Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many 02 First Owners Are Left  (Read 236092 times)

Durwin

• Charter Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche!
Re: How Many 02 First Owners Are Left
« Reply #900 on: 05/04/17 03:55 PM »

Still here. Purchased on 2 May 2002 from Family Chevrolet in Shingle Springs California. I remember about a month after I bought it and had signed the papers, they called and said that I owed them additional money since they calculated the fees incorrectly.

I remember laughing about that. I never did call them back. I never heard from them again. They went out a business a few years later. I can't help but feel somehow responsible.  :laugh:

Oh well.

About 231,000 or so.

Durwin
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California

DeFens

• 2002 1500 Sunset Orange
« Reply #901 on: 07/24/17 10:10 PM »

Still have mine, purchased new in August 2001 in Bellevue, WA. It has about 160K miles on it, and I've just started towing a travel trailer with it. One transmission repair at about 80K, and that's it for major stuff. I do need to find and fix one or more cab leaks though.
"To tell you the truth, this isn't really a brains kind of outfit." Benicio del Toro - Way of the Gun

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #902 on: 07/25/17 07:44 AM »

Wow DeFens you have been a member since 2004 and this is your first post. :thumbsup:

Glad to see how well the AV is holding up.

2003 2500

FunkyD

• Owner of Clifford, the Big Red Truck (2002 Z66)!
« Reply #903 on: 08/18/17 04:09 PM »

It's been a long while since I've posted, but I bought Clifford new on 1-16-02 and still have him.  162k miles and still rollin'!

This is the list of major items I have fixed up to this point:
- 2 windshield replacements
- Alternator
- A/C compressor
- 2 ABS controllers
- 1 Airbag module corroded due to water leak
- Rear axle bearings
- 3 sets of tires
- 2 transmission flushes and fills
- Anti-knock sensors
- Water pump

Other than that, the drivetrain is still 100% factory (and still on original muffler and exhaust!).  The LM7 engine, which has had Mobil 1 since the factory oil was drained out, still purrs like a kitten.  I'm still on the original fuel pump (knock on wood).
2017 Funky D: iMac, therefore, I am!

RonFore

« Reply #904 on: 08/28/17 05:36 PM »

I have had my 02 since new.  It has approx. 170k on it and over half of those have been pulling a 6000 lb work trailer all over the Southeast.  I am considering repainting and coating the cladding.  Just installed 20 inch Silverado wheels and Mich. tires.  It has been overall the best vehicle I have owned in 50 years of driving. :B:

scottnj1966

• My second Avalanche!!!
    • Big Florida Country
« Reply #905 on: 11/13/17 05:19 AM »

I bought my 2002 in 2004, it has 195,000 miles on it now. Love my Avalanche but I am eyeing a 2013 now.
I now have a 2013 Chevy Black Diamond Edition Avalanche LT Z71 4x4 in Black - Mods - 9704 Kenwood using a maestro rr adding OEM functions on screen, Tailgate Assist, Spyder Headlights, Cabin Air Filter, Rebuilt and Sealed Third Brake Light.

My prior 2002 Chevy Avalanche Pewter Z71 4X4 Daytime Running Light Mod, Power Tailgate Mod, Cargo Light Switch Mod, Torsion Key Mod, sail windows, brake light mod, double din stereo mod - http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/avalanche.htm

rmheiser

« Reply #906 on: 11/19/17 08:28 AM »

Still have my z71  Wish they would make them again  This machine is awesome

m3driver

« Reply #907 on: 12/04/17 12:20 PM »

It's been a long while since I've posted, but I bought Clifford new on 1-16-02 and still have him.  162k miles and still rollin'!

This is the list of major items I have fixed up to this point:
- 2 windshield replacements
- Alternator
- A/C compressor
- 2 ABS controllers
- 1 Airbag module corroded due to water leak
- Rear axle bearings
- 3 sets of tires
- 2 transmission flushes and fills
- Anti-knock sensors
- Water pump

Other than that, the drivetrain is still 100% factory (and still on original muffler and exhaust!).  The LM7 engine, which has had Mobil 1 since the factory oil was drained out, still purrs like a kitten.  I'm still on the original fuel pump (knock on wood).

