• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Do you want a cabin air filter in your 2003 and up Avy!?!

duramaxHD

As many of you know, GM loves to save a buck, so along with the underhood light and several other small but useful things, they deleted the cabin air filter in 2003 and newer Avalanche's (and every other GMT-800 vehicle). I definetly notice dust collecting in my 2005 truck and Id imagine it be even worse out west where its dusty and dry.

BUT...there is hope... Tom Bacon, a member at The Diesel Place (GM Duramax forum, I beleive a couple Avy guys from CAFCNA are members there too), has put together a nice cabin air filter retrofit kit complete with parts and instructions for the 2003 and up GMT-800 trucks/SUV's. I figured since there were a couple threads about the lack of cabin air filter that the Avy guys (and girls!) might be interested in it... Here is all the info...Im not sure if you have to be a member or not to view the page, but if you do, I can copy the info or have Tom post it... Hope this helps! I personally have not had a chance to do my cabin air filter upgrade yet but I definetly plan to before the summer when it gets dusty again...

--Ben

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53218

If I read that correct you first have to determine what style box you have? As an allergy sufferer I would jump on this :love:

I beleive as long as you have a 2003 or up Avy, the kit will work... There are two options basically for the filter type. One is the OEM GM filter that fit in the 2002 and earlier trucks, and the other is a higher quality finer charcoal filter that will also remove odors...

--Ben

I still have a bunch of filters from when I had an 02 :love:

i get this weird smell...intermittently...cant really describe it (kinda metallic-y) and I am hoping the charcoal filter will eliminate it.

it should...charcoal filters are good at scrubbing smells out of the air...not just particles such as dust..

duramaxHD.... Absolutly GREAT post/mod. Bookmarked pending AVy hvac system inspection in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks for the info...? bbb.

bigbadblue said:
duramaxHD.... Absolutly GREAT post/mod. Bookmarked pending AVy hvac system inspection in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks for the info...? bbb.

Same here. I hope I have the first HVAC system :love:

I have 2 corded Dremel tools and one cordless. I can have one in each hand and one on standby :love:

Excellent find duramaxHD :D I was hoping something like this fix would come along. I noticed a big difference between my 02' and my 03' in interior dust. I think I will definitely jump on this one.? :love:

WOW
I just sent Tom an email to check out the instructions, after reviewing if it looks like I can pull it off I'm in for the $40.00  :B:

OK, just checked and my 04 Z71 WBH looks just like the first pic on the link...i will post my pic in?a minute...

here it is (slightly different angle than in the link but same set-up)

124147846.jpg

I'm ordering the charcoal filter....

just sent my order in...I'm gonna beat both you!

BigBlackAv said:
just sent my order in...I'm gonna beat both you!

we'll see....we'll see....remember, i am HOME all day to get it from the mailbox and install it :p plus I am closer to him...you're at least 3 hours further away by mail truck  :p

I have heard you can make it in 1 hr and 30 min.....besides...arn't you supposed to be watching 7th heaven or something like that (kids) :p

Dang u all could do this now just cut a hole slip in the filters yes 2 of them then cover your new hole with a plate and a seal ha ha :beating:

oh no...say it isn't so!

I have not seen the install instructions yet, so here is an uninformed question -  Any idea how much air flow is restricted/reduced by the introduction of these filters?

I assume the filters runs across the air flow?

On my wife's Maxima, I have ran without the filter and the air moved much more powerfully out the vents with the filter out.  The Nissan was designed for the filter.  Wonder what will happen to the Avalanche air flow with filter installed. 

Any back pressure issues to be concerned with? 

That's a good question, Spotty...I will let you know as I just paypal'd the guy. I figure a good set of instructions and not having to go to the auto parts store and find the parts myself is worth the $$...we'll see about the pressure.

:B: monique

Back