Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Brief History of CAFCNA - The Early Months  (Read 52371 times)

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
    • Chevy Avalanche Fan Club
A Brief History of CAFCNA - The Early Months
« on: 12/14/05 04:49 PM »

It all started back in December of 2001.  At the time I owned a Pontiac Transport Montana.  Not the ugly “dust buster” Transport but the second generation Transport that has some first in class features like a power sliding door.  My Montana was in a phrase, “a complete piece of crap.”

Of any vehicle I’ve owned where the extended service plan had paid off, the Montana was it.  From October of 1998 to December of 2001:

*  Air suspension – rebuilt twice, and then completely replaced
*  Transmission – replaced
*  Stereo head unit – replaced – displayed died
*  Driver’s side power window motor – replaced – poor operation
*  Driver’s side rear power vent window motor – replaced – motor failed
*  Power driver’s door module replaced three times – twice faulty – once on recall
*  Front disc brakes – never, ever, right
*  Front driver’s seat – premature wear, cloth tore through at 43K miles – replaced
*  Windshield wiper module – replaced – failed
*  Passenger side front headlight assembly – replaced – seal failed, filled with water
*  Weather stripping and molding passenger side sliding door – replaced, fell off

I guess you get the idea.  It was the windshield wiper control module that was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  I had lent my Montana to a friend to drive a group of women from a homeless shelter to a Christmas dinner at a church.  In pouring rain in the dark of night the wipers stopped working.  That Monday morning I was at the dealer and could see the color drain from the service advisors upon my arrival.  They promised an immediate fix to my problem, and there sitting on the showroom floor by service was a black, 2002 Northface Avalanche with every option.

I started climbing around and looking at this Swiss Army knife of a truck.  I had seen one at the Seattle Auto Show in 2000 and HATED it.  Yup, you read that right.  I thought it was huge, beyond insane in size, overpriced, with looks only a mother could love.  But as I started exploring everything about the Avalanche, including working the Midgate and checking out the saddle bag cargo storage I became more impressed.  It became clear to me on the “why they did that,” and how practical this vehicle was.

So I asked a sales drone if there was a Z-71 package Avalanche around I could drive.  That was a mistake.  I drove the Avalanche for about ten miles and I was hooked.  I took it down to my hometown around a tight col-de-sac and quickly realized that this 19-1/2 foot long truck handled and rode like a luxury car.  I enjoyed the view and the V8 under my right foot.  This set up the negotiation process and I was in a good position.  For all the woes of my Montana it was paid off and still had 43K miles of extended warranty left.  At its current pace I’d have an all new Montana by 80K miles as anything that could break would have been replaced.  In other words I explained to the salesperson I don’t “need” the Avalanche, this is all about, “want,” and if I don’t get a good deal, I’ll walk.

They tried ramming the black Northface down my throat but I didn’t want anything to do with it.  Black is way to hard to keep clean, wasn’t fond of the green and orange interior and no heated seats.  So we found a blue Z-71 with every option you could get in December 2001 (no GM chrome step rails yet).  I was made a great offer on the Avalanche, well below sticker, a $1,000 rebate, 0.0% interest, and a fat trade-in on the Montana.  Done and done.  Signed papers on December 21, 2001 and took delivery on December 23, 2001.  General Motors even tossed in a pair of season passes for the local yokel ski areas for my trouble.

After buying my truck I got on the internet and did some research and found it was hard to do.  There wasn’t a lot of information outside of General Motors.  What was available was largely wrong; things about Midgate operation, cargo area use and operation, capacities, abilities, etc.   On the Edmunds.Com site the Avalanche forum was probably the most active on the web.  There were maybe 50 to 100 Avalanche fans or owners trying to rise about the noise of about 500 to 1000 Avalanche detractors who ranted on and on about the cladding and how it wasn’t a “real” truck (this was prior to the Avalanche selling just under 100K units in its first year and the Motor Trend 2002 Truck of the Year Award and the Consumer Reports Off-Road Round Up where the Avalanche came in second place ahead of 32 other vehicles).

At the time I had a web business and was involved heavily in e-commerce and web design.  I saw CAFCNA as a chance to stretch my skills on something fun, that interested me.  In addition, and in hindsight, only a handful of members know, but I was involved in a very abusive marriage.  CAFCNA became my escape from that for me and my son in particular.  Something that was important in my life, outside of the scope of control of my wife at the time, and where I could reach out to others and build a network virtually.

I contacted General Motors in early January of 2002.  I did a WhoIs search and found that some of the “better” links like, “AvalancheClub, MyAvalanche, etc. etc.” had been taken, so I settled on the long but accurate ChevyAvalancheFanClub.Com.  I requested permission from General Motors to use the URL and set up an enthusiast site for the Avalanche out of personal interest.  The grant of permission was approved.  On January 10, 2002 I bought the URL.  On January 12, 2002 I pushed up the first version of the site and started testing.  On January 15, 2002 I posted on Edmunds that there was an Avalanche website people could go to discuss the Avalanche.  There was no membership requirement, no ads, no nothing.  Just come check it out, if you don’t like it fine.

In the internet world, “if you build it they will come,” typically does not apply.  This was not the case for CAFCNA.  They came and boy did they come.  Frustrated from the noise on Edmunds and to a lesser extent Yahoo word spread quickly virally about the site and in less than 45 days we had over 100 members.  Edmunds had sent me a polite e-mail asking me to please stop posting in their forums.  The Edmund’s forum for the Avalanche had died a death and new people to Edmunds would beg to find out where this other site was.  I respected Edmunds request and stopped posting on their forums with no whining or crying, or complaining or calling them evil.  I took it as a huge complement that this tiny member site of 100 or so people had become a big enough thorn in the side of Edmunds to say, “cut it out.”

However as growth exploded over the first 12 months of CAFCNA life so did a number of issues that I simply never planned.  The CGI based YaBB engine I installed as freeware for the forums crashed as we pushed over 1,000 members.  It simply could not take the activity.  We would max out our allotted server traffic each month and I was hit with crushing bills from out hosting provider.  I believe we changed hosting providers three times, including where we started in 2002 alone.  Each transition brought a 3 to 10 day downtime as servers reconfigured our new IP addresses.

Additionally work on the site to add new features and change the design happened steadily through 2002.  The first home page was very light, and lasted less than 60 days.  A new home page went up that was based on a similar design from a popular travel site.  That lasted about nine months and then either in late 2002 or early 2003 the site UI basically as you see it today was born.

That is a very brief history of CAFCNA and why it came to be.
2011 LTZ 4WD, White Diamond Tricoat, Black Leather - purchased 4/6/2015

2002 Z71, Indigo Blue, Graphite Leather

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Holden Commodore conversion

2005 Saturn Relay FWD3 Bronze Mist, Tan Leather, weather beater

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 Silver, Gray Leather

1985 Isuzu Impulse Silver, Blue Cloth, fully restored survivor

RoarinRow

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • Northern California Chapter
    • Avalanche Style
Re: A Brief History of CAFCNA - The Early Months
« Reply #1 on: 12/14/05 04:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing Chief.  I was happy to be here near the inception of the site and got to experience the growing pains, the friendships, and networking of ideas.   :D

2002 Summit White 1500 4X4 4.10, Poweraid TBS, Volant CAI, HPP3, Taylor Wires, TOC, Flowmaster 40 Series, Eibach Lowering Springs, Stillen Front Brakes, Belltech Shocks, PIAA 2100XT driving lights, Epic Gladiators with Proxes STII 285/50/20, Phantom Cluster, Pioneer Flip DVD, HID 6000k.  Click on pic.

enkeiavalanche

« Reply #2 on: 12/14/05 05:04 PM »

I have to say that put a tear in my eye..  That was great.. This is why it is the BEST Avalanche site out there....For the friends made and even a wedding or two.. :4:  Even dealers go on here to find info... ::)

Thanks Chief for everything........ :1: :1:

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #3 on: 12/14/05 05:07 PM »

Here is some more history - note that in some cases graphics won't appear correctly or are missing because they have been changed or deleted over the years:

January 11, 2002 Test Page

February 7, 2002 First Home Page

May 27, 2002 Updated Home Page (check out the slick side navigation)

June 4, 2002 Updated Home Page UI  Hey!  That' starting to look a bit familar!

