• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Solar Flares

2003 gmc denali

My Satellite TV  reception has problems about twice a year with Solar Flares.

Has anybody on this site experienced a problem with their XM that was attributed to Solar Flares?

I do not know how I would know?

Heck XM is always on in my truck unless I am in tunnel...or certain spots that for some reasons it drops out for 1 second....like inside thick trees...or under overpasses for extended periods...

When you have trouble with your TV dish, the solar outages are caused by the sun passing exactly behind the geosynchronous satellite you are watching. It's not solar flares. The electromagnetic noise from the sun overpowers the transmission from the satellite in the LNB on your dish.

In the US this happens for a week or so in March and October, and, if you are using a big dish,  the interference appears to move east to west, from satellite to satellite, as the sun moves across the sky.

I dunno if solar outages apply to XM or Sirius. I doubt it, and I couldn't find any relevant Google hits on it.

Hmm....a week or so..March and October??

I've had Direct TV for a few years now and have not experienced that....

The only time mine goes out is during heavy thunderstorms...when it goes out it's usually time to shut it off anyway until the lightning passes...szo I dont really mind

Yeah. I coulda been clearer...

Solar outages happen for a few minutes per day per satellite for about 1 week in March, and 1 week in October each year, during the day.

If you aren't home during the day watching at exactly the right time, you'll never know it it happened. If you are, it's over pretty quick.

From www.dbsinstall.com:

Solar Outage:
Solar outages occur when an satellite dish is looking at a satellite, and the sun passes behind the satellite and within the field of view of the dish antenna. Solar outages can be exactly predicted as to the timing for each site. The outage occurs during the spring and fall as the sun moves up down the sky during the equinox. The outages only last a few minutes for a few days a year.

It's not due to a solar flare, however a flare at the time could make it more intense.

It affects the sat downlinks, just as carndt said. I remember February and October, and sure enough, you will get it. Usually 15 minutes in the (somewhat) late morning West coast (DirecTV), and early afternoon for Dish. That would change with daylight savings time and location a bit, so take it as a general idea. Or to be more exact, look it up HERE.

That's your direct downlink. Remember that the uplink centers (uplinks are not affected) receive many of their services by C-Band and other satellite bands. Since these services are downlinks too, they are just as vulnerable and it can occur at a different time on different channels, depending on what satellite they receive the signal and of course if the sun is behind that one..

If DirecTV's particular programming source is the same as Dish's, an outage affecting their programming receiver (not yours) wouldn't be at the same instance as Dish's. DirecTV's uplink center is primarily in El Segundo CA and Dish's is in Cheyenne WY. (There are other uplink centers elsewhere too).

If you suspect an outage, look where your dish points (horizontally, it's offset vertically). Is the sun there? (Don't stare at it!) :2:

--------

XM could however the vehicle's antenna's gain is much less than a fixed-station parabolic (dish). As well, XM's satellite's transponders are much higher powered than their TV counterparts. The reason for that is so one doesn't need a mobile tracking system to receive it. So there is a higher level of signal than the solar noise, by comparison.

Sirius' sat's do figure-8's over your head, so if one happened to orient itself between you and the sun, the outage would only be brief, if at all. Sirius is at a much lower orbit than XM or the TV sat's are.

HTH! :)

yeah, what they said...solar flares happen, on average, about every 11 years or so.

My factory installed xm in one car is terrible, drops everywhere, even with wide open sky's.  On the other hand in the AV I changed to Sirius (for the content I wanted, but was lacking from xm) and have very very few drop outs.  For example today going across the GWB and then down the West Side Highway the xm was dropping out more than it was clear.  Solar flares NOT.

2003 gmc denali said:
My Satellite TV? reception has problems about twice a year with Solar Flares.

Has anybody on this site experienced a problem with their XM that was attributed to Solar Flares?

Back