Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you want a cabin air filter in your 2003 and up Avy!?!  (Read 86550 times)

GPM1972

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Folks,

I've got a 2002 Z-71 with CAF.  It's the first and only vehicle I've owned with this feature. It's this only vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't generate a ton of dust on the interior parts.  (as long as I keep the filters changed).  Not unusual to find all kinds of in the filter chamber--leaves, pollen, etc

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

GPM, how often are you changing the filters? Thanks for your input...
sssMOked 2004 Onyx Black/LPM Z71

www.myspace.com/sssmokinav

Waz

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Some times you just have to grin and bear it.

I have not seen the install instructions yet, so here is an uninformed question -  Any idea how much air flow is restricted/reduced by the introduction of these filters?

I assume the filters runs across the air flow?

On my wife's Maxima, I have ran without the filter and the air moved much more powerfully out the vents with the filter out.  The Nissan was designed for the filter.  Wonder what will happen to the Avalanche air flow with filter installed. 

Any back pressure issues to be concerned with? 

I read thru most of their thread about the development of this mod and the question about air restriction did come up over there. One of the guys said their AC seemed cooler with the filters in. They seemed to believe that the AC system was originally designed to have the filters there and the General deleted them to save money without any redesign to allow for greater airflow. Something like more hot air in faster makes it harder to cool or less time for it to cool going thru the system.

I don't know but, if you don't like it you can still remove the filters and the plate will still seal the hole.
'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

I dont think it restricts airflow any...otherwise 2002 guys would be complaining of low air flow...I dont know, but I dont think ive heard of any of those problems..

2002 Avy guys...is your airflow OK?
-2005 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, LT, CC/SB, 4x4, Black-
BD Supermax turbo!!! Suncoast IV trans, custom EFILive tunes, XM, Escalade LUX TNR/CDX, 11 Bose speakers! AFE stage 2, Escalade handles, tierod Sleeves, 18" Eagle's/BFG 285's, MBRP Cool duals, HID's, Denali Wood steering wheel/wood window switches, Prodigy brake controller, Autometer Nexus EGT/Boost gauges, roof lamps, "Denalified" interior with Denali center console!!!
...if I won the lottery, I'd put an Avy body on my Dmax...

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW
    • [img]http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48623.0;id=35879[/img]

Great find.  I'm gonna see what mine looks like tomorrow.

Josh
P1SC, 3 core intercooler, 60# injectors, Alkycontrol meth kit, Dynatech Long tubes, Borla Catback, Victor Jr. intake manifold, Dr.X harness, Intake elbow, ported 90mm TB, Slowhawk 224/228 cam , Patriot Xtreme springs, Innovators West balancer, Slowhawk 2bar SD tune, dynojet wideband, Trannyman built tranny, 4:10 gears, Yukon duragrip, Yank PT 3200, 05 Efans, nelson harness.  26" drag radials.  525rwhp 475tq

TheBac

• I have a Dmax, but I can respect the Av!

Hello,  Av Fan Club!     TheBac here!    :wave:

A little bio:  I'm a UPS guy in Lansing, MI, and I love to tinker with things on the side.  I've been with the DieselPlace since just after it came into being in 2003.  I had an 02 DMax with cabin filters, and when I changed them out,  I was amazed at how much these things cleaned the incoming air.  I sold that truck, and bought an 03, not thinking about the lack of filters.  I found out the 03 doesn't have them, and since  my son has allergies to dust and mold, so I knew I had to do something.

At about the same time, another member posted about installing Cabin Filters, and my friend Jeff (CrazyDaze on the Place) and I got  rather heavily involved in that thread.  In the end, Jeff and I did not like the idea of using tape to seal the hole...hence the idea for a cover. He and I had completely differnet HVAC units, which was odd.  So, we came up with the covers for our trucks.   As I state in the Vendor thread at the Place, after I posted our findings and our solutions, I had people asking me to make up a kit...so I did.     :0:

My fellow Dmax'er, Ben (DURAtotheMAX at the Place),  posted the link to my filter thread. Thank you very, very much Ben.    As a side note,  I'll tell you what people....Ben is one smart guy.  He brought the NAV install over to us Dmaxer's, and there are a lot of us that say "THANK YOU" to you guys for coming up with it.

I'm just a regular guy that took an idea and ran with it.  I'm not a company, or afffiliated with any company.

