Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America Logo
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you want a cabin air filter in your 2003 and up Avy!?!  (Read 78504 times)

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

As many of you know, GM loves to save a buck, so along with the underhood light and several other small but useful things, they deleted the cabin air filter in 2003 and newer Avalanche's (and every other GMT-800 vehicle). I definetly notice dust collecting in my 2005 truck and Id imagine it be even worse out west where its dusty and dry.

BUT...there is hope... Tom Bacon, a member at The Diesel Place (GM Duramax forum, I beleive a couple Avy guys from CAFCNA are members there too), has put together a nice cabin air filter retrofit kit complete with parts and instructions for the 2003 and up GMT-800 trucks/SUV's. I figured since there were a couple threads about the lack of cabin air filter that the Avy guys (and girls!) might be interested in it... Here is all the info...Im not sure if you have to be a member or not to view the page, but if you do, I can copy the info or have Tom post it... Hope this helps! I personally have not had a chance to do my cabin air filter upgrade yet but I definetly plan to before the summer when it gets dusty again...

--Ben

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53218
-2005 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, LT, CC/SB, 4x4, Black-
BD Supermax turbo!!! Suncoast IV trans, custom EFILive tunes, XM, Escalade LUX TNR/CDX, 11 Bose speakers! AFE stage 2, Escalade handles, tierod Sleeves, 18" Eagle's/BFG 285's, MBRP Cool duals, HID's, Denali Wood steering wheel/wood window switches, Prodigy brake controller, Autometer Nexus EGT/Boost gauges, roof lamps, "Denalified" interior with Denali center console!!!
...if I won the lottery, I'd put an Avy body on my Dmax...

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Great find! I book marked the page and might just have to order that kit... :wave:
sssMOked 2004 Onyx Black/LPM Z71

www.myspace.com/sssmokinav

cadboy1

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

If I read that correct you first have to determine what style box you have? As an allergy sufferer I would jump on this :A:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

I beleive as long as you have a 2003 or up Avy, the kit will work... There are two options basically for the filter type. One is the OEM GM filter that fit in the 2002 and earlier trucks, and the other is a higher quality finer charcoal filter that will also remove odors...

--Ben
BD Supermax turbo!!! Suncoast IV trans, custom EFILive tunes, XM, Escalade LUX TNR/CDX, 11 Bose speakers! AFE stage 2, Escalade handles, tierod Sleeves, 18" Eagle's/BFG 285's, MBRP Cool duals, HID's, Denali Wood steering wheel/wood window switches, Prodigy brake controller, Autometer Nexus EGT/Boost gauges, roof lamps, "Denalified" interior with Denali center console!!!

cadboy1

I still have a bunch of filters from when I had an 02 :A:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

i get this weird smell...intermittently...cant really describe it (kinda metallic-y) and I am hoping the charcoal filter will eliminate it.

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

it should...charcoal filters are good at scrubbing smells out of the air...not just particles such as dust..

bigbadblue

• CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member
  • Now that I have it... is there anything more?

duramaxHD.... Absolutly GREAT post/mod. Bookmarked pending AVy hvac system inspection in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks for the info...  bbb.
Bob and Lu's BIGBADBLUE Z8505DBM-AV2500LT... Born 06/08/05-adopted 07/30/05

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

glad everyone is excited about this!! I know I am....

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

yeah, it's just a matter of who's gonna do it first...

cadboy1

duramaxHD.... Absolutly GREAT post/mod. Bookmarked pending AVy hvac system inspection in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks for the info...  bbb.

Same here. I hope I have the first HVAC system :A:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Same here. I hope I have the first HVAC system :A:

it's on...let's see who gets it AND INSTALLS it first  :wave:

cadboy1

I have 2 corded Dremel tools and one cordless. I can have one in each hand and one on standby :A:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

dman

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
  • I love my rare beast!!

Excellent find duramaxHD :D I was hoping something like this fix would come along. I noticed a big difference between my 02' and my 03' in interior dust. I think I will definitely jump on this one.  :A:
Sold....2003, 2 wd, 2500, 8.1, 4:10's  YELLOW, Zaino,  20" MB Motoring v-drive rims, Hankook Ventus 295/45/20 tires, Edelbrock Ceramic headers, Orange TPMS, 2" rear wheel spacers, Xtreme floor mats, Volant, Predator, AV bug guard, On-star, XM, Homemade bedslide, Sportwing spoiler, Hood scoops,  Bose RSE,DVD. Full power, heated butt warmers, under rear seat sub with 2 Audiobahn 10" woofers, Magnaflow S.S. catback exhaust, Viper 2-way remote start alarm. Train horns, Riverboat whistle.Dual batteries.

TNAV

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • How About those RED SOX!

WOW
I just sent Tom an email to check out the instructions, after reviewing if it looks like I can pull it off I'm in for the $40.00  :B:

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

OK, just checked and my 04 Z71 WBH looks just like the first pic on the link...i will post my pic in a minute...

here it is (slightly different angle than in the link but same set-up)

I'm ordering the charcoal filter....
« Last Edit: 01/02/06 05:43 PM by mikenmo23 »

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
  • BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!

just sent my order in...I'm gonna beat both you!
'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

just sent my order in...I'm gonna beat both you!

we'll see....we'll see....remember, i am HOME all day to get it from the mailbox and install it :P plus I am closer to him...you're at least 3 hours further away by mail truck  :P

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

I have heard you can make it in 1 hr and 30 min.....besides...arn't you supposed to be watching 7th heaven or something like that (kids) :P

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

uh, no it's actually "surface" and its on commercial  :P

moosc

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

Dang u all could do this now just cut a hole slip in the filters yes 2 of them then cover your new hole with a plate and a seal ha ha :beating:

Have you heard???  The 2017 National is coming to STI..!!!!!!!!
Click Banner Above for More Info

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

oh no...say it isn't so!

PUNISHER

interesting.
AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC

SpottyJ

• CAFCNA Global Moderator
  • This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

I have not seen the install instructions yet, so here is an uninformed question -  Any idea how much air flow is restricted/reduced by the introduction of these filters?

I assume the filters runs across the air flow?

On my wife's Maxima, I have ran without the filter and the air moved much more powerfully out the vents with the filter out.  The Nissan was designed for the filter.  Wonder what will happen to the Avalanche air flow with filter installed. 

Any back pressure issues to be concerned with? 

03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

That's a good question, Spotty...I will let you know as I just paypal'd the guy. I figure a good set of instructions and not having to go to the auto parts store and find the parts myself is worth the $$...we'll see about the pressure.

:B: monique

GPM1972

Folks,

I've got a 2002 Z-71 with CAF.  It's the first and only vehicle I've owned with this feature. It's this only vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't generate a ton of dust on the interior parts.  (as long as I keep the filters changed).  Not unusual to find all kinds of in the filter chamber--leaves, pollen, etc

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

GPM, how often are you changing the filters? Thanks for your input...

Waz

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Some times you just have to grin and bear it.

I have not seen the install instructions yet, so here is an uninformed question -  Any idea how much air flow is restricted/reduced by the introduction of these filters?

On my wife's Maxima, I have ran without the filter and the air moved much more powerfully out the vents with the filter out.  The Nissan was designed for the filter.  Wonder what will happen to the Avalanche air flow with filter installed. 

I read thru most of their thread about the development of this mod and the question about air restriction did come up over there. One of the guys said their AC seemed cooler with the filters in. They seemed to believe that the AC system was originally designed to have the filters there and the General deleted them to save money without any redesign to allow for greater airflow. Something like more hot air in faster makes it harder to cool or less time for it to cool going thru the system.

I don't know but, if you don't like it you can still remove the filters and the plate will still seal the hole.
'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

I dont think it restricts airflow any...otherwise 2002 guys would be complaining of low air flow...I dont know, but I dont think ive heard of any of those problems..

2002 Avy guys...is your airflow OK?

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW
    • [img]http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48623.0;id=35879[/img]

Great find.  I'm gonna see what mine looks like tomorrow.

Josh
P1SC, 3 core intercooler, 60# injectors, Alkycontrol meth kit, Dynatech Long tubes, Borla Catback, Victor Jr. intake manifold, Dr.X harness, Intake elbow, ported 90mm TB, Slowhawk 224/228 cam , Patriot Xtreme springs, Innovators West balancer, Slowhawk 2bar SD tune, dynojet wideband, Trannyman built tranny, 4:10 gears, Yukon duragrip, Yank PT 3200, 05 Efans, nelson harness.  26" drag radials.  525rwhp 475tq

TheBac

• I have a Dmax, but I can respect the Av!