What were the symptoms of the rear axle bearings needing to be replaced?  Reason I ask is going around turns I hear a noise from the rear end like a muffled scraping noise that isn't present when driving straight.  I just did an entire refresh of all the front steering components and omg I can't believe how much better the truck drives now. 
guess 180K does wear stuff out!

You better replace the fuel pump!   Mine died 40 miles out side of Grand Junction CO just about 45 minutes after I had gotten off a mountain back road where you see about 10 cars a day and no cell coverage....

Bought mine in June of 01

Marco 

JJL/RML

• We both love our Avalanche!
« Reply #908 on: 01/06/18 08:13 PM »

Still have my 02 Avalanche Z71 that I bought new in July 2001. It has over 224,000 miles on it and runs well. I do have to take care of a minor oil pan gasket leak. Even with this leak it still gets 2000 miles on a quart of oil. I saw items on google that a new generation AV is coming in 2018. Would be nice as this was one of the best and most versatile vehicles we ever owned. Hate to get rid of it.

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #909 on: 01/07/18 08:27 AM »

Wow JJL/RML you have been a member since 2004 and only 8 posts? (must be the strong silent type.. :D )
Personally I would't hold my breath for a new Avalanche. Most of the stuff on Google has been discussed in old threads on this site from photos of a SEMA concept AV from about 10 or so years ago passed around as new or the 2018 Chevy Silverado "High Desert" model pickup that has sail panels and hard bed covers with side storage bins....No midgate though. Check the threads for photos.
Good going on keeping your AV on the road!
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

XTheBEAST42

• I'm diggin my Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #910 on: 01/22/18 09:16 AM »

I just got a steal for my avy in which I bought from the original owner, he got it in October 2001 (160k miles)
2002 Z-71 Pewter Metallic, Remote control starter, Tinted windows, K&N air filter

dummyme

« Reply #911 on: 02/26/18 06:53 PM »

We bought ours in Dec  2001.  2002  1500 NFE shy of 300,000 miles. Had some TLC and needs some TLC.  Today my 4w drive went out in 8" of snow, of course got stuck trying to go around a car that spun out in the middle of the road.  Besides little hickups and aggravations I LOVE that truck.  I am in the Sierra Foothills in El Dorado County, California. 

HaloFive

« Reply #912 on: 03/20/18 11:48 AM »

Owner of a 1500 Z71 since April 2002 and coming up on 220k miles.

Interior is in decent shape considering it is about 16 years old. SIXTEEN! I haven't had a chance this winter to detail the interior and the seats are a bit worn. But everyone else is shocked to hear the truck is 14, 15, and now 16 years old.  I treat the cladding so it looks brand new.

Some maintenance history ...
- Transmission replaced at ~130k miles
- Rear anti-roll bar replaced (rusted and cracked)
- Fuel pump has been replaced somewhere in the 100-200k mile range.
- New plugs and wires (did that myself)
- New rear bumper 2 years ago thanks to a distracted driver (no body damage to the beast tho!)
- New driver-side headlamp because the reflector inside fell off its mount and state inspector wouldn't let it pass.

Unfortunately, it looks like the engine is in decline. It is leaking both oil and coolant (water pump) and I am seeing coolant in the oil. So it may be the known cylinder head leak issue or something else since oil appears to be leaking from a location back where the transmission meets the block. The shop said they'd possibly have to drop the transmission to get at that leak.

For the past 10-20k miles, I have been also getting the ABS/Brake light combo. Which means the Kelsey-Hayes module needs to be replaced (I don't have time to take it apart and do all that cleaning).

At the worse case:
$2500 (Online) - $3300 (Amazon -> PRIME Eligible!) for a new engine
$1000? (guessing) for labor to replace/tune new engine
$350-$500 (guessing) for water pump replacement although that labor would be done part of the engine swap
$650 - $750 (guessing) to replace the Kelsey-Hayes ABS module

That's a lot of money to put into it. Way more than what KBB says it is worth. It's state stickered until end of November. I was hoping to get it to 25 years so I can slap an "Antique" plate on it.  :-)

Decisions ...

