Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
11/26/14 10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Replace Side mirror  (Read 8585 times)
bubtrauma

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 01/17/06 08:59 AM »

I have a 02 av and need to replace side mirror because the defrost does not work. How do I get it out without damageing the electronic motor for mirror adjustment.

Thanx Bub

2009 LS AV
2009 Harley Davidson Electriglide Classic
SabreXray
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 01/17/06 09:33 AM »

You tilt the mirror all the way down with the power control.  Then you insert a screwdrive in to the gap and gently apply presure to between the ring and the mirror.  The idea is to get the tabs that hold the ring to let go. 

The mirror is very fragile.  Mine broke easy.

JP

BTW, once you know what you are doing it is easy.  The first time was tough though.

2005 Sport Red Metallic Avalanche Z71
bubtrauma

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01/17/06 01:25 PM »

Thanx I will be careful......any tips on putting it in.  Roll Eyes

2009 LS AV
PUNISHER

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01/17/06 05:28 PM »

You tilt the mirror all the way down with the power control.  Then you insert a screwdrive in to the gap and gently apply presure to between the ring and the mirror.  The idea is to get the tabs that hold the ring to let go. 

The mirror is very fragile.  Mine broke easy.

JP

BTW, once you know what you are doing it is easy.  The first time was tough though.

you sure you should giving instructions?   don't forget to remove the sail panel that covers the mirror mounting screws and wiring harness at the leading edge of the door.

AVALANCHE PICS
-traded 02 Z-66 for an 04 DBM Z-71
-traded 04 DBM Z-71 for a Lexus IS250
GTG's-DE, VA, TX, GA, MD, SC
BLUEavyZ71

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 01/17/06 07:41 PM »

Passenger side mirror defrost inoperative?  Possibly due to corrosive heating wiring tip that plugs into the mirror.  Use a long thin flathead screwdriver with the mirror tilted up all the way.  Gently pop off the ring behind the mirror going around at a time and separate.  The mirror breaks easily and I've broke one doing that.  Unplug the wiring connector from the mirror glass and inspect for corrosion and sand the connector in and out until you see shiny bare metal.  Dont forget to sand the heater prongs in the back of the mirror glass before reconnecting.  Then dab some of electrical corrosion protective grease.  Worked out pretty good for me.

'02 Indigo Blue Z71, amber drl's, sports leather, Eclipse AVN 5435, nightvision tailgate back up camera, Escalade HVAC turnknobs, turn signal mirrors mods,  SSBC rotors/Hawk stoppers.  Water leaks fixed!  EXT powerbar & sails.  Cladding fusioned!
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 01/17/06 11:30 PM »

you sure you should giving instructions? don't forget to remove the sail panel that covers the mirror mounting screws and wiring harness at the leading edge of the door.

What? The only thing holding the mirror (not the mirror assembly) on is some plastic tabs on a plastic ring directly under the shinny flat part of the mirror that you can see.

My signal mirror has the LEDs on the backside that have 2 wires that plug into a harness.  There are also the defrost wires and on the drivers side is the auto dimming wires.

JP

SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 01/17/06 11:37 PM »

Thanx I will be careful......any tips on putting it in. Roll Eyes

On is easy.  Plug in all the wires, put mirror in center of ring, gently push back on.

JP

SamHouseIII
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

mmm!! mmm!! Good!!

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01/18/06 05:36 AM »

SabreXray,

Great advise on the disassembly and assembly.  Cool! We should both know from experience.  banghead

Sam

Commitment, Integrity, Results!!

Don't knock road kill till you try it!!

bubtrauma

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 01/18/06 07:50 AM »

Passenger side mirror defrost inoperative?  Possibly due to corrosive heating wiring tip that plugs into the mirror.  Use a long thin flathead screwdriver with the mirror tilted up all the way.  Gently pop off the ring behind the mirror going around at a time and separate.  The mirror breaks easily and I've broke one doing that.  Unplug the wiring connector from the mirror glass and inspect for corrosion and sand the connector in and out until you see shiny bare metal.  Dont forget to sand the heater prongs in the back of the mirror glass before reconnecting.  Then dab some of electrical corrosion protective grease.  Worked out pretty good for me.

OK I got it but I don't fallow the going around thing.

2009 LS AV
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 01/18/06 08:19 AM »

Not sure either.  Once you get one of the retaining tabs to let go, the mirror is off.

SamHouseIII

mmm!! mmm!! Good!!

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01/18/06 09:08 AM »

Here you go.

Sam

SamHouseIII

mmm!! mmm!! Good!!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 01/18/06 09:12 AM »

How to install.

Please be careful when removing it though, It is glass.

Sam

bubtrauma

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01/18/06 09:34 AM »

At a boy Sam I love pictures Woohoo!

Thanx
bub

2009 LS AV
AvalancheClint

1000+HP Twin Turbo 4.3LV6 for '91 Syclone

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 01/18/06 01:49 PM »

This maybe a stupid question, but can you replace just the glass portion of the autodimming/defrosting mirror?

If so does anyone happen to have a part number?
BLUEavyZ71

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 01/18/06 03:24 PM »

All right, when you pry the ring tab with a screwdriver, there are consecutive tabs around the ring that you should do at a time to release the mirror glass from the ring.  Just take your time doing that with a deeep breath.   Cool!