Hello,  Av Fan Club!     TheBac here!    :wave:

A little bio:  I'm a UPS guy in Lansing, MI, and I love to tinker with things on the side.  I've been with the DieselPlace since just after it came into being in 2003.  I had an 02 DMax with cabin filters, and when I changed them out,  I was amazed at how much these things cleaned the incoming air.  I sold that truck, and bought an 03, not thinking about the lack of filters.  I found out the 03 doesn't have them, and since  my son has allergies to dust and mold, so I knew I had to do something.

At about the same time, another member posted about installing Cabin Filters, and my friend Jeff (CrazyDaze on the Place) and I got  rather heavily involved in that thread.  In the end, Jeff and I did not like the idea of using tape to seal the hole...hence the idea for a cover. He and I had completely differnet HVAC units, which was odd.  So, we came up with the covers for our trucks.   As I state in the Vendor thread at the Place, after I posted our findings and our solutions, I had people asking me to make up a kit...so I did.     :0:

My fellow Dmax'er, Ben (DURAtotheMAX at the Place),  posted the link to my filter thread. Thank you very, very much Ben.    As a side note,  I'll tell you what people....Ben is one smart guy.  He brought the NAV install over to us Dmaxer's, and there are a lot of us that say "THANK YOU" to you guys for coming up with it.

I'm just a regular guy that took an idea and ran with it.  I'm not a company, or afffiliated with any company.

If you have questions, fire off an email to me. Make sure you put "Filter Question" in the subject, otherwise my spam filter will not let it through. 

I'll try to address the concerns you've already brought up as best I can in this thread.

BTW, before I bought my Dmax, I was seriously considering an Avalanche WBH.  My kids call them "Fold-up Trucks".   

I hope this is ok with your administrators.  If its not, please let me know. 
« Last Edit: 01/10/06 10:26 PM by TheBac »
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD DMax/Allison  -- yeah, its not an Avalanche.  Think of me as your "black sheep" cousin who's not quite all there......

Cabin filter retrofit kit mod, Highbeam/fog light mod,  High idle upgrade,   265 LTX's.   Juice/Attitude/"mystery program" stack--453HP/876TQ on the dyno

Cabin Filter Kits now available

TheBac

This is what I posted at the Place:

I hope you understand when I say I won't send out the instructions with out a kit being bought. 

Anytime you install something in the flow path, whether its air or liquid, you'll get some restriction. Jeff and I did not notice any major impact on our systems. In fact, Jeff thought his A/C was COLDER with the filters installed. The filters install right in front of the evaporator.

You obviously cant forget to check your filters on a couple times a year schedule, and replace them every year. As the filters get filled with gunk, the airflow will decrease. We figure that may be one of the reasons GM discontinued them...because people didn't check them, they complained about reduced A/C performance, and GM had to do warranty repairs for a serviceable item.

Hope that answers your questions....
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD DMax/Allison  -- yeah, its not an Avalanche.  Think of me as your "black sheep" cousin who's not quite all there......

Cabin filter retrofit kit mod, Highbeam/fog light mod,  High idle upgrade,   265 LTX's.   Juice/Attitude/"mystery program" stack--453HP/876TQ on the dyno

TNAV

Thanks Tom and welcome to CAFCNA  :wave:
You will need to check with one of these guys: DougD/YGMN/SteelheadChaser on becoming a site sponsor to sell the kits here.

TIA
Bob

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW
    • [img]http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48623.0;id=35879[/img]

is it necessary for him to sell here?  There is a link posted to a site where you can purchase them.

Josh
P1SC, 3 core intercooler, 60# injectors, Alkycontrol meth kit, Dynatech Long tubes, Borla Catback, Victor Jr. intake manifold, Dr.X harness, Intake elbow, ported 90mm TB, Slowhawk 224/228 cam , Patriot Xtreme springs, Innovators West balancer, Slowhawk 2bar SD tune, dynojet wideband, Trannyman built tranny, 4:10 gears, Yukon duragrip, Yank PT 3200, 05 Efans, nelson harness.  26" drag radials.  525rwhp 475tq

moosc

my 2006 freightliner columbia has a cab filter i love it stick a drier sheet on it my truck smells fresh ha ha but true ill be doing this mod when the weather gets better.... :B:

TNAV

is it necessary for him to sell here?  There is a link posted to a site where you can purchase them.

Josh
Playing it safe as I've seen posts like this get removed before and where TheBac is not a site sponsor I wasn't sure. Figured better safe than sorry, but hey I could be wrong  :beating:

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW

understood

TheBac

I read thru most of their thread about the development of this mod and the question about air restriction did come up over there. One of the guys said their AC seemed cooler with the filters in. They seemed to believe that the AC system was originally designed to have the filters there and the General deleted them to save money without any redesign to allow for greater airflow. Something like more hot air in faster makes it harder to cool or less time for it to cool going thru the system.

I don't know but, if you don't like it you can still remove the filters and the plate will still seal the hole.

Yes, thats a long thread....I can get long-winded somtimes.  Sorry about that.

Jeff and I surmised that GM was PLANNING on installing the filters in the 2003-up trucks.  They went so far as to mold the bosses and the attaching points into the HVAC units.  BUT, they were having trouble with customers filing warranty claims, complaining about 01-02 models having reduced A/C performance.  GM went overboard trying to find a fix (a lot of TSBs on this problem), and we surmise that in the end, GM found that a reason was because the filters were clogging up.  So, to save money, they just had the HVAC mfg fill the mold points and "delete" the filters.

We figure that adding the filters just brings the airflow to the point where GM originally wanted it.  Jeff noted that his A/C was colder (granted, we didn't go so far as doing a flow or temp test, just the sit-in-the-vehicle-on-a-hot-day test) after the install.  He and I think that because the filters restrict flow slightly, they actually HELP the evaporator handle the incoming airflow.  

You just have to check your cabin filters, same as fuel/oil/air.   But since YOU are installing them, instead of it being a "forgotten" option...chances are you will not have any problems.

Hope that helps.....

TheBac

Thanks Tom and welcome to CAFCNA  :wave:
You will need to check with one of these guys: DougD/YGMN/SteelheadChaser on becoming a site sponsor to sell the kits here.

TIA
Bob

I will ask them.  Thank you.

I'm on the DP almost every day, I'll check in here to answer questions too.
« Last Edit: 01/02/06 08:56 PM by TheBac »

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

I just sent my paypal too...how I wonder how long it will take to get it?

TheBac

This is the prototype that currently resides in my truck.  The regular covers are black powdercoated steel. 

I ship them Priority Mail (yeah...UPS is too expensive in this case)...I think thats normally 3 days.
« Last Edit: 01/02/06 09:14 PM by TheBac »

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

Hey Tom!! I think I know you from somewhere... :wave:

Glad you got everything all set up...I know lots of people will be happy to breathe fresh air again!

for the nav install we all should thank CAFCNA member "Sperry". He is the real genius here and paved the way before I even know what a "TNR" or "lux amp" was. He is an incredibly smart guy and deserves full credit, which is why I mentioned him in my long nav install article over at the Place. His INR/Lux amp was up and running wayyy back in January of 2004 I beleive! :o (wow it seems so long ago!)

--Ben

TheBac

Hi Ben!   :wave:    Thank you!   

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Hi again Tom,
Glad you made it over here  :welcome: just remember that Monique's filter goes in the mail before Damon's  :4:
Thanks again for answering all the questions!
Monique

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW

whether is kinda nasty out.  I'll check mine when the snow stops.

Josh

BUDDY23

This looks like a GREAT mod.

Excellent post and  :welcome: Tom.

I want to know how this works out before I order mine.  I still have to check my Av...when it stops raining.  :beating:

TheBac

Hi again Tom,
Glad you made it over here :welcome: just remember that Monique's filter goes in the mail before Damon's :4:
Thanks again for answering all the questions!
Monique

Both went out today.....you two just slay me.  You guys are just as nutz about your trucks as we are about our Dmax's.

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Both went out today.....you two just slay me.  You guys are just as nutz about your trucks as we are about our Dmax's.

