• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

NHTSA- ROLLOVER TEST RESULTS FOR AV & EXT!

Well, we won in one category...
we were the heaviest!

Just be sure when you're getting ready to roll, that you're next to an Lincoln Town Car.

What does all that crap mean if they do not tell what numbers mean.......

I've always been confused about this, even debated this topic with friends.

How is the Avalanche considered an SUV? How does it differ in category from from the Silverado or Sierra P/U's?

As a class, SUVs have a higher center of gravity and will always rate poorly in the rollover test. ?A passenger car sits lower and will usually get the better score.

On the other hand, take a 6000 lb 1500 AV or a 7000 lb 2500 AV and let it get hit by a 4000 lb Town Car... you can almost predict the results...

Wear your seat belts, keep the speed down and just enjoy the ride.

In California, the AV gets truck plates and is classified as a truck. The 2500 gets commercial/truck plates because it is over 3 tons. It is interesting to note that in some residential areas/streets prohibit vehicles over 3 tons thus making a 2500 illegal. The only other SUV to break that limit is the Excursion... it is about 2-300 lbs heavier than a 2500 AV.

Not sure of the big difference between the Av and the Suburban other that the bed area on the Av.

At least we know where we rate, the Beamer crew, especially the convertible, do not know if they will make it in a rollover ;)

I think that categorizing the Avalanche as an SUV is very wrong...when I bought mine, I had to get truck plates....where as everyone i know with an escalade to a tahoe to a yukon all have passenger plates ala insurance company insures them as a station wagon...not a truck....

Oh well, I love the truck plates because in San Francisco you can't find a place to park your beemer but they have yellow loading zones all over the place...with a truck plate, i get free reign over those loading zones...

Go figure...

pedr0 said:
They show they tested a 4x4 with a curb weight of 5881. Is that the 2500?

The standard 1500 is a bit heavier than the Suburban, that is due to extra metal to reinforce the big "hole" in back. The AV is actually stiffer than the Sub even though they share most frame and drivetrain components. The 2500 will weigh in around 7000 lbs. One of the guys on the board drove his over a truck scale and verified that weight.

smigdiggler said:
Oh well, I love the truck plates because in San Francisco you can't find a place to park your beemer but they have yellow loading zones all over the place...with a truck plate, i get free reign over those loading zones...

Go figure...

The loading "yellow line" is good for only 30 minutes. It can be unattended while "parked". I should know, I got a $30 ticket because I parked there for 45 minutes.

Hes anybody had a roll over in there av, surly with off roading this would even be more of a hazardous condition

Ya Know, I've driven pickups and SUV's (an International ScoutII before they where called SUV's) exclusively for the last 25 years. ?I have never even come close to getting one up on two tires, much less rolling it over. ?If the people who are buying these vehicles wouldn't treat them as if they BMW's they wouldn't have to worry about this kind of testing. :7: :7: :7:

That rollover rating is total b/s.
It's based on grade school physics, and 'statics' not even 'dynamics' at that. No consideration of even basic engineering and suspension mechanics, no relationship to the real world!
Well I guess if I was worried about someone gradually tilting the car park until my vehicle fell over, I'd be real worried about my Avalanche :rolleyes:

This "test" cracks me up. I race a BMW M3 so I'm pretty finicky about how my vehicles handle. I am pleasantly surprised at how well the AV handles in stock Z71 trim. The problem with SUVs rolling over is that people aren't smooth drivers. They jerk the wheel in a panic situation. I can get my race car to roll if I wanted to and it only has 3.5" of ground clearance. We just need to teach people how to drive ;-)

Marco

Yes good point Marco. I used to race open-wheel cars and it is funny when I get a ricer behind me on an off-ramp how he tends to drift way back behind me. Find the line and make a smooth turn - works in the AV too ;)

I've had the Av in a couple emergency avoidance maneuvers. At no time did I feel like I was going to lose control, either tipping over or losing the back end.

Look at it this way: What's the chances of rolling over an Av versus being in a small car and getting crushed by a big vehicle? I would think the latter is at least 10 times as likely.

02Avalanche said:
None of the listed utes should be proud of those resualts. ?But then again it is a truck duh :rolleyes:
These are not 'test results'!
They are calculations of how soon they would fall over if they were die cast models with no suspension and you lifted up one side of the plank you had them on! :eek:
Results! :rolleyes:

I had my Av dang near sideways about a week ago when a Honda loaded with about 5 teenage girls blew a stop sign right in front of me.

I laid on the brakes and turned hard to one side. Missed them by inches. Never felt like it was out of control or about to go over, even though the tires were screaming (as were the girls in the Honda ;D)

For a vehicle that weighed over 6000 pounds at the time and with the complaining I've seen about braking, I was pretty impressed. At least I was impressed once I took a deep breath and changed my underwear.

I don't fear rollovers at all in the Av. I've always driven trucks and this one handles better than any other truck I've ever owned.

Didn't any one tell you guys, the NHTSA personnel all drive Japanese Rice machines ;)

Of course their data is going to be skewed :p

My '03 in stock Z-71 dress handles easily as well as my '86 Fiero S/E that's been lowered 2" and has all aftermarket suspension components and poly bushings. Believe me when I tell you I was just a bit annoyed that I had to go back to work on the Fiero to make it outhandle the Av....

SJP-=

Back