• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Took a Sawzall and cutting Wheel to my AV !

OviedoAV

SM 2004
Well, about 3 years ago, I saw a some info on this mod. Unfortunately, it no longer exists (as far as I can tell). SJudson originally did this a few years back, so I can't take credit for the idea. Here are some pics, and info to follow. After getting my Snugtop this month, I really missed having my side box storage. So, a few trips to the boat store to find the hatch covers, and I was ready. Unfortunately, I meant to pre mark where the boxes were, from the inside, so I would have an idea where to cut. I never got around to it, so, I guessed and started cutting. Got lucky and hit the right locations. Cutting the metal was the easiest, the 2 layers of plastic were the worst. I used regular boat hatch covers for the holes. Everything went fairly easy, no big suprises. I did put one coat of Gatorback Black on them before calling it quits. To dark for painted pics, but I will get some tomorrow with the second coat on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 607
More....

First and second layers cut out.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 599
very nice.  I don't think I could cut a hole that large in my Av.

How hard was it to start the process?  How long did you just sit there looking at it before you actually started?

Ty, they are the stock saddlebags, you just get to them from inside the bed now, instead of from the top. It actually kind of works out better this way. I did have to Mount them as I as I did, so they would still open with my homemade bedslide. I will try to get some more pics for you tommorrow, Ty!

PS...go to bed! >:D

Actually Byron, I just hurried up and did it, before I chickened out. Got up real early this morning, and started cutting before the wife got up, so she wouldn't freak out on me. They were very large holes, and looked nasty before installing the covers.? It was very easy to start, just made a template( Didn't notice the one inside of the box :rolleyes:? ) and started cutting along the lines with a grinder.

I remember the one SJudson did and it was a cool mod then too.  You should be able to take the credit for being the second member.  Nice work and very cool mod! (y) (y)

Loggie said:
I remember the one SJudson did and it was a cool mod then too.  You should be able to take the credit for being the second member.  Nice work and very cool mod! (y) (y)
AVKing did one also  (y)

wildfire said:
AVKing did one also? (y)

?okay, make that the third person >:D

Very cool.  That definitely took some real guts.  (y)

Awesome Dave! I'm sorry I couldnt find those SJudson pics for ya. I know I had them at one time  :rolleyes: but GREAT JOB! cant wait to see them black and in person :woot:

mikenmo23 said:
Awesome Dave! I'm sorry I couldn't find those SJudson pics for ya.

Yea, thanks allot for that! ;) :-*  They would have been a help, as I really was not where to cut, and I just knew that I was going to cut them wrong. I got really lucky though. I was just thinking how all of the  "type A" people on here would have been having a heart attack, not having the proper measurements and all. I will go out and get some more pics soon.

Can you tell me what the size of the opening is? I have a little project that involves dogs that these hatch covers may come in handy for! :cool:

When you were looking for them did you find different sizes and different types of openings?

Butch

Butch, the covers are 11X15,  and the holes are 8.5X12.5 aprx. They are about the smallest hatch covers (square) that I could fine. I was worried that they would be to large, but they fit perfectly.

looks good dave.. now where are the pics with them painted black?

Ov, thanks, I can picture what it looks like now.....no pics needed. I wasn't sure if there was an extra storage area I didn't know about! LOL. Thanks anyway for the pics, but I can picture it now.

PS - Weekends don't count!  >:D >:D >:D

-Ty

Thanks, I looked on eBay and found exactly what I need!

Butch

Since you have the hatches and have done the mod, would you please look at something for me?

Do you think one of these would fit in the midgate behind the 40 part of the 60/40 seat? I'd love to have access from bed to cab for the dogs or to haul a few long boards without having to move the whole back seat. Think of it as a poor-man's splitgate. (YGMN is the first one to post the idea, I think.)

Back