Thanks Tom...and dont you worry...I'm gonna get mine installed first. I'll let ya know the second its here and in.  :wave:
~monique

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

Thats right Tom, Mo is gonna be the 1st after me...I will post how it goes as soon as I get it in...and Mo, feel free to call for how to install (i'll have 1 under my belt by then). :P

Seriously though...we should have a/c filter install GTG....whatch think?

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Thats right Tom, Mo is gonna be the 1st after me...I will post how it goes as soon as I get it in...and Mo, feel free to call for how to install (i'll have 1 under my belt by then). :P

Seriously though...we should have a/c filter install GTG....whatch think?

I think an A/C filter install GTG sounds great. I'll let ya help me install mine FIRST...then we can do yours   :P

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

but mine will already be in...that's not a problem, is it

:P

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

see, if your not gonna play fair....then i'm not gonna play at all....you gotta bring the filter with you  :P UNINSTALLED.

DougD

• So, didja?

but mine will already be in...that's not a problem, is it

I'm beginning to think Damon sent extra cash for overnight delivery or something :)
2003 Victory Red WBH Z66.  Suburban moldings.  Color-matched handles.  K&N FIPK-II.  Dynomax Cat-Back.  DVD/TV & Vizualogics.  Ambers.  Silverstars Hi, Lo & Fog.  Police Pursuit wipers.  Dually rear clearance light (still in the box).

rxzruby

• Naked, it's funner that way!
    • here is the website title

yes i want a filter!!!
WHAT: 2004 WBH Z66 Summit White Nation #67 :B:
MODDS: McGaughys 2"/3" Drop, 20" BOSS 301 w/ 285/50/20, MagLight & White Fire Extinguisher MODD, Red Sail Panel LED Lights, Billet Grill, White Bowtie, Chrome Exterior Door Handles, Painted Calipers.....
FUTURE MODDS: Subwoofer, Escalade Platinum Cluster, Chrome Interior Door Handles...
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=91

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

I'm beginning to think Damon sent extra cash for overnight delivery or something :)

funny...you know, Doug, I bet he had it FedEx'd to the office...sneaky, that one....

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

fedexed to my office...i'm not even sure if fedex knows where my office is :P

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

Tom NEVER FedEx's ANYTHING!!! :o

TheBac

UPS for heavy stuff.  US Mail for light.   

I swear this is better than any diesel goof off..... :laugh:

I hope the kit will be up to your expectations.....

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

hahahaha...here it is a little after 12:00 and i got my filter stuff...thanks for the FedEx!

How 'bout you Mo .... Got Filter?

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

:yakmar: but..sadly....no. the mail has not come yet  :needhug:

Mudcon

• Chevy Avalanche Rocks!!!
    • Mudcon.com

yall are crazy :beating: :laugh:
04 Avalanche Z71(SilverBirtchMetallic)
To many mods- Listed on my Avalanche Site Below

05 Kawi Brute Force 750 ATV

Mudcon.com

My Avalanche Website

moosc

hahahaha...here it is a little after 12:00 and i got my filter stuff...thanks for the FedEx!

How 'bout you Mo .... Got Filter?
5 days yet no update on the cabin filter ???

TheBac

I have heard from Damon.  He finished up his install. 

sperry

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
  • I'll be right down...

Hmmmm, will there be an electrostatic version someday?

I can imagine the popping and snapping would be a bit disturbing though.. :P

My HVAC is starting to get the musty odor syndrome. A really neat idea, and thanks for bringing that over dHD!
03  Z71 3:73 LPM Cladded. Fact. Roof Rack, TowPk, XM, Gen 6.2 OnStar, leather & heated/mem. Delphi OEM (UM8 INR Nav System W/Bose Luxury audio). BkUp Cam & entertainment on Nav . DIC, DIOd Esc. Platinum cluster, Console DVD W/3 Vizlogic 7 16:9 (two in articultng. '02 HR's & one in pass. visor), 3  A/V inputs/FM headph's. SS893 Fogs, Amber DRL's, All4onHi, All4OnBrake.

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

yep, i got mine installed on Saturday (before Mo too)...Sorry, it has taken me so long to post about it, but I needed to talk to Tom about his product and what to post about.  He has some great information in his instructions and they represent most of his time and effort. 

IMO the kit is a necessity, when I cut out my duct, I got about 2 handfulls of dirt and leaves out of it, and I could see how dirty my coil was.  I also used (and suggest to anyone else who does it) a can of comressed air (or an air compressor, and yes, i have an air compressor, but, remember I can't do my mods at home :P). And also run the blower for a few minutes w/ the cut out to remove any debris.
I do barely notice the air moving slower (it may be more noticable in the summer) but i'm convinced that coil and fan are the same as an '02 that was designed for a filter.

The install was a snap w/ the instructions provided and it is nice to not have to collect all the parts.  Part of my problem w/ posting about this is was that i thought that this would be cheaper to duplicate as a DIY project, i was wrong.  Also, in my install, I used a razor knife w/ a new blade in it.  And it worked great.  I got pics of my install and will post when I can.

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Yep, I too got mine installed on Saturday (just an hour or so shy of Damon  :P ) but I did call him for reassurance before I began. I'll admit I was a little nervous and I was going to go the dremel route when Damon told me he used a razor knife....well of course i couldn't find any new blades in the garage for the razor knife so I just used my folding knife (a Kershaw) and it cut through the plastic like butter. Very easy to do...filters went in pretty easy...I didn't get all the crap out like Damon did...just one tiny oak leaf...coil still looked clean and shiney....but I did put the vacuum to it just in case....and ran the blower like he said to.
It's certainly a must-have mod simply for the fact that my truck, now almost a week later doesn't have any dust in it...that, in itself is great...
Can someone do this themselves without buying the kit? Yep. sure can. But was it easy for me to buy the kit and not to have to fab a piece of metal, run to the auto parts store and find a filter...yada yada yada. Yep, it was.
So while I can fully recommend the kit and the ease of having all the instructions,parts,pictures etc. if someone were to come to me at a GTG and ask for help I'd gladly cut into their truck for them and help them attain this mod without the kit. All you'd need would be the cover plate and screw and two filters. If someone is handy enough to make that then you would not need the kit.
I don't want to step on any toes because it is a great mod and I think everyone should do it. Our trucks were made to have this filter and to me the air coming out of the vents smells a lot cleaner. It may run a tad slower but I dont think that it is or will be an issue...
 :B: monique  :B:

BUDDY23

Sounds great.  I can't wait to see the pics.  I may have to do this mod to my Av.   :B:

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

some pics

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

more

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Nice pics, D! I got all excited to get it done and didnt even take any....sorry guys.

TheBac

Nice job, Damon.  I'm  glad you were able to cut that with a knife, although I was not brave enough to do that.

« Last Edit: 01/12/06 01:40 PM by TheBac »

BUDDY23

Pics look sweet.  I think I may have to order one.  No more dust in the Av is a good enough reason for me.   :A:

RENORCR

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • (aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

Hmm, seems like most people HVAC are the Kit 1/1A versions.
What's the status on the Kit 2? Since mine is identical to that one.
2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: HellWig 7701/7702, FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery

TheBac

Hmm, seems like most people HVAC are the Kit 1/1A versions.
What's the status on the Kit 2? Since mine is identical to that one.

I am working on Kit#2.   I bought a metal brake to help make the bends, but I'm still having trouble duplicating all the bends needed.  I also have to do fit and finish on them, and since they are in 2 planes instead of one, I have to be spot-on.  I love R&D.   :E:

Trust me, this one is a royal PITA to make.  I hope to have something concrete in the next couple weeks.  I've got 3 people over at the Place asking about them, too.   

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

FYI....

We are working with TheBac to become a site partner...
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

TheBac

FYI....

We are working with TheBac to become a site partner...

Thank you much for helping me.  I guess we'll see what we'll see...

Now, does that mean this thread is going to die since you posted in it?    :4:

ygmn

• Administrator

Now, does that mean this thread is going to die since you posted in it?    :4:

Yup!
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

Don't worry Tom, you still have a chance...just start talking about home improvement :P

TheBac

Don't worry Tom, you still have a chance...just start talking about home improvement :P

Oh God....no!  Not home improvement!  Anything but that!   :laugh:

RENORCR

I am working on Kit#2.   I bought a metal brake to help make the bends, but I'm still having trouble duplicating all the bends needed.  I also have to do fit and finish on them, and since they are in 2 planes instead of one, I have to be spot-on.  I love R&D.   :E:

Trust me, this one is a royal PITA to make.  I hope to have something concrete in the next couple weeks.  I've got 3 people over at the Place asking about them, too.   

