• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Use skid plate to jack up truck?

mountainstoner

I slid under the front of the truck last night looking for a spot to place the floor jack.  The front crossmember is covered by the plastic splash guard thingie and the skid plate.  Closer inspection shows that the skid plate does not sit flush on the crossmember, but is slightly raised on the two bosses where it is bolted.  If I jack up the truck at the point where the skid plate meets the crossmember, it looks like it might bend.

Is there a better spot from which to jack the front of the truck, will the skid plate in fact support the weight of the truck without bending, or must I just jack one side of the truck at a time?

Thanx!

I doubt the aluminum skid plate can hold that much weight. I would not try it :D

The plate will bend if you're trying to lift both wheels off at the same time.  If you absolutely have to, use a board-2X4-between the jack & skid to distribute the weight.  Ideally, you should be lifting from the corners under the lower control arm.

BTW, you'll need a tall lift if lifting from the center as the wheels will droop.

I was able to use the frame (crossmember) on mine but I do not have the skid plate.  With that said, I wouldn?t use the sikd plate

WhiteHot said:
WTF my 05 is friggin PLASTIC! :needhug:

Z71 has real skid plates.  Z66 and others don't have skid plates, the plastic you're looking at is a shield :)

DougD said:
Z71 has real skid plates.? Z66 and others don't have skid plates, the plastic you're looking at is a shield :)

Guess I should pay attention more often. hehe.  So the plastic shield is covering the skid plate? It is an 05 Z71.  It s in the shop and probably wont get it back til monday

lift one side at a time...and use floor stands IMO

WhiteHot said:
Guess I should pay attention more often. hehe. So the plastic shield is covering the skid plate? It is an 05 Z71. It s in the shop and probably wont get it back til monday

Ahh, you have a Z71?  You may not be looking at the right place for the skid plate, or it's a decontented item.

DougD said:
Ahh, you have a Z71?? You may not be looking at the right place for the skid plate, or it's a decontented item.

I think they switched to plastic.  Its in the same place and same design just plastic.  covers under the pullies and ends (mechanically challenged) front cross member, axcel, what ever.  Thats ok, when the lift goes on I'll get a real one hehehe!

In the tech section I found Sperry's excellent write-up on lifting/jacking the Av:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,45517.0.html

I use a 3" square of 1/2" plywood as a spacer
to fill between the plastic shield and front crossmember.
This takes out the flex in plastic and
makes for solid lift point in front center of truck.

Back