Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you want a cabin air filter in your 2003 and up Avy!?!  (Read 86583 times)

TheBac

• I have a Dmax, but I can respect the Av!

FYI....

We are working with TheBac to become a site partner...

Thank you much for helping me.  I guess we'll see what we'll see...

Now, does that mean this thread is going to die since you posted in it?    :4:
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD DMax/Allison  -- yeah, its not an Avalanche.  Think of me as your "black sheep" cousin who's not quite all there......

Cabin filter retrofit kit mod, Highbeam/fog light mod,  High idle upgrade,   265 LTX's.   Juice/Attitude/"mystery program" stack--453HP/876TQ on the dyno

Cabin Filter Kits now available

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Now, does that mean this thread is going to die since you posted in it?    :4:

Yup!
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
  • BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!

Don't worry Tom, you still have a chance...just start talking about home improvement :P
'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!

TheBac

Don't worry Tom, you still have a chance...just start talking about home improvement :P

Oh God....no!  Not home improvement!  Anything but that!   :laugh:
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD DMax/Allison  -- yeah, its not an Avalanche.  Think of me as your "black sheep" cousin who's not quite all there......

Cabin filter retrofit kit mod, Highbeam/fog light mod,  High idle upgrade,   265 LTX's.   Juice/Attitude/"mystery program" stack--453HP/876TQ on the dyno

RENORCR

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • (aka "RENO") Too many mods, too little time!!!

I am working on Kit#2.   I bought a metal brake to help make the bends, but I'm still having trouble duplicating all the bends needed.  I also have to do fit and finish on them, and since they are in 2 planes instead of one, I have to be spot-on.  I love R&D.   :E:

Trust me, this one is a royal PITA to make.  I hope to have something concrete in the next couple weeks.  I've got 3 people over at the Place asking about them, too.   

I figure it was a PITA to make. Especially after I took a look myself.

Anyway, Thanks!  :A:
2003 1500 Z66 Black (SVO/PI) - BLT: 11/02  Arrived: 4/03
Light Mods: Amber FT/DRL's, Blue/Red LED, Hood Light, Kickpanel lights, Maglight mod
Ext Mods: HellWig 7701/7702, FTS8002, Z71 Skid Plate, Frt/Rr Combo WAAG guards, Manik Taillght Guard, Custom Frt/Rr 2500 Wheel Moulding, Husky MudGuards
Engine Mods: 145 Amp Alt, Aux Trans Cooler, Flexalite Oil Cooler, Painless Dual Battery

TNAV

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • How About those RED SOX!

TheBac

Steelheadchaser replied to me, but I'm still trying to figure out where to send my money and what exactly I'm supposed to do....

Sorry kids, I'm new to all this.....

You're gonna laugh, but I do want a little "SP" bowtie....

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

I've been watching the topic over on TDP since the beginning.  I could have had this installed months ago and beat all of you guys N gals!   :B:

Now that the R&D has progress a bit further I am going to order a kit for my AV.

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------
Black '05 2500 Avalanche LT 4x4 ● 496 ● 3.73:1 G80
TNR ● Sunroof ● Rear seat DVD

Phoenix

• I love to hunt, fish and drive my Avalanche!

ok sounds like a great mod my wife has alergys problems and this would be great...Who sells them  and how much...or can some one tell me the napa part number and where to cut or a pic I am pretty handy about making things so any help may get me there..thanks
04 victory red z71 Loaded baby, tint all the way around, Amber DRLs, sail panel lights, maglight mod, ice chest lights, hard wired radar detector, 06 z71 emblems, flowmaster 2 into 1, K&N air filter, custom cluster, red leds in a/c vents and overhead. and rear console..

18ft 03 Bass Tracker / 90hp 4 stroke.
26ft 93 Four Winns Eliminator 460 King Cobra.

1999 SS camaro loaded Automatic ( wifes car, I hardly get to drive it! Only when something is wrong with it! , programed to run. stock pushin 350 hors

TheBac

I've been watching the topic over on TDP since the beginning.  I could have had this installed months ago and beat all of you guys N gals!   :B:

Now that the R&D has progress a bit further I am going to order a kit for my AV.

Are you a member over there?  If so, who?

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Steelheadchaser replied to me, but I'm still trying to figure out where to send my money and what exactly I'm supposed to do....

Sorry kids, I'm new to all this.....

You're gonna laugh, but I do want a little "SP" bowtie....

You can use PAYPAL or mail to SHC...  He will hook you up....as he is treasurer....
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

moosc

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

my question is why did gm go with 2 filters instead of one seems like better air flow if you had a single filter :E:

Have you heard???  The 2017 National is coming to STI..!!!!!!!!
Click Banner Above for More Info

sssMOkinAV

• got Mo?

my question is why did gm go with 2 filters instead of one seems like better air flow if you had a single filter :E:

the filters sit side by side...not on top of each other...so they are not impeding any airflow any more than one would.  :1:
sssMOked 2004 Onyx Black/LPM Z71

www.myspace.com/sssmokinav

TheBac

Because there is NO way you're going to get a big filter up into the HVAC with the angle of the floor right there.   You'd mutilate a big filter in a second.
« Last Edit: 01/17/06 06:35 PM by TheBac »

TheBac

You can use PAYPAL or mail to SHC...  He will hook you up....as he is treasurer....

Thanks ygmn.  I'm just waiting on his call now so I can get the details from him.  Hopefully in the next couple days this'll get done.