I figure it was a PITA to make. Especially after I took a look myself.

Anyway, Thanks!  :A:
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: HellWig 7701/7702, FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery

TNAV

TheBac

Steelheadchaser replied to me, but I'm still trying to figure out where to send my money and what exactly I'm supposed to do....

Sorry kids, I'm new to all this.....

You're gonna laugh, but I do want a little "SP" bowtie....

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

I've been watching the topic over on TDP since the beginning.  I could have had this installed months ago and beat all of you guys N gals!   :B:

Now that the R&D has progress a bit further I am going to order a kit for my AV.

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------
Black '05 2500 Avalanche LT 4x4 ● 496 ● 3.73:1 G80
TNR ● Sunroof ● Rear seat DVD

Phoenix

• I love to hunt, fish and drive my Avalanche!

ok sounds like a great mod my wife has alergys problems and this would be great...Who sells them  and how much...or can some one tell me the napa part number and where to cut or a pic I am pretty handy about making things so any help may get me there..thanks
04 victory red z71 Loaded baby, tint all the way around, Amber DRLs, sail panel lights, maglight mod, ice chest lights, hard wired radar detector, 06 z71 emblems, flowmaster 2 into 1, K&N air filter, custom cluster, red leds in a/c vents and overhead. and rear console..

18ft 03 Bass Tracker / 90hp 4 stroke.
26ft 93 Four Winns Eliminator 460 King Cobra.

1999 SS camaro loaded Automatic ( wifes car, I hardly get to drive it! Only when something is wrong with it! , programed to run. stock pushin 350 hors

TheBac

I've been watching the topic over on TDP since the beginning.  I could have had this installed months ago and beat all of you guys N gals!   :B:

Now that the R&D has progress a bit further I am going to order a kit for my AV.

Are you a member over there?  If so, who?

ygmn

• Administrator

Steelheadchaser replied to me, but I'm still trying to figure out where to send my money and what exactly I'm supposed to do....

Sorry kids, I'm new to all this.....

You're gonna laugh, but I do want a little "SP" bowtie....

You can use PAYPAL or mail to SHC...  He will hook you up....as he is treasurer....
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

moosc

my question is why did gm go with 2 filters instead of one seems like better air flow if you had a single filter :E:

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

my question is why did gm go with 2 filters instead of one seems like better air flow if you had a single filter :E:

the filters sit side by side...not on top of each other...so they are not impeding any airflow any more than one would.  :1:

TheBac

Because there is NO way you're going to get a big filter up into the HVAC with the angle of the floor right there.   You'd mutilate a big filter in a second.
« Last Edit: 01/17/06 07:35 PM by TheBac »

TheBac

You can use PAYPAL or mail to SHC...  He will hook you up....as he is treasurer....

Thanks ygmn.  I'm just waiting on his call now so I can get the details from him.  Hopefully in the next couple days this'll get done.

Also, I've bent up a few B-covers, and I've got to get over to my friend's house to test-fit them.  If all goes well, they'll be going to the powder-coater next week.
« Last Edit: 01/18/06 04:38 AM by TheBac »

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

Are you a member over there? If so, who?

Chris N5CWM.  I have the same avatar over there that I do here.  Suprised you didn't notice!  :) 

I received the filter kit a few days ago and finally got around to installing it.  Believe it or not, cutting the  slot for the filters was the easy part.  What kicked my behind was the second filter.  I knew it was a tight fit, but there was NO way the second filter was going in without getting all crunched up and deforming.  The NAPA box had two nice filters with foam around the outer edges for improved sealing but that foam was NOT on the filters that I changed out in my previously owned 2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500.  I changed the cabin filters in it once and they were pretty much the same, sans the foam sealing strip around the perimeter.  It took me about 30 minutes to cut the slot with my Dremel and a sharp box cutter to clean up the edges.  I figured I was as good as done when  the first filter popped right in and I slid it forward to make way for the 2nd filter. When I tried to push it up in there,  the sides would rub and the whole filter would distort.  It was NOT going to go.  First I tried peeling off the foam from one side, but it wasn't enough.  I ended up peeling the foam from both sides of both filters, and it was still a tight fit!  There is a slight deformation in each filter. The pleats are somewhat crunched due to the tight fit.  Having removed the rectangular doohickey (a thermal monitoring device I suppose) enabled me to view up into the HVAC unit with a flashlight, clearly able to see the filters being mangled.  Well they're in now, but I'd say about 90% effective due to some slight gaps around the sides and bottom from being deformed due to a tight fit.
I am certain that the filters I installed in my 2001 did not have the foam seal glued to the outer edges like these did.  I am going to shop around the local auto parts stores and see what they have and if the dimensions are similar.
I did manage to take a few photos but they are still on my digital camera. I'll post the URL link to them when I get them on my server.
Overall, Kudos to TheBAC for such a well put together kit!  The metal strip and it's seal are well made.  The instructions are excellent, and the owner's manual page insert and small decal for the glovebox are cool ideas. 

When I had the box opened up I looked into the area near the blower, and there is a fine layer of dust already starting to build inside the HVAC unit.  These filters will cut down on that stuff nicely over time.  My AV only has 7,800 miles on it and none of it is on dirt roads.

Now to get those pics up for viewing. 

:B:

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

Here is a pic of the In Cabin Filter from the 2002 Chevy Avalanche Repair Manual.  Although the picture of the housing looks like the style that will fit the future release of "Kit#2", not Kit#1. 

Because there is NO way you're going to get a big filter up into the HVAC with the angle of the floor right there.   You'd mutilate a big filter in a second.

This filter appears to be one piece.  How many piece filters do the 2002 owners have?
03' Z-71:  Drk Grn Met: Drv Conv Pckg, XM, OnStar, Sunroof, 10-way Heat Lthr Seats, Bose, Assist Steps, GND Effects Pckg, Roof Rack, Trlr Pckg, MODS: Maglite, Hardwire RADAR, Wheel Well Plug, WeatherTech Bug Shield, Bowtie by "Carriles", Silverstars-Fog/DRL/Signals, Rod Mod Remote Tailgate Lock, Zaino, HIDs in Lows.

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

there are 2...that filter in the illustration goes up and then slides forward enough to clear a 2nd filter to just insert up...and mine fit snug (w/ the foam in place)...I love it!

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

BTW... I also suggest taking out the floor mat to get enough room to get the filter in...seems odd, i know, but it helped me.
Good luck,
Damon

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

Here are the >pics I took during the modification< and installation.

« Last Edit: 01/26/06 07:33 AM by AViator »
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

Here are the >pics I took during the modification< and installation.

Thanks for the pics :A:

In your pic here, it looks like the filter is bent/squished and has a gap.  What are your thoughts as you have seen this in person?  Were you able to get them to lay flatter?
« Last Edit: 01/26/06 07:44 AM by SpottyJ »

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

I was able to get the filters to seal better with a long screwdriver, using it to push and prod the filters into place. That picture was taken before I closed up the system.  I intentionally took that pic to show that even if the filters appear to be installed correctly, you should remove the two screws holding the airflow/temp sensor and take a peek with a flashlight.

The dimensions where the filters slide into place may have been changed since I had my 2001 Yukon XL.  Filters popped in with no effort at all on that one.  The addition of the sealing foam around the filters is a nice touch but it makes installing the second filter impossible without distorting either one of them.
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

I intentionally took that pic to show that even if the filters appear to be installed correctly, you should remove the two screws holding the airflow/temp sensor and take a peek with a flashlight.

Thanks, I wondered how there could be such a hole  :E:

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

2 things you might check...

1. is take the filter s out and look in the slot...and in that front corner, I had a collection of trash sitting in there.
2. is it looks like the rear most side of the cut could be cut back another 1/8th of inch to give more filter access.

Good luck.

Phoenix

• I love to hunt, fish and drive my Avalanche!

yep looks like a good mod..I will be doing this soon..
04 victory red z71 Loaded baby, tint all the way around, Amber DRLs, sail panel lights, maglight mod, ice chest lights, hard wired radar detector, 06 z71 emblems, flowmaster 2 into 1, K&N air filter, custom cluster, red leds in a/c vents and overhead. and rear console..

18ft 03 Bass Tracker / 90hp 4 stroke.
26ft 93 Four Winns Eliminator 460 King Cobra.

