• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

O2 senors setting off check engine lite!!!

sgchap3

Anyone else ever have any problems after having a aftermarket exhaust and/or headers installed. I've had two different O2 senors go off in the last month after having my exhaust and headers changed to Corsa and Dynatech.
I also have it on the dyno and costum tuned.
The guys are really good and I stand behind thier work. Is it possible that hurt the O2's while they were tuning it and is it just in need of new ones or is this something that will keep happening???
The only good thing is the dealer has no questions and replaces the O2 senors whatout any questions asked but its getting to be a pain and there are like 8 senors in the system. Does that mean 6 more trips to the dealer?!?  ???

Any input please, thanks 

You have 4 O2 sensors. 2 on each side. 1 ahead of and one after the catalytic converters.? The 1st one is used by the pcm in controlling the air/fuel mixture.? The rear one monitors performance of the converters.? So it depends on exactly which O2 DTC is being triggered.?

Sounds like more than coincidence.? With the work that was done, there is the possibility of damage to the sensor wiring if it was left in contact with a header or screwed in/out while still plugged in for example .?

Here is some info as to what's going on. O2 sensor operation starts about 1/3'rd down the article.

Thanks I was thinking the same thing. I haven't had it to the dealer yet cause the light just came on yesterday. If its the same one they replaced 3 weeks ago then there is somerthing else wrong like wires or something. If its a different O2 senor then I'm hoping getting it changed will stop this.

Could be other things too (e.g. exhaust leaks, tuning.....)  I would think it would show up again right away though if there was a leak.  All  depends what code is being set. 

I thought of a leak too but the guys who installed the headers checked it again right before I had it on the dyno. How is the best way to check for a leak? Is there a way or machine or smething? I've never done it...

There are smoke machines to test for leaks.  Works best on a cool system.

The leak would have to be at engine or flange ends of the headers to affect the O2s.  Do you smell any exhaust fumes?  Hearing any ticking or hissing sounds?  Find out what code(DTC) is being set when you bring it in again.
Did they change different sensors each time?  Front or rear sensors?

I do hear a small hissing/ ticking sound on the drivers side now that you mention it! I was wondering if that was just the new set up...
I've only had one senor go out so far it was a front one. My light went off on Saturday while I was driving so I called big brother (Onstar) and the said it was a engine/drivetrain exhaust senor going off, no code. I'll find out the code as soon as I can get to the dealer in the next couple of days... 

Heres what my last invoice from dealer said:

Customer states the service engine soon light is on.
Checked for codes, set P0053. P0054. P0059. P0060. P0157 and P2A04.
Cleared all codes and replaced the bank 2 senor 2 oxygen senor

sgchap3 said:
I do hear a small hissing/ ticking sound on the drivers side now that you mention it! I was wondering if that was just the new set up...
I've only had one senor go out so far it was a front one. My light went off on Saturday while I was driving so I called big brother (Onstar) and the said it was a engine/drivetrain exhaust senor going off, no code. I'll find out the code as soon as I can get to the dealer in the next couple of days...?

Based on the DTC codes in my HP Tuners all those codes correspond to the Bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor.
Bank 2 Sensor 2 is after cat passenger side. May be a cat going bad on that side. My setup deleted the cats so my rear O2's have been turned off.......

The codes should be P0153, P0154, P0159, P0160, P0157  They all indicate Insufficient activity, low performance, low voltage. Either bad O2 or cat... IMHO

Ok well that senor was replaced but I'm not sure what the new one is now. I hope to get over to the dealer in the next few days...

I just want to make sure I'm running at the right level and the sound thing now is bothering me...

sgchap3 said:
I've only had one senor go out so far it was a front one. My light went off on Saturday while I was driving so I called big brother (Onstar) and the said it was a engine/drivetrain exhaust senor going off, no code. I'll find out the code as soon as I can get to the dealer in the next couple of days...?

I don't think all of those codes were present as they represent all 4 sensors.? It's just that they are grouped together in the manual.  Sounds like the sensor itself or the wiring to the sensor.