If you have questions, fire off an email to me. Make sure you put "Filter Question" in the subject, otherwise my spam filter will not let it through. 

I'll try to address the concerns you've already brought up as best I can in this thread.

BTW, before I bought my Dmax, I was seriously considering an Avalanche WBH.  My kids call them "Fold-up Trucks".   

I hope this is ok with your administrators.  If its not, please let me know. 
« Last Edit: 01/10/06 09:26 PM by TheBac »
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD DMax/Allison  -- yeah, its not an Avalanche.  Think of me as your "black sheep" cousin who's not quite all there......

Cabin filter retrofit kit mod, Highbeam/fog light mod,  High idle upgrade,   265 LTX's.   Juice/Attitude/"mystery program" stack--453HP/876TQ on the dyno

Cabin Filter Kits now available

TheBac

I have not seen the install instructions yet, so here is an uninformed question -  Any idea how much air flow is restricted/reduced by the introduction of these filters?

I assume the filters runs across the air flow?

On my wife's Maxima, I have ran without the filter and the air moved much more powerfully out the vents with the filter out.  The Nissan was designed for the filter.  Wonder what will happen to the Avalanche air flow with filter installed. 

Any back pressure issues to be concerned with? 

This is what I posted at the Place:

I hope you understand when I say I won't send out the instructions with out a kit being bought. 

Anytime you install something in the flow path, whether its air or liquid, you'll get some restriction. Jeff and I did not notice any major impact on our systems. In fact, Jeff thought his A/C was COLDER with the filters installed. The filters install right in front of the evaporator.

You obviously cant forget to check your filters on a couple times a year schedule, and replace them every year. As the filters get filled with gunk, the airflow will decrease. We figure that may be one of the reasons GM discontinued them...because people didn't check them, they complained about reduced A/C performance, and GM had to do warranty repairs for a serviceable item.

Hope that answers your questions....
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD DMax/Allison  -- yeah, its not an Avalanche.  Think of me as your "black sheep" cousin who's not quite all there......

Cabin filter retrofit kit mod, Highbeam/fog light mod,  High idle upgrade,   265 LTX's.   Juice/Attitude/"mystery program" stack--453HP/876TQ on the dyno

TNAV

• How About those RED SOX!

Thanks Tom and welcome to CAFCNA  :wave:
You will need to check with one of these guys: DougD/YGMN/SteelheadChaser on becoming a site sponsor to sell the kits here.

TIA
Bob

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW
    • [img]http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=48623.0;id=35879[/img]

is it necessary for him to sell here?  There is a link posted to a site where you can purchase them.

Josh
P1SC, 3 core intercooler, 60# injectors, Alkycontrol meth kit, Dynatech Long tubes, Borla Catback, Victor Jr. intake manifold, Dr.X harness, Intake elbow, ported 90mm TB, Slowhawk 224/228 cam , Patriot Xtreme springs, Innovators West balancer, Slowhawk 2bar SD tune, dynojet wideband, Trannyman built tranny, 4:10 gears, Yukon duragrip, Yank PT 3200, 05 Efans, nelson harness.  26" drag radials.  525rwhp 475tq

moosc

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

my 2006 freightliner columbia has a cab filter i love it stick a drier sheet on it my truck smells fresh ha ha but true ill be doing this mod when the weather gets better.... :B:

Have you heard???  The 2017 National is coming to STI..!!!!!!!!
Click Banner Above for More Info

TNAV

• How About those RED SOX!

is it necessary for him to sell here?  There is a link posted to a site where you can purchase them.

Josh
Playing it safe as I've seen posts like this get removed before and where TheBac is not a site sponsor I wasn't sure. Figured better safe than sorry, but hey I could be wrong  :beating:

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW

understood

TheBac

I read thru most of their thread about the development of this mod and the question about air restriction did come up over there. One of the guys said their AC seemed cooler with the filters in. They seemed to believe that the AC system was originally designed to have the filters there and the General deleted them to save money without any redesign to allow for greater airflow. Something like more hot air in faster makes it harder to cool or less time for it to cool going thru the system.

I don't know but, if you don't like it you can still remove the filters and the plate will still seal the hole.

Yes, thats a long thread....I can get long-winded somtimes.  Sorry about that.

