• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

EZ SLIDER Bedslide For Less Than $75!!!

D

DocToss

I really like the bedslide idea, but it is a little expensive for me right now. Has anyone thought about going to home depot and making a bedslide out of shelving or such. I think I will try. I bet you could build a small version for less than $50.

Doc,

I'll bet you could build the full-sized version for way under a hundred dollars. ?It's one of those things that you look at and think "Why didn't I think of that."

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe if it's built only for yourself, there is no patent invasion. ?The sticker ?says "Patent Pending," ?so I would have to assume that no patent has been awarded yet.

If you need any drawings, photos or dimensions of my Bedslide, just yell.

Steve

PS ?I'm going to the dealers to have my Snugtop fitted in about an hour. ?The "driveway truck gang" thinks the idea of a Snugtop and a Bedslide is heresy, but I think it will be the most practical truck around. Us old duffers can appreciate that. ;D

if you just copy the thing for your own personal use and you are not out there selling it or the plans, I don't see much of any legal issues, and I just happen to know this lawyer who drives a blue Av with all sorts of aux lights on it . . . ;)

Doc,

I've been looking closely at my Bedslide and it is really a piece of art. The bottom rollers are to be expected, but the side rollers are something I hadn't thought of. I can see where the side rollers would come into play when opening the slide on a sidehill. You just have to love the way this thing is designed.

Steve :B:

I was just thinking of something simple like a large drawer. I am not worried about legal issues, I was just wanting to make something to pull out like the bedslide.

Got my bedslide installed...Am impressed with the quality and the company....They were very helpful...Only one thing wrong with the bedslide that i have found....The edges are sharp and i have ordered some rubber edgeing from good old JC Whitney....should take care of that problem....

Could any of you guys that put one put some pics on the board.

If I could see the rail, how it's done, I can be like the Japanese - take the invention and innovate the heck out of it.

Thanks (BTW - that's meant as a compliment!)

Here is what it looks like.

final.jpg

This is what it costs to build it:

Parts List
?? sheet of plywood ? $20 - $45
2x3 lumber $5
7 - 2? wheels @ $1.55 each ?= $12 (From Lowes)
Nuts & Bolts $3
Handle $3
Sandpaper $1
Optional:
Indoor Outdoor Carpeting $5-$10 or bedliner spray 2 cans @ $7.50 = $15 (Pep Boys or Wal Mart)

Total cost $60-$75

IMG_0271.jpg

What makes it so neat:
Cost hundreds less than the commercial model
Extremely easy to remove ? does not attach to truck
Allows for unlimited customization options
Absolutely no alteration, drilling, or removal of anything on your Avalanche
Available in your choice of finishes

Tools:
Drill
Screwdriver
Saw ?(not required have Home Depot cut the lumber for you)

Steps

You have a choice of going with a ?stock? version or custom version. ? I designed a custom version because I wanted to store a Hi-Jack Lift, shovel, and cargo net. ?On my truck, I strap these things on the side of the bed. ?I wanted a bed slide that will allow these items to be stored but not interfere with the operation of the bed slide.

IMG_0260.jpg

Double check my measurements with your own truck bed and go down to Home Depot or Lowes. ?Select a sheet of ? inch plywood. ? ?It comes in a variety of grades and prices. ?I like the heavier oak or birch sheets but you don?t need to get anything this fancy. ?Have them cut the plywood to your measurement. ?Also get a 2x3 stud (2 x 4) also works but is heavier. ?I liked the smaller one. ? Have them cut that to the desired width (48? for stock model).

main.jpg

The wheels need to be lined up to match the grooves on the truck mat and stops on the tailgate. ?The layout I used allows the bed slide to project out 12? past the tailgate. ?This allowed me to reach the back of the slide yet not be so far out that the slide will tip over.

IMG_0255.jpg

Mount the wheels.

wheels.jpg

Screw in the rear stop using the 2x3 and attach the handle.

corner.jpg

Spray it with the bedlinner paint or cover it with indoor/outdoor carpeting ?and you are ready to go. ?
IMG_0306.jpg

Bed slide mods:

You can leave the slide in the natural wood finish, put indoor/outdoor carpeting, or have it sprayed with a bedliner material.

You can also add tie downs, trays, hooks, lights or anything else to this. ? Simply drill the holes and attach it. ?

I sprayed some silicone spray on the wheels to make them slide smoother on the mat.

Problems:
The only problem I have encountered so far is that it will bounce up when I hit a bump hard. ?I minimize this problem by leaving the original bed mat inside and attaching a bungie cord to the end.

This is still a work in progress. ?Feel free to add your comments and suggestions.

Enjoy......

Is Home Depot open this late? Darn, I'll have to start this mod tomorrow. Great Idea!!!

Hey, that's a really well done mod.

Off topic: spectron65, you know that the storage bag goes the other way, yes? The plastic domes should be against the bed sides. Might have it this way for a reason, dunno. :)

spectron said:
SQ,

I have a question: Does your roll away bedslide stop at these corners when the midgate is down?

autostop.GIF

I haven't test it with the midgate down. But I am sure you can built something into the bed to make it stop at a specific spot. I have the second set of wheels stop between the tailgate and the truckbed when it is extended.

not to get off topic, but does anyone really know why those stupid plastic domes are on the bag? ??? the only thing they do for me it make it a bit.. err pain.. to strap the bag to the bed when the covers are stored...

It took me about an hour to buy the stuff. Home Depot did all the cutting. About an hour to drill the holes. And about half an hour to paint.

Planning and testing took a few days though.

It shouldnt take you more than half a day to get it done.

thanks, appreciate it.............probably going to try and do it either this week or wait til the weekend when i am off for the weekend...................lee

bikerchic1977 said:
not to get off topic, but does anyone really know why those stupid plastic domes are on the bag? ??? the only thing they do for me it make it a bit.. err pain.. ?to strap the bag to the bed when the covers are stored...

They allow the bagged covers to be strapped down more securely to the bulkhead by changing the angle of the hold down straps.

aaahhh! i see.. hmm.. since they prevent me from connecting the bottom tiedown on both sides.. :6: i think they may have to go anyway.. now what'd i do with my rotozip? >:D

:B: :B:

chevroletavalanche,

BRAVO!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I need......what a brilliant mod! ;D

The only change I would make is to the handle......instead of bolting one to it I would cut an opening just a bit bigger than the size of my hand so nothing would be sticking up to allow loads to enter flat and without interference........plus that would also bring down the cost - always a plus.

Thanks for sharing!

Jake

This is a great idea. I think I need to start planning a padded version that can be slept on without the need for an air mattress.

what about attaching the handles to the underside of the plywood? you can avoid any worries about the wood splintering on the end and still have a flat surface when taking things off the bedslide.. (y)

Great Job, Have been trying to figure out away to do this, but kept worrying about the bed slide movement if not bolted down and locked.
Does it bump the tailgate when you take off hard or hit the front when stopping quickly?
Will be looking into parts list and printing out. Friend at work was trying to help me figure out something to get this done...........Good description also.............
(y) (y) (y)

Back