Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/21/14 07:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wiper arm problem - slipping  (Read 1826 times)
0luke1

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 01/15/06 04:40 PM »

After having my windshield replaced and my hood replaced in the same week**, the passenger side windshield wiper is slipping on the post. I pried off the cap and tightened the nut - it worked for a while, but then quit.

Since I'm not sure which shop did the damage, I'd prefer to fix it myself as it will take less time than arguing.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.

Luke

** for those who love the details: The hood was damaged by a falling tree limb (while parked) and the windshield had a highway stone chip which immediately migrated into a crack.
easy05

Bad spellers of the world ewnite!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/15/06 09:06 PM »

I would bet on the windshield place, don't know why the hood place would have to mess with wipers. You may not want to mess with it cause if it turns out that it is the shaft that has been stripped then you may end up having to shell out some $$$$ for a replacement. I would take it to them and see what they say at least.

'05 Av, chrome package, AVS ventvisors and bug shield, Putco Shadow billet grill. K&N drop in filter, Kenwood kfc-1789 speakers, Alpine MRV-F345 amp, Maglite mod, tow hook covers, GMC door moldings, Streamline Designs decals, Stainless fender trim, CK-807 rims with 20 inch tires, front window tint, and much more to come.
sennister

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/15/06 09:57 PM »

One thing that you can try is what I just found out yesterday. I was talking with my father and mentioned that the chuck on my drill press kept breaking loose and I was having a hard time keeping it on. What he said was to take the cuck off and put a little spit on the shaft. The acid in your saliva will cause it to rust a little very quickly. This may be just enough to hold it in place. I replaced my wiper arm on my passenger side and never have had a problem with it slipping. It was very hard to take the original off as it was stuck on the shaft.

I doubt there is any actual damage on your truck though. The hood work wouldn't require removing the wiper arms but the windshield would for sure as we can't flip up and lock our arms off the windshield. The shaft is smooth and the hole in the wiper arm looks like it is splined but this is normal so it's not like they stripped anything in the process of removing the arms.

I hope this helps and let us know either way.

03 Z71 Avalanche cladded, every option but on*, XM, RSE (DVD) and Side Airbags.
Mods: Cubby Cam Tailgate Cam, 130 AMP Alternator, Amber DRL, Full Time DRL, 4 on High, K&N Air Filter, Flowmaster S40, Power Tailgate Lock, Key Fob Mod, Parking Brake Mod, Headrest Mod, Mag Light Mod, Removed factory cross bars on roof rack, Thule 450 Crossroads & 58" crossbars

99 Audi A4
97 Chevrolet Blazer
93 Honda ST1100
Alaska_AV.
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/15/06 10:26 PM »

wiper nut is loose, that's all. windshield glass guys didn't  tighten it enough

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
sennister

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/15/06 10:28 PM »

wiper nut is loose, that's all. windshield glass guys didn't  tighten it enough

He said he tightned it though and it was fine for a while and then broke free again. I agree that it was caused by the windshield guys.

03 Z71 Avalanche cladded, every option but on*, XM, RSE (DVD) and Side Airbags.
Mods: Cubby Cam Tailgate Cam, 130 AMP Alternator, Amber DRL, Full Time DRL, 4 on High, K&N Air Filter, Flowmaster S40, Power Tailgate Lock, Key Fob Mod, Parking Brake Mod, Headrest Mod, Mag Light Mod, Removed factory cross bars on roof rack, Thule 450 Crossroads & 58" crossbars

99 Audi A4
97 Chevrolet Blazer
93 Honda ST1100
Alaska_AV.
CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator

living the cold life

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/15/06 10:32 PM »

locktight

First you'll lose your mind
and then any free cash laying around
Then mods will bloat your credit limits
You'll be like a crack addict, refinancing your home..
You'll cry yourself to sleep,stuff like, must get new rims.
Important questions like, polished or chrome. will shadow you daily

I'm Jon, and my Wife is an Avalanche widow..
Nationals 2007 and 2008 good times

http://alaskaav.mybru
0luke1

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/16/06 04:20 PM »

Here's the resolution: I took off both bolts and saw that there had been blue locktight on them. I cleaned everything up and applied new blue locktight and used a socket to tighten them down.

Worked like a charm.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: