• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What Running Boards To Buy?

Chris_Ruddy

Just ordered a black z-66 and im not sure which running boards to purchase. I know the chrome tubular boards would look great but Im concerned they will rust or pit quickly. The standard grey running boards also look good, but there is something about black and chrome together thats hard to beat.Oh, I live in Canada and drive on salted /sanded winter roads. Anybody having trouble with the chrome?

I have the Westin Platinum Series, which are chrome stainless steel, guaranteed not to rust. They also have a center mounting bracket, as well as front and rear mounting brackets, makes for a sturdier mount.

Some of the others I considered did not have the center support, so I felt the combination of chrome stainless and center support made these the best choice.

Just my .02 ;)

sonfour,i know it just doesnt sound proper ordering a z-66 in Canada . I presently own a 2000 pathfinder and use the 4x4 once maybe twice a year. The roads dept. does a pretty good job of clearing the snow and I dont go offroading , anyways the salesman which is a friend of mine has nothing but good things to say about the locking rear end , doesnt think I need the 4x4.

Dar,

Cool, I was just curious. BTW, I also like the chrome and dark color combo (obviously :))

Good luck with your Av!

Yeah, I am in the market for some running boards also.

After some research, I have decided to check out the Westin Platinum Series bars.. I like that it has three mounting brackets... Now to find the best price..

Okay I have the chrome GM bars on my AV for about a year and haven't noticed any pits or rusts, then again I live in SoCal. Good luck on your selection.

CA-AV

I just put on a set of Manick polished stainless bars on. They look very much like the chrome GM bars I saw on the dealers lot. At 424.00 plus tax they were alot less than the factory bars and I think they look just as nice.

I like the wide factory boards I ordered on my '02 so much that I ordered them again for my '03.
With them being so wide I don't get any mud or snow slush splashed on the lower doors ;)

I've had BOTH the GM boards on my Av and the GM Chrome bars. IMHO, the boards (the "assist steps" in GM-speak) are functionally the best choice, you have a nice wide area to step on, they end up protecting the side of the Av from mud and debris kicked up, etc. The Chrome GM bars (had em a year, no rust or pitting yet) look pretty nice if you like the tougher look that you get with the metal tubes, or if you prefer chrome (many many posts on this site about GM Bars vs non-oem bars, many points of view there). Don't get me wrong, you can still use the GM bars as a step, I do it every day, but not as easy to do.

You see I went with looks over pure function and tossed my steps in favor of the bars, plus there is an issue with the boards if you go off-raod in serious fashion.

jackalanche said:
I've had BOTH the GM boards on my Av and the GM Chrome bars. IMHO, the boards (the "assist steps" in GM-speak) are functionally the best choice, you have a nice wide area to step on, they end up protecting the side of the Av from mud and debris kicked up, etc. The Chrome GM bars (had em a year, no rust or pitting yet) look pretty nice if you like the tougher look that you get with the metal tubes, or if you prefer chrome (many many posts on this site about GM Bars vs non-oem bars, many points of view there). Don't get me wrong, you can still use the GM bars as a step, I do it every day, but not as easy to do.

You see I went with looks over pure function and tossed my steps in favor of the bars, plus there is an issue with the boards if you go off-raod in serious fashion.

Second

I'd like to know if the aftermarket side bars (not running boards) fit as well as the factory ones do? Does anybody know who makes them for GM? finally, when building an avalanche on the Canadian GM site (www.gmcanada.com) why does the description for the tubular side steps read "code:BVR polished stainless steel tubular assist steps" and every time I see them referred to as Chrome. Is GM making a mistake? are these really stainless or chromed metal? Would love to know.

Thanks,

Peej80

If you have not received your truck yet then do not order any side steps or nerf bars. Wait until you get the truck and then buy the after market Westins. GM's bars are mounted like crap and they are way overpriced. Ask anyone who has installed the Westins and removed the stock Side Steps. Westin Mounts are a lot better. The Westin Bars are a superior prduct as compared to the stock bars. Period. Don't let anyone in this forum tell you anything else. This topic has come up before. These people are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

While I never argue for the sake of arguing and agree the Westin bars whip the factory stock hands down, the fact is with Westin you are still over-paying for the name. Go with the Bully Nerf bars. They mount in 20 minutes each side with no drilling, look great, are very strong, and cost much less.

Mac, Do you know of a Web site for the Bully's. I heard about them and would like to take a look. My Black Powder Coat Westin Signitures cost me $285. That is a lot of money. It's still a lot cheaper than the assist steps and GM Nerfs. The mounting are stronger also.

Powersurge, see my post on page two in the middle

truckxpressions.com

Their lifetime warranty Bully Stainless go for $288.

MacMan said:
Powersurge, see my post on page two in the middle

truckxpressions.com

Their lifetime warranty Bully Stainless go for $288.
How did they install?
Do they use the Body Mounts or the same holes the Assist Steps use?

Three body mounts, just like the Westins. Pull 3 bolts, install with 3 new bolts and spacers. Took 20 minutes each side. 19 mm socket if I recall. Just have to be carefull on the middle bracket not to strip the screw going into the bar, which will happen if you overtighten.

MacMan said:
Three body mounts, just like the Westins. ?Pull 3 bolts, install with 3 new bolts and spacers. ?Took 20 minutes each side. ?19 mm socket if I recall. ?Just have to be carefull on the middle bracket not to strip the screw going into the bar, which will happen if you overtighten.

Dooooof!!! Man that hurts! Well it was a good find on your part Mac. I'm going to be rubbin my rear now for a bit. ;D

Back