1999 SS camaro loaded Automatic ( wifes car, I hardly get to drive it! Only when something is wrong with it! , programed to run. stock pushin 350 hors

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
Re: Do you want a cabin air filter in your 2003 and up Avy!?!
« Reply #100 on: 01/27/06 06:53 PM »

There is no debris in the system that would prevent the filters from fitting correctly.  I looked with a mechanics mirror on a swivel thinking the same thing.
The slot is not the problem.  I may have actually cut it an inch longer than necessary.  First filter pops right in and pushes all the way towards the firewall with one finger.  2nd filter rubs on 1st filter, which causes one or both to deform while I try to push the 2nd one up into position. 

I bought a BOSCH brand pair of filters, part number P3730 at Auto Zone today. These look exactly like the ones that were in my 2001 Yukon XL.  The NAPA filters that came in my kit from TheBac have extra foam around the edges of the entire filter.  I am hesitant to remove the NAPA filters that I have in there now because I'm afraid the 2nd filter will give me fits again trying to reinstall it.  I don't want to trash them just yet.  After trying to install them the other day for 2 hours the filters got deformed in various ways which weakened them, making it that much more difficult to get them to fit right.

Tom "TheBac", did you guys notice different styles of filters from different manufacturers while engineering this mod?  I'm curious if the dimensions vary between brands and styles.
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
« Reply #101 on: 01/27/06 07:05 PM »

Here is a pic of the BOSCH filters.  I'd love to pull out the NAPA filters and take a side-by-side comparison pic and measure each brand, but I'm worried that I'd never get the NAPA filters back in again.

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

TheBac

« Reply #102 on: 01/27/06 07:20 PM »

There is no debris in the system that would prevent the filters from fitting correctly.  I looked with a mechanics mirror on a swivel thinking the same thing.
The slot is not the problem.  I may have actually cut it an inch longer than necessary.  First filter pops right in and pushes all the way towards the firewall with one finger.  2nd filter rubs on 1st filter, which causes one or both to deform while I try to push the 2nd one up into position. 

I bought a BOSCH brand pair of filters, part number P3730 at Auto Zone today. These look exactly like the ones that were in my 2001 Yukon XL.  The NAPA filters that came in my kit from TheBac have extra foam around the edges of the entire filter.  I am hesitant to remove the NAPA filters that I have in there now because I'm afraid the 2nd filter will give me fits again trying to reinstall it.  I don't want to trash them just yet.  After trying to install them the other day for 2 hours the filters got deformed in various ways which weakened them, making it that much more difficult to get them to fit right.

Tom "TheBac", did you guys notice different styles of filters from different manufacturers while engineering this mod?  I'm curious if the dimensions vary between brands and styles.

I looked at Bosch and Purolator and came away unimpressed.  I felt the NAPAs, with the full-edge seal, were a better filter.  I also felt that the smooth seal would help the filters slide past one another better than ones with a foam-type side seal.

The filters are a VERY tight fit.   I wrote in the instructs that that was a possibility, and if the second filter starts to drag on the first, to hold the corner of the first one while you pushed the second up in.  Yes, its not easy, but it CAN be done.   My second filter has a slight bow in it too.  Not a whole lot can be done about it, since we're working with a finite area.

One thing you COULD try that I didn't  is to use a 1" wide piece of thin cardboard between the filters as you slide that second one up in.  When you get the second filter seated, just  pull the cardboard out.

Oh, and as for the "B" covers...have you ever heard of the phrase "Measure twice, cut once"?   Well, I screwed up the last ones by bending them too big.  Cripes....there's 6 pieces of steel wasted.
« Last Edit: 01/27/06 07:26 PM by TheBac »

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
« Reply #103 on: 01/27/06 07:53 PM »

When I was installing the 2nd filter, I tried using the plastic piece that remained of the cutout I made.  I smoothed the edges so the filters wouldn't snag on it.  This worked to decrease friction but the filters, side-by-side, installed are causing one or both to distort, even when they're inserted all the way into the slot.  I agree that the NAPA filter is a high quality unit!  They make a nice filter.  Now I wish that I'd taken digital pictures of the HVAC unit in my 2001 Yukon XL when I changed the filters on it.  I can't remember what the cover looked like..version A or B.

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

TheBac

« Reply #104 on: 01/28/06 08:04 AM »

When I was installing the 2nd filter, I tried using the plastic piece that remained of the cutout I made.  I smoothed the edges so the filters wouldn't snag on it.  This worked to decrease friction but the filters, side-by-side, installed are causing one or both to distort, even when they're inserted all the way into the slot.  I agree that the NAPA filter is a high quality unit!  They make a nice filter.  Now I wish that I'd taken digital pictures of the HVAC unit in my 2001 Yukon XL when I changed the filters on it.  I can't remember what the cover looked like..version A or B.

It didn't look like either one.  The cover on an 02 is an "L" shape, with the retaining bolt in the back.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: 01/31/06 06:21 AM »

It is official..... We may be slow...but we are thorough....hehehe

I give you our newest CAFCNA Site Partner.....

TheBac

Selling the kit to make this mod possible....

Welcome and thanks TheBac
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

cadboy1

« Reply #106 on: 01/31/06 06:44 AM »

Here is a pic of the BOSCH filters.  I'd love to pull out the NAPA filters and take a side-by-side comparison pic and measure each brand, but I'm worried that I'd never get the NAPA filters back in again.

Bosch also makes a C3970 that includes charcoal for odor control :A: But they are almost twice as much money :(
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
« Reply #107 on: 01/31/06 06:48 AM »

TheBac

NICE!...congratulations...I know from experience this is a great option....hurry up and get yours!

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule
« Reply #108 on: 01/31/06 09:56 AM »

TheBac

way to go Tom!!! I know ill be doing this mod as soon as I get a spare moment...

--ben

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?
« Reply #109 on: 01/31/06 02:13 PM »

TheBac

Congrats, Tom !

TheBac

« Reply #110 on: 01/31/06 04:30 PM »

Thanks you guys!  I guess I now have to fill out a thread in the For Sale area....when I get the extra time.

Right now I have to get back to figuring out those "B" covers!  Right now the kits only cover about 75% of the trucks out there....got to get it to 100% before spring.

TheBac

« Reply #111 on: 02/12/06 01:47 PM »

Ok,  I got the new site partner thread up and running.  Thank you Eric.

You can find it here:  http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=59279.new#new

As for the "B" covers....I hope to have them ready by Spring.

TheBac

« Reply #112 on: 04/08/06 02:13 PM »

As for the "B" covers....I hope to have them ready by Spring.

Update:  The "B" covers proved too much for me to duplicate. So I will not offer them for sale.  You all have my apologies.

Thank you.

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
« Reply #113 on: 04/10/06 09:27 AM »

I hate it for the owners of affected trucks.  I'm lucky that mine is the common/easy one to make.

Thanks for your overall efforts!! :notworthy:
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album
« Reply #114 on: 08/22/06 06:18 PM »

Installed my kit today.  I took my time as I was hesitant about the "cut".  I ended up using a very sharp utility blade and it worked great, no mess, straight.  The instructions till you to mark a rectangle on the HVAC filter boss using a scribe, etc.  I found that using the right size piece of masking tape made for an easy and very square template for cutting.  And the white tape against the black plastic made for good contrast when cutting.

Now that I have done the mod, I think it is very easy.  Prior to, and during, I spent a lot of time unnecessarily worrying about the difficulty of the cut.

Thanks.

CoveredAV

« Reply #115 on: 09/02/06 03:34 PM »

Hi everybody ...  :wave:

I read this entire thread, and I've also read the other thread on this site that linked to this thread, and I've looked at all of Aviator's pictures.  Still, true to form as a newbie, I've  managed to come up with a few dumb questions:

1.  I read someone say in the other thread that Tom wasn't selling these kits anymore?  Is this true or false?

2.  If false, are there 2 styles of kits available?

3.  If two, how do I know which kit I'll need for an '05 2500?

Thanks!

2005 2500 fully covered AV, with a few unique GM modifications.

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
« Reply #116 on: 09/02/06 04:12 PM »

You'll need kit 1A, which is what I put in my 2005 2500 Avy.  Send The BAC a PM message asking if he has any left.  The 2B kit is the one that was difficult to fabricate, so they decided not to produce it.