Jeff and I surmised that GM was PLANNING on installing the filters in the 2003-up trucks.  They went so far as to mold the bosses and the attaching points into the HVAC units.  BUT, they were having trouble with customers filing warranty claims, complaining about 01-02 models having reduced A/C performance.  GM went overboard trying to find a fix (a lot of TSBs on this problem), and we surmise that in the end, GM found that a reason was because the filters were clogging up.  So, to save money, they just had the HVAC mfg fill the mold points and "delete" the filters.

We figure that adding the filters just brings the airflow to the point where GM originally wanted it.  Jeff noted that his A/C was colder (granted, we didn't go so far as doing a flow or temp test, just the sit-in-the-vehicle-on-a-hot-day test) after the install.  He and I think that because the filters restrict flow slightly, they actually HELP the evaporator handle the incoming airflow.  

You just have to check your cabin filters, same as fuel/oil/air.   But since YOU are installing them, instead of it being a "forgotten" option...chances are you will not have any problems.

Hope that helps.....

TheBac

Thanks Tom and welcome to CAFCNA  :wave:
You will need to check with one of these guys: DougD/YGMN/SteelheadChaser on becoming a site sponsor to sell the kits here.

TIA
Bob

I will ask them.  Thank you.

I'm on the DP almost every day, I'll check in here to answer questions too.
« Last Edit: 01/02/06 07:56 PM by TheBac »

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
  • BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!

I just sent my paypal too...how I wonder how long it will take to get it?
'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!

TheBac

This is the prototype that currently resides in my truck.  The regular covers are black powdercoated steel. 

I ship them Priority Mail (yeah...UPS is too expensive in this case)...I think thats normally 3 days.
« Last Edit: 01/02/06 08:14 PM by TheBac »

duramaxHD

• gold bowties rule

Hey Tom!! I think I know you from somewhere... :wave:

Glad you got everything all set up...I know lots of people will be happy to breathe fresh air again!

for the nav install we all should thank CAFCNA member "Sperry". He is the real genius here and paved the way before I even know what a "TNR" or "lux amp" was. He is an incredibly smart guy and deserves full credit, which is why I mentioned him in my long nav install article over at the Place. His INR/Lux amp was up and running wayyy back in January of 2004 I beleive! :o (wow it seems so long ago!)

--Ben
-2005 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, LT, CC/SB, 4x4, Black-
BD Supermax turbo!!! Suncoast IV trans, custom EFILive tunes, XM, Escalade LUX TNR/CDX, 11 Bose speakers! AFE stage 2, Escalade handles, tierod Sleeves, 18" Eagle's/BFG 285's, MBRP Cool duals, HID's, Denali Wood steering wheel/wood window switches, Prodigy brake controller, Autometer Nexus EGT/Boost gauges, roof lamps, "Denalified" interior with Denali center console!!!
...if I won the lottery, I'd put an Avy body on my Dmax...

TheBac

Hi Ben!   :wave:    Thank you!   

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Hi again Tom,
Glad you made it over here  :welcome: just remember that Monique's filter goes in the mail before Damon's  :4:
Thanks again for answering all the questions!
Monique

JJsnowking

• 401 CREW

whether is kinda nasty out.  I'll check mine when the snow stops.

Josh

BUDDY23

This looks like a GREAT mod.

Excellent post and  :welcome: Tom.

I want to know how this works out before I order mine.  I still have to check my Av...when it stops raining.  :beating:

TheBac

Hi again Tom,
Glad you made it over here :welcome: just remember that Monique's filter goes in the mail before Damon's :4:
Thanks again for answering all the questions!
Monique

Both went out today.....you two just slay me.  You guys are just as nutz about your trucks as we are about our Dmax's.

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Both went out today.....you two just slay me.  You guys are just as nutz about your trucks as we are about our Dmax's.

Thanks Tom...and dont you worry...I'm gonna get mine installed first. I'll let ya know the second its here and in.  :wave:
~monique

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
  • BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!

Thats right Tom, Mo is gonna be the 1st after me...I will post how it goes as soon as I get it in...and Mo, feel free to call for how to install (i'll have 1 under my belt by then). :P

Seriously though...we should have a/c filter install GTG....whatch think?
'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

Thats right Tom, Mo is gonna be the 1st after me...I will post how it goes as soon as I get it in...and Mo, feel free to call for how to install (i'll have 1 under my belt by then). :P

Seriously though...we should have a/c filter install GTG....whatch think?

I think an A/C filter install GTG sounds great. I'll let ya help me install mine FIRST...then we can do yours   :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 8  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.