November 28, 2002 Holidays Home Page  Hey!  Notice those Christmas colors?

Didn't realize that the website UI was updated FOUR TIMES in 2002!!!   :o :o :o :o  That's was a lot of Macromedia Fireworks and HTML editing.

RoarinRow

• Northern California Chapter
    • Avalanche Style
« Reply #4 on: 12/14/05 05:11 PM »

Here is some more history - note that in some cases graphics won't appear correctly or are missing because they have been changed or deleted over the years:

Didn't realize that the website UI was updated FOUR TIMES in 2002!!!   :o :o :o :o  That's was a lot of Macromedia Fireworks and HTML editing.

Haha, the June 4 link has my post on 'Anyone from Sacramento?'.   :laugh:
2002 Summit White 1500 4X4 4.10, Poweraid TBS, Volant CAI, HPP3, Taylor Wires, TOC, Flowmaster 40 Series, Eibach Lowering Springs, Stillen Front Brakes, Belltech Shocks, PIAA 2100XT driving lights, Epic Gladiators with Proxes STII 285/50/20, Phantom Cluster, Pioneer Flip DVD, HID 6000k.  Click on pic.

WesTexAVY

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member #8 (YGMN is a just a newbie to me!)
« Reply #5 on: 12/14/05 05:25 PM »

I was snagged by Chief's posting over at Edmunds and showed up here on day 1.
Registered on day #2 and have been here almost EVERY day since!

I don't want to say that YGMN was right behind me........but he did show up quite a bit later  :P :P

Thanks so much Chief for creating my home away from home  :A:
My 1st: Black 02 Z71, 4.10, born 6/01 .. mine 7/01,STOLEN 2/28/04, Manik SS Nerfs, Billet Fuel Door, Amber wig-wag DRL/NRLs, 3' PA Body Lift, Sail Panel LEDs

My 2nd: Red 02 Z71, mine 3/05, Rancho Lift, 37s, Road Armor Front Bumper w/ Titan Guard, 3" PA Body Lift, Hyundai FTADRLs

MyBigToy

• Too much power is just enough!
« Reply #6 on: 12/14/05 05:29 PM »

I've also been on the site since pretty early on, through all the fun and all the ugly stuff.

I've learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and, unfortunately, spent a TON of money after catching MOD fever!

I'm like Chief; the first time I saw the Av I thought "What is that butt-ugly POS?" After learning about the versatility I also made the mistake of driving one and that was the end of it; I bought one within 2 weeks!
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, custom metal rear step bumper. Best vehicle I have owned to date!

Daily driver: 2012 Centennial edition 4LT Grand Sport Corvette convertible

irontrain

• CAFCNA Global Moderator
  • Chicago BULLS #1
« Reply #7 on: 12/14/05 05:30 PM »

Those would look good now. :cool:
This space for rent

RichUF

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • UNP1MPD
« Reply #8 on: 12/14/05 05:36 PM »

Thanks for reminding us of CAFCNA history, Chief, and for sharing some of the more personal details.  I'm so glad that I found you over at Edmunds.  Took me a bit of time lurking to actually register here, but I sure am glad that I finally did.

Thanks for your wonderful creation that led to such a great site full of great folks  :1:
[sig deleted by Admin...your account is next to go]

Alaska_AV.

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • living the cold life
    • photo documentary mod site
« Reply #9 on: 12/14/05 05:51 PM »

ah, the good old days! befor the the gray days of hackers, wackers and packers........

P.S.
OH ya, thanks for the beer stien, just got it!.........just kidding :kidding:
« Last Edit: 12/14/05 05:53 PM by Alaska_AV. »
First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru

BUDDY23

« Reply #10 on: 12/14/05 06:05 PM »

Wow, that was nice to read.  It has come a long way.  This is definately a home away from home.  Thank you to all that have made this possible.   :A:  :1:

Avalanche Fox

« Reply #11 on: 12/14/05 06:11 PM »

WOW, seeing those old pages vs. what it is now, is amazing.  i'm so glad you took the energy and time to get the ball rollling.  that's great :)

bikerchic1977

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: 12/14/05 06:19 PM »

P.S.

:laugh:

ahh the good ol' days are right.. i remember being on at 3am drooling over the truck i wanted but thought i couldn't get.. then on aug 2, 2002 i owned one and realized i could finally join the club legitimately.. of course i spent that day driving around in it, so i didn't join until the next day..

txyank1

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: 12/14/05 06:22 PM »

I too found this Site via Edmunds, which I still check on every day. I thinks it's safe to say if it weren't for getting "turned on" about the Avalanche every time I visited here I'd probably still be driving a Silverado or Sierra. :D
'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06--11/19/14 : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
11/19/14 Downsized - Traded the Av for a Lincoln MKX. Sure did love the AV!!

NewtoLI

• Spring is Here!!
« Reply #14 on: 12/14/05 06:31 PM »

Great Story-- I feel like a kid-- tell us more, tell us more.  I love this site and I thank you for working so hard to make a great success for all of us.... If I had karma, I would give you some  :A:  Lawanna

Alaska_AV.

• living the cold life
    • photo documentary mod site
« Reply #15 on: 12/14/05 06:36 PM »

If I had karma, I would give you some :A: Lawanna

I remember the Karma days, I was about 50/50 between -,+.   

Wasn't YaK -1286/+32  ?
First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru

NewtoLI

• Spring is Here!!
« Reply #16 on: 12/14/05 06:37 PM »

That was great about Yak-- Where is Yak? 

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #17 on: 12/14/05 09:36 PM »

ah, the good old days! befor the the gray days of hackers, wackers and packers........

P.S.

No, no, no!  There were no steins.  That all went to my 24 karat gold plated rims!   :kidding: :laugh: :bling:  Oh ya, and my nuclear powered laptop.   :bsflag:

SamHouseIII

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • mmm!! mmm!! Good!!
« Reply #18 on: 12/15/05 02:38 AM »

Thanks for the great story and a even better site/club.

Sam
Commitment, Integrity, Results!!

Don't knock road kill till you try it!!

MR.SMITH

« Reply #19 on: 12/15/05 05:36 AM »

Thanks to you Chief I have spend thousand of dollars that I would have normally invested. :needhug: 

:A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A: :A:

KY_BOB

• I loved my S.L.U.T.: Sport Luxury Utility Truck
« Reply #20 on: 12/15/05 06:01 AM »

Thanks to you Chief I have spend thousand of dollars that I would have normally invested. :needhug: 

:laugh:  That's funny Mr. Smith!  :laugh:

...wait a minute.  No it not, it's true ::)

Gone but not forgotten...