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

moosc

« Reply #117 on: 01/08/07 08:08 PM »

bump just ordered my kit cant wait till i get home thanks

KzooZ66

• Wear your body hardware!
« Reply #118 on: 01/26/07 11:00 PM »

You will notice a difference in all of the manufacturers filters.  You may even notice a difference in the AC Delco filters depending on when you buy them.  As far as sealing goes for these parts, if the filter leaks slightly nothing is damaged.  This is why you do not see the same sealing designs as air intake filters. 

I am currently using the carbon filters in my 02 and have not had a problem with AC or heat.  The biggest concern is whether your windshield stays defrosted.  It is uncomfortable to wait for the AC but it is dangerous to have a frosted windshield!  I have found a fair amount of dirt and debris in mine.  It is probably about time I change mine again!

What kind of life does anyone see out of their filters?
2002 Z66 - Bought November 2001; Amber DRL's; SilverStar Ultras; Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas; NGK Iridium IX; Trick Closing Tailgate

moosc

« Reply #119 on: 01/27/07 09:24 PM »

i got my kit last week so yes hes still selling them

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
« Reply #120 on: 02/28/07 12:29 AM »

Beautiful weather here in Texas today so I decided to change my cabin filters.  They really work well, catching all sorts of stuff.  It's been a little over a year since I did this mod and installed the filters.
Here's a pic of the junk trapped between the pleats of one filter (which has been 'squished' so the pleats spread out to show the dirt).  Most of the pleats had this much dirt between them.
Both filters also had dark areas of concentrated dust.  Over time, all of this debris would eventually lodge between the elements of the evaporator and heater cores without these filters.   I don't live on a dirt road, and I don't park my Avy under a tree.  It's normally parked in my garage and has about 22K miles on it right now.

I'm happy with this mod!

« Last Edit: 02/28/07 12:31 AM by AViator »
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?
« Reply #121 on: 02/28/07 06:53 AM »

great update and a good reminder to change mine out too. I think it's been about a year...maybe a little more.. and i know its been about 20K miles. I'll be stopping by the auto parts store today to get some filters. Thanks for the reminder :1:

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
« Reply #122 on: 02/28/07 08:17 AM »

don't forget to get the carbon filter version...what was that part number?

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?
« Reply #123 on: 02/28/07 08:28 AM »

AC Delco CF104  (and btw i needed a flashlight to see that little sticker in my glovebox) :P

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
« Reply #124 on: 02/28/07 08:50 AM »

...btw i needed a flashlight to see that little sticker in my glovebox) :P
oh really....i have a light in mine .... (of course mine is on a lift 20 miles away, so, I can't check mine :P )

Dune

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
« Reply #125 on: 02/28/07 08:55 AM »

oh really....i have a light in mine .... (of course mine is on a lift 20 miles away, so, I can't check mine :P )

What's your truck in the shop for now?  :damon:
If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you.

WILDFIRE

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
  • I see...
« Reply #126 on: 03/01/07 12:46 AM »

Beautiful weather here in Texas today so I decided to change my cabin filters.  They really work well, catching all sorts of stuff.  It's been a little over a year since I did this mod and installed the filters.
Here's a pic of the junk trapped between the pleats of one filter (which has been 'squished' so the pleats spread out to show the dirt).  Most of the pleats had this much dirt between them.
Both filters also had dark areas of concentrated dust.  Over time, all of this debris would eventually lodge between the elements of the evaporator and heater cores without these filters.   I don't live on a dirt road, and I don't park my Avy under a tree.  It's normally parked in my garage and has about 22K miles on it right now.

I'm happy with this mod!

it's amazing how much stuff they catch
sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out

cb63sk

• I WAS HERE ------> . <-------
« Reply #127 on: 06/10/07 06:53 AM »

does this apply to the 04 av???? ??? ??? ??? ???
COWBOY WAS HERE!!!!

2006 HARLEY DAVIDSON Street Glide

cadboy1

« Reply #128 on: 06/10/07 10:49 AM »

does this apply to the 04 av???? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yes..Thats probably why the topic mentions 03 and up  :D
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?
« Reply #129 on: 06/10/07 11:50 AM »

I think he was asking if he HAS a cabin air filter... and no... the 2003 and newer models did not come with one... we added them. and, damn, I still need to go out and check mine... it's been well over a year now :P

cadboy1

« Reply #130 on: 06/10/07 11:58 AM »

I change mine every 6 months..Its amazing how much crap they catch. Imagine how much smaller particles they catch you cant see? I hate GM for making me have to add them myself..Bastards :D
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

EricB

• Baseball time!
« Reply #131 on: 06/10/07 02:31 PM »

Anybody know if they're still being made?

moosc

« Reply #132 on: 06/10/07 07:12 PM »

yep when you send the guy an email in the subject area mention cabin filter or he doesnt open it

cadboy1

« Reply #133 on: 06/11/07 02:51 PM »

I just broke out the dremel and cut the hole and left it connected at one end..once filters are in I just used duct tape to close the flap I made..Does not leak air at all and the plastic cover hides it anyway :A:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album
« Reply #134 on: 06/11/07 04:05 PM »

I just broke out the dremel and cut the hole and left it connected at one end..once filters are in I just used duct tape to close the flap I made..Does not leak air at all and the plastic cover hides it anyway :A:

That should work fine.  There is no rocket science here.  Good inexpensive/Idea.

k15goose

• LIKE A ROCK!
« Reply #135 on: 06/19/07 12:20 AM »

will this work on an 07?
08 GSM LT3 4WD 6.0L/4.10

IN- Aluminum Trim, V1 Hardwired, GM Rubber Floormats, Rear Headrest Mod, Maglite Mod
OUT- Simonized & Debadged, 20% Tinted Front Windows, Creatures Aero Pads, Valence gone, GSM Bowties, 6.0L Emblem, Trailer Plug Moved, ADRL's & All-On-High
PERF- K&N Tube, Amsoil Filter, custom tune, Transgo shift kit, Doug Thorley Headers/X-pipe/DMH cutouts/Magnaflow duals, cam & internals next...
SUSP- CST 4" Lift w/ ProJoints, Rancho Autoride Kit, Toyo M/T 33x12.5x18, Z71 wheels, Hotchkis

moosc

« Reply #136 on: 06/19/07 05:51 PM »

i thank I heard it would you just need to check the hvac box under dash passenger side and let us know :B:

Rocky07

• Best, Most AVersatile AVehicle on the Planet
« Reply #137 on: 08/09/07 01:06 PM »

I'm going out to the parking lot right now to check the HVAC box in my '07. . . . that is, after I dust it out since not having one.   (My '02 did have one and it was GREAT!!!!)

We need to teach the GM "bean counters" a lesson in cutting out cost.   I'm still pissed and no tinted visor in the '07 windshield (among other things).   Let's all go to our respective dealers (if yours is in warranty of course) and report the same issue.   We'll fill up the dealers warranty repair claims so full that they will back us up on such cost-cutting nonsense.   Believe me, my dealer is tired of hearing from me on the cost-cutting features of my '07 since my '02.   After that "warranty salvo dust" settles, maybe then will GM decide to ask before deleting.   This club has the power. . . let's exercise it.
'07 LTZ Avalanche-"Rocky II"
'02 Z71 Avalanche-"Rocky I"
'64 1/2 Mustang Rag-top
'66 Mustang Coupe
'68 Mustang Coupe (under restoration)
'80 John Deere 2040

funk_drum

• This space for rent.
« Reply #138 on: 10/29/08 11:56 AM »

So is this something you have to buy other than the filters?  Or can that opening be cut and filters stuffed in?
05 Z71, leather, power all, sunroof, DVD, NAV, XM, cladded, bermuda blue.  No highs or lows, must be Bose...I've got that too.
States visited- MI, IN, OH, KY, TN, AL, GA, IL, MO, KS, IA, NE, WY, UT, AZ, NV, ID, MT, CA, CO.

cadboy1

« Reply #139 on: 10/29/08 12:12 PM »

I cut 3 sides out. Peeled it back. Stuck in the filters. Duct tape the flap back. Replace trim panel to conceal duct tape  :D Works great, seals great  :A:
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

AViator

• More fun per gallon!
« Reply #140 on: 10/29/08 02:22 PM »

That reminds me..it's time to clean the cabin filters that I modded when I bought my Av.   :B:
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

funk_drum

• This space for rent.
« Reply #141 on: 10/29/08 02:55 PM »

From what I can tell, Napa has the most recommended filters?
05 Z71, leather, power all, sunroof, DVD, NAV, XM, cladded, bermuda blue.  No highs or lows, must be Bose...I've got that too.
States visited- MI, IN, OH, KY, TN, AL, GA, IL, MO, KS, IA, NE, WY, UT, AZ, NV, ID, MT, CA, CO.

