• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Door chime Mod

christinaval

Have you ever wanted to clean the inside of your Av with the radio on and not have to listen to that annoying chime?

Here's how to eliminate the chime:
Remove the knee bolster underneath the steering wheel. Find the BCM (body control module). There are 3 connectors going into the BCM. From left to right they are numbered C1, C2 & C3. Locate C2. In C2 locate the wire going to pin connecter B9. The wire is light green. Cut this wire. Now the chime is gone. No other part of the electrical system will be affected by cutting the light green wire.

now, dayaam girl, that is about as precise answer to a mod as ever been posted. I think im just gonna do it, first gonna try to just push the wire out of the connector, thanks for this mod idea!!!!!

HA, I love it. Good going AV-girl. I'm going to kill that bothersome dinger tomorrow. Thanks for all the work.

Steve

Very cool.

I will do this one >:D

Is that when you open the door into that post that is beside the gas pumps. I did that mod on my Ranger I had when I had had it a week. Glad for Cladding!

Seriously though that sounds like a good idea. I hate that noise!

avalanche girl said:
Have you ever wanted to clean the inside of your Av with the radio on and not have to listen to that annoying chime?

Here's how to eliminate the chime:
Nice mod. However, you left out the last step: Make sure you don't leave the keys in the ignition by mistake! >:D (This is not the voice of experience talking here :rolleyes: )

What signal is this? The door is open input, the key is in the ignition input, or the chime output? Will this affect the feature that won't lock the driver door if the key is in the ignition?

You obviously have the shop manual, and you've been studying wiring diagrams. Which page is this one on?

-- SS

Thanks for the mod!

I really like the ones that don't cost me alot of money, besides that chime makes my head hurt.

Thanks for the mod, avalanche girl! ?(y)

ShapeShifter said:
What signal is this? The door is open input, the key is in the ignition input, or the chime output? Will this affect the feature that won't lock the driver door if the key is in the ignition?
The GM shop manual says the light green wire is for "Key in Ignition Switch" signal. It doesn't look like it's for any other function.

Congelado said:
The GM shop manual says the light green wire is for "Key in Ignition Switch" signal. It doesn't look like it's for any other function.
OK, I found it in the book, page 8-786. Yes, this is a simple wire which is grounded when the key is inserted. The question is for what else besides the chime does the BCM use this signal?

One that comes to mind is the lockout prevention. With the driver's door open, and the key in the ignition, press the power door lock button. All doors will lock, and then the driver's door will unlock a second later. Does this still happen with that wire cut?

When my wife gets out of the car, she often leans on the passenger arm rest and unintentionally locks (or sometimes unlocks) the doors. If I'm dropping her off somewhere and helping her get something out of the back, I would hate to be locked out. This feature has already saved me at least twice. I for one wouldn't like to lose it.

Can anyone who has clipped this wire confirm if the lockout prevention still works?

I hate to rain on the parade, but I wonder if there is any other use the BCM has for this signal?

-- SS

If I want to listen to the radio without the chime going off, I toggle the "V" shaped door striker in the door with my finger to the down position and the chime stops. When your done just pull the door handle on the inside of the door and the striker toggles up and you can close the door. No cutting wires!!

Great mod, but I like AV3's mod even better...

Now, if I can just remember to undo it before slamming the door against the closed latch.... ???

Where is the chimer thingy itself? SS another manual mission of research for you >:D

I remember on older cars just ripping that puppy out.... >:D

I have never noticed the chime except when I leave the blinker on too long and it chimes....I guess I do not open the door much with the key in ignition....

I have never noticed the chime except when I leave the blinker on too long and it chimes....I guess I do not open the door much with the key in ignition....

Had her since February.........and just noticed the blinker on too long chime this weekend.............pretty cool!

Key in the switch chimes have saved me from lockout on several occasions . . mine will stay connected. Headlight on reminders are also OK IMO.

My chime related pet peeve is seatbelt warning chimes. I like to crank the engine first and then fasten the belt . . the chime is a pain. What I find really frustrating is that GM divisions don't talk to eachother. My Saturn has a delay on this function. It gives you 10 seconds or so after the engine is running before the chime starts to alert you if your seatbelt is unfastened. Nice feature.

bmontini said:
Great mod, but I like AV3's mod even better... ?

Now, if I can just remember to undo it before slamming the door against the closed latch.... ???
Well, at least it's got a built-in reminder. Forget to undo it, and the door just sort-of goes klunk and pops open again. ?:2:

ygmn said:
Where is the chimer thingy itself? ?SS another manual mission of research for you >:D
Actually, my experience is that using the manual to find the location of a small part like that is an excercise in frustration. If it mentions where it is, it's usually just in general terms. Also, the index is pretty poor: if what you're looking for is in the index, it's usualy under a diffent name than you would expect, or it's just not in there. If the CD-ROM has a text search ability, that would be a distinct advantage.

BUCKEYEAV said:
Had her since February.........and just noticed the blinker on too long chime this weekend.............pretty cool!
That's good. If you're driving correctly, you should never even know it's there! >:D

Just today I was following a little import who had his right blinker on for about 5 miles. Annoying! :mad:

It stayed that way until we reached some construction where the right lane was closed. The only reason he turned off the right signal, was so he could signal left when his lane dissappeared. Oh well, at least he signalled for the lane change! :p

wrchism said:
My Saturn has a delay on this function. ?It gives you 10 seconds or so after the engine is running before the chime starts to alert you if your seatbelt is unfastened. ?Nice feature.
That is a nice feature. I always wear my seatbelt, so I find the immediate insistance to fasten it annoying. I'd really appreciate it if it gave me a chance to do put them on first, and only complained if I didn't. :8:

-- SS

ygmn said:
Where is the chimer thingy itself? ?SS another manual mission of research for you >:D

I remember on older cars just ripping that puppy out.... >:D

The chimer thingy is an integral part of the BCM. It can not be accessed.

Why don't you just turn the key on? The radio turns on without the dingers. I usually turn my fan to Off to keep the battery fresh. Seems like an even easier "mod". ;)

Good question Fish . . .

Used to be leaving the ignition on was a bad idea because the current though the coil and points (some of you are too young to remember those little devils!) would cause things to get hot and drain the battery in a big hurry. Even in this electronic world, I'm sure that there is a higher current draw in the 'on' position than there is in the 'acc' position, but how much? Are there any other concerns with leaving the ignition 'on' without cranking the engine . . . .

Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

I believe WR is correct. The ignition should be powered up with the key in this position. In the old days of ignition points, this would burn out their contacts. The electric fuel pump will likely be running as well.

Why not just roll down the windows?

The chime only works when the drivers door is open. ???

Back