02 Z-71  Vortech supercharged 3.12 pulley 10psi, 212/218 .558/.563 comp cam, LS6 valve springs, SMC meth injection, 42# injectors, Flex-a-lite Efans, 3"body lift, 33 12.50-17 procomp AT, 17x9 procomp wheels, AVIC-N2 NAV, 4.56 gears, 2500 stall converter, transgo HD2 shift kit, Vette servos, 80mm BBK throttle body, Edelbrock headers, custom exhaust, Cold Fusion nitrous, and too many more mods to list.

Tuned with HPTuners
8.86@77.87mph in the 1/8th

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #21 on: 12/15/05 06:09 AM »

I was snagged by Chief's posting over at Edmunds and showed up here on day 1.
Registered on day #2 and have been here almost EVERY day since!

I don't want to say that YGMN was right behind me........but he did show up quite a bit later  :P :P

Thanks so much Chief for creating my home away from home  :A:

Ya beat me by a few hours....hehehe

If peeps look at that membership table Members List

Then click on the date registered field on the right side...it will sort it by when ya joined....

check out when members joined.... you will see a bunch of the early ones are still active and AHEM....OWn the same AVY like ME!!!!

and for the record WesTexAvy joined: 16 Jan 2002 22:35:33

I joined 17 Jan 2002 02:11:02  So the difference is less then 4 hours....Maybe I had to make a drink? hehehe

I do remember edmonds back in the summer of 2001 up to the point I joined here....I though Chief was nutz..at the time....but ...by then I really desired a AVy specific site to get away from the TUNDRA/SPORTRAC OWNING TROLLS....

Plus the organization of Edmunds stunk so it was hard to discuss problems and mods....

THANKS CHIEF.....  Enjoy your Internet child CAFCNA!
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

kodio

• CLEAN LEMONY FRESH VICTORY IS MINE!!!
« Reply #22 on: 12/15/05 06:24 AM »

I've also been on the site since pretty early on, through all the fun and all the ugly stuff.

I've learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and, unfortunately, spent a TON of money after catching MOD fever!

I'm like Chief; the first time I saw the Av I thought "What is that butt-ugly POS?" After learning about the versatility I also made the mistake of driving one and that was the end of it; I bought one within 2 weeks!

MBT, you joined the same day I did. 11/22/02. That was about 3 months after getting my AV. I found the site through a Google search, though. I never went to Edmunds.

I have enjoyed and spent way too much time on this website.
2002 Black Z-71. No mods yet except tinting the front windows. Well, now the mag light and amber DRLs, too. Ooo, the headrest mod, also. The list of things I want to do is too long.

Hop45

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • Galveston, TX - "B.O.I."
« Reply #23 on: 12/15/05 06:24 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I have been on the other sites and MUCH prefer the organization of CAFCNA. No disrespect to the other sites, but this one is very user friendly and easy to navigate for a computer illiterate like me.  Great site; worth every penny to become a supporting member ( you get a nice gift also!).  Thanks Chief for all your hard work.

Murman

• My name is Buford, I am a Vizsla, I live in NORCAL
    • My Car Domain page
« Reply #24 on: 12/15/05 06:36 AM »

Chief,

Your site has impacted the Murman family.

11 Jul 2002, 7:07:08 PM, Member 1406.

Total Time Spent Online: 24 days, 10 hours and 31 minutes.
Total Posts: 2904 posts
Total Topics: 95 topics
Number of Polls Created: 1 polls
Number of Votes Cast: 39 votes

... and two AVs.

Happy Holidays,

Murman :cool:

« Last Edit: 12/15/05 09:16 AM by Murman »
03 4X4-LPM-Charcoal Int-BOSE-G80-MODS:285/75/16 BFG AT/KOK&N-Magnaflow-TOC-SilverStar-H2 levers-2500 Gauges-XM via HU-Maglight-Fire Ext-V1-CSA Bowtie-Brushed Grille

amd1900mp

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
  • 2003 Arrival Blue Z71 with Cladding
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: 12/15/05 06:45 AM »

Thanks for sharing Chief!
:yourock:

Your hard work has altered the paths of many people..
I am happy I found CAFCNA!!

Av'n It,
Todd

Help spread the word
Please check out my page and donate if you can.
https://www.gofundme.com/todd-bullis-fight-for-life
Thank you, Todd

My Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/tebullis

goom49

• The AV is outta this world!
« Reply #26 on: 12/15/05 07:35 AM »

Im still new here, but I think that its the members that make this site so great......some others sites you may wait for days before you get an answer to a question, but here its usual mins and such detail too.

Thanks Chief and everyone else that has keep it alive
« Last Edit: 12/15/05 07:36 AM by goom49 »
06 Black 1500 Cladded LT.  chrome step bar, Sunroof, & tent/mattress    Mods: full time Ambers, front tint, 4onHigh, Split hinged Mid-Deck, Maglite, rear head rest removed, diamond plate rear bumper, stainless window trim, chrome handles, power tailgate lock, sail panel LEDs, F&I, dual batteries, Pioneer F90BT, & two 8 inch kicker L5s (gotta get pics)

67 Mustang midnight blue coupe (50% of modding budget)

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
  • Forethought is better than afterthought
« Reply #27 on: 12/15/05 04:51 PM »

I was a lurker from mid-Feb '02 to mid-April, when I finally registered.  Things have changed a bit since then. We used to post when we saw another Avalanche on the road in the early days. Now they are everywhere.
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!
Link to Club Store

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #28 on: 12/15/05 06:43 PM »

On the subject of the "Google" search.  Back in 2001 ~ 2002 you could still optimize webpages to garner better placement on search engines.  Google came up with a "better way," and well, technical discussions aside they have the plan when it comes to search.

Don't confuse "optimize" with "padding" a page.  Blatant keyword stuffing could get you booted out of a search engine.  If you check out the history of the home page you'll find that the graphical page was very, VERY short lived.  That graphical home page was really an attempt by me to create a cool, stylized "swoop" using Macromedia Fireworks - I actually still like it (and totally forgot about the next generation page with the Java hover over UI).

Anyway I spent a TON of time optimizing the pages here to aid in getting good search listing.  Google uses a complex formula for indexing that goes far beyond the content of the pages.  They take a look at the traffic, and what sites link to and from this site to gauge revelance.  In addition they look at their own click-through patterns.

I really don't want to discuss "my" secret sauce, and things are much different today than it was in 2001 ~ 2002.  Meta tagging, keyword optimization, and link structure don't really help improve your lisiting anymore.  Having thousands (and maybe tens of thousands) of links to other sites in cyberspace sure does.  Links like the GM Canada story about Niagara Falls are HUGE on boosting our Google rankings.

You can try to cheat the system (won't mention names) and those cheats can be short lived (won't mention names again) but when you've got the real thing -- well the proof are in the results.  Being in the top four of just about any Google search related to the Avalanche sure helps.

In the early days most folks found us through Edmunds, Yahoo, or word of mouth.  Today I'd guess most people find us through Google and word of mouth.

txyank1

« Reply #29 on: 12/16/05 05:16 AM »

On the subject of the "Google" search.  Back in 2001 ~ 2002 you could still optimize webpages to garner better placement on search engines.  Google came up with a "better way," and well, technical discussions aside they have the plan when it comes to search.
I use Excite for my home page and do my searches from there. I think it uses something like "infospace". The "Club" shows up 7th.
 What I find odd is that when I do a search for "Flowmaster Mufflers", flowmastermuffler.com comes up 47th!! Behind tons of businesses that sell Flowmasters. ???
'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06--11/19/14 : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
11/19/14 Downsized - Traded the Av for a Lincoln MKX. Sure did love the AV!!

