• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Bummed out

Submariner

Brought the AV in to the dealer to have it buffed and waxed yesterday morning. When I started it I got the Service Brake Booster Msg. I figured perfect timing since the AV is under warranty for about another month. Drove it over, showed the msg to the body shop manager and my salesman (Service was closed) he noted it and was going to let service know Monday. Came back 4 hours later and found out the reduced engine power msg came on when he drove it into the detailing bay.  :E: Now I'm driving a 99 Dodge stratus  :9: and really do miss the AV. I hope it's nothing serious and I get it back tomorrow.  :needhug: I guess I shouldn't complain because it's still under warranty but I hate having my baby anyplace else but in my garage. I get so worried when she's left out in the open parking lot with nobody to look after her.  :(

Buy an extended warranty, or a new truck...
I paid $680 for the GMPP and got a $3000 repair 4 months later. Vehicles out of warranty are not worth owning.

DaveP28 said:
Buy an extended warranty, or a new truck...
I paid $680 for the GMPP and got a $3000 repair 4 months later. Vehicles out of warranty are not worth owning.

Actually Consumer reports and the likes state that given the quality of vehicles built nowadays normally an extended warranty is a waste of money. That being said it does give people piece of mind knowing they are covered and in your case it was well worth the investment. I have owned 40+ different vehicles of all different ages, makes and models and have not had any major issues out of warranty with any of them so normally I consider extended warranties a waste of money. I do however tend to trade at least one of my vehicles a year and instead of sinking money into a car or truck I would just up and trade it for something else. In this case I'm still in warranty so these repairs will be covered . Since I bought it to pull my camper (and I've allways wanted an AV) I do plan on keeping it awhile so I'll inquire at the dealership as to the price of an extended warranty when I pick up the truck.

Generally I agree that extended warrantees are a waste of money. But, considering all of the things that there are to go bad on a 4X4 and the cost when they do, an extended warrantee isn't such a bad idea.

i am going to extend mine before it runs out for sure.  just to be on the safe side.  especially since i have made my mind up to pay this thing off.

Seems the reduced engine power was due to a voltage drop. They are not sure about the brake booster msg and said it wasn't covered under the 3 month 3000 mile warranty. I'm taking it to a Chevy garage (Bought it used at a Dodge dealership) next Monday and maybe they can figure it out.

Did a few more tests last night and today. It seems my after market remote starter is probably causing the service brake booster msg. When I the msg Saturday I used the remote to start it. Last night I cleared the msg (Pulled the pos bat cable) started the truck 10 times with no issues. Then I tried it with the remote starter and I got the msg. Today I cleared it again and went thru the same routine with no problems so to me it looks like it's an intermediate issue. The previous owner had it installed so I think I'll spend the $40 to have it removed. In the meantime I have disabled the remote starter.

Back