From the service manual:

DTC P0053, P0054, P0059, or P0060
Circuit Description
The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) must reach operating temperature to provide an accurate voltage signal. A heating element inside the HO2S minimizes the time required for the sensor to reach operating temperature. Voltage is provided to the heater by the ignition 1 voltage circuit through a fuse. With the engine running, ground is provided to the heater by the HO2S heater low control circuit, through a low side driver within the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM commands the heater ON or OFF to maintain a specific HO2S operating temperature range. The PCM determines the temperature by measuring the current flow through the heater. When the heater is in the ON state, the PCM will pulse the heater OFF for a duration of 50 ms, once per second. The PCM calculates the heater resistance on a cold start. This diagnostic will only run once per ignition cycle. If the PCM detects that the heater calculated resistance is not within the expected range, the following DTCs will set:

? ??? DTC P0053 for HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 1?

? ??? DTC P0054 for HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2?

? ??? DTC P0059 for HO2S Bank 2 Sensor 1?

? ??? DTC P0060 for HO2S Bank 2 Sensor 2?

DTC Descriptors
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:

? ??? DTC P0053 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 1?

? ??? DTC P0054 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2?

? ??? DTC P0059 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 2 Sensor 1?

? ??? DTC P0060 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 2 Sensor 2?

Conditions for Running the DTC
? ??? DTCs P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0128, P2610 are not set.?

? ??? The ignition is OFF for more than 10 hours.?

? ??? The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor parameter is between -30 and +45?C (-22 and +113?F) at engine start-up.?

? ??? The ECT Sensor parameter minus the IAT Sensor parameter is less than 8?C (14?F) at engine start-up.?

? ??? The engine is started.?

? ??? This diagnostic runs one time per valid cold start once the above conditions are met.?

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM detects that the affected HO2S heater calculated resistance is not within an expected range at engine start-up for 1 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? AND

DTC P2A01 or P2A04
Circuit Description
Heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) are used for fuel control and post catalyst monitoring. Each HO2S compares the oxygen content of the surrounding air with the oxygen content in the exhaust stream. The HO2S must reach operating temperature to provide an accurate voltage signal. Heating elements inside the HO2S minimize the time required for the sensors to reach operating temperature. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies the HO2S with a reference, or bias, voltage of about 450 mV. When the engine is first started the PCM operates in open loop, ignoring the HO2S voltage signal. Once the HO2S reaches operating temperature and closed loop is achieved, the HO2S generates a voltage within a range of 0-1,000 mV that fluctuates above and below bias voltage. High HO2S voltage indicates a rich exhaust stream; low HO2S voltage indicates a lean exhaust stream.

The HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 and HO2S bank 2 sensor 2 are used for catalyst monitoring. This diagnostic runs once per ignition cycle. This diagnostic consists of two tests, a passive test and an intrusive test. During the passive test, if the HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 or HO2S bank 2 sensor 2 voltage transitions less than 349 mV and greater than 710 mV, the DTC will pass for this ignition cycle. If the DTC does not pass during the passive test, the intrusive test will begin. During the intrusive test, the control module will force the air-to-fuel ratio rich and/or lean. The control module then waits for a predicted response from the HO2S. If the HO2S voltage transitions less than 349 mV or greater than 710 mV, the DTC will pass for this ignition cycle. If the control module does not receive the expected response from the HO2S, DTC P2A01 will set for HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 or DTC P2A04 will set for HO2S bank 2 sensor 2.

DTC Descriptors
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:

? ??? DTC P2A01 HO2S Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2?

? ??? DTC P2A04 HO2S Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2?

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0128, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0135, P0137, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0151, P0152, P0153, P0154, P0155, P0157, P0158, P0160, P0161, P0200, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P0455, P0496, P1133, P1134, P1153, P1154 are not set.

Passive Test

? ??? The engine is running.?

? ??? The Engine Run Time parameter is less than 13.5 minutes.?

? ??? The above conditions are met for 2 seconds.?

? ??? This diagnostic runs one time per drive cycle once the above conditions are met.?

Intrusive Test

? ??? The Engine Run Time parameter is more than 13.5 minutes.?

? ??? The Ignition 1 Signal parameter is between 10-18 volts.?

? ??? The Engine Speed parameter is between 900-5,000 RPM.?

? ??? The MAF Sensor parameter is between 5-100 g/s.?

? ??? The Vehicle Speed parameter is between 24-131 km/h (15-82 mph).?

? ??? The Short Term FT Bank 1 and Bank 2 parameter is between -4 and +4 percent.?

? ??? The maximum number of intrusive attempts is less than 100.?

? ??? The above conditions are met for 3 seconds.?

? ??? This diagnostic runs one time per drive cycle once the above conditions are met.?