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #30 on: 12/16/05 11:25 AM »

I use Excite for my home page and do my searches from there. I think it uses something like "infospace". The "Club" shows up 7th.
 What I find odd is that when I do a search for "Flowmaster Mufflers", flowmastermuffler.com comes up 47th!! Behind tons of businesses that sell Flowmasters. ???

Page optimization baby!

Flint4x4

« Reply #31 on: 12/16/05 12:17 PM »

I was using Excite when I found the club, the search engine said it both used Yahoo & Google. I never saw an AV in person until I factory ordered mine on April 10, 2001, the ones on the lot were sold so I couldn't even test drive one. I found the club while looking for a push bar and joined the same day.

Thanks for the early days info Chief
'94 Chevy S10 ext. cab. low miles, '09 GMC Acadia low miles
FWD + RWD = 4x4, loaded '04 AV totaled late 2016

GoldBowTie

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Have you hugged your Avalanche today?
« Reply #32 on: 12/16/05 07:38 PM »

I've thought about posting my own "early Av days" story, but wasn't sure if I should bother as I doubt few really care.
But, Chief, this thread has inspired me.

Back in the year 1999 (I think) I first saw the Avalanche featured on Car and Driver TV.
We (my wife and I) both thought it was pretty cool and thought the midgate was a good idea and that this would be a great truck for us when camping.

At the time I was driving a high mileage black 1989 extended cab Silverado.
For years (since 1992 when I almost bought a new one) I wanted a black extended cab Chevy pickup and I finally had one.
I bought the '89 used in April 1998.
An OK truck, the dogs liked the back seat, but low oil pressure was becoming a concern.
I spent quite a bit of money keeping that truck road worthy.
We hoped it would last until the Av came out.

In September 1999 I became a member on the chevelles.com website.
I include this little tidbit of info because it relates to my membership here at CAFCNA.
My screen name was/is BlueBowTie because that is what is in the center of my Chevelle grill.
I have a 1969 Chevelle Malibu - my first car - got it in June 1984.
Did I mention the Chevelle is black? ;)
I didn't post much there, but read everything I could and learned alot about everything Chevelle.
The internet was new to me at the time and I spent all my internet time on that site.

By May 2000 it was time to ditch the '89 Silverado.
May 30 2000 we went truck shopping and ended up buying a 2000 Z71 Silverado on May 31 2000.
This was my first ever brand new vehicle and I was very thrilled to have such a machine.

It wasn't long after that we began seeing more magazine articles about this new truck/SUV Avalanche.
We ruled out the Av because we just bought a new truck and it was great and satisfied all of our travel and camping needs.

Fast forward to August 2001.
I saw an Avalanche on display at the local dealership.
"OMG, is that ugly!" I thought, "why did I ever want one of those?"
I was more than satisfied that I made the right choice in my Silverado.

September 8 2001, Truckfest at Summit Racing.
My first up-close look at an Avalanche.
Not sure I like all that plastic and what's up with the un-round wheel wells?

September 11 2001
We all know what happened that day.
But this becomes part of the reason I end up buying the Av.

September 19 2001
To dealership for Silverado oil change.
Sit in an Av - this has the same interior as my Silverado.
Why would I trade for this?
I take a brochure home anyways and show to the wife.
Looking through the brochure, I think maybe I do want one of these?

September 20 2001
Looking through the brochure again, yeah I think I do want one of these.

September 22 and 23 2001
While spending the weekend camping, I study and memorize the Av brochure.
Yeah, I'm hooked.
I see a commercial on the TV in our tent for low GMAC financing - this has got to be a sign.
On the way home we stop at a dealership to let the wife see one.
I expect she'll say "You already have a truck, why do you need one of these?"
Instead she says "Wow, this is so cool, we have got to get one of these!"
Uh-oh.  :cool:

September 24 2001
Call for Silverado loan payoff amount.
Go to dealership where I bought Silverado to see about trade-in.
Trade-in too low.
Oh well. :(

September 25 2001
Guys at work are living vicariously through me and convincing me that I really should get an Av.
But none of them are willing to help pay for it. ::)

September 26 2001 - my birthday.
Pass a black Avalanche on my way home from work.
Go out to dinner and stop at a different dealership after.
I knew more about the Av than the salesman, but he did know where the hood release lever was - I didn't - it wasn't in the brochure.  :P
I test drive a white Z71 Av.
Wow, this is so much nicer than my Silverado.
Wife drives it too - is impressed.
Would be a very nice birthday present, but they are not budging on price.
Wife lays down the law and gets us out of there before we make an impulse buy.
I'm glad one of us has some self-control.

September 27 2001
Pass that black Av again on way home.

September 28 2001
Pass that black Av again.
This has got to be a sign.

September 29 2001
Go back to original dealership.
Take home a Pewter Z66 for a weekend test drive.
Test garage fit - it will fit.
Load up camping gear - it will fit.
Take it right back to dealership the same day.
Tell him to find us a Z71 with the options we want in black, orange or blue.
I want black, wife wants orange, and we both like blue.

October 2 2001
My salesman knows who to please because he found me a black one!!!!

October 6 2001
We take delivery of the best vehicle we have ever owned!  :woohoo:
I traded a truck that I had for only 16 months and it had only 11,000 miles.
But, with the recent terrorist attacks, I felt it was my patriotic duty to help the economy.
A bad money decision?  Yes.
Do I regret it?  No.

You know, I never did pass that black Av again.
Maybe I just imagined it?  :-/

By now I am getting aggravated with the attitude of the "old school" guys on the Chevelle site and all their bad mouthing of the new Chevy models, especially the Av.
But an internet search for Avalanche finds only the Colorado hockey team. :(

April 6 2002
We stop at our local hardware store and the wife exclaims "Look, there's an Avalanche!"
There was one parked in the lot.
I say "Look behind us."
One was following us in.
Wow, three Avs in the same place!
Back then, that was something.
The guy behind me was member "endeavorc" and he tagged me.
I lurked for a few days and joined up.

Of course I had to use the screen name GoldBowTie - because that is what is in the center of my grill.
Since then I have not spent much time on the Chevelle website.
Having way too much fun here.
Making numerous friends and attending GTG's as often as we can.

Thank you again, Chief, for this site.
And thank all of you for listening (reading.)
« Last Edit: 12/16/05 07:41 PM by GoldBowTie »
Av #1 2002 Onyx Black Z71  200 MONTHS of ownership (Oct 01 - today) and 68390 miles.
147 GTG's attended in: OH, WV, TN, NY, MI, Canada, IN, NH, KY, GA, PA, NC, IA, and MO.