River Dude

« Reply #142 on: 10/29/08 04:27 PM »

I noticed that the postings talking about buying this mod are from 2007, does anyone know if TheBac or anyone else is still selling them?  I'm looking for a current link to contact information.

Stefan N

« Reply #143 on: 12/16/08 04:02 PM »

I just changed mine on my 02, I think I'm the first one that changed them  :o they where really dirty so it felt nice to change them  :A:
2008 LT3 Z71, 3,73, Black leather seats. Location SWEDEN!

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
« Reply #144 on: 12/17/08 11:44 AM »

did you clean the fan while you were in there?... it is real easy, you can see the bottom of the motor just to the right of the filter access and just push up and give it a little twist (I think it was clockwise) and it will drop right out and with a bunch of leaves too (at least for me).
Good luck!

Stefan N

« Reply #145 on: 12/17/08 03:03 PM »

did you clean the fan while you were in there?... it is real easy, you can see the bottom of the motor just to the right of the filter access and just push up and give it a little twist (I think it was clockwise) and it will drop right out and with a bunch of leaves too (at least for me).
Good luck!

Thanks, I missed that part  :(  Ill do it next time  :B:

cadboy1

« Reply #146 on: 04/04/09 04:34 PM »

I guess its been awhile since I changed them  :D
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
« Reply #147 on: 04/06/09 12:33 PM »

nasty!
I hope you didn't forget to pop the motor out and blowing out any leave that likely have gotten in there.

cadboy1

« Reply #148 on: 04/06/09 01:17 PM »

nasty!
I hope you didn't forget to pop the motor out and blowing out any leave that likely have gotten in there.

Never did that..Thanks for the tip  :D
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

QIK-CHG

« Reply #149 on: 04/06/09 01:37 PM »

I'd really like to do this filter mod on my 2003.  Does anyone have the contact info where I can order a kit?

Thanks,

Vic
2003 Z-66 Charcoal Grey WBH - all the options, except the DVD, "Hybrid" Steel Slide, Stull billet grille, JBA Ceramic headers, Borla Catback, Volant CAI, Predator tune, TX bowtie and TX Flag rear window graphic
QIK-CHG

RENORCR

« Reply #150 on: 04/06/09 05:23 PM »

I'd really like to do this filter mod on my 2003.  Does anyone have the contact info where I can order a kit?

Thanks,

Vic

No kits for (Later) 2003. It was too involved per "Bac".
« Last Edit: 04/06/09 07:03 PM by RENORCR »

cadboy1

« Reply #151 on: 04/06/09 05:51 PM »

Thanks,

Vic

I did not use any kit..Just a dremel tool and the filters  :D
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album
« Reply #152 on: 04/06/09 05:53 PM »

No kits for 2003. It was too involved.

Not exactly, I have a 2003, and have the "aftermarket kit".  Was sold by a former Site Partner here, I don't think he is still in the business.  The old Site Partner was last active on the site 10/22/06.

Other options include:

I cut 3 sides out. Peeled it back. Stuck in the filters. Duct tape the flap back. Replace trim panel to conceal duct tape  :D Works great, seals great  :A:

At least for my 2003, it was an easy mod.  There is a rectangle molded area that needs to be cut open to allow the filters to be inserted.  I used a utility knife to cut open along the molded line.  Then you need a method to cover the slot once the filters are installed.  There was a thread on the site where someone got the "cover" from a 2002 (most 2002's had the Cabin Filter from Factory) and used it in their modded later year.  It is not difficult.
« Last Edit: 04/07/09 04:36 AM by SpottyJ »

RENORCR

« Reply #153 on: 04/06/09 07:02 PM »

Not exactly, I have a 2003, and have the "aftermarket kit".  Was sold by a Site Partner here called TheBac, not sure if he is still in the business or not.  TheBac was last active on the site 10/22/06.

Other options include:

You jogged my memory  :E:. There were two type available. Kit 1/1a vs Kit 2. Kit1/1a was for 2002 and early 2003. It was a simple L-shape bracket. But Kit 2 had too many bends in it and in Post #112. It was said it was too much work for it.
« Last Edit: 04/06/09 07:03 PM by RENORCR »

QIK-CHG

« Reply #154 on: 04/06/09 08:10 PM »

Anyone know how to get in touch with "TheBac"?  Or does anyone know what the kit included, maybe the instructions?

Thanks,
Vic
2003 Z-66 Charcoal Grey WBH - all the options, except the DVD, "Hybrid" Steel Slide, Stull billet grille, JBA Ceramic headers, Borla Catback, Volant CAI, Predator tune, TX bowtie and TX Flag rear window graphic
QIK-CHG

Area51

• if it aint got a turbo then it aint sh*t
    • TORC
2003 Avalanche 2500 | 8.1L | 4L80E | 4.10 | 2x4 | SOLD :(

cadboy1

« Reply #156 on: 05/25/09 08:19 AM »

My filters are working overtime with all the pollen around  :D
04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
15 Chrysler 200C AWD

Jolt

• Aka Jeronimo, I'm 21 and LOVE my av!
« Reply #157 on: 07/20/10 12:39 AM »

Do we have some more pictures of install, If you have possibly done one, can you please post pictures?

I don't know where do cut or where to put this thing. I have an 04 WBH Climate control if that makes a difference, but I have to vacuum my truck out at least 3 times a week and it drives me nuts because my truck i always make SPOTLESS! It seems there are no more pictures left up~!

Thanks!

Leather, On*, XM, Bose, Corsa Catback, Hypertech Programmer, Dealer DVD headrests, Factory Nav, 20's, HIDs on low, all LED lights + Extra Puddle under steps, K&N, Sub interface+sub, IPOD interface, Escalade Platinum Gauges....
Others:
55 Chevy stepside Blu/blk
65 Corvette blk/blk
60 Impala Blu/blu - In progress
66 Mustang Blk/blk - In progress
95 Impala Blk/blk
63 Ranchero White/tan - FOR SALE
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
« Reply #158 on: 07/28/10 10:14 AM »

Here is a before and after pic.

Jolt

• Aka Jeronimo, I'm 21 and LOVE my av!
« Reply #159 on: 07/28/10 09:06 PM »

Perfect! thank you! Got this done today. I had to cut all the way to the front though, the whole bottom since the filter I bought from ebay was right size but one piece! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Leather, On*, XM, Bose, Corsa Catback, Hypertech Programmer, Dealer DVD headrests, Factory Nav, 20's, HIDs on low, all LED lights + Extra Puddle under steps, K&N, Sub interface+sub, IPOD interface, Escalade Platinum Gauges....
Others:
55 Chevy stepside Blu/blk
65 Corvette blk/blk
60 Impala Blu/blu - In progress
66 Mustang Blk/blk - In progress
95 Impala Blk/blk
63 Ranchero White/tan - FOR SALE
90 Mustang 5.0 Blk/gry
07 XLR Blk/B

tcory77

Cabin Air Filter in my 07
« Reply #160 on: 01/23/12 09:52 AM »

I am bringing this one back up top from the depths.

I drive an '07 LT Av.

My wife has complained for a while now that my Avalanche smells like crap......not literally, but you get the point.  I discovered a while back that there is no cabin filter, so no way to take care of this issue ohter than air freshners.  I also hate how dusty my cab gets and it doesn't matter how ofter I clean the inside of hte windsheild it gets the drity haze on it in no time.  Then I found this thread!!!!!  Seeing how the retrofit kit from this thread is not an option I took matters into my own hands.  Here is a step by step.

First I bought a Fram Fresh Breeze (the one with arm & hammer) in cabin air filter for a 2002 Av from Wal-Mart.

I unscrewed the two screws on the panel covering all of the components under the dash, leaving the third scew under the hum in tact (it would be a PIA to get it back on anyway).  I used a bungee to pull it out of the way so I could work.  Here is what I did next using pictures.

I measured the lenth of the area to be cut into and ultimately sealed.  I think it was around 11 inches or so.  I searched my garage to see what on earth I could use to seal it once I had cut into it and installed my filters.

Yep, that is a yard stick, cut to fit hte area once pushed all the way to the back.

Next I attached double sided foam tape that I had lying around my garage.  This will help keep this contraption in place and seal up the open area.

