• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

adding xm radio kit

abartstew

Hey all, I was interested in adding the xm radio kit to my Ave.  Is that something I can do on my own or do I need the dealer to do it?  I should have bought the Ave that already had it installed but I didn't.  Has anyone added this to theirs?  The reason I want the kit is because I do not want to run wires inside and out of the vehicle.  Thanks

I suppose it matters which radio you have. It also depends on which XM radio you buy. You can get the Roady 2 which has an FM transmitter built in. All you have to do is tune it to the correct radio frequency per the directions. You can also hardwire it via the AUX connection on the back of the factory radio. The FM transmitter works really well unless you live in an urban area with a lot of radio stations. You can pick up a lot of interference. You'll need a fairly quiet spot of the FM dial to make it work. I recommend using the AUX input. The sound quality is better. It's easy to find the connector cable at any Radio Shack or Wal-mart.

There is an AUX spot on the back of the stock radio???? :eek: :eek:

Does this hold true on the stock radio in the '02 AV?

If so, how hard is it to pull the radio out??

Back