Av #3 2009 Black LTZ  62 months of ownership (Mar 13 - today) and 145707 miles.
(124594 when bought)
23 GTG's attended in: WV, OH, PA, IN and MI

Av #2 2003 Yellow Z71 WBH  18 MONTHS of ownership (Sep 11 - Mar 13) and 9302 miles added.
(101764 at delivery, 111066 at trade-in) Traded for 2009
19 GTG's attended in: OH, MI, PA, WV

enkeiavalanche

« Reply #33 on: 12/16/05 08:01 PM »

That was long but a good read.......Great story.. I'm sure we all have a story that ends up the same way.. I know I ordered a Tahoe Z71 at first then I heard that they were not going to put the lights in the roof rack  :E: Like in the Booklit, So the dealer said to me.. Would you like one of the first Avalanche's sold in the US?  I said HELL YEA!!!!!!! :A:  After having it for a while and showing it. I was at a Corvette Show in Mahwah NJ and this guy walked up to me and gave me a card..  He said go on this site...So I did......And the rest is History...

:A: :B: This Truck...

Big Blockhead

• If at first you don't succeed.... pay someone
« Reply #34 on: 12/16/05 08:46 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.  If it weren't for this site, Janet would be driving an '04 dark green WBH and I would still be piecing together an  '85  S-10 Blazer
'05 2500 Dark Grey Metalic conceived on Sept 11, 2004- Born Oct 30,2004- Allowed to come home 6hrs after delivery-Moms doing fine. amber FT/DRLs-4 on high-Fogs on high-VR Straps-Z85 decals from Tribal Av-Carriles bowtie-Enkieavalanche four fenders-TnT diamond plate steps-LOF-Fender plug-Cup Holders in rear bumper-Maglight Mod-6"ProComp lift-315/70/17BFG AT KO's on polished and chromed H2 wheels-Westin ovals-HP tuner-2002 roof rack-Prodigy Brake Controller

Z66 BUTCH

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
  • I love Dachshunds
« Reply #35 on: 12/16/05 08:54 PM »

Good stories Chief and GoldBowTie, I have one to but am to tired to type it up now..................

Butch

SabreXray

« Reply #36 on: 12/17/05 02:54 AM »

Chief,

why did you buy a GP?  I would think you of all people would be a loyal Av owner.

JP
2005 Sport Red Metallic Avalanche Z71

SabreXray

« Reply #37 on: 12/17/05 03:55 AM »

okay found it myself.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,44655.0.html

I am 6'2" and could not stand driving the Grand Prix with the seat reclined way back anymore.  I love being able to sit up in my Av.  I would never buy another Grand Prix, fun yes, practical for tall drivers (me), no.

JP
2005 Sport Red Metallic Avalanche Z71

MyBigToy

• Too much power is just enough!
« Reply #38 on: 12/17/05 05:16 AM »

I actually found the site through a Google search. I was looking for some tube steps and the site came up. I bought my truck at the end of June 2002 and found the site in early July. I did a lot of lurking before I finally decided to join. I also spend way too much time on this site!
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, custom metal rear step bumper. Best vehicle I have owned to date!

Daily driver: 2012 Centennial edition 4LT Grand Sport Corvette convertible

GoldBowTie

• Have you hugged your Avalanche today?
« Reply #39 on: 12/17/05 07:57 AM »

Good stories Chief and GoldBowTie, I have one to but am to tired to type it up now..................

Butch

You get some rest   :5:  and I'll wait.  :)
Av #1 2002 Onyx Black Z71  200 MONTHS of ownership (Oct 01 - today) and 68390 miles.
147 GTG's attended in: OH, WV, TN, NY, MI, Canada, IN, NH, KY, GA, PA, NC, IA, and MO.

Av #3 2009 Black LTZ  62 months of ownership (Mar 13 - today) and 145707 miles.
(124594 when bought)
23 GTG's attended in: WV, OH, PA, IN and MI

Av #2 2003 Yellow Z71 WBH  18 MONTHS of ownership (Sep 11 - Mar 13) and 9302 miles added.
(101764 at delivery, 111066 at trade-in) Traded for 2009
19 GTG's attended in: OH, MI, PA, WV

Tdybr27

• Good bye ol' pal.
    • CAC
« Reply #40 on: 12/17/05 08:35 AM »

I feel like I stepped into the wayback machine!

My first Av was bought in Oct of 02 and I joined in Nov 02, found this site thru Google as many others have
Gone but not forgotten.   Good bye old pal.

Yakmar

• A long time ago, in an Avalanche far away.......
« Reply #41 on: 12/17/05 08:58 AM »

I remember the Karma days, I was about 50/50 between -,+.   

Wasn't YaK -1286/+32  ?

:P  :P  I am quite well behaved now , comparatively!     :4:
2002 SOM Av, traded for a 2007 Grey Av, traded for a 2009 Silverado LTZ, traded for current 2011 Silverado 2500HD.... but my one true love always goes back to the Av.

Tdybr27

• Good bye ol' pal.
    • CAC
« Reply #42 on: 12/17/05 09:46 AM »

:P  :P  I am quite well behaved now , comparatively!     :4:

says who?   :4:

Z66 BUTCH

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
  • I love Dachshunds
« Reply #43 on: 12/17/05 09:51 AM »

You get some rest   :5:  and I'll wait.  :)

We were shopping and thinking about a Tahoe or maybe even a Burb. This was in Feb of '02 and I had not paid any attention to the newly released Avalanches. We walked by them on the lot any my wife said, hey how about one of those? Well they were all dirty and I dismissed them as "not for me" and walked right on by them.

We drove a Tahoe and even a Trailblazer and had all but decided on buying a Tahoe. I told my wife we would not buy today as I wanted to talk to my brother who has had several Tahoes and Burbs to make sure I got the equipment on it that I needed. While talking to him he said If he were buying now he would look at that new Avalanche! He told me what it did, how it converted and was excited about it.

Well I had hardly even heard of them so I got home and started researching them on the INTERNET. I decided that If I got one a Z66 would suit our needs the best. So armed with my new information we headed back to the dealer to drive one. I ask the dealer if they had a Z66 and they did not even know what that was! They had several Z71's on the lot but I wanted to drive a 2 wheel drive. The salesman said well there is one in the back that just got unloaded off of the transporter. It was not cleaned up and they had not transfered the paperwork to the dealer yet. He said I could drive it but he would need to ride along because of the paperwork deal. I said fine but I want the midgate down to see how much road noise comes into the cab since we would be traveling that way a lot of the time. He helped me fold the midgate down, jumped up there and set with his legs crossed while we took it for a nice drive.

I could not make a deal with that dealer so we headed over to a place where I have bought many Chevy's in the past. I found my salesman and we started looking for what I wanted, again he had never heard of or seen a Z66! We found one in Louisville, Ky and they went and got it for us. When it came in we happened to be driving by the dealership and found most of the salesmen and some of the mechanics outside looking at it! Of course we pulled in took a look ourselves! It looked great, I was impressed that is had the very same stance as the 4 wheel drives and Z 71's!

We picked it up the very next day and it was love at first ride! The first stop was at my brothers to show him what he talked us into. He never did buy one but still loves ours! We are still driving that first Avalanche and it has about 48,000 miles on it now. I cannot see myself trading it anytime soon as it is just getting everything on it that we love.

It took me a while to find the club, I think it was September the 23rd 2002. I was searching for something Avalanche related and up it popped! I joined that fiirst day and have been here since.

Butch

Flint4x4

« Reply #44 on: 12/17/05 10:49 AM »

Chief's membership date is 01/10/2002 "club inception"

I ordered my first Avalanche 04/10/2001
I found the club and joined 03/10/2004

While I missed the early days of CAFCNA I was an Avalanche fan from it's debut as a concept at the autoshow. Funny coincidence about 10th of month dates. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate the Avalanche a 10  :B:

naylor99

• Charter Member
  • "The future is not what it used to be" A C Clarke
« Reply #45 on: 12/17/05 02:56 PM »

I recall seeing Chief's post on Edmunds, and being curious enough to check it out.  I joined in Feb 2002 when I had my first AV, and have been regularly on the site since. I am now on my second AV, a 2005, and plan to continue visiting CAFCNA forever!

