenna mount for one of those big lighted hats they have on those little napa trucks.

I have one of those hats in my Garage!

Back