Also, I've bent up a few B-covers, and I've got to get over to my friend's house to test-fit them.  If all goes well, they'll be going to the powder-coater next week.
« Last Edit: 01/18/06 03:38 AM by TheBac »

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

Are you a member over there? If so, who?

Chris N5CWM.  I have the same avatar over there that I do here.  Suprised you didn't notice!  :) 

I received the filter kit a few days ago and finally got around to installing it.  Believe it or not, cutting the  slot for the filters was the easy part.  What kicked my behind was the second filter.  I knew it was a tight fit, but there was NO way the second filter was going in without getting all crunched up and deforming.  The NAPA box had two nice filters with foam around the outer edges for improved sealing but that foam was NOT on the filters that I changed out in my previously owned 2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500.  I changed the cabin filters in it once and they were pretty much the same, sans the foam sealing strip around the perimeter.  It took me about 30 minutes to cut the slot with my Dremel and a sharp box cutter to clean up the edges.  I figured I was as good as done when  the first filter popped right in and I slid it forward to make way for the 2nd filter. When I tried to push it up in there,  the sides would rub and the whole filter would distort.  It was NOT going to go.  First I tried peeling off the foam from one side, but it wasn't enough.  I ended up peeling the foam from both sides of both filters, and it was still a tight fit!  There is a slight deformation in each filter. The pleats are somewhat crunched due to the tight fit.  Having removed the rectangular doohickey (a thermal monitoring device I suppose) enabled me to view up into the HVAC unit with a flashlight, clearly able to see the filters being mangled.  Well they're in now, but I'd say about 90% effective due to some slight gaps around the sides and bottom from being deformed due to a tight fit.
I am certain that the filters I installed in my 2001 did not have the foam seal glued to the outer edges like these did.  I am going to shop around the local auto parts stores and see what they have and if the dimensions are similar.
I did manage to take a few photos but they are still on my digital camera. I'll post the URL link to them when I get them on my server.
Overall, Kudos to TheBAC for such a well put together kit!  The metal strip and it's seal are well made.  The instructions are excellent, and the owner's manual page insert and small decal for the glovebox are cool ideas. 

When I had the box opened up I looked into the area near the blower, and there is a fine layer of dust already starting to build inside the HVAC unit.  These filters will cut down on that stuff nicely over time.  My AV only has 7,800 miles on it and none of it is on dirt roads.

Now to get those pics up for viewing. 

:B:

Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• CAFCNA Global Moderator
  • This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

Here is a pic of the In Cabin Filter from the 2002 Chevy Avalanche Repair Manual.  Although the picture of the housing looks like the style that will fit the future release of "Kit#2", not Kit#1. 

Because there is NO way you're going to get a big filter up into the HVAC with the angle of the floor right there.   You'd mutilate a big filter in a second.

This filter appears to be one piece.  How many piece filters do the 2002 owners have?
2013 LT/Z-71 (retired a 2003 Z-71)

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

there are 2...that filter in the illustration goes up and then slides forward enough to clear a 2nd filter to just insert up...and mine fit snug (w/ the foam in place)...I love it!

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

BTW... I also suggest taking out the floor mat to get enough room to get the filter in...seems odd, i know, but it helped me.
Good luck,
Damon

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

Here are the >pics I took during the modification< and installation.

« Last Edit: 01/26/06 06:33 AM by AViator »
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

Here are the >pics I took during the modification< and installation.

Thanks for the pics :A:

In your pic here, it looks like the filter is bent/squished and has a gap.  What are your thoughts as you have seen this in person?  Were you able to get them to lay flatter?
« Last Edit: 01/26/06 06:44 AM by SpottyJ »

AViator

• More fun per gallon!

I was able to get the filters to seal better with a long screwdriver, using it to push and prod the filters into place. That picture was taken before I closed up the system.  I intentionally took that pic to show that even if the filters appear to be installed correctly, you should remove the two screws holding the airflow/temp sensor and take a peek with a flashlight.

The dimensions where the filters slide into place may have been changed since I had my 2001 Yukon XL.  Filters popped in with no effort at all on that one.  The addition of the sealing foam around the filters is a nice touch but it makes installing the second filter impossible without distorting either one of them.
Chris KH2PM
*SOLD* December 2013
-----------------------

SpottyJ

• This is SpottyJ
    • My Album

I intentionally took that pic to show that even if the filters appear to be installed correctly, you should remove the two screws holding the airflow/temp sensor and take a peek with a flashlight.

Thanks, I wondered how there could be such a hole  :E:

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member

2 things you might check...

1. is take the filter s out and look in the slot...and in that front corner, I had a collection of trash sitting in there.
2. is it looks like the rear most side of the cut could be cut back another 1/8th of inch to give more filter access.

Good luck.

Phoenix

• I love to hunt, fish and drive my Avalanche!

yep looks like a good mod..I will be doing this soon..
04 victory red z71 Loaded baby, tint all the way around, Amber DRLs, sail panel lights, maglight mod, ice chest lights, hard wired radar detector, 06 z71 emblems, flowmaster 2 into 1, K&N air filter, custom cluster, red leds in a/c vents and overhead. and rear console..

18ft 03 Bass Tracker / 90hp 4 stroke.
26ft 93 Four Winns Eliminator 460 King Cobra.

1999 SS camaro loaded Automatic ( wifes car, I hardly get to drive it! Only when something is wrong with it! , programed to run. stock pushin 350 hors
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 24 queries.