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The PCM detects that the HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 or HO2S bank 2 sensor 2 did not transition less than 349 mV and greater than 710 mV during the passive test.
One of the following tests fail:
Lean Intrusive Test

? ??? The PCM detects that the HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 or HO2S bank 2 sensor 2 is greater than 349 mV for 60 seconds.?

? ??? The HO2S bank 1 sensor 1 and HO2S bank 2 sensor 1 is less than 300 mV.?

Rich Intrusive Test

? ??? The PCM detects that the HO2S bank 1 sensor 2 or HO2S bank 2 sensor 2 is less than 710 mV for 60 seconds.?

? ??? The HO2S bank 1 sensor 1 and HO2S bank 2 sensor 1 is greater than 600 mV.?

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Wow thats alot of info thanks. I not sure either but thats all it said on my invoice. I guess I'll know more after I get in there again.
Whats really bugging me now is the possible exhaust leak and how to fix it... 

Can you tell me about the banks. How do the go bank 1 left? bank 2 right etc? I'm trying to help figure out whats wrong here. Someone from Dynatech said there might be a wire crossed and thats sets off the codes... Please more details

sgchap3 said:
Can you tell me about the banks. How do the go bank 1 left? bank 2 right etc? I'm trying to help figure out whats wrong here. Someone from Dynatech said there might be a wire crossed and thats sets off the codes... Please more details
Bank1 = driver's side(left)
Were the wires cut?

Attachments

• O2 sensor.JPG
    O2 sensor.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 258
if you put the dynotech hi flow cats in, my bet is they are not operating as efficiently as the stock cats did and if you really trust the guys that dyno tuned your truck, ask them to turn off the rear o2 codes.
Good luck, and post that dyno sheet!

just thinking, if you changed the headers hot exhaust is flowing
faster through system, could the heat range of 02 being exceeded??? some one correct me if on wrong track.

I called Dynatech today and they said they NEVER have codes come back and they pointed me back to the installer and that they may have crossed or pluged the O2's back in wrong.

The codes I'm getting are:

P0053 for O2 bank 1, sensor 1
P0054 for O2 bank 1, sensor 2
P0059 for O2 bank 2, sensor 1
Poo60 for O2 bank 2, sensor 2

Any more thoughts, keep it coming

Don't see how you could get heater codes for all of the sensors unless all of the connectors were cut off and spliced back incorrectly.  The connectors at the underhood fuse block and PCM are 68 and 80 pin connectors so you would have a lot of other issues if one of them came loose.  Did any of the sensor wiring have to be extended for the headers?

Also check the O2A and O2B 15 amp fuses for the sensor heaters (in the underhood fuse block on the left fender).

great advise .... a quick visual check should be able to verify both.

I'm going to check the fuses right now and then on my way to the installer to go over this stuff with him. I'll have more answers later...

Fuses were all fine!

I'm having the wires all checked tomorrow but other then that I'm lost...

I'm thinking now of running O2 simulaters, anyone know where to get them???

Ok guys lastest update. The install went back over everything. Removed the O2's again, cleaned them off, reinstalled and checked all the wires. The didnt find anything out of the ordinary on the system however, they did find that three of my spark plugs were very loose and tighten them back down. They also replaced two of them since they looked very dark and burnt frome being so loose. They also took off the two MSD wires that came with the Dynatech system (for drivers side back 2 plugs, tight fit with new headers) and put back on my 2 Taylors wires with alittle mod. Reset the codes and done.

Hoping this got the problem. I'm thinking/hoping that the loose plugs were the reason the sensors were going off and getting everything back up to speed has made a difference in the performance already. I can see and hear its back up again...

Keep ur fingers crossed cause I'm watching for that damn 'check engine' light to stay off!!! 

sounds like that could fix it for you...great!

:E: IT"S BACK ON! Can't believe it! I took a trip to Philly this weekend and half way down my 'engine' light came on again!!!  :E:
I really give up. I was so happy after finding the loose plugs and I thought for sure that would be it, WRONG! It was over a week of driving and over 200 miles since the codes were reset...
I'm not sure what to do now, but I know it needs to stop or I will be ripping that speedo and light right out of the dashbroad...

Update! I went to the dealer and they pulled the codes again and the codes are down to just two. They are both focused on bank 2 sensor 2 and they now believe there is probably a bad wire!
They have been very helpful and are going to replace it under warranty so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed...

Back