Thanks Chief, for creating this outstanding community venue. A big thanks as well to all the contributors who make it so great!

--BN

2013 BLK/BLK 4WD LTZ : Ambers, BedRug, EZ Down, LED bed lights, Maglite Mod, Brushed Alum/Black vinyl interior upgrade, puddle light projectors, LED hitch step, more to come...
2005 Victory Red/Tan WBH Z66 (Sold)
2003 White (long gone)
Member 163, joined 2/15/02

code4av

« Reply #46 on: 01/31/06 03:55 PM »

Thank you, Chief.
2003 S O M Base- And I mean BASE. Not even a tow hitch!- born 6/19/2003 adopted 9/30/2003, FT SS adrl's, M1, colour match bowtie,  vent visors,xenon 9006 bulbs,stripeman letters, All4onHI,  hitch reciever, TOC, Mid deck, CIPA clip-on tow mirrors, Platinum series cluster,Magnaflow muffler and tip, pro cold, not much else... YET  Member #8704

Pending: , tint , leather bench seat kit, step bars/running boards

"I ain't got a dime, but what I've got is mine. I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free."

PUNISHER

« Reply #47 on: 01/31/06 04:53 PM »

i thank you Chief for creating a place for me, and others alike, to come discuss matters of the AV, and what not.  not only have i learned a lot about the truck, but i have made some cool friends.  friends are something i don't have have a lot of time for outside of work.  between my schedule at work, honey-do's at home, and the gym my days are full.  but i can always pull up a chair in front of the computer, and talk to my 12k plus friends of the AV world. 

thanks you for giving me something to do with myself after sitting home for 30 plus days (60 days twice) after 5 knee surgeries.  that's how my post count got so high. :4:

i love this club!! :A:
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #48 on: 01/31/06 08:56 PM »

We love having you as a member.

nh_mark

« Reply #49 on: 02/01/06 04:13 AM »

That was an interesting read.  I remember the Edmunds days and the thread where you told people about this site. 

I loved the Av in those days and I would read as much as I could about them.  It took me a while before I was finally able to buy one but once I did I became a member here.

Thanks Chief.

-Mark
Member No. 1434
Current - 2008 Cadillac CTS4 - Black Cherry, Lux Pkg, Sport Pkg, 3.6 DI

Used to have - 2002 Indigo Blue Z71, Assist steps, Sunroof, Av windshield graphic, Av bug deflector, Av mudflaps, Magnaflow muffler, LOF, Full time Amber DRLs, Av mountain logo on 'C' pillar and on sun visors, AMP fuel door. Painted "Avalanche" on cladding with Testors chrome silver paint. BFG 285's, Painted bowties on hubcaps.

Loggie

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • What made it all happen--The Original Concept
    • Pics of AV
« Reply #50 on: 02/08/06 12:06 AM »

Good read!  Thanks :wave:

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #51 on: 02/08/06 09:22 AM »

Thanks Mark & Loggie.  Both of you are valuable members to club - I appreciate all both of you have done over the years.

Need4Speed

• Charter Member
    • Half-breed
« Reply #52 on: 02/11/06 05:44 AM »

I joined in Jan 2002, but then changed my username a few weeks later, I wish I knew my original login name so I could be considered a charter member. Edmunds asked the Chief to stop posting his link, but that didn't stop me from posting the link and information every few weeks  :4:.
2002 Z-71 Black, 2003 EXT Diamond White

SoCalCindy

• Charter Member
  • Can't Get Enough!
    • SoCalAvalanche.com
« Reply #53 on: 02/11/06 06:13 AM »

Yep. Me too. I also found the club through Chief's post on Edmunds way back in the day before I purchased my first AV. Actually, I think I lurked until I bought the AV in Feb 02. Now like so many others, I'm also on AV #2 and lovin' it.

My family and I have met SO MANY wonderful people and had so much fun over the last several years through our association with this club. Man... Who woulda thunk it?

So thanks again Chief... for setting it all into motion. :1:  ;)

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK!

NOW ~ 06 DBM, 6" Bulletproof Lift, 35" Baja Claws, 17" Weld Racing Dunes,  Precision Grill, CubbyCam, BedSlide, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Outlaw CAI, Dual Batteries, AVIC-Z3, DVD & Headrest LCDs, KC Hilites, Yakima Rack, 4.56 Gears, Superchips, Goodmark Cowl Hood...

PAST ~ 2002 IBM ~ Painted Cladding ~ 18" Helo Slides & much more!

60+ GTG's and counting...

amd1900mp

• My Facebook page
« Reply #54 on: 02/11/06 06:37 AM »

Need4Speed = member 160
SoCalCindy = member 167

That's cool...

Av'n It,
Todd

Help spread the word
Thank you, Todd

My Facebook page

Ghost

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Aye, Laddie...Ya got any beer?
« Reply #55 on: 02/11/06 08:04 AM »

I too found this Site via Edmunds...

Ditto.  The Chief snagged me with a reply to a question I had on the truck to check out the site. 

While I no longer own the beast, I miss it terribly.  Thanks again Chief for the history lesson.  It was fun reminiscing...

R.I.P Burner
1961-2008

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #56 on: 02/11/06 09:17 AM »

Thanks to all of you.  A special thank to SoCalCindy who has done an absolutely amazing job down in Soutern California putting together with others some of the largest get togethers.  I miss my Avalanche too - and seeing the 2007 and improvements, especially with DoD technology, my driveway arrangements may change.

Yakmar

• A long time ago, in an Avalanche far away.......
« Reply #57 on: 02/11/06 09:26 AM »

Thanks to all of you.  A special thank to SoCalCindy who has done an absolutely amazing job down in Soutern California putting together with others some of the largest get togethers.  I miss my Avalanche too - and seeing the 2007 and improvements, especially with DoD technology, my driveway arrangements may change.

Go on Chief!! I 'd expect to see you driving around in a RIDGELINE!! :P
2002 SOM Av, traded for a 2007 Grey Av, traded for a 2009 Silverado LTZ, traded for current 2011 Silverado 2500HD.... but my one true love always goes back to the Av.

amd1900mp

• My Facebook page
« Reply #58 on: 02/11/06 09:34 AM »

my driveway arrangements may change. ... hope so Chief! That would be nice.

Av'n It,
Todd

Help spread the word
Thank you, Todd

My Facebook page

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #59 on: 02/11/06 09:36 AM »

I would wait for the GMT900 to be out and pick up a used LTZ.  I like having my toys, but the barrier to entry is pretty steep on the 2007 Avalanche if you load 'em out.  My bigger priority is a bigger house, and in this real estate market - yikes.  Come on stock - GO UP!!!

zzo2

• Charter Member
  • Avalanche! Yea Baby!
« Reply #60 on: 03/27/06 11:33 PM »

Been awhile since I have been on the site . . . :cool:

I can say that I Goggled the site early in 2002 and hit it right away since I used the word Fan Club . . . go figure!!

I bought my Black Z66 in early January of '02 and it was only a few days later I was up and learning!!