'02 Indigo Blue Z71, amber drl's, sports leather, Eclipse AVN 5435, nightvision tailgate back up camera, Escalade HVAC turnknobs, turn signal mirrors mods,  SSBC rotors/Hawk stoppers.  Water leaks fixed!  EXT powerbar & sails.  Cladding fusioned!
msdinsp
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

I Love My Avalanche & the USA

Awards
« Reply #15 on: 01/18/06 06:20 PM »

This maybe a stupid question, but can you replace just the glass portion of the autodimming/defrosting mirror?

If so does anyone happen to have a part number?

in short yes, but the glass, with autodim and defrost is just one piece, I think you mean without replacing the plastic housing, yes that is possible. Sorry I don't have part number.

'07, LT3, just started modding, rear window glasscape, bedslide, Line of Fire, Westin Bullbar, Bugshield, window vent visors, hard wired radar detector, 100 Watt driving lights, black rubber floor mats, LTZ console, molded splash guards. Debadged, then rebadged with patriotic decals(bowtie, Chevrolet on tailgate, Avalanche on doors). Train Horns! 2.5" leveling kit & 3"body lift
More to come for sure!
AvalancheClint

1000+HP Twin Turbo 4.3LV6 for '91 Syclone

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 01/19/06 09:08 AM »

Sorry I wasn't a little more clear on my previous post.

Yes I just want to replace the mirror, without replacing the housing.

Well I guess I will have to bit the bullet and go to the dealer banghead and get the part.
SabreXray

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 01/20/06 02:10 AM »

Sorry don't know the part# for a plain mirror.  I know the part# for the signal mirror (the with the LEDs).

JP

AV4BOXERS

Farewell VerA, you were good to us.

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 01/22/06 07:21 PM »

Not that this thread wasn't helpful but now that I've successfully removed a mirror if my insights benefit anyone else then it was worth replying.

There are 12 of the retaining clips referred to above and they hold onto the adjuster mechanism as you would a fingertip fastball.  A flathead screwdriver is the most common tool that you could use but it didn't work for me.  I had to use a curved tip tool specifically used for opening paint cans (ACE Hardware).  Once 3 or 4 in a row of the retaining clips have been released you can pry the mirror apart the rest of the way with your hands.  It's still a pain in the *** but it was somewhat easier with the cuved tipped tool I used.

Good luck.

Regrettably, VerA (the AV) is gone but she remains in our hearts.
Flint4x4
CAFCNA 2014 Premium Member

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 10/16/06 03:10 PM »

I have a 02 av and need to replace side mirror because the defrost does not work. How do I get it out without damageing the electronic motor for mirror adjustment.

Take it to the dealer. Seriously, that is what I did today before my warranty runs out, my passenger side mirror defrost never worked. I took it in and they didn't have the part, ordered it and they used it another truck, finally ordered it again and made an appointment, mirror defrosts worked for 3 years on my '02 AV no problem.

Seemed there was some valid info here for others not under warranty and it's getting cold again.

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."  - Bertrand Russell
woodchuck

2003 Avalanche Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #20 on: 04/04/09 09:02 AM »

Hi,

I got to close to the wood pile over two years ago and clipped the drivers mirror... I know...way too long. I did get an estimate to fix it at the dealer... six months ago... and they wanted $400 to replace the entire housing. Ummm.... no, I'd rather live with a wobbly mirror housing. Thanks for the tips on how to remove the mirror. I didn't know what I was in for, or what was wrong.  Now I see a retainer clip that is suppose to keep in place a very strong spring. So my question is, does anybody have a trick to get this retainer back in place?

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.WoodchuckCanuck.com
woodchuck

2003 Avalanche Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04/04/09 09:52 AM »

Problem solved!! I took a video clip and a couple more pics. I'll post them later this evening.

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
woodchuck

2003 Avalanche Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #22 on: 04/04/09 11:46 AM »

Here's a pic of the back of the mirror and a pic of the mirror housing removed, making it easier to get at that spring. I used a set of vise grips to press down on the retainer clip. I had to put all my 175 lbs Smiley  to bear down on the clip to compress the spring enough to grip the post. Then for good measure I kept the grips in place and gave it a couple of whacks with a plumber's wrench. Smiley ... didn't have a hammer handy. Smiley  A note to those who may attempt this, don't press down on that spring too much or you'll never be able to move the mirror again. I pressed too much and when I went to move the mirror... after I had it all back together...including putting the mirror back on... the spring was under so much pressure it popped off the retainer clip. Had to start all over again.  banghead  Eventually I flattened out the tabs on the retainer so that it would have extra bite on the post when it was in position.

By the way, I did make a short video clip, about 5MB. What the best way to  post it here? Assuming it can't be uploaded, can I post a link to it if I upload the image somewhere else?

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
SamHouseIII

mmm!! mmm!! Good!!

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 04/04/09 09:27 PM »

Woodchuck

Thumbs up! Thumbs up!

woodchuck

2003 Avalanche Z71

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: 04/05/09 05:11 AM »

I've got two short video clips that I keep trying to add to the album section but it just won't work. They are each sized 3.8MB, well under the limit.  Help me!

Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: