• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

JEFF D SUB BOX SECRETS REVEALED

STEPHEN D

AS A NEW MEMBER, I WOULD FIRST LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCES HERE.  YOU HAVE ALL SAVED ME MANY HOURS OF RESEARCH AND HEADACHES.  I FOUND THIS SUB BOX IDEA ON THIS FORUM, HOWEVER THE ORIGINAL DESIGNER DECIDED TO PROFIT OFF HIS DESIGN INSTEAD OF SHARE HIS KNOWLEDGE WITH FELLOW AVALANCHE OWNERS.  AFTER MANY HOURS OF TRIAL AND ERROR, A FEW SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND A WEEKEND, I HAVE TAKEN THIS IDEA AND MAXIMIZED THE AIRSPACE.  ALONG THE WAY, I DOCUMENTED MY DESIGN AND SAVED IT IN PDF FORM.  I HAVE CHOSEN TO SHARE IT WITH OTHER CHEVYAVALANCHEFANCLUB MEMBERS, IN THE SPIRIT OF THIS FORUM.
install01.jpg

sweet... and welcome to the club. Giving is what this club is all about.

I would be interested in seeing this in your PDF format if you don't mind sending it to my email or PM.

very nice...very clean install.  I think this is what I'm looking for as soon as I can figure out what ot do with all of the crap I have under the seat.

Is that amp a RF 55.2?  looks like the same one I have.

I AM USING TWO KICKER COMP C8'S AND A ROCKFORD FOSGATE PUNCH 45.2 WITH NO INTERFERENCE OF MID-GATE FUNCTION.

install04.jpg

looks very good and detailed.

Gonna look at it tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

This just may be what i've been waiting for!!!!!! I take it that you couldnt get subs that were any deeper in there? How does it sound with 2 8's, i really wanted to go with 10's minimum but i refuse to sacrifice ANY midgate functionality. Thanks for the post

STEPHEN D said:
? ALONG THE WAY, I DOCUMENTED MY DESIGN AND SAVED IT IN PDF FORM.? I HAVE CHOSEN TO SHARE IT WITH OTHER CHEVYAVALANCHEFANCLUB MEMBERS, IN THE SPIRIT OF THIS FORUM.
INSTALL01.jpg

:welcome: to the site Stephan. Great philosophy.

I think i'm going to have to give this a shot.  My carpenter skills are not quite up to par, but I'm willing to try.  :) 

I have a couple of boxes under my seat now and I hate the fact that I can only tilt my midgate to a 45 degree angle so this is perfect. 

I would add pictures but they are on a computer at home.  I"ll add later what I've got currently. Thanks for the design, that will help a lot. 

This set-up is not for everyone.? It will vibrate the rear-view mirror, but won't win any SPL contests.? I already had a pair of 10" subs, and really wanted to make them work in this vehicle.? However, I did not want to modify the truck or have to move anything to use the mid-gate.? This is the perfect set-up for me.? It adds impact and low end to the factory Bose system, and I can jam with the seats up or down.?

Notes:? These boxes are small, even for 8's.? I added a little polyfill, which helped.? The new subs are sounding better and playing lower each day with break-in.? I also used a 25hz subsonic filter, to keep them from trying to play too low.? My gain on the amp is set at 1/2, and the bass on the factory headunit is turned almost all the way down.?

:welcome: to the club and nice work >:D

Great job stephen....

Now how did you remove the carpet padding  where the box sits, did u also have to remove the carpet too???

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and great questions!

In order to install the amp wires and the sub boxes, I removed the rear seat (actually I just tipped it forward).? Then I pulled the carpet back and cut out the padding directly beneath where the sub boxes were going.? This gained about an additional 3/8".? The factory carpet remains intact.

:welcome:

Stephen,

Members like you are truly an asset to the club.......

Now why didn't you do this and post the information 8 months ago....... :kidding:

Great setup.

PLEASE NOTE:

The measurements given are outside box dimensions, NOT CUTTING SPECS!? You will have to figure your own compound angles.? Also, if anyone does use this design, please send me a picture when you get done.

Thanks again & good luck!
Stephen D.

Back