Now the fun part.  I used a box knife to cut the area open.  If you are good with a dremel I'd go that route, but I thought I'd get in bigger trouble using the dremel to make the cut.  Instead I used the dremel and the little sanding barrel (no idea what to call the thing) to clean up the edges and make the opening large enough for hte filters.

I then applied my contraption with the double sided tape.

Once I was happy with how it was sitting on there I used electrical tape to really seal up all the edges good and give it some solid support.

It took me about an hour for everything, thinking, searching the garage, messing up the yardstick idea a couple of times, using foam that was way too think, cutting the box open, cleaning it up, installation, and sealing the box.  All in all I htink it was a great addition.  I can tell the difference already and my wife can too.  She says it doesn't smell like crap as much!!!!!!  I'll take that, especially after the first day of use.  I need to detail the inside, so time will tell how it all works.  I am thinking it will keep the dust down and my windsheild won't have the hazy, dirty look near as often.  Plus I think after some use with the Arm & Hammer filter my truck will start to smell much better.

Anyway, thought I would share.  I have lurked on here for quite a while and recently thought I'd jump on in.  This is a great resource.

Enjoy. 

LornesAV

• CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member
« Reply #161 on: 01/23/12 07:10 PM »

Thanks I just found out we don't have a cabin filter and I planned on looking into something like this.
2008 Z71

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #162 on: 01/23/12 07:13 PM »

Well if it helps the cover in the 02s is part number 52494070
2003 2500

LornesAV

• CAFCNA 2012 Premium Member
« Reply #163 on: 01/23/12 09:57 PM »

Well if it helps the cover in the 02s is part number 52494070

So that cover will fit on the 07+?
2008 Z71

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #164 on: 01/24/12 08:26 AM »

I'm not sure but if the filter fits I think it is close. It is a under $10 part so maybe worth a try.
2003 2500

dtu

« Reply #165 on: 01/25/12 05:31 AM »

I used a piece of thick aluminum bar from home depot. Notched the end to fit the holder slot and used foam weather strip as the seal. Worked pretty good
2007 Black LTZ, black Powdercoated Bowties,

VBHOLLIC

• I LOVE My Chevy
« Reply #166 on: 08/14/13 06:30 PM »

I am interested in doing this for my 2010 Avy. I have a weird smell that occasionally comes from the air conditioning. 
Any one done this for something older than a 2007 that can give me some hands on advice.
2010 Summit White LT
6" Fabtech Lift with 35x12.5x20 Pro Comp tires, Fuel rims, Kenwood 7" Touch Screen Radio, Midgate box with 10" Rockford Fosgate woofers, Sony back up camera, aftermarket heated front seats, A&G step rails, painted side moldings/gas cover/emblems, black door handles, Sail panel LED's, Flowmaster Exhaust with 3" tip, Amber DRL's.

Stefan N

« Reply #167 on: 08/15/13 02:46 PM »

I am interested in doing this for my 2010 Avy. I have a weird smell that occasionally comes from the air conditioning. 
Any one done this for something older than a 2007 that can give me some hands on advice.
maybe this will help? Sprays in the vents

Davebo

Re: Cabin Air Filter in my 07
« Reply #168 on: 07/24/15 10:35 PM »

I am bringing this one back up top from the depths.

I drive an '07 LT Av.

My wife has complained for a while now that my Avalanche smells like crap......not literally, but you get the point.  I discovered a while back that there is no cabin filter, so no way to take care of this issue ohter than air freshners.  I also hate how dusty my cab gets and it doesn't matter how ofter I clean the inside of hte windsheild it gets the drity haze on it in no time.  Then I found this thread!!!!!  Seeing how the retrofit kit from this thread is not an option I took matters into my own hands.  Here is a step by step.

First I bought a Fram Fresh Breeze (the one with arm & hammer) in cabin air filter for a 2002 Av from Wal-Mart.

I unscrewed the two screws on the panel covering all of the components under the dash, leaving the third scew under the hum in tact (it would be a PIA to get it back on anyway).  I used a bungee to pull it out of the way so I could work.  Here is what I did next using pictures.

I measured the lenth of the area to be cut into and ultimately sealed.  I think it was around 11 inches or so.  I searched my garage to see what on earth I could use to seal it once I had cut into it and installed my filters.

Yep, that is a yard stick, cut to fit hte area once pushed all the way to the back.

Next I attached double sided foam tape that I had lying around my garage.  This will help keep this contraption in place and seal up the open area.

Now the fun part.  I used a box knife to cut the area open.  If you are good with a dremel I'd go that route, but I thought I'd get in bigger trouble using the dremel to make the cut.  Instead I used the dremel and the little sanding barrel (no idea what to call the thing) to clean up the edges and make the opening large enough for hte filters.

I then applied my contraption with the double sided tape.

Once I was happy with how it was sitting on there I used electrical tape to really seal up all the edges good and give it some solid support.

It took me about an hour for everything, thinking, searching the garage, messing up the yardstick idea a couple of times, using foam that was way too think, cutting the box open, cleaning it up, installation, and sealing the box.  All in all I htink it was a great addition.  I can tell the difference already and my wife can too.  She says it doesn't smell like crap as much!!!!!!  I'll take that, especially after the first day of use.  I need to detail the inside, so time will tell how it all works.  I am thinking it will keep the dust down and my windsheild won't have the hazy, dirty look near as often.  Plus I think after some use with the Arm & Hammer filter my truck will start to smell much better.

Anyway, thought I would share.  I have lurked on here for quite a while and recently thought I'd jump on in.  This is a great resource.

Enjoy. 

Davebo

« Reply #169 on: 07/24/15 10:39 PM »

Was looking at the 07 Modification with the ruler.  I have an 05 1500, and am considering doing this.  Anyone know what size filter(s) fit with this modification?  Also, where would I be able to get them.  Thanks

Dave

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: 07/25/15 05:17 AM »

Look for ones made for the 2002 avy.
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

oih82w8

• CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member
  • Longtime Chevy owner...First time Avalanche owner
« Reply #171 on: 10/24/15 09:38 AM »

...and to think that my just thought that I was too lazy to swap out her filters in her 04 Suburban...I may have to accomplish this little mod and "practice" on hers before engaging into my Avy.   :4:
oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

2008 LT 5.3L; K&N air filter, Magnaflow muffler, so far...

gtrick

« Reply #172 on: 06/03/17 11:15 AM »

It appears that the link in your cabin air filter post is no longer valid.
 If that kit is still available could you please re-post it.
Thanks,
Gene
2011 Avy LT

moosc

« Reply #173 on: 06/06/17 08:38 PM »

The item isn't available anymore. But u can make your own.

Blkdawg

« Reply #174 on: 06/09/17 06:17 PM »

I have a 2005 Z71.
So there is no filter at all??? none?
My air suddenly require a lot higher power to blow some air. I thought it's gotta be dirty air filter. Popped it open a realize there is no cover to replace filter.

So what could be wrong with my AC system?

thanks 

moosc

« Reply #175 on: 06/09/17 07:07 PM »

Nope no filter at all. Unit is sealed shut. Not sure why it's not blowing hot.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: 06/10/17 05:38 AM »

I have a 2005 Z71.
So there is no filter at all??? none?
My air suddenly require a lot higher power to blow some air. I thought it's gotta be dirty air filter. Popped it open a realize there is no cover to replace filter.

So what could be wrong with my AC system?

thanks 

Check all vents and floor and defroster.... maybe door actuators stuck in partial open position so air is going out more vents....which slows it down...

OR fan motor is going out....

or evap coil is clogged with junk.... or maybe heater core is blocked...
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

HellHoof

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
« Reply #177 on: 06/12/17 08:26 AM »

I'm not sure but if the filter fits I think it is close. It is a under $10 part so maybe worth a try.

Just ordered one from Amazon. I'll post my results on installing in my 09
2009 LTZ

oih82w8

• CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member
  • Longtime Chevy owner...First time Avalanche owner
« Reply #178 on: 09/26/17 11:43 AM »

I installed the CAF in my 08 a few months ago, and the difference is incredible!  It was kind of a PITA getting the door cut out using a sharp box cutter, and trimmed up the edges with a rotary tool, but it is well worth it IMO.  Amazon was the source of the kit; filter, door and mount screw.
oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

2008 LT 5.3L; K&N air filter, Magnaflow muffler, so far...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 24 queries.