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #913 on: 03/23/18 12:41 PM »

Owner of a 1500 Z71 since April 2002 and coming up on 220k miles.

Interior is in decent shape considering it is about 16 years old. SIXTEEN! I haven't had a chance this winter to detail the interior and the seats are a bit worn. But everyone else is shocked to hear the truck is 14, 15, and now 16 years old.  I treat the cladding so it looks brand new.

Some maintenance history ...
- Transmission replaced at ~130k miles
- Rear anti-roll bar replaced (rusted and cracked)
- Fuel pump has been replaced somewhere in the 100-200k mile range.
- New plugs and wires (did that myself)
- New rear bumper 2 years ago thanks to a distracted driver (no body damage to the beast tho!)
- New driver-side headlamp because the reflector inside fell off its mount and state inspector wouldn't let it pass.

Unfortunately, it looks like the engine is in decline. It is leaking both oil and coolant (water pump) and I am seeing coolant in the oil. So it may be the known cylinder head leak issue or something else since oil appears to be leaking from a location back where the transmission meets the block. The shop said they'd possibly have to drop the transmission to get at that leak.

For the past 10-20k miles, I have been also getting the ABS/Brake light combo. Which means the Kelsey-Hayes module needs to be replaced (I don't have time to take it apart and do all that cleaning).

At the worse case:
$2500 (Online) - $3300 (Amazon -> PRIME Eligible!) for a new engine
$1000? (guessing) for labor to replace/tune new engine
$350-$500 (guessing) for water pump replacement although that labor would be done part of the engine swap
$650 - $750 (guessing) to replace the Kelsey-Hayes ABS module

That's a lot of money to put into it. Way more than what KBB says it is worth. It's state stickered until end of November. I was hoping to get it to 25 years so I can slap an "Antique" plate on it.  :-)

Decisions ...
First  :welcome: to the club.  Second, even though those repairs may be as much as KBB, you know it's history and if it's in generally good shape otherwise it could be worth putting the money into.  That's still a lot less than a new vehicle and if you replace it with a used vehicle you're never really sure what you'll be getting.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

peterg

« Reply #914 on: 04/15/18 07:13 AM »

Still here! Purchased off the floor when I was servicing my 94 K-5 diesel blazer with 260K miles (had 4 sale sign in window) Sales guy was smart told me he give me 10K for my truck (we both knew it wasn't worth that) and I drove home in my 02 Z71 Red 1500 Avalanche and I just turned 350K miles. Yes had normal stuff happen with miles but it's a great truck. Just put in a "new" engine and hope to get another 350K out of it.
2002 Z71 327K miles (and counting) GREAT TRUCK!

JJL/RML

• We both love our Avalanche!
« Reply #915 on: 05/08/18 06:59 PM »

Bought my AV Z28 in July 2001, still have it at 227,000 plus miles. Does not burn oil as I change it religiously ever 4 to 5K. Did have to re gasket the oil pan and at the same time rear main bearing seal. Hope to go another 200,000.  AC still operates. Keeping my fingers crossed as CA temps reach 100 plus. Use it for fishing and Geocaching. We call it the Cachalanche. Looks almost brand new. Waxed only one time. Treat the cladding a few time a year with product from Les Schwab Tires. 

Durwin

• Charter Member
« Reply #916 on: 05/23/18 03:02 PM »

I'm still here.

My Avalanche has been a weekend vehicle for years now. It just sits. I actually need to get it going again. There is a leak from the radiator or lower hose I need to look at.
Durwin
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California

paulm

« Reply #917 on: 05/31/18 08:01 PM »

I  have my original  2002  pewter 1500 avalanche 170K. I passed it from one son to another to another. I have done all the maintenance and repairs.It is now back with me. It has some rust over the rear wheels. that I hope to fix on my own soon. Paul
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 24 queries.