I joined the club as No. 175 and I can tell you the sense of community that existed then is even stronger today.

It is sites like these that allows end users to communicate, collaborate and bond - something that we never had with the old forms of communication and taken ownership to a level that challenges typical legacies of vehicle seller versus vehicle owner.

Chief, I am very impressed with you beginnings and your ability not only to grow an organization but to hang tough to run an organization . . .

Will visit more often . . .

rK99

• Don't forget to bring an AV! 78800 mi and counting
« Reply #61 on: 03/27/06 11:51 PM »

Great stories, and a great history lesson!

I found this site by a Google search in July 02.  I lurked for months and months, finally joining in March 03, almost 2 months before I became an Av owner.

Heath

PS Those old screens bring back memories.
2003 Onyx Black, Z-71, leather, bose, sunroof, 4.10 gears, steering wheel controls.  Mods:  GM roof rack, tinting, WeatherTech (bug shield, weather flectors), Maglite mod and fire extinguisher in TB, Silverstars (lows, highs, fogs, signals), LOF, K&N FIPK2 w/Filter wrap, MAF Sensor, cabin air filter retrofit, Denali cluster

dday

• Falcons fan 4 life!
« Reply #62 on: 04/04/06 02:46 PM »

Ah yes the olden times back in 20 dickady 2, those old sites brought back memories, thanks for sharing Chief.

02' Z71 Full leather, billet grill and bow tie, complete after market stereo system, tinted windows, K&N air filter, Silver Star low and foglights, amber DRLs, billet fuel door, auto trim design sticker sets, Flomaster 40 series muffler and...........Full time DRLs and all on head lights.

Check out my AV at http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2125771/1

echoball

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #63 on: 01/18/07 02:15 PM »

Chief,

I found this site via a Google search.  Owning a AV '02, and coming up on my extended warranty expiration date, I wanted to get more informed and learn if anyone else shared some of my pain and also enjoyment.  Your site is absolutely terrific.  Power & knowledge is in the masses.  You provided us a great feeling of knowing where to turn when you want to share or receive information on such a unique vehicle, the AV.   :B:

I'm looking forward to a very rewarding relationship with CAFCNA. 

Echoball.

2007CSI

• 2007 LTZ
« Reply #64 on: 01/18/07 03:53 PM »

Great to hear the history of the site. It is really well put together and organized.

I love the story of how you didn't like the Avy at first.  I think I have mentioned this once before here, but I was in one of the early focus groups when they were testing how people would react to "a truck that would have a folding midgate and convert with a few easy steps into different configuations".

I said, Nah, I wouldn't buy one... 

Well, I bought one of the first ones in 8/2001 and just bought another this year. I'm glad they didn't listen to me! :B:
2007 LTZ - Leather, sunroof, 20"s, white - everything available except a block heater... Add-ons include full emergency vehicle package - Undercover strobes and siren.

joeami

• 6" lift....Size Matters, Indeed
« Reply #65 on: 02/20/07 04:31 PM »

The wierdest thing is, I have seen that swoosh page before. Back at the site's inception, I was only 12 and the most I did on the computer was play games. Chief, thanks for creating such a great site for every one to get as much information as possible on a truck we all love.
2003 Z71 CLADDED JL Stealthbox JL 500/1 amp Kenwood 6019 w/ navigation pro comp 6" lift 35x12.5x17 pro comp xtreme a/t tires 4.56 gears moto metal 951 black rims MX6 shocks ambers Silverstars GMC clip AFE cai Superchips programmer limo tint full time DRLs and all-on-high Bestop Pads with Power Slot rotors iPhone integration with bluetooth handsfree NEWEST MOD: scrapped the gibson for a flowmaster :D
Aqua Avs Society[/url

chevydragon

• Dragon Rider
« Reply #66 on: 03/03/07 03:04 PM »

Thanks for creating this site, wish I had joined when I first bought my AV. Info and ideas are outstanding. If this site didnt exist there would still be questions I would be asking, and no answers to be found.

Great history, great story, thanks again.
Kirkland :2002 AV Northface Mods in progress.  Completed : Dragon steering wheel cover, chrome dragon emblems, amber drl, visor emblems, dragon hitch cover, maglite mod. custom windshield decal,

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #67 on: 05/21/09 09:48 AM »

Bump

I thought I would give some newer members a history lesson about the site.
2003 2500

windtech

• Nothing to see here, move along...
    • Green Earth Designs
« Reply #68 on: 05/21/09 03:20 PM »

That was clever, thanks for the bump... I wondered how the site came about.
2005 Av 1500, Z71 WBH, Dark Ming Blue Metallic
Ambers, FTDRL/All4Hi, Hood/Window deflectors, receiver brakelight, hardwired (mirror) Passport
Flowmaster S40, K&N Air Filter, Lighted footwells

Tango Chaser

« Reply #69 on: 05/21/09 03:25 PM »

we have a "news" section???

ekgguy

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
  • It is no fun to be AV-less
« Reply #70 on: 05/21/09 05:59 PM »

thanks for the "bump" MS03. That was a nice history lesson. I wasnt here for the beginning, but I got here as fast as I could.
Sold 2013

Looking for a new one now!!!

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #71 on: 05/21/09 06:40 PM »

Dayum I have been here a long time.
 and owned my avy even longer... 8 yrs this september and I might hit 100k then
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

MS03 2500

« Reply #72 on: 05/21/09 08:24 PM »

I was glad when I saw this post when I first saw a AV I thought it was butt ugly too.

But you can't beat it for versatility
2003 2500

ava327

• yes its an AVALANCHE NO YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT!!!
« Reply #73 on: 05/29/09 08:42 PM »

wow that was some story this is why i love the avalanche  :D
02 white Z66 , mods so far K&N, Maganaflow XL dumped, Cut out before exhaust,Hella 500, Z71 skidplate , Z71shocks, Toyo open country H/T,CST lift keys, Optima red top,

MS03 2500

« Reply #74 on: 05/29/09 08:46 PM »

Yeah some of these old posts give you a idea of how forums get started.
2003 2500

ava327

« Reply #75 on: 05/29/09 10:02 PM »

4 sho
02 white Z66 , mods so far K&N, Maganaflow XL dumped, Cut out before exhaust,Hella 500, Z71 skidplate , Z71shocks, Toyo open country H/T,CST lift keys, Optima red top,

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
« Reply #76 on: 06/05/09 11:23 AM »

Wow, didn't know this thread got bumped up.  Thanks for the kudos all.

ava327

« Reply #77 on: 06/09/09 03:51 PM »

i think every one likes a little history from our country's to this forum.

Z66Modder

• Region V Area
« Reply #78 on: 10/13/09 12:17 PM »

That's so cool the test page links still work.  :cool:

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

Texascwgrl

• Charter Member
  • Pavement Princess
    • AV pics
« Reply #79 on: 01/10/10 10:03 AM »

Chief,
You, the AVALANCHE and CAFCNA have impacted me in a way I cannot even express through words.  I still remember that phone call I received from you about me running my own club, ooops!  And how kind you were to get my personal information off the Chevy website..., wow, it seems like a life time ago.

Thanks for all that you have done for the site and its members.

Member 431
Joined   03/30/02

Texascwgrl

Texascwgrl's AV Pics
2002 Pewter Z-66 CWGRL Avalanche
Born 5/01  Bought 6/01
Frame date:  May 26, 2001

More of Texascwgrl's AV Pics

Flint4x4

« Reply #80 on: 01/10/10 10:37 AM »

such a conglomeration of fools/fanatics deserves to be noted  :thumbsup: 

I was alone for 3 years and found a home here when I was only looking for mods  ::) 

MS03 2500

« Reply #81 on: 01/10/10 10:49 AM »

Same here Flint I was searching google to learn more about the Avalanche and came across the site. It was 2 weeks after I joined before I posted and said hello in Michigan needless to say that several thousand post ago. :4:
2003 2500

Flint4x4

« Reply #82 on: 01/10/10 11:33 AM »

Same here Flint I was searching google to learn more about the Avalanche and came across the site. It was 2 weeks after I joined before I posted and said hello in Michigan needless to say that several thousand post ago. :4:

That was my point and I believe CHIEF's point, it took some guy from 2,000 miles away in Washington State to get us to connect. At the inception of CAFCNA I presume Chief was not thinking about two guys from Michigan that would otherwise have never met becoming friends.  :P 

btw-I was using excite search rather than google 

cadboy1

« Reply #83 on: 01/10/10 04:44 PM »

How can you find out what member number you are  ???
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

irontrain

• Chicago BULLS #1
« Reply #84 on: 01/10/10 05:14 PM »

Go to the home page. Toward the bottom you will see forum stats, click on [more stats]. 2nd page At the General Statistics box click the underlined number of total members.3rd page At the top of the table click date registered. Count till you find your username.

presume Chief was not thinking about two guys from Michigan

No really he was.
This space for rent

Tdybr27

• Good bye ol' pal.
    • CAC
« Reply #85 on: 01/11/10 06:01 AM »

the EASY way is to put your mouse over your name and look at the bottom of the page, the last letters/numbers will be u=XXXX that XXXX is your number

Texascwgrl

• Charter Member
  • Pavement Princess
    • AV pics
« Reply #86 on: 01/11/10 09:24 AM »

OR go to your profile, and look in the address window!

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=profile;u=1090

You are member 1090  :cool:

Texascwgrl's AV Pics
Born 5/01  Bought 6/01

thomsen05

« Reply #87 on: 01/11/10 11:23 AM »

Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes

Texascwgrl

• Charter Member
  • Pavement Princess
    • AV pics
« Reply #88 on: 01/11/10 12:47 PM »

Mine has no number :needhug:   it stops here http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=profile;u

Here is yours:  action=profile;u=59299

Texascwgrl's AV Pics
Born 5/01  Bought 6/01

irontrain

• Chicago BULLS #1
« Reply #89 on: 01/11/10 02:07 PM »

I haven't used either method in such a while I forgot about them. Thanks to Texascwgrl and Tdybr27 for helping us out. I remember this came up before some time back. Anyone want to search and find the old thread? Thanks
This space for rent

thomsen05

« Reply #90 on: 01/11/10 06:21 PM »

Here is yours:  action=profile;u=59299

Thank you.......... :A:
Chris

2002 avalanche pewter,4:10 gears, Superchipped 5.3ltr, 3" Ready lift level kit, Stainless steel diamond plate inserts, Amber drl's, K&N FIPK, MSD wires, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Nerf bars, Blue superbright puddles, fabtech steering stabilizer, altezza smoked tail lights 50W back up lights....to be added: strobes

K-9 kennellanche

• Off to the Races!
« Reply #91 on: 01/11/10 06:53 PM »

and now everyone has sold their avalanches to get another pos, your welcome  :needhug:
please have simple banners and signatures so we can read the thread :-)

amd1900mp

• My Facebook page
« Reply #92 on: 01/25/10 01:14 PM »

Joined March of 2003, member 5093.. 100,000 plus miles later and still rock'n!

Help spread the word
Thank you, Todd

My Facebook page

Texascwgrl

• Charter Member
  • Pavement Princess
    • AV pics
« Reply #93 on: 02/19/10 10:09 AM »

Your welcome all!

:A: :A: :A: :A: :A:

Texascwgrl's AV Pics
Born 5/01  Bought 6/01

Padre

• CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member
    • Penmanchip
« Reply #94 on: 05/20/12 10:12 AM »

I wasn't here for the first almost two years, but joined:    Date Registered:    02/18/04 07:30 PM  Have no idea what my member number is, all I know is that this has always been a great site.

There are some folks I used to chat a lot with back in 04/05 who just aren't around anymore.  They were good folk, but it looks like there are a LOT more good folk around now too!
Padre (Chip)
2011 Victory Red LS

RED LANCHE

« Reply #95 on: 04/11/15 06:05 PM »

This is awesome!    :yourock:

Randy

• Charter Member
  • I charge more than a buck$
« Reply #96 on: 04/12/15 11:09 PM »

Yes this has been a great site since day 1, no question thanks to Chief and all who all that have made it possible over the years. I was lucky to find it when I too was a new Avalanche owner looking for info and others who had one.

I pick up my AV on 11-23-2001 and found this site after finding another member (gandolphxx) who had his own web site and had a thread on there about his AV 2500 and all he was doing to it.

His site pointed me to CAFCNA and I signed up as soon as I found it, that was 3/6/2002 @ 1:32PM Member # 182. I still have my 2002 Avalanche 2500, it has 231,000 plus miles and have no plans on getting rid of it.
02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP

4x4dreamer

• Have you checked your local GTG thread?
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: 04/13/15 06:36 AM »

I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found CAFCNA. Some of the guys here really are like a second family to me. Not to mention, the endless information that I've found throughout the 7 years of being a member here.  :thumbsup:

Im truly thankful to the guys that got this site started in the early days, and those that maintain it today.

It can't be easy putting up with all of us, but somehow they manage  :4:

I was worried when the 02 started falling apart that we wouldn't be in an Av much longer, but luckily we found our Black Diamond for a great price.  :thumbsup:

Here's to MANY more years of fellowship, all because of one truck, and one club.  :cheers: Hats off to you, CAFCNA  :notworthy:

-Ian
2013 Black Diamond LTZ

Willow LS

« Reply #98 on: 04/19/15 08:09 AM »

x2 :B:
2000 Lincoln LS (This thing is AWESOME and now my wife gets to drive it :( )
2002 Ford Explorer (The family car)
2002 Chevy Avalanche DEAD I really liked my cladded AVY   :'(
2003 Chevy Avalanche WBH Z71 (all the fun of the truck but can still fit car seats)
I don't always drive in blizzard conditions, but when I do I am in an Avalanche!

TheSpartanKnight

« Reply #99 on: 01/11/17 07:24 AM »

I bought our 2004 back in 2010, when I was on orders to Alaska. Those fell through and we went to Hawai'i. 180 degrees, I know. But we settled for it ;)

However, thanks to owning a 1979, a big ol turd, and THE 1971 Scout II "Middleton Maggie" (sorry, still super proud) I learned the uncalculable value of a good forum. Scout West was it on the IH side, various other forums for our Neon, Cobalt, and any vehicle I'd looked into owning. To include Audizine for my current car, the Avvy is the wifes :D

But this place, CAFCNA, is hands down better than them all. Simple and effective. But still stylized enough not to be cheap.

I've actually been off the forum for several weeks due to a password/email issue, and the withdrawal was real.
1st Avvy: 2004 Z71, "Charlie", bone stock save for the 20" wheels.
2nd Avvy: 2009 LTZ w/6.0L and 6L80, "Sixer", in Imperial Blue Metallic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 23 queries.