• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Road Armor Winch Bumper Replacements For Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roadarmor

Hey guys, David the President of the club said I should post this out here to let you know about our products. My name is Mark Hanson, and I am with Road Armor. We manufacture hidden-winch bumpers. We offer products for the Avalanche that you might be interested in. Check us out at http://www.roadarmor.com

Whoa :eek: :eek: Now there are nice looking products ;D
I like the bumber with winch/Grill guard combo. No one around me has anything like that. Got to be expensive,but looks worth it. I would'nt mind having just the bumper with the winch in it. Great looking
chevy11_big.jpg

Hi Mark - I was one of the guys from the club that talked with you guys last summer about your AV plans.

Can you share the ball park price for your bumper? Do you have an pic's with the bumper on an AV?

You guys make some very nice looking products.

All of our bumpers start at $1,450 base model. Our most popular model is the Stealth Series with Dual light mounts and Sport Guard. It sells for $2,125 plus shipping and handling. We can do all sorts of custom work so if you have something in mind let us know. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Mark Hanson
Road Armor

Hey folks I'm going to jump in here. I told the folks at Road Armor that if we had a "CAFCNA Edition" bumper our members would be looking for as the "base model"

1) Front model that blends in nicely with the existing side cladding in design and can take a winch, shackle attachments, and ready for additional fog lights

2) Uses the EXISTING fog and DRL housings from the stock front end. So you still have your amber DRL's and you still have your 899 or 885.

3) Powder coated in either medium gray or charcoal gray to match the 2002 or 2003 cladding

That was what I thought you guys would want. Now additional features like brush guards, additional lights, etc. would be on a custom as quoted basis.

These guys have some pretty darn incredible and good looking stuff.

There is a club member in Houston that bought a front and rear bumper package last week. For a 2002.

First let me say that their products look like they're very well made - high quality welds and finishing and the designs are top notch especially considering they're using steel (not a material that is easily shaped).

However, even though I drive a 2500 with the 8.1-L, I think the bumpers add too much weight for the protection it offers. While I like the idea of adding the winch that's even more weight to the front end. I could be wrong but I'll be the added weight is significant and will affect vehicle handling, balance, tire wear, alignment, etc.

And this is one of the most hideous looking modifications I've ever seen on a vehicle (and yeah, I'm sure some/many of you like this as much as I don't ??? ):
chevy11_big.jpg

To address anyones concerns on weight. Our base bumpers weight roughly 170lbs. If you get a Sport Guard it will boost the weight up to about 200lbs. We have about a 50% weight reduction than our competitors because of the way we design them. All Road Armor replacement front and rear bumpers feature a 3/16" thick solid outer shell backed up by a heavily reinforced ?" thick internal structural sub frame. Road Armor is built from the highest grade ASTM A36 descaled and oiled sheet steel, engineered with a minimum yield of 36,000 PSI. This high-grade steel is clean of any mill scale and presents a superior finish for powder coating that provides years of corrosion protection.

Winch mounting options for an Avalanche is next to impossible without major front end modifications, and vehicle disfigurement. While having a winch is a considerable amount of extra weight to have on the front of any vehicle; I always tell customers that the day they will buy a winch is the day after they really get themselves stuck in a situation a winch could've easily removed them from. However if a winch is not they way people want to go, we also offer a non-winch bumper as well. Keeping the total weight of the bumper around 170-210 pounds with lights etc..

I don't usually suggest the Safari guard to customers, which is in the picture of the Suburban, unless they really dying to have one.

RA

RA - does the price and weight you stated above include the winch installed in the bumper? What size winch goes in your bumper? My local 4x4 shop suggested the Warn 9500 for the AV.

Strobin - I have an idea you are already working a Photoshop version of the Safari guard on your AV ?:cool:

Magic Mtn Dan said:
And this is one of the most hideous looking modifications I've ever seen on a vehicle (and yeah, I'm sure some/many of you like this as much as I don't

Safari Suburban pic omitted this time
My wife commented that it looked like your roof rack cargo bin slid down onto the hood.... ;D I personally thought it would come in handy in those times a guy in front of you hits a deer. I've heard that sometimes they (the deer) can flip up in the air and land on the hood of a vehicle following too close. (Maybe that was a myth, but a good justification, eh?)

Seriousuly, the RoadArmor bumpers look pretty tough. Pretty mean. Yet still functional and fit within the design/aesthetics of the Avalanche. I presume they mount directly to the frame rails--what else would be able to support them? And you knew I would bring this up--how would such a device "change the equation" in the event that an Avalanche say, heads over a sand dune at 20mph and crashes into an opposing sand bank on the other side? Hypothetically, of course...

It is my belief that, while the damage can be extensive and expensive (or so I've heard), the stock bumper and impact bar apparatus actually absorbs a whole bunch of energy minimizing the damage to the rest of the vehicle. With a 200-pound steel edifice on the front woudln't all of the force of any impact be transmitted through the frame? Does RoadArmor have any studies on crash-tests or at least theoretical data on force transmission in a collision with any of their products? I'm not too worried about a vehicular accident--it's a sure bet the RoadArmored Avalanche would be mostly unscathed--I'm thinking along the lines of "Avalanche meets Mother Earth" incidents.

Finally, I like the name RoadArmor as well. Just last week I was driving around town and passed an armored van and thought, "That's what we need--an armor package for the Avalanche." Who will be first to replace their cladding with a 3/16" thick solid outer shell backed by a heavily reinforced 1/4" thick internal structure subframe?

Brendan

No the winch is not included in the price of the bumper. It is extra. I suggest at least a 9,500lb winch for the AV

The Safari Guard Folds Forward To Allow Access To The Engine Right? (probably a dumb question but I just had to ask)

Blueruck said:
Strobin - I have an idea you are already working a Photoshop version of the Safari guard on your AV ?:cool:

Actually I wasn't even thinking that . . . but thanks for the idea I might start one tonight HeHe. . . Glad to know that I'm being recognized as "The Photoshop Guy" around here, must mean I do some good work ;D

I get a kick, out of the name-RoadArmor

I know up here in the Boston area, our drivers are pretty bad :eek: But you guy's must have some serious problem drivers---LOL
Too many homeless people maybe ???

Nice looking product though ;D

I like the looks of the one on the Burb shown in the pic. Now if I just had the money for all of the accessories and mods I want... :cry:

I vote with our Fearless Leader, I like his concept of the base edition. (y)

Stuff does look good but I sort of like the way my stock front end looks.

That safari edition looks like it should be featured on gandolphxxxx's Ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle site :)

Capecruis8der said:
I know up here in the Boston area, our drivers are pretty
With the way people are always trying to make friends with my rear bumper around here :7: I think front and rear Road Armor should be std. equipment for New England! ;D

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cgi/forum/YaBB.pl?board=accessory;action=display;num=1047655643]This Thread[/link] by Fearless Leader.

One thought on an alternative that is not as pretty as Road Armor, but cost 1/3 to 1/2 less is the following

bumper_on_-_final_small.jpg

old_new_AV_small.jpg

Details on a group buy and the price are HERE

There is an option to mount lights in the bumper, which I decided not to do. You can also have a winch box or the 2" receiver so you can use a winch from the front or back.

I really like the road armor product and if I had the additional funds, I would of bought their product instead of having a bumper made.

PM me if you have any questions and I can help hook you up with the guy who makes these - he is not an old friend or family, just a guy I found who wanted to work with me. :)

I am confused about the entire bumper situation ???

Please let me know what is what. Which bumper is from what company? What's up with road armor?

The